Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SoW isn't the worst but I had all the skills I wanted by like level 20 and I have about 30 points I'll never spend. The skill upgrades where you can only pick one out of three are rubbish, half the time the upgrades have nothing to do with each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Calaveron posted:

SoW fixes it somewhat because it locks only a handful of skills behind story progression, but then gently caress it up by making the most important skill, dominating orcs, only be available after completing the very long first act
Also there's way too many skills but they made them like, optional (your explosive arrow attack can either freeze, burn or poison enemies for instance)

I hosed up playing the original SoM because I insisted on grabbing every collectible I could before doing any additional story missions, which meant I was on burnout by the time I finally got to the meat of the game that was Non-Sexual Uruk Domination Simulator.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

I liked the pipes hacking mini-game in Bioshock. That's probably the only one I liked. I'd like to have that as stand-alone game. I've actually tried various "pipes" games on my mobile, but none of them are as good as the one tacked on to Bioshock.

For hacking that was crap, Alpha Protocol let you learn a skill to "hack" with an EMP grenade instead of going through its painful mini-game.

I love AP to bits but the hacking minigame was not good, yeah.

Although I think System Shock 2's was even worse, since it's basically a bunch of die rolls and hoping three of them in a row succeed. A huge step back from SS1, where hacking involved literally flying through cyberspace and fighting security programs.

On the plus side, SS1 and 2 both had MFD "minigames" that had no gameplay effect and were just little games to play in your HUD, ranging from Minesweeper to a Wing Commander clone and a sort of dungeon-crawly RPG thing. Chill out and fight goblins while you wait for that Reaver to lose interest and wander away!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

SoW isn't the worst but I had all the skills I wanted by like level 20 and I have about 30 points I'll never spend. The skill upgrades where you can only pick one out of three are rubbish, half the time the upgrades have nothing to do with each other
No, yeah, making every single upgrade to an ability, including the loving core ability to dominate is an example of absolutely loving terrible design.

It's one of the worst designed levelling systems I've seen in years, which is pretty baffling because the one in the first one was pretty arright, even though it ended up with you being overpowered near the end (as well you should be!)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I am honestly completely boggled by what they did with the leveling in SoW. Your options for using drain: You can dominate an orc. Or you can get 1 elf shot back. Or you can get your health fully restored. I'm pretty sure the first Mordor game both dominated AND restored elf shot when you drained an orc. Now its an either/or choice. Also there is an unlock when you collect ALL the collectables that gives you higher quality gems... Except you can get 3 gems of one grade to make one of the next grade up. I'm sure I'm nowhere NEAR collecting all the artifacts but I can make some grade 4 (of 6) gems. Its not like I'm farming for gems, the gems just drop that frequently.

Also I don't want to really use the gems because everything feels like they got such low health I don't want to slap on +damage gems cause everything goes from dying in 2 minutes to dying in 15 seconds.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean I can see why they did a lot of upgrades as either/or, because Wrath works different now and you being able to pop explosive poison arrows and waves of burning light like it's no thing then drain a guy to recover a bunch of your ammo, health, and get him to fight for you can be a little overpowered

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How does SoW's world compare to the original's Mordor, which was all of two football-fields in size?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How does SoW's world compare to the original's Mordor, which was all of two football-fields in size?

Much bigger. If I remember right Shadow of Mordor was two unconnected maps, Shadow of War has five that are all roughly the same size as one of the first game's areas.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I regularly forgot the drain button existed in SoM and always just got up close and personal if I wanted to brand an orc.

Sunswipe posted:

Origins is still my favorite, if only because the story in the others is poo poo. Haven't played Arkham Knight, have no intentions of doing so.
Knight's story is clumsy ( why is Batman suddenly remembering Jason Todd who didn't exist in this universe until now, at the very same time the mysterious Arkham Knight is running around hmmm :thunk: ) but I'll give it credit for attempting an actual story with characters, motivations, consequences, and a more or less consistent tone. It's certainly a step up from City's mess of a narrative.

Honestly City has long since sunk into last place for my favorite of the games. Asylum is still the tightest overall experience, Origins has the best story, Origins and Knight both have better open worlds, Knight does the melee combat better, and both Origins and Knight put their own spin on the stealth. (Knight also has the best DLC of the bunch but honestly that's a low, low bar to clear.) City has...that Mister Freeze fight, I guess. And the Joker twist was pretty well done?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
The act 3 twist in Middle Earth: Shadow of war is both incredibly stupid and incredibly compelling. But then the plot flatlines into "Uhhh... do some sieges I guess??"

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

John Murdoch posted:

I regularly forgot the drain button existed in SoM and always just got up close and personal if I wanted to brand an orc.
Knight's story is clumsy ( why is Batman suddenly remembering Jason Todd who didn't exist in this universe until now, at the very same time the mysterious Arkham Knight is running around hmmm :thunk: ) but I'll give it credit for attempting an actual story with characters, motivations, consequences, and a more or less consistent tone. It's certainly a step up from City's mess of a narrative.

Honestly City has long since sunk into last place for my favorite of the games. Asylum is still the tightest overall experience, Origins has the best story, Origins and Knight both have better open worlds, Knight does the melee combat better, and both Origins and Knight put their own spin on the stealth. (Knight also has the best DLC of the bunch but honestly that's a low, low bar to clear.) City has...that Mister Freeze fight, I guess. And the Joker twist was pretty well done?

I thought City had the best melee combat (haven't played Knight yet) between the ice grenade, shock launcher and being able to dismantle weapons. Origins had some good ideas (the ninja enemies and armored/venom guys) but also some missteps (reskin of the ice grenade, the concussion grenade)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Knight builds on all of that. Even some of the Origins stuff in the form of a ninja-like enemy type. Its version of the big bruiser guys is also probably the best overall designed, though I personally thought they maybe took them a little too far by the end (shield and stun stick heavies :gonk:).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aleph Null posted:

Oh God, SR4 hacking... I'd forgotten how much that sucked. Weren't some of the personal stories locked behind that? I never unlocked them all.
The hacking only unlocked shops. And it was incredibly easy. I get not liking it - I don't think it really added anything to the game - but it's such an insignificant thing and largely optional. You have to do one, and it's handy to do a few others, but it's certainly not necessary to do them all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

City is my favorite Arkham game, I think it has the best combination of size and polish. Origins gets to be a bit too Open World Icon Hunter and Knight takes that even further and then adds the Batmobile.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I loved City and finished it three times but I never bothered with the poo poo plot, the Harley Queen DLC, The Challenge Rooms, and New Game+. Really it helps to put a huge game down when you get your money's worth instead of slogging for 100% or else I'd still playing as a hardened yakuza who's trying to win a Hatsune Miku figurine from a claw-machine.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'd still playing as a hardened yakuza who's trying to win a Hatsune Miku figurine from a claw-machine.

not seeing the problem here

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

City is my favorite Arkham game, I think it has the best combination of size and polish. Origins gets to be a bit too Open World Icon Hunter and Knight takes that even further and then adds the Batmobile.
THE CAR!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I enjoyed Asylum at the time but its story kind of sucks in retrospect because the entire game ending up being about Joker wanting to become a strong clown was such a wet fart of a climax. All the other games have dumb stories but at least they use them to have tons of fun encounters and characters and constant escalations, Asylum you spend most of the game with the actual plot on hold as you putter around rescuing staff members.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Divinity: Original Sin

Two things happened recently that made me uninstall the game.
Playing through, get about 10 hours in and I've been bashing my head against the game over and over. Picked it up on a whim and it's been YEARS since I've played a proper old school RPG so dealing with all the weird, little things has been real tough but I'm getting into a nice groove. I save my game in the town and I see that my save list is getting a bit long.

Now, I know the golden rule of RPGs is keep multiple save states, and I do. You never know when you'll need to revert back because you wandered into the wrong dungeon or whatever, I know this. I do.
BUT... I was at a point where I'd cleared out the lighthouse, returned to the city and upgraded, sold my poo poo and whatever. I was safe. So I deleted all the old saves, just to tidy up the save/load list. Bit of housecleaning.

Go to load the game the following day. SAVE CORRUPT "You have tampered with the save file with an outside source." What the hell? I'm on the Xbox, how could I tamper with the files? 10 hours down the pan there. I'd argue that wasn't my fault... but the next one kinda IS my fault, but at the same time it isn't as well...

I start up a new game. I figure I'll refine my character a bit more, I know the game now and despite the maddeningly slow speed of movement I can quickly get back to where I was, I'm sure. Once again, I'm in the city having done some missions, slowly running around selling things, turning in quests when I see a patch of ground that can be dug up. I don't realise it's a grave at first and a text box pops up going, "You sure you want to dig this up?"
No. I'm not sure. It's right. I shouldn't have clicked it.
My partner pipes up, "NO! I WANT TO DIG UP THE GRAVE!"
gently caress off! I have to do that lovely rock/paper/scissor game and lose. I dig up the grave and it explodes killing us all. My last save was an hour ago.

I'll concede that I should have been saving more often, but then again I also shouldn't have a 50/50 chance of being forced into actions I don't want to take either. Uninstalled it. I hear 2 gets rid of that dumb mechanic but the idea of even replaying that one hour lost with the slow movement speed just made me shudder. Couldn't do it.

I also gave up on Agents of Mayhem because of the snipers. I played a lot of that game and you'd VERY rarely know a sniper was nearby until you were thrown backwards with 80 percent of your health gone and God help you if there were more than 2 snipers around.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Non-Sexual Uruk Domination Simulator.

Lol, just lol, if you aren't yelling out "SUFFER ME NOW!" While doing sex moves.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Drunken Baker posted:

Divinity: Original Sin

Two things happened recently that made me uninstall the game.
Playing through, get about 10 hours in and I've been bashing my head against the game over and over. Picked it up on a whim and it's been YEARS since I've played a proper old school RPG so dealing with all the weird, little things has been real tough but I'm getting into a nice groove. I save my game in the town and I see that my save list is getting a bit long.

Now, I know the golden rule of RPGs is keep multiple save states, and I do. You never know when you'll need to revert back because you wandered into the wrong dungeon or whatever, I know this. I do.
BUT... I was at a point where I'd cleared out the lighthouse, returned to the city and upgraded, sold my poo poo and whatever. I was safe. So I deleted all the old saves, just to tidy up the save/load list. Bit of housecleaning.

Go to load the game the following day. SAVE CORRUPT "You have tampered with the save file with an outside source." What the hell? I'm on the Xbox, how could I tamper with the files? 10 hours down the pan there. I'd argue that wasn't my fault... but the next one kinda IS my fault, but at the same time it isn't as well...

I start up a new game. I figure I'll refine my character a bit more, I know the game now and despite the maddeningly slow speed of movement I can quickly get back to where I was, I'm sure. Once again, I'm in the city having done some missions, slowly running around selling things, turning in quests when I see a patch of ground that can be dug up. I don't realise it's a grave at first and a text box pops up going, "You sure you want to dig this up?"
No. I'm not sure. It's right. I shouldn't have clicked it.
My partner pipes up, "NO! I WANT TO DIG UP THE GRAVE!"
gently caress off! I have to do that lovely rock/paper/scissor game and lose. I dig up the grave and it explodes killing us all. My last save was an hour ago.

I'll concede that I should have been saving more often, but then again I also shouldn't have a 50/50 chance of being forced into actions I don't want to take either. Uninstalled it. I hear 2 gets rid of that dumb mechanic but the idea of even replaying that one hour lost with the slow movement speed just made me shudder. Couldn't do it.

I also gave up on Agents of Mayhem because of the snipers. I played a lot of that game and you'd VERY rarely know a sniper was nearby until you were thrown backwards with 80 percent of your health gone and God help you if there were more than 2 snipers around.

This game seems fine but boy the coop is not a great idea.

My friend insisted on pickpocketing EVERYONE, which lead to hilarious loading screens whenever the entire universe turned hostile.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Arkham Knight has great combat, Shadow of War is the same style but really unpolished (Lots of bad targeting and getting caught on geometry.) It probably has more orc variety than the first game but not enough to fill out the extra maps. It’s possible to run into some fun orcs but it’s also easy to just have a long run of boring ones.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Tiny little game ICEY has a lot of cool goofy poo poo going on in it- it's Pony Island but pretty, or a hyper-abridged version of Nier: Automata, or The Stanley Parable as an action game, add in a twist of decently-handled Cthulhu Mythos poo poo to spice it up- but the English voiceover absolutely wrecks it. The Chinese voiceover is fantastic, excited, engaging, relatably panicky, occasionally sinister, but the English dude is just Doing His Anime Nerd Voice the entire time.

Also the translation is mostly fine, but when it slips up it ruins entire scenes, right through from setup to punchline.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tiggum posted:

The hacking only unlocked shops. And it was incredibly easy. I get not liking it - I don't think it really added anything to the game - but it's such an insignificant thing and largely optional. You have to do one, and it's handy to do a few others, but it's certainly not necessary to do them all.

You can also look up the solutions online since the hacking puzzles are the same every time. There's 32 in the game and the 4/32 and 12/32 etc are always the same no matter which particular store you're hacking for that 4/32 or 12/32.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Arkham Knight has great combat, Shadow of War is the same style but really unpolished (Lots of bad targeting and getting caught on geometry.) It probably has more orc variety than the first game but not enough to fill out the extra maps. It’s possible to run into some fun orcs but it’s also easy to just have a long run of boring ones.

I am admittedly enjoying the poo poo out of Orcish Sociopath Simulator 2017 but the controls have some weird inconsistencies. Talion loves getting caught on small ledges for some reason. Just kinda stops running, hangs out, stares at his feet like it's a 300 foot drop.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I was disappointed that Talion is worse at climbing in SoW than he was in the last game. Before he just flew up walls and cliffs. Now you have to do a dumb QTE to do that, and it's finnicky as gently caress when he gets near ledges.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Lol, just lol, if you aren't yelling out "SUFFER ME NOW!" While doing sex moves.

I had an orc come in and flip out because i grabbed another orc. Apparently we had something special

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I had an orc come in and flip out because i grabbed another orc. Apparently we had something special

I bet you couldn't even remember his name without the giant subtitle, you rake.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

One More Fat Nerd posted:

If she's not making this face you're doing it wrong

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Oh. The resurrect an orc skill is friendly only, drops them five levels and gives them fire weakness. I guess I'll just watch the ending on youtube and move on.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Dewgy posted:

I am admittedly enjoying the poo poo out of Orcish Sociopath Simulator 2017 but the controls have some weird inconsistencies. Talion loves getting caught on small ledges for some reason. Just kinda stops running, hangs out, stares at his feet like it's a 300 foot drop.

yeah, it's the worst sins of Assassin's Creed writ large. Also, got my rear end beat during a siege because Talion can't loving multi-task and my friendly AI is as dumb as a stump. Enemy boss is a hunter, who throws spears. His allies are an unending mob of Giant Orcs (forget the name, but basically indomitable big-rear end dicks). No matter what I do, i can't get close to him, and he snipes me at leisure with spears. Worse, I can't loving heal because the stupid Giants are worthless for combat heals unless you have a specific trait. Fine. Get the trait, try again. But to use combat heal, you have to gain might, which means the first time you're seriously hurt, fight's over. You can't fight without health, and you can't regain health without fighting to gain might. gently caress you game. Even in the rafters apparently i can't hide, so no stealth drains or attacks, which is even worse, since that's the only weakness the boss has.

I swear, the Orcs strengths and weaknesses are tumbled through a random procedure generator, so even though i've got 5 levels on this warboss, because of the makeup of his trash mobs (which are easily the strongest tanks in the game) and his ranged attack, he's loving untouchable.

Worse, because all the stupid buttons do 5 different loving functions, half the time I'm stuck trying to dominate and heal, while Talion stands there like a dick and just throws his little frost blast. or trying to climb away using the A button, and Captain dipshit just ends up dodge-rolling into a corner while getting pounded.

Seriously, is it that hard to have a single dedicated counter button for every orc? So when I'm being simultaneously told i need to hit "Y" from one enemy and mash "A" from 2 more enemies I'm not screwed? Just getting so frustrated, I've never hated my own player character so much before.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Drunken Baker posted:

And frankly even then it's hard to actually notice being shot by them, you'll just suddenly have your character lose their entire shield and half their health and have no idea from where or why. They're really overkill and either needed their shots to be more reliably dodgeable or not have shields and teleporters and be more true glass cannons.

The late game pacing also makes no sense. I don't see how it's possible to ever reach level 20 and not have enough upgrade cores to instantly level that character to 40. Literally everything you do dumps cores on you after a certain point while the XP curve (or more likely badly scaling rewards) means it takes an awkwardly large amount of effort to get there, even taking into account Braddock's squad XP bonus and running a difficulty level higher than recommended for a bit more still.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Agents of Mayhem is a waste of the Saints Row IP. I liked 4, but they should have either ended it there or rebooted the series to its slightly more grounded origins so I can perform kercy killings while dressed as a hot dog.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kaincypher posted:

Seriously, is it that hard to have a single dedicated counter button for every orc? So when I'm being simultaneously told i need to hit "Y" from one enemy and mash "A" from 2 more enemies I'm not screwed? Just getting so frustrated, I've never hated my own player character so much before.

Y is in fact the only counter button. If you see an A it's telling you do dodge roll and a B is telling you to stun that enemy before they attack.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it's just clumsier than, say, Arkham because the system isn't as precise.

Arkham is more generous with I frames, and Batman is generally much much smarter with targeting.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Adding in the "Wrath" feature for executions and such was also really dumb. There was no reason not to keep the x8/x5 combo minimum like the previous game and all the Arkhams.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Adding in the "Wrath" feature for executions and such was also really dumb. There was no reason not to keep the x8/x5 combo minimum like the previous game and all the Arkhams.

One of the upgrades for might in the combat tree (I think) makes it basically 100 percent hitstreak based like SoM/Arkham

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Agents of Mayhem is a waste of the Saints Row IP. I liked 4, but they should have either ended it there or rebooted the series to its slightly more grounded origins so I can perform kercy killings while dressed as a hot dog.

It feels like the Gat Out of Hell ending that leads into AoM was supposed to be the reset button, but then AoM goes off in its own wacky direction and while I haven't completed the story yet, dimensional shenanigans have begun creeping into the plot so ???

And while I have enjoyed the game on its own terms, it does cheapen the whole "nonono, this isn't a Saints Row game, this is an Agents of Mayhem game" line when they can't stop dropping references to the previous games, on top of explicitly bringing back four characters. The game honestly would've benefited from being clearly separated from its predecessors instead of reveling in being sort-of connected to Saints Row but sort-of not. And also not being an open world game at all, since that's the weakest part of it.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Oct 21, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AoM feels like a game that they kind of put together out of the ruins of another, more featured game that they didn't have the money or time to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I finally finished the witcher.....it was kind of poo poo.
Boring environments,pretty boring characters,i loving hated the quests,the decisions I made didn't seem to amount to poo poo.

but drat that ending in the snow looked sweet as gently caress,the game needed more of that.
I've heard good things about 2 and 3 though are they worth it?