Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

There are only two episodes

Ya so if you watch the first one and you’re like “eh” you can watch the second and be like “eh?!” And continue

dogsicle posted:

i would rephrase this as "episode 2 of inuyashiki is good, you may like it even if you didn't enjoy the first." since that is what happened to me.

That’s fair. I was debating dropping it after ep1 but ep2 has me solidly in the follow through camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i'm very surprised that the show with an emotionless serial killing teen was more edgy than polygamy

Edginess isnt about how grisly the murder is.

Also, s not even that he was emotionless, but he actively sought out people who he could basically torture as he killed them. And then there was the end of the bathroom scene that it seemed like he didn't even plan, but the show made happen as if to make him happy. Its exceptionally hosed up.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Edginess isnt about how grisly the murder is.

Also, s not even that he was emotionless, but he actively sought out people who he could basically torture as he killed them. And then there was the end of the bathroom scene that it seemed like he didn't even plan, but the show made happen as if to make him happy. Its exceptionally hosed up.

i mean, it's by the gantz author so the content is pretty par for the course. my bad if you aren't familiar with his stuff though. and it was more a jab at putting IBO's goofy utopian polygamist relationship anywhere near "edgy."

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

edginess isn't about how grisly a murder is it's about how happy consenting people in a poly relationship are

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm still liking Just Because a lot

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

looks like Garo still has another week before it wraps up introducing the full cast, but eps 2 and 3 were much stronger than the first and seem to have almost entirely done away with the shakycam and significantly lessened the cg. definitely worth a shot if you're into hyperviolent OVAs from the 80's.

This most recent episode was the most standard heist episode ever made.

Do any of the previous Garo series do interesting things or is it all as generic as this?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i mean, it's by the gantz author so the content is pretty par for the course. my bad if you aren't familiar with his stuff though. and it was more a jab at putting IBO's goofy utopian polygamist relationship anywhere near "edgy."

I tried reading the first few chapters and dropped it some time back. There's something about the way he presents the characters and setting that felt... exploitative? Im not sure how else to describe it. Ot didn't sit well with me.

Also being edgy has nothing to do with consent. Its about societal perception and acceptability. When was the last time you heard of an openly polygamous relationship consisting of dozens of women?

Im not saying that Naze and co are bad characters and they have no place in the show - far from it, they're integral- but that their relationship would be considered hosed up in our modern society.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I tried reading the first few chapters and dropped it some time back. There's something about the way he presents the characters and setting that felt... exploitative? Im not sure how else to describe it. Ot didn't sit well with me.

Also being edgy has nothing to do with consent. Its about societal perception and acceptability. When was the last time you heard of an openly polygamous relationship consisting of dozens of women?

Im not saying that Naze and co are bad characters and they have no place in the show - far from it, they're integral- but that their relationship would be considered hosed up in our modern society.

to me, edgy carries more of a context of gratuitous violence/darkness than pushing the boundaries of irl society. but i can see where you're coming from. polyamory is a concept that i think is pretty known in lgbtq circles and is widely practiced, so poly relationships maybe don't carry the same stigma in my eyes/social bubble either.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Whales e2 was pretty good, with a :wth: shocking twist :wth: at the end.

dogsicle posted:

it's been okay so far, i think 3 and 4 will be the real test as to its quality, since they're potentially kicking the story into a more generic path.

I kinda agree with this. It'll at least be pretty, though, so I'll keep watching.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Man, Girls last tour and Just Because really mellow you out... some of the most wonderfully relaxing stuff since Non Non Biyori or Barakamon.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
That bathtub scene in Inuyashiky is a very hard watch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm watching nothing this season and playing videogames instead.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I'd previously seen a couple episodes of Fumoffu several years ago, so I decided to watch the first episode of the actual main series.

II'd forgotten the focus on Kana being a nerd; I guess her tsundere-ness had overshadowed it in my memory, or maybe it just didn't come up in the episodes I watched.

Kurz's pervert shtick is really annoying; hopefully he'll get sidelined soon. Sosuke is funny, though.

The idea that an actual elite military guy would read Soldier of Fortune made me raise an eyebrow; I was under the impression that magazines like that were aimed at...well, at the type of fantasist the other students assumed Sosuke was. Sometimes I think the lack of actual wars in Japan gives people weird ideas about modern wars...but on the other hand, there's a lot of people with weird ideas about modern wars in the US too (that's why publications like Soldier of Fortune exist). Yes, I realize it's a throwaway line I shouldn't be over-analyzing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sosuke is exactly the sort of person who would read a dumb gun magazine for nerds while also actually being in the military though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I mean, it says "soldier" on it. They wouldn't lie.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Speaking of Full Metal Panic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiT4YE7FR0E

Spring 2018, made by Xebec

Tamba fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 21, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
From what I’d seen about Inuyashiki, I’d been getting a rather offputting ‘old man yells at cloud about The Youth Of Today’ vibe off it. Is that actually tolerable?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

He's just a sweet, lonely old man.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

I know the MC is, but what about the author?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I know the MC is, but what about the author?

scum

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Death of the author

Literally

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

CrashScreen posted:

Middle-aged man. He just looks and moves like he's 80 (Hence the daughter lying and saying that he's her grandfather... I don't know why "looks 40 years older than he is" is a plot point, but it is).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver2195 posted:

I'd previously seen a couple episodes of Fumoffu several years ago, so I decided to watch the first episode of the actual main series.

II'd forgotten the focus on Kana being a nerd; I guess her tsundere-ness had overshadowed it in my memory, or maybe it just didn't come up in the episodes I watched.

Kurz's pervert shtick is really annoying; hopefully he'll get sidelined soon. Sosuke is funny, though.

The idea that an actual elite military guy would read Soldier of Fortune made me raise an eyebrow; I was under the impression that magazines like that were aimed at...well, at the type of fantasist the other students assumed Sosuke was. Sometimes I think the lack of actual wars in Japan gives people weird ideas about modern wars...but on the other hand, there's a lot of people with weird ideas about modern wars in the US too (that's why publications like Soldier of Fortune exist). Yes, I realize it's a throwaway line I shouldn't be over-analyzing.

Sidelining Kurtz was the best decision Fumoffu made

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ViggyNash posted:

Man, Girls last tour and Just Because really mellow you out... some of the most wonderfully relaxing stuff since Non Non Biyori or Barakamon.

Girls Last Tour is not a relaxing show for me. I think there's a constant undercurrent of tension much of the time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is Girls Last Tour streaming anywhere?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Is Girls Last Tour streaming anywhere?

ya

On Strike.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Crunchyroll?
Lol

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 21, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is quite tragic.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

From what I’d seen about Inuyashiki, I’d been getting a rather offputting ‘old man yells at cloud about The Youth Of Today’ vibe off it. Is that actually tolerable?

the second episode went so over the top in showing how evil the robot teen is that the anti-youth stuff really lost its fangs for me.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/yurucamp_anime/status/921662474645995520

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nyah, see?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like the level of absurd violence takes any thesis this show could be saying about the sociopathy of young people to just a comical spectacle at how bad of a person every 20 year old is. The OP makes it look like the old man will make some cool younger friends tho.

My big draw to Inuyashiki right now is the cyborg body horror cause I'm a weirdo. like the OP just having shots of their bodies opening, clicking and closing, the old man screaming in fear as his cyborg head unfolds to show his "core", him expelling his stomach contents through his arm cannon etc. I don't know much of there that is or if that's something that makes it worth watching but it's cool imo

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love Yurucamp so yay, but I can't help but feel that something is lost in this manga->anime transition.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tamba posted:

Speaking of Full Metal Panic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiT4YE7FR0E

Spring 2018, made by Xebec

Wow that CG behemoth looks like rear end.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

this is gonna own

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

oh, so that's what happened to the flip flappers girls

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I watched the first episode of Ancient Magus' Bride. I'm interested, but I don't know whether to watch the OVAs - getting more context is good, but I'm not sure I want to see the main character just getting more and more miserable for three episodes if that's what it is. Help me ADTRW

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

I watched the first episode of Ancient Magus' Bride. I'm interested, but I don't know whether to watch the OVAs - getting more context is good, but I'm not sure I want to see the main character just getting more and more miserable for three episodes if that's what it is. Help me ADTRW

It's got its fair share of the main character being miserable, but it's not Unrelenting Misery: The OVA

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

StandardVC10 posted:

the ovas are about one of the few times chise felt warmth and love from a person as a child, they provide more context but they're also more than chise just being miserable for three episodes, they're about why she would even be willing to trust someone who offers her warmth and love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

the OVAs do have a fair balance of sadness and life-affirming stuff, so it should be fine. otherwise they fit into the timeline somewhere in the middle of the series, so about nine weeks out.

• Locked thread