Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If I live through the weird performance art of my life for thirty plus years to eventually get killed by a giant bird...well...I had a joke here but that actually seems about right.

Unrelated - Let us know about that little Quaker foot! I'm curious how the vet thinks it happened. Such an odd place for a bird to tear up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Canada geese can get hosed tbqh

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tsaedje posted:

Canada geese can get hosed tbqh

I've been saying this since before it was cool. My ex had an uncle who lost a ball, as in a testicle, to a goose.

She wanted me to come to her farm and clear out their "geese infestation" but luckily we split before I was inevitable castrated by an angry overgrown roving band of rear end in a top hat ducks.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Captain Log posted:

Unrelated - Let us know about that little Quaker foot! I'm curious how the vet thinks it happened. Such an odd place for a bird to tear up.
Vet says it's an infection, but she's not sure what kind. She said she usually sees the symptoms in older or unhealthier birds, but other than this Bonnie's a happy and healthy bird. Got some silver sulfadiazine to smear on her feet twice a day. Going to keep at it and observe. Probably should take photos every morning, now that I think of it.
I can barely read the vet's handwriting, but I think it says she's still 86 grams, which is odd considering how much she loves to stuff her face - must be pooping out the extra weight everywhere.
I'm rearranging her cage bit by bit, and added a flat board perch to the outside to keep her from perching on the rim of the cage.

Do parrots chew their cud or something? I occasionally hear Bonnie making chewing noises in her cage, even when she hasn't had anything to eat recently. I think she does it most when she's settling down for the night.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you're talking about beak grinding, that's super normal.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that sounds like beak grinding if it's when she's heading off to sleep. It means she is a relaxed and happy birb.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Oh, that does make sense. I hadn't recognized it as such - I'll listen for it next time.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ritz got his bracelet above his elbow again last night, happens probably annually, no idea how he even does it. Once it's up there he starts freaking out and tries to chew it off, so I towel him and straighten out his leg and bloop, it's right back to normal.

I swear, so dramatic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

For any budgie:
Budgie: Halp, I got a feather caught in my face, please make it go away!! This is making me freak out!!
*human reaches for the feather*
Budgie: DON'T TOUCH ME! *flies away*

I always have to do the trick where I say "Gimme a kiss" and the temporary distraction from feather-face is enough that I can grab the feather with my mouth.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Rockopolis posted:

Oh, that does make sense. I hadn't recognized it as such - I'll listen for it next time.

Parrots also have a thing called a crop, in which they digest food by grinding it around creating little clicks. It's what made the myth of birds needing gravel in their cage.

Also, I was visiting with The Terror (the quaker I'm loving) and saw something that made me burst into laughter. I've never seen this before.

A cone of shame for the bird! The store owner said she was sent home in a blue one, so he instantly ordered one in pink. :3:

I got to spend some more time with the owner and I'm not at all concerned about him anymore. I must have caught him on an off day when we met previously. I'm likely to need a part time job to get my body back to where I can work full time. I think working in a legit bird store could be an awesome experience.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqxZKUaNQk

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Given a foot and a half of perch: *must occupy just the end, I wonder if I can boop the other guy off too*

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
https://imgur.com/JKWB5pT

*edit*

No I'm not sure that bird can survive without scritchies either.

DrakIris fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 19, 2017

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
A bird in the hand is worth... a bird on the foot?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Got an email from the vet saying that absent other symptoms it could be the nails. I got them trimmed recently, so I hope it's as simple as that and she gets better.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I got to hold a Cape Parrot today and I live in North America!

It was incredibly heavy for a medium/large sized bird. It also was scared of spoken English and would lean away when I spoke. But bird noises? No problem.

They were also boarding a slender billed cockatoo that I got to play with a bit. Whenever I'm in a committed long term relationship, I'm getting a cockatoo.

Next week I have three doc's visits that will determine if I need three separate surgical procedures - but once I know how that goes, I'm putting a deposit on Mr. Quaker. I don't want my first month with a bird to be me on the couch with a new ankle. The bird would think we lived in the same cage!

Rockopolis posted:

Got an email from the vet saying that absent other symptoms it could be the nails. I got them trimmed recently, so I hope it's as simple as that and she gets better.

That's such good news. May I ask what type of perches you use? Once in a blue moon, I've heard of perches exaggerating bird foot problems.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Two rope perches, one branch, a sand perch, a half log flat perch, and a board flat perch. There is a dowel build into the playtop of the cage. I also have a desk perch.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Rockopolis posted:

Two rope perches, one branch, a sand perch, a half log flat perch, and a board flat perch. There is a dowel build into the playtop of the cage. I also have a desk perch.

I'd double check them all by hand and make sure nothing has a burr on it. A scratch can become pretty easy if their is a rough spot.

That habitat sounds like a lovely setup.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
The bad thing about working enough that I have enough money to really get another parrot and care for it in a really fantastic way, even with the cat, is that also means I'm working enough that I really shouldn't get a parrot right now unless I am prepared to get two of them, and I am not fully prepared for that at this point. I've never had a multi bird household as an adult.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tendai posted:

The bad thing about working enough that I have enough money to really get another parrot and care for it in a really fantastic way, even with the cat, is that also means I'm working enough that I really shouldn't get a parrot right now unless I am prepared to get two of them, and I am not fully prepared for that at this point. I've never had a multi bird household as an adult.

Before we all pester you to get ALL THE BIRBS! what type are we talking about? Battle Pigeon keeps a cool mixture between Ohtori and Steve. I had parakeets and cockatiels. Hell, some old posters had multiple macaw level birds.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

and Inko :colbert:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

I'll be in the shame corner.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Something suitable for an apartment, so no cockatoos or the like. No sun conures either. I'm honestly kind of tempted to revert to my first childhood bird that was actually mine and get some budgies. But I really need to see how the next few months pan out work wise and time-wise before I make any move like that.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Hell, some old posters had multiple macaw level birds.

one day this will be me...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tendai posted:

Something suitable for an apartment, so no cockatoos or the like. No sun conures either. I'm honestly kind of tempted to revert to my first childhood bird that was actually mine and get some budgies. But I really need to see how the next few months pan out work wise and time-wise before I make any move like that.

Your avatar holds the answer.

GoldStandardConure posted:

one day this will be me...

This all hinges on my impending medical fun, but if I end up working in that bird shop - the owner doesn’t look far from retirement...I have been looking to open a business in the next year or two...poo poo.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Tendai posted:

Clearly you need a pair of Bourke's Parakeets.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am also tempted by whatever kind of finch (?) I often see in Japanese twitter videos with the V shaped beak and they're all twittery and cute.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tendai posted:

I am also tempted by whatever kind of finch (?) I often see in Japanese twitter videos with the V shaped beak and they're all twittery and cute.

Pictures

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ry7AyDBHMY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U--TKipSGu0

Tendai posted:

Java sparrow maybe?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That's them, I wonder how available they are in the US. Time to do some research. I kind of like the idea that for the same amount of money that I can get a reasonably sized cage for say a cockatiel, I could get a gently caress off big cage for a tiny bird like that.

Edit

drat, my research is telling me that they do much better in flocks larger than just a couple Birds. Alas an Aviary is out of my reach right now. Parrotlets and other smaller parakeets like linnie's they're also on my list, I just don't know how loud they get when they are going full bore. I've only ever seen quiet ones and babies. Tub full of baby parrotlets is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, they were peeping so angrily.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 22, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Tendai posted:

That's them, I wonder how available they are in the US. Time to do some research. I kind of like the idea that for the same amount of money that I can get a reasonably sized cage for say a cockatiel, I could get a gently caress off big cage for a tiny bird like that.

Edit

drat, my research is telling me that they do much better in flocks larger than just a couple Birds. Alas an Aviary is out of my reach right now. Parrotlets and other smaller parakeets like linnie's they're also on my list, I just don't know how loud they get when they are going full bore. I've only ever seen quiet ones and babies. Tub full of baby parrotlets is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, they were peeping so angrily.

May I ask whereabouts in the US you are located? Owl finches are expensive but VERY much look like they are drawn by hand and animated.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh my GOD that is a cute finch.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Tendai posted:

Edit

Parrotlets are actually squeaky toys brought to life by some sort of magic spell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0tF-bXAhqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AlanuqpRRY

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I got bitten by a cat and now I can't stop thinking about eating my birbs, send help!!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have convinced a new friend to like birds by showing him endless pictures of STEVE! He is very beloved, Battle Pigeon! Thank you!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

oh my GOD that is a cute finch.

Since I made friends with that bird store owner, I’ll have My own pictures of them to send if you like. :)

They are so cute but somehow look more exotic than the gouldians.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 22, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I got bitten by a cat and now I can't stop thinking about eating my birbs, send help!!

Don't eat your birbs

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Captain Log posted:

Since I made friends with that bird store owner, I’ll have actual pictures of them to send if you like. :)

They are so cute but somehow look more exotic than the gouldians.

Are they perpetual beepers like zebras?

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Do you guys have any recommendations for bird-warming things? We have a heated perch that Nugget really loves, but Ozzy doesn't like to sit on it. The radiators in our apartment are really obnoxious, it's either 85F or 65F and apparently no setting in between. 65F seems the better option to not have an insane electric bill but I know at least Nugget likes something warm when it's that cool.

Ozzy doesn't like the cozy hut/bed things we've tried in the past. I was thinking maybe one of these things since he is a conure and therefore loves to cuddle/lean on things: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLA19FW
Anyone tried one of these with their bird? The reviews sound pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

little_firebird posted:

Are they perpetual beepers like zebras?

Not that I've noticed, but the finch room is pretty packed. They might just shut up when I walk in.

I'll grab some pictures next time I visit. If you want any other pictures of hard to find birds (no aracaris :( ) just let me know!