Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starship Arcadia
Dec 31, 2009

Winter is fine, but I hate summer.

Captain Capitalism posted:

Yeah...

So, I got this game when the thread opened, and this part disturbed me so much I turned it off immediately and haven't opened it up again since.

I don't know if I'll even follow this thread from here on out, because this messed with me. Wish I had taken the warning more seriously.

I normally have a pretty good handle on what I can recommend to which of my friends, but I've been extra careful to tell people to take the warnings seriously for this one. I mean, I'm basically dead inside but this goofed me up pretty handily. The writing and sound design in this game is killer, from the cute stuff to... the dark stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That scene was pretty well done. The soundtrack really makes it hit home what just happened, and the visual glitching just makes it so unsettling. I really dig this sort of stuff, so it was both amazing and horrible at the same time. It left me silent for a bit to process it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
May want to Polsy the video because it spoils some things on the sidebar. Thanks, Youtube.

Anyway, yeah. The reveal caught me off-guard so good even though I saw it coming like a mile away. The music sells it a lot more than the image to me, but together, it's just incredibly off-putting.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

bgm title: Sayo-nara
And that scene is horrifically well done. That visual effect really looks like she's still swaying. :gonk:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

quote:

[i]But...maybe I should have gone to wake her up after all?

: I mean, especially after your exchange with her yesterday...you kind of left her hanging this morning, you know?

Monika knew exactly what she was saying here. :catstare:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Now that I've collected my thoughts a little...

The effects really are excellently done. It's not a tragic scene, it's a horror one. The music isn't sad, it's wrong, as though it's playing the wrong file at the wrong speed. The game tries and fails to restart in the background. Everything about it is played as so outright off that it just highlights how hauntingly realistic the situation is.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Is... Is Monika a sociopath? Because it sure seems like she actively encouraged Sayori to hang herself, then made jokes about it to the person that considered her his best friend.

What the gently caress?

WHAT THE gently caress?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CrashScreen posted:

That scene was pretty well done. The soundtrack really makes it hit home what just happened, and the visual glitching just makes it so unsettling. I really dig this sort of stuff, so it was both amazing and horrible at the same time. It left me silent for a bit to process it.

Yeah even though I already assumed something like this was coming, what with the warnings and all, it's presented so well it still made a real emotional punch. When our protagonist said he was about to vomit, you can totally believe it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

doki doki isn't okie-dokie

why are her hands bloody and her clothes ripped?

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 21, 2017

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
:stare:

jesus loving christ

I watched the video before scrolling down because I misread the text above it. "Hmm, required viewing before tomorrow's update? Okay!" :gonk:

Miz Kriss fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 21, 2017

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

doki doki isn't okie-dokie

why are her hands bloody and her clothes ripped?

I was just about to post that. It almost looks like she changed her mind and was trying to survive.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I was just about to post that. It almost looks like she changed her mind and was trying to survive.

:eyepop:

I didn't actually notice that, but you're probably right. That's really morbid.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oh no. Oh no no no.

Quick Roar, reload the save, I want a redo! :(

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CrashScreen posted:

:eyepop:

I didn't actually notice that, but you're probably right. That's really morbid.

Her hands are bloody and the clothes around her neck are torn, and the thing about hanging is that if you don't give yourself enough fall distance to break your neck when you drop, you die an agonizing death of asphyxiation.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 21, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wait, was that Monika in the background of dead Sayori?

What the gently caress Monika, we thought you were cool!

EDIT: Where are Sayori's parents?

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 21, 2017

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Monika is the abuser out of this group, isn't she? She clearly knows what she's doing and saying.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Monika is the abuser out of this group, isn't she? She clearly knows what she's doing and saying.

I'd guess she's an outright psychopath. Abuse is usually more about asserting control; Monika seems to have been trying to directly destroy Sayori without any sign of remorse.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Could be, or it could be just basic instincts of survival kicking in. Even if you conciously go for suicide, your body instinctly go for self-preservation mode if you are really close to death, and considering how Sayori did not judge the distance well, there's a chance that she was slowly inching towards her death instead of a quick snap, and ample enought time that self-preservation isntincts to kick in. Not that it helped her live.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

Somehow I can't help but think that I'm OK without that.

Yep, I was right.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

ArcadePark posted:

Could be, or it could be just basic instincts of survival kicking in. Even if you conciously go for suicide, your body instinctly go for self-preservation mode if you are really close to death, and considering how Sayori did not judge the distance well, there's a chance that she was slowly inching towards her death instead of a quick snap, and ample enought time that self-preservation isntincts to kick in. Not that it helped her live.

That may be true, but the fact they made sure to include that in the random anime-style VN is disturbing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Unless the renpy exception in the background actually plays into the plot somehow ("trapped in a bad end VN send help") I think it was a mistake to include. It almost made me laugh which is probably not the intention.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I said we should just play age of empires :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sindai posted:

Unless the renpy exception in the background actually plays into the plot somehow ("trapped in a bad end VN send help") I think it was a mistake to include. It almost made me laugh which is probably not the intention.

It all seems to be trying a little too hard surrounding what happens.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Is Monika even a person? I mean, she's broken the fourth wall a number of times already.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Yup that Sayori scene is pretty much the turning point for the rest of the game.

From now on the game earns its Psychological-Horror tag.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I was wondering if we were gonna get here today.

While I was going through this a couple days ago I was very much in the same spot where, while I didn't see this coming a mile away (more like half a mile? idk), I got a little nervous when we went up to her room the first time before actually seeing her. The second time, I went ahead, rear end in a top hat clenched and nervous about sudden, deafening silence, and still thinking, "They're not gonna do that this early, right? Like it's coming, but this is a fake out? Please?"

But they didn't. They didn't pull a fake out. And I'm pretty desensitized to some horror and it still rattled me. Most of it wasn't even in the moment, either, because I got preoccupied with everything else, but later, when I was trying to go to sleep, that image wouldn't go away. I just kept seeing her and hearing that music which, by the way, is amazingly well done. Just...you know. Time and place.

I don't know what I was expecting, given all of the word of mouth about this game, and I was probably expecting something similar, but not that. Not something done so well with that much attention to detail from a free VN.

And then today, I see the update, and I think "Ahhh, finally" and can't wait to revel in everyone's reactions. I see that Roar made a video and I think, "Hmm, well, I don't need to click on it, I've already seen it."

Then I clicked on it again. :argh:

I think the silence leading up to that point made it hit a lot harder, imo. That's why everything before it lasts as long as it does. You get so used to the music constantly playing, with the only pauses being between song transitions, the sudden silence is really unnerving and amps up the dread.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...so I realize it says "end", but life isn't so convenient to end like that. I'd lay even odds that it just kept going.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh you jerk. :mad:

Hahaha, drat, Roar.

ninja edit: also, while I certainly wasn't as affected as some people (maybe I truly AM dead inside--though the music sting did jump-scare me), I think of all the characters, I was most saddened to see Sayori go.

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 21, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I admit I was able to handle Sayori's suicide pretty well, mainly because I was mentally bracing myself for it the second I saw that poem. I'd been expecting something to go wrong given the content warning, and...well...

Also, credit to Roar for bringing this hidden gem to my attention, because it got me to play through it blind and...well. I'm definitely...well "glad" isn't a good word in this situation but I do appreciate that I got to experience that blind for sure.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I played to and past this point some time ago, so I'm afraid to reveal more than I should. That said, I want to encourage those who were disturbed and are wavering to try and stick with this. I think it's a worthwhile game to experience in some way and that it will change your life. By giving you nightmares. Technically, that's a change.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 21, 2017

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Hi guys. :)

I wanted to take a moment to apologize for the blindside back there, even though it was fairly telegraphed that something along those lines would go down. I strongly considered doing another warning to brace yourself, but "HEY THERE'S SOMETHING REALLY BIG AND SAD COMING" kind of makes it lose its effect. The best I could say without spoilers is that the warnings at the beginning are absolutely still in effect and should be considered with every single update moving forward.

GeneralYeti posted:

The discordance on Sayo-Nara is just enough to make that scene hit even harder oh my god

I've had to hear at least parts of Sayo-Nara like a dozen times today while making sure this update was just right. I hate it and never want to hear it again :(

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh you jerk. :mad:

Ha ha, I forgot I wrote that.

I didn't forget to take a screenshot :)

A Bystander posted:

May want to Polsy the video because it spoils some things on the sidebar. Thanks, Youtube.

Oh god, sorry - super fixed.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Wait, was that Monika in the background of dead Sayori?

What the gently caress Monika, we thought you were cool!

If you mean during the discovery distortions, Yuri pops up as well.

quote:

EDIT: Where are Sayori's parents?

The DDLC wiki says that the developer has her age set at 18 - she very well could live on her own.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

18 year old high schoolers?! :thunk:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Just like all my japanese animes

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Senior year, duh.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
Contrary to popular belief, there are statutory laws that ban showing sex involving minors, even in ficiotnal works like anime, manga, and LN. However, all of these 18+ games in Japan bypass this law by stating that all the characters are 18+ in age in their prior warning, because how the gently caress do you prove otherwise when the artist who created these characters say they are 18/19/20/2000 year old despite looking 10.

In this game, however, I imagine its a little shoutout to such practice in the industry.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Synthbuttrange posted:

they had to repeat a few grades.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Sigh, gotta look this up. They keep on telling me it's going to get interesting.

Wait....

What....

:stare:

:stonk:

:five:

:suspense:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I have to say, the game is honestly one of the best depictions of depression I've seen in any media, let alone a game.

It's the little hints. She oversleeps. She spaces out, but acts energetic like nothing was wrong. She distances herself from her friends. She takes less care in her appearance. She gets upset at people who try to help her because it makes the decision to end everything all that much harder, and the way she seems like she might be okay being the moment she decided she's going to kill herself...

All of it just hits really close to home. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This game makes me cross, because I want to play it and see something that maybe for once more or less accurately depicts my own irregular depression bouts, but then we get things like That Scene (which I accidentally spoilt myself on previously) and I have to go lie down for a very long while and remember to never open the game again for my own sake

So I guess I get to miss out on the rest of this one in LP or otherwise :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm curious if this would have been avoidable had we went with Sayori to begin with. Since there seems to be something wrong with all of the characters I imagine that would just change who ends up dead, though.

Also - could be a twist and it wasn't suicide at all but murder? Monika seems to know more than she's letting on and it might explain the blood.

• Locked thread