Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hope that bai xiaochun never learns a gosh darned thing from his catastrophic alchemy experiments

also, i just know that his subterfuge will be revealed when his archnemesis appears again. no one can ever defeat the rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope that rabbit keeps showing up even after he becomes a god.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I loving love the Kumo manga :allears:

Meanwhile, ZTJ is bumming me out. Not just because Tianhai is cool beans and these assholes all need their poo poo slapped, but also because we seem to have been stuck in this "the character did cool thing and everyone is amazed because it's really loving cool and everyone knew this guy was cool but NOT THIS COOL and isn't this just so amazing???" mode for a couple of hundred chapters now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Many parts of ZTJ are the best (like every time Tang Thirty Six does anything) but the Empress's explanation of how to kill everyone is certainly one of the most best.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Since the very beginning of the story everyone has been shown scheming and maneuvering to try and divine the Empress's will, either to earn her favor or plot against her. It was clear to the reader that she never cared about any of their ambitions, and now we see why.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Autonomous Monster posted:

I loving love the Kumo manga :allears:

The Kumo Manga has been consistently amazing and I can't believe how good of an adaption it is.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
So, trip report (up to about a quarter of the way through) of Cultivating to Become a Great Celestial raws:

Not much murder-hoboing done on screen, though the MC is treated like trash because she literally has garbage talents in almost every field of cultivation. Except for the cannon fodder that comes and goes quickly, all the characters are reasonably well developed. A very enjoyable read so far.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
FOD - Latest updates have been so fun. I've loved the Grinning Moon quest and having cultivator heists and grand escapes have been both hilarious and tense. Ling Qi is pretty adorable when she's getting her sneak on.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Seoul Station Necromancer is 3 chapters away from the ending, and plottwists are happening

SPOILERS:
Everything was in VR all along. Kind of a bad cop-out plottwist for a gamelike novel like this. Sigh.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I chose one of the worst moments possible to finally finish catching up with ZTJ :supaburn: :f5:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Captain_duck posted:

Seoul Station Necromancer is 3 chapters away from the ending, and plottwists are happening

SPOILERS:
Everything was in VR all along. Kind of a bad cop-out plottwist for a gamelike novel like this. Sigh.

Thanks for posting this spoiler so I can take it off my list of stuff to eventually catch up on, that's the lamest possible

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Sindai posted:

I hope that rabbit keeps showing up even after he becomes a god.

The indication was that the Rabbit was another reborn immortal of some sort. He's definitely loving with XBC/helping him along (I think). Imagine if he never had any motivation other than making pills in his basement?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aw, yeah. that's the stuff, er gen.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I don't know if any of you guys read Overlord but I finally got around to reading volume 12 and I want to whine about it.

I used to really like the series but each subsequent volume has made that more and more difficult. I don't mind stories with villain protagonists, I don't like prefer them, but it's not a dealbreaker generally - but even with my uh... openmindedness the story is really getting to be a bit much. I ended up skimming part of the first chapter since I couldn't stomach it...

My problem, I think, is that I've started to legitimately hate the main character. He bumbles around into unearned successes, let's his chaotic evil subordinates run around completely unchecked, and becomes more and more unlikable with each new atrocity committed in his name while he just sort of shrugs and goes "eh". It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't maintain this weird lukewarm "I'm actually a good and reasonable person who's in over his head" thing in his monologues when he is so clearly, unabashedly, capital E evil! Clearly the author intends for us to understand that Ainz sort of sees the world around him as 'gamey' and doesn't give a whole lot of weight to the lives of the inhabitants of the world around him... but it's really not an excuse to be such a loving monster. The poo poo he does makes Hitler look kind and compassionate and it's not a lot of fun to read.

Which is the point, obviously. I mean the author wouldn't spend whole volumes building up side characters only for Ainz and co. to roll in and stomp on them in yet another emotional gut punch, if the gut punch wasn't the whole point. But then the story has the audacity to treat Ainz like a bumbling everyman video gaem player and it's really infuriating. The weird little humorous asides really don't jive with the horrid backdrop of what happens in the story. He's a monster! He does nothing but monstrous things! It's not funny! You can't pretend like he's actually a likable everyman while his jackbooted thugs are skinning people alive - and that's the merciful ones! You can't be the leader of an organization of super powerful chaotic evil monsters that are raining terror onto the world around them and not be a horrible person, it's one or the other author. :argh:

I don't think I'll be reading the next volume...

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Well, I figured out that Overlord was bad before the anime's run finished, but I'm surprised they're even bothering to pretend Ainz isn't the main villain. I thought the title was kind of a giveaway in that respect. To me it just seems like some twisted kind of power fantasy and I never could figure out the appeal.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I think you'll find that Overlord is an apologia for Hirohito's conduct during the Second Sino-Japanese War and WWII. :hist101:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hitler liked dogs too. :v:

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I’m reading Coiled Dragon and liking it. It’s the first time I’ve read anything like this. It’s like Dragonball Z in book form.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
cultivation chat group got “poached” by qidan international a while back. i didnt notice it until a couple days ago when the current fan translator posted the obligatory whine about QI because their chapters officially overtook his. anyway this is just a heads up to other people who like ccg that we’re getting 7 chapters a week now. novelupdates doesnt list a new group until theyve done at least 50 releases

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I found a new WN to read about a guy getting reborn as the best friend of the MC of a soccer manga or in other words he gets reborn into Inazuma 11 with the numbers filed off which is the Best Thing Ever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want to read a WN that is like a male-oriented version of those "reincarnated as the villainess in an otome game" WNs. Like, where someone reincarnates as the rear end in a top hat arranged marriage partner of the harem protagonist's main love interest or something.

edit: There was this one WN I read where the protagonist is a guy who reincarnates as the main love interest in an otome game and ends up dating the villainess character. I remember that the heroine having the supernatural ability to make all men fall in love with her was a plot element.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ytlaya posted:

I want to read a WN that is like a male-oriented version of those "reincarnated as the villainess in an otome game" WNs. Like, where someone reincarnates as the rear end in a top hat arranged marriage partner of the harem protagonist's main love interest or something.

edit: There was this one WN I read where the protagonist is a guy who reincarnates as the main love interest in an otome game and ends up dating the villainess character. I remember that the heroine having the supernatural ability to make all men fall in love with her was a plot element.

Oh, I saw that one too. It would be this one, with such an incredibly generic LN title:
http://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-appear-to-have-been-reincarnated-as-a-love-interest-in-an-otome-game/

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Its happening!!!!!!

“It worked!” he said, laughing out loud. The sight of the enormous blood sword filled him with excitement, and convinced him that his months of hard work were worth it.

“I, Bai Xiaochun–” He instantly closed his mouth. Slowly turning his head, his eyes went wide as he looked at something in the corner of the immortal’s cave.

Then, he began to sweat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
He really just needs to learn to have an internal monologue.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his best trait is that he never learns a goddamn thing

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Otome Game Bad Guy

My name is Seijo. I appear to have died.

Wait, let me start over. Today was the big day. You see, I have a terrible secret. I, a 28-year-old man, love otome games. Yes, visual novels for middle-school girls. Anyway, today my favorite company was, after 4 years of development, finally releasing their newest otome game 「♡真の愛は☆本☆ですよ!!」 (TN: "♡True Love is a ☆Book☆!!"). Of course, while waiting in line I had to pretend to be buying the game for my (nonexistent) little sister. An unpleasant but necessary existence.

As an aside I greatly prefer otome games over their more male-focused *-games. Generally in the latter you take the role of a good-for-nothing guy who gets women thrust upon him from all directions. Although this has its appeal it's too easy! As a good-for-nothing guy myself I can't help but feel the genre is unrealistic as I have never had a girlfriend, let alone a harem route. Besides, having a woman seek me out and find my heart of gold inside my black soul is much more appealing, so otome games for life!

It was while I was thinking this very thought that I heard a large crash behind me.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
im no writer but that cliche poo poo is way too easy to do

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Trip report of the complete Cultivating to Become a Great Celestial (raw):

Overall, 8/10. The character developments were well done; the story is well focused upon the main character and the supporting cast; each arc had development of some sort for the characters; everybody had a part to play in the finale.

The climax of the story feels a bit like a Deus ex Machina, where the MC requires outside supernatural help to finally defeat the big bad. It doesn't with finality either, since it's implied that even with the great evil defeated for now, it will come back some time in the future. I take off two points for those two issues, as well as feeling like it was dragging in certain parts.

Overall, very solid story, and if you enjoyed My Disciple, you would definitely like this one as well. While you might not laugh as much in this story, it still has a bit of everything to make it truly enjoyable.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

owl milk posted:

im no writer but that cliche poo poo is way too easy to do
Now just 299 more chapters and you'll be a successful WN author.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I might read it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Maybe villains in male-oriented VNs tend to be a little too unpleasant for that kind of story. It could certainly be done, but the tone would inevitably be darker.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

There's "My death flags show no sign of ending", where the protagonist reincarnates as the first act noble-rear end in a top hat bit-villain of a generic jrpg. And has to make sure the hero has a reason to put their party together to fight the demon lord and save the world without getting killed in the process.

Also the dude gets stuck with villain tourettes and is forced to speak in the most rear end in a top hat-noble like way possible at all times.

I've only read it partially, but I don't remember anything too problematic about the parts I did read. I can't say anything about the parts I haven't read though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that one is very frustrating because the mc is completely unable to communicate clearly and the problem never went away, or at least not by the time i dropped it.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Death flags really frustrated me because... I don't know how to explain it, but there is a "type" of character that is to be the lead character in a lot of web/light novels - like everyman japanese teenager who likes video games and jokes, right? And in Death flags it goes out of it's way to put the protagonist in these really difficult situations (he's one guy who's supposed to be able to fight on par with the whole Hero party - since he's the rival character you know?) with tense emotional moments. And then it just scraps that poo poo, the MC doesn't care, he says dramatic lines because he remembers them from the game and thinks it might be important to recreate everything as precisely as possible.

Then you get a bunch of alternate POV chapters where the side characters misconstrue him as a troubled genius who is struggling mightily with his inner demons or some poo poo - you know, something that sounds kind of interesting? - before we cut back to his POV and realize it was indigestion or whatever hi-larious gag it may have been. It's misunderstanding comedy where all the other characters misunderstand the MC to not be a dumb jerk-off. Personally I think I would have enjoyed it more if it turned out MC actually wasn't a dumb jerk-off, but you can't have everything in life.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've said this before, but I want to read a WN that is just a straight-forward "hero goes on an exciting adventure to defeat the evil demon king" story without any ~wacky~ twists on what is supposedly a cliche plot (despite the supposed subversions of the trope being more common than the trope itself).

edit: Another thing I've mentioned before is that the LN Rokka no Yuusha is some damned entertaining stuff that is really good as a fantasy/action/mystery thing. The anime doesn't really do it justice, since it only covers the first volume (which doesn't even introduce the main enemies of the series, one of whom is just a really great/iconic villain). It was licensed (but hasn't been officially translated as far as the fan translations), but you can find the fan translations in a pdf/epub download somewhere. I really hope the author finishes that series at some point, because some really interesting stuff happened in the most recent content (volume 5/6 spoilers: specifically, the protagonist finds out his love for Fremy was fabricated using Tgurneu's magic, and unlike an expected "but he realized he truly loved her even after the magic was removed" development he actually realized he didn't really love Fremy (who he was portrayed as loving for like 5 volumes). It's a surprisingly un-cliche development.

In general it's just so much higher quality in terms of its plotting, writing, action, etc than the stuff you find in 99% of WNs, and it's a shame for a person to miss it despite being into reading Asian LN/WN stuff.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 24, 2017

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I was reading death flags for a good while but I dropped it once it started to feel aimless. It was fun for the first couple of arcs, and at least it didn't actively do anything to make me drop it.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

sunken fleet posted:

I don't know if any of you guys read Overlord but I finally got around to reading volume 12 and I want to whine about it.

I used to really like the series but each subsequent volume has made that more and more difficult. I don't mind stories with villain protagonists, I don't like prefer them, but it's not a dealbreaker generally - but even with my uh... openmindedness the story is really getting to be a bit much. I ended up skimming part of the first chapter since I couldn't stomach it...

My problem, I think, is that I've started to legitimately hate the main character. He bumbles around into unearned successes, let's his chaotic evil subordinates run around completely unchecked, and becomes more and more unlikable with each new atrocity committed in his name while he just sort of shrugs and goes "eh". It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't maintain this weird lukewarm "I'm actually a good and reasonable person who's in over his head" thing in his monologues when he is so clearly, unabashedly, capital E evil! Clearly the author intends for us to understand that Ainz sort of sees the world around him as 'gamey' and doesn't give a whole lot of weight to the lives of the inhabitants of the world around him... but it's really not an excuse to be such a loving monster. The poo poo he does makes Hitler look kind and compassionate and it's not a lot of fun to read.

Which is the point, obviously. I mean the author wouldn't spend whole volumes building up side characters only for Ainz and co. to roll in and stomp on them in yet another emotional gut punch, if the gut punch wasn't the whole point. But then the story has the audacity to treat Ainz like a bumbling everyman video gaem player and it's really infuriating. The weird little humorous asides really don't jive with the horrid backdrop of what happens in the story. He's a monster! He does nothing but monstrous things! It's not funny! You can't pretend like he's actually a likable everyman while his jackbooted thugs are skinning people alive - and that's the merciful ones! You can't be the leader of an organization of super powerful chaotic evil monsters that are raining terror onto the world around them and not be a horrible person, it's one or the other author. :argh:

I don't think I'll be reading the next volume...

I agree with this but I'll clarify my own problems . The main character doesn't really seem to have a goal or an objective it reminds me too much of the me and my harem trope are lazy around the world and do things, only replace things with evil stuff and that's about where Overlord is at. It needs to have basically a pressing threat, or an overall objective of the main character where he has to make hard choices and sacrifices.

But basically drop Overlord and read Dungeon Defense like everyone else. Main character is an evil bastard and it's explicate he was a totally hosed up person before going to fantasy world too. He also has actual goals and isn't OP. In fact he doesn't really have any cheat abilities at all(he had one then it got forgotten by volume 2 so nobody cares).

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 24, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My favorite case of an author trying to make a sociopath MC endearing was Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear where the main character has all sorts of ‘wtf is empathy? wtf are emotions?’ moments that the reader is just supposed to take in stride.

But I mean that was written a chapter a day and is more stream of consciousness than novel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Sometimes I wish Dungeon Defense wasn't even an isekai novel and just about the protagonist's insanely hosed up family instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Rakuin no Monshou is a pretty decent non-isekai fantasy story about an urchin thief turned slave gladiator forced to act as a body double to a imperial prince. And seizing power once he realizes that the real prince he's supposed to be impersonating got himself killed in the second chapter of the first book by being a creep.

Lot's of politics, scheming, war, and pretending to be his own masked bodyguard/hatchetman. Very sword and sorcery/sandal in the classic Conan vein, except with muskets, artillery and airships. Everyone is just a normal skilled human, all magic thus far has been subtle divination, illusion and mind control stuff used by the villains. And dragons are just big dumb lizards used as mounts for shock cavalry.

It reminds me bit of what little I know about Guin Saga, which unfortunately consists of the anime from few years back. Are the official translations for that available as e-books anywhere by the way? The only fan-translations I've found for that, when I looked in the past, were summaries or started after the the point where the official translations ended and I don't really want to bother with the physical books.