Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
OK guys, here's Grim Goon & Goonette v2.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BybuaGc1iPrpdjNoQWRvTXVPRHM/view?usp=sharing

Follow the instructions to have two "blank" level 67 character, starting on Ultimate. They each have a special collection of gear that's both not OP and is tested to work as a viable on any build. They also have a collection of components, in case you're planning on using a certain component in your build.

The characters have fully completed Veteran and Elite Difficulty, but haven't yet done anything in Ultimate. You'll have all the skill points and devotions available for a level 67 + 4 attribute/skill points from quests in earlier difficulties.

If you're looking to start over, I *strongly* suggest using these characters. Just the general-purpose gear selection may be fun to test out.

Tell me if you have any problems or questions.

P.S.: I'd also like to thank ssmagus for helping me with the character file last night. Without his help, this wouldn't have been possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I didn't do all that much, really.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Does anyone have a cool and good pet build for me?

I’m necro + occultist at level 56 right now

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I... I finished round 10 / novice Crucible for the first time ever, with my 38 DK. Whoa.

I'd replaced my few Cadence points to skeletons and used the Oleron's Might attack as my main. I'm not sure if that was clever as low level skellies were fairly weak and crabby pet is fun but aimed at cold builds. So extra stress topping up mana/pets/using dash to escape and pick off the edges of crowds.

Sold up, went to Steps of Torment and got wasted in the early deathroom. It wasn't a good idea to clear out Shieldmaiden to aim for revenant.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Can anyone explain passive chance on attack abilities to me? My understanding is that the % chances are additive and only one can happen at a time, but does everything fall into the same pool or is there a secondary pool for devotions and auras? My Purifier is doing well in elite currently but am I wasting skill points?

Skills:
Bursting Round: 20% chance
Chilling Rounds: 20% chance
Storm Spread: 20% chance

Gear:
Havoc: 10% chance
Earthquake: 5% chance
Marauder's Salvo: 15% chance
Volley 12% chance

Auras:
Vindictive Flame 100% chance 1.5 second cooldown
Deadly Aim 100% chance 5 second cooldown

Devotions:
Raise Dead on Fire Strike (auto attack replacement) 10% chance
Twin Fangs on Bursting Round: 20% chance
Elemental Storm on Storm Spread: 25% chance

My impression is that the skills and gear stack with each other which puts me at 102% so 2% over, And I'm assuming the auras are there own separate pool that just go off on timers in addition to my attacks or do they take precedence and prevent another skill? Finally, I'm guessing that the devotions work as an extra proc, especially those put on my skills where the skill has to go off to activate it, but does putting a devotion on my left click attack make it go into the first pool?

I'm at 193% attack speed so even the skills that are procs on procs go off pretty often attacking at 3.8 shots a second, but I could shift some skill points around if I'm way over the cap.

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 18, 2017

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Devotion procs are separate in that they have a chance to happen when you hit (or kill) an enemy with the specific skill it’s tied to. Deadly Aim is a passive buff that triggers on crits. I don’t quite know how the ones that trigger on default attacks work though.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
The expansion feels bit too hard compared to the other content. I realize that they want to balance ultimate for characters that have been farming at max level for a while, but it's bit silly at lower difficulties. My infiltrator went from sleepwalking though veteran act 4 to dying all the time in the expansion and then back to really easy in elite.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Obfuscation posted:

The expansion feels bit too hard compared to the other content. I realize that they want to balance ultimate for characters that have been farming at max level for a while, but it's bit silly at lower difficulties. My infiltrator went from sleepwalking though veteran act 4 to dying all the time in the expansion and then back to really easy in elite.

I've been playing a lot of PoE recently (prior to the GD expansion releasing), and to perform well into the end-game, you arguably have to build/tune your character to put out an insane amount of damage. In other words, PoE builds often turn into "the best defense is a good offense."

In this game, which is one of my criticisms of it, good builds often turn into tanks of some kind -- i.e. "the best defense is a good defense."

If you're dying, I would suggest looking at ways to incorporate multiple of the following:
- a ton of spell-based life leech; if weapon life leech, then also incorporate reduction mechanics for resist all or life leech resistance
- a ton of health regen
- an item that gives +max resistances; e.g. 80% vs 84% resistance translates into 20% less damage taken
- a skill/effect that reduces enemy damage, such as Warcry
- use an "invulnerability" skill, such as max Blast Shield or Mirror of E
- a block character that has a 100% block cooldown -- this is only available for Soldiers

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Frustrated posted:

My impression is that the skills and gear stack with each other which puts me at 102% so 2% over, And I'm assuming the auras are there own separate pool that just go off on timers in addition to my attacks or do they take precedence and prevent another skill? Finally, I'm guessing that the devotions work as an extra proc, especially those put on my skills where the skill has to go off to activate it, but does putting a devotion on my left click attack make it go into the first pool?

I'm at 193% attack speed so even the skills that are procs on procs go off pretty often attacking at 3.8 shots a second, but I could shift some skill points around if I'm way over the cap.

The skills have a % chance of replacing your basic attack. Most gear is a % chance on hit that can be triggered with your skills, most don't replace your basic attack. Auras just happen on their own.

Gear skills that trigger on hit can trigger other gear skills. Before they added cooldowns on things like the fireball from gear you could hit a critical mass of non-stop fireballs if you stacked enough pieces of gear. It was amazing and I'm sad it is gone.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I was playing around with my spell-based Necro last night and I removed Soul Siphon from his build. I replaced it with a max Ill Omen. Holy poo poo that skill is good. It's fire and forget, spreads like Bloody Pox, ticks a bunch over its duration, has a cooldown (which increases proc chance), and makes poo poo run away. Put Wendigo's Mark on it and enjoy all that life leech!

Goonfriend rear end Commander/Haggis was running it on his Death Knight last night, and he said it works really good for a melee character too.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Dahbadu posted:

I've been playing a lot of PoE recently (prior to the GD expansion releasing), and to perform well into the end-game, you arguably have to build/tune your character to put out an insane amount of damage. In other words, PoE builds often turn into "the best defense is a good offense."

In this game, which is one of my criticisms of it, good builds often turn into tanks of some kind -- i.e. "the best defense is a good defense."

If you're dying, I would suggest looking at ways to incorporate multiple of the following:
- a ton of spell-based life leech; if weapon life leech, then also incorporate reduction mechanics for resist all or life leech resistance
- a ton of health regen
- an item that gives +max resistances; e.g. 80% vs 84% resistance translates into 20% less damage taken
- a skill/effect that reduces enemy damage, such as Warcry
- use an "invulnerability" skill, such as max Blast Shield or Mirror of E
- a block character that has a 100% block cooldown -- this is only available for Soldiers

I just got to the expansion last boss on ultimate yesterday and goddamn.

I consider my char to be quite tanky. Vitality conjurer with maxed resists, 15k health, tons and tons of life leech and defensive devotions, aether resist at 87. That pooplord killed me probably ten times or close to it. Granted, the boss was mobile this time unlike the old end boss, and vit conjurer is not exactly built upon mobility. But anyway, the expansion really did ramp up the difficulty compared to the old game where it was nigh impossible for me to die. Although I'm not complaining or anything, as the expansion was fun and all, but non-tanky builds are hosed which is a shame.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

One thing Grim Dawn does over POE is have shittons of different damage types with the mitigation being spread among more resists.

PoE has the 3 elements, Fire Lit Cold, Chaos and Phys with dots being Bleeding (Phys) Poison (Chaos) and Burning (Fire).
Getting max resists in the 3 elements + a Phys mitigation of your choice makes you fairly tanky in Poe assuming to do the work of building up your health. Chaos is rarer as a damage type and they usually don't expect people to tank it or have maxed chaos resist in my experience.

In Grim Dawn there are 7 magical elements (fire ice electric acid vitality aether and chaos
As well as 2 physical elements piercing and normal physical
Plus all of the above (minus piercing which has a strange analogue in bleeding) has a dot type. With those dots having a separate resist that combines with the base resist to provide more mitigation.

They've made themselves an equation with a lot of variables when trying to tune end-game content. The question is what are they expecting players to hit? Is it maxed every resists including dots? Or just base resists, plus further DR from skills? Definitely lots of health as in every arpg.

Another interesting decision is the one to make each armour hit randomly target a specific location of your character. Making armour an insane proposition for mitigating only normal physical damage.

either way I quite like this game but it can be fairly obtuse in how/why you are dying. And considering the smaller player base the information available is definitely lacking.

I am also curious why they didn't bother to do n overlay map. It's fairly annoying and I don't remember if Titan Quest had one or not.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 19, 2017

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

I was playing around with my spell-based Necro last night and I removed Soul Siphon from his build. I replaced it with a max Ill Omen. Holy poo poo that skill is good. It's fire and forget, spreads like Bloody Pox, ticks a bunch over its duration, has a cooldown (which increases proc chance), and makes poo poo run away. Put Wendigo's Mark on it and enjoy all that life leech!

Goonfriend rear end Commander/Haggis was running it on his Death Knight last night, and he said it works really good for a melee character too.

Yeah seconding Ill Omen, that ability is incredible. I'm playing a Cabalist with Vit/Aether, and for most of tonight I was playing around with mass summons alongside Bloody Pox and Ill Omen. Minions chase things down while they scream away and melt, it is fantastic fun.

I've since switched to Bone Harvest as I got a really good 2H to play with though, but Omen is still just so good. Gives your summons a lot more survivability, and allows you to go ham on damage.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Cerepol posted:

One thing Grim Dawn does over POE is have shittons of different damage types with the mitigation being spread among more resists.

PoE has the 3 elements, Fire Lit Cold, Chaos and Phys with dots being Bleeding (Phys) Poison (Chaos) and Burning (Fire).
Getting max resists in the 3 elements + a Phys mitigation of your choice makes you fairly tanky in Poe assuming to do the work of building up your health. Chaos is rarer as a damage type and they usually don't expect people to tank it or have maxed chaos resist in my experience.

In Grim Dawn there are 7 magical elements (fire ice electric acid vitality aether and chaos
As well as 2 physical elements piercing and normal physical
Plus all of the above (minus piercing which has a strange analogue in bleeding) has a dot type. With those dots having a separate resist that combines with the base resist to provide more mitigation.

They've made themselves an equation with a lot of variables when trying to tune end-game content. The question is what are they expecting players to hit? Is it maxed every resists including dots? Or just base resists, plus further DR from skills? Definitely lots of health as in every arpg.

Another interesting decision is the one to make each armour hit randomly target a specific location of your character. Making armour an insane proposition for mitigating only normal physical damage.

either way I quite like this game but it can be fairly obtuse in how/why you are dying. And considering the smaller player base the information available is definitely lacking.

I am also curious why they didn't bother to do n overlay map. It's fairly annoying and I don't remember if Titan Quest had one or not.

I thought armor mitigated all damage as long as the source was some sort of weapon attack and not a spell. Like, it would reduce fire damage from a flaming sword strike or arrow, but not a wizard dude’s fireball cooldown nuke (unless it had % weapon damage?). Maybe not. poo poo is Byzantine.

E: armor probably never touches DoTs though

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Armor was wildly obtuse in tq and remains so in gd for no good reason I can determine

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I started an Inquisitor as my second character after leveling my Necro to 50

I didn't think it would be possible to level faster than the Necro. But spamming Word of Pain on everything actually does seem faster. I'm 41 and still haven't picked a second mastery. Either Tactician or Purifier, still undecided.

This game is great, I should've started it a long time ago.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

Tom Gorman posted:

I started an Inquisitor as my second character after leveling my Necro to 50

I didn't think it would be possible to level faster than the Necro. But spamming Word of Pain on everything actually does seem faster. I'm 41 and still haven't picked a second mastery. Either Tactician or Purifier, still undecided.

This game is great, I should've started it a long time ago.

Can you post your build? I’m doing something similar.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm doing this Fire-based Purifier build I found, and I'm loving it. The gear is probably sub-optimal, but it was theorycrafted after GrimTools updated, and before the expansion launched, so that's probably why.

I'm thinking of just getting the whole Mythical Ulzuin's set, but not sure what to replace the Rings with...

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

victrix posted:

Armor was wildly obtuse in tq and remains so in gd for no good reason I can determine

I’m glad that computer RPGs exist so that games designers don’t still try and inflict this poo poo on tabletop players, though. It’s an interesting system, but an odd one.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Hey guys. I'm streaming with ssmagus right now on twitch. Feel freel to jump in, ask questions, whatever.

https://www.twitch.tv/dahbadu

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Dahbadu posted:

Hey guys. I'm streaming with ssmagus right now on twitch. Feel freel to jump in, ask questions, whatever.

Thanks for the distraction from the Cubs getting their rear end handed to them.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Stokes posted:

Thanks for the distraction from the Cubs getting their rear end handed to them.

Thanks for posting in the chat.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So if we've never managed to stick to a character long enough to beat the game...do you still recommend using the Grim Goon characters to skip to Ultimate?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Devorum posted:

So if we've never managed to stick to a character long enough to beat the game...do you still recommend using the Grim Goon characters to skip to Ultimate?

Grim Goon v1.0 is a hot mess, but Grim Goon v2.0 is good poo poo. Try it out.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Obfuscation posted:

I am playing a tanky tactician and had a similar experience, though perhaps less dramatic. The expansion was a lot of fun to play and required careful positioning and well considered use of my skills, but death was rare. In elite, all the way to act 3, my health bar simply does not move from full.

Of course, my first 50 levels were all spent on the masteries and core offensive skills, then the next 15 were spent on defenses. Similarly with devotions, I didn't hit the big money defensive constellations like obelisk and shieldmaiden until elite. Maybe if I had rushed for zero shield recovery by the time I reached the expansion it also would have felt trivial, but even the fact that it requires a heavier focus on defense in veteran than most of the core campaign in elite suggests that it's a little overtuned.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dahbadu posted:

OK guys, here's Grim Goon & Goonette v2.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BybuaGc1iPrpdjNoQWRvTXVPRHM/view?usp=sharing

Follow the instructions to have two "blank" level 67 character, starting on Ultimate. They each have a special collection of gear that's both not OP and is tested to work as a viable on any build. They also have a collection of components, in case you're planning on using a certain component in your build.

The characters have fully completed Veteran and Elite Difficulty, but haven't yet done anything in Ultimate. You'll have all the skill points and devotions available for a level 67 + 4 attribute/skill points from quests in earlier difficulties.

If you're looking to start over, I *strongly* suggest using these characters. Just the general-purpose gear selection may be fun to test out.

Tell me if you have any problems or questions.

P.S.: I'd also like to thank ssmagus for helping me with the character file last night. Without his help, this wouldn't have been possible.
You should put this in that third post with all the builds.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I am playing a tanky tactician and had a similar experience, though perhaps less dramatic. The expansion was a lot of fun to play and required careful positioning and well considered use of my skills, but death was rare. In elite, all the way to act 3, my health bar simply does not move from full.

Of course, my first 50 levels were all spent on the masteries and core offensive skills, then the next 15 were spent on defenses. Similarly with devotions, I didn't hit the big money defensive constellations like obelisk and shieldmaiden until elite. Maybe if I had rushed for zero shield recovery by the time I reached the expansion it also would have felt trivial, but even the fact that it requires a heavier focus on defense in veteran than most of the core campaign in elite suggests that it's a little overtuned.

This is more or less how Titan Quest's (expansion) fourth act worked out too, so I think it's just a thing with these developers.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Mage hunter is good and fun.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dahbadu posted:

"Let's go fight this crazy rear end boss on Hardcore and I'm dead!"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Now that I'm getting in to late-game stuff and understanding how builds/gear works, a lot of the gear really frustrates me. Most end-game legendaries seem to be designed for specific builds or skills (and it's cool that there are a ton of them for all kinds of different builds) but they're all themed really hard around that skill and emphasize its strengths instead of being well-balanced pieces of gear. So you have stuff like - if you need a bunch of fire resist and want it on a ring, it has to come from a fire-damage caster-based ring. If you need big chunks of health it's only going to come from melee-oriented physical damage Soldier-themed gear. Something with +Elemental Damage is probably going to have Inquisitor skills on it, +Fire damage is probably going to have Demo skills on it, etc.

Is it just expected that I have a lot of "wasted" stats that don't apply to me if I want to balance out my resists and get some health?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

"Let's go fight this crazy rear end boss on Hardcore and I'm dead!"

:) YOLO indeed

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Now that I'm getting in to late-game stuff and understanding how builds/gear works, a lot of the gear really frustrates me. Most end-game legendaries seem to be designed for specific builds or skills (and it's cool that there are a ton of them for all kinds of different builds) but they're all themed really hard around that skill and emphasize its strengths instead of being well-balanced pieces of gear. So you have stuff like - if you need a bunch of fire resist and want it on a ring, it has to come from a fire-damage caster-based ring. If you need big chunks of health it's only going to come from melee-oriented physical damage Soldier-themed gear. Something with +Elemental Damage is probably going to have Inquisitor skills on it, +Fire damage is probably going to have Demo skills on it, etc.

Is it just expected that I have a lot of "wasted" stats that don't apply to me if I want to balance out my resists and get some health?

Yup, and the crazy amount of components doesn't help either. I've somehow not gotten a dread skull to finish this Savagry relic on any of my playthroughs, so I have no idea on how long it's going to take.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is this like poe where good rares are usually bis or do you end up wearing mostly legendary/set stuff

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Awesome! posted:

is this like poe where good rares are usually bis or do you end up wearing mostly legendary/set stuff

Kinda. Of particular note are "monster infrequents", which are rare base types dropped only from a specific monster. For example, you could have the poison claw of a bug drop from fighting bugs. These get the same affix pool, so "Venomancer's Posion Bug Claw of Farts" could be BIS for a poison build. As of the xpac, these infrequents not only have bonuses to skills, but also modifiers like - recharge time etc.

Because there is no economy and this is predominantly a single player game, uniques/legendaries/sets form most of what you wear end game. Farming a full set of perfect MI/rares is unlikely.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a quick and dirty devotion guide for specific builds? That's the system in this game that I just can't wrap my head around.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

plains of strife: what the gently caress is this bullshit

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One day I will beat the Port Valbury City Council. One day. But not today.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Malmouth confirmed to be a 4chan convention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yawgmoth posted:

Malmouth confirmed to be a 4chan convention

I’ve heard of toxic environments but this is ridiculous! :haw: