Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

So my current snare is a 14x5.5 with an Evans Calftone and low tuning but I'm thinking about getting another snare to try and get this kind of sound https://track5.mixtape.moe/zbmmmy.mp3. Looking around on the local classifieds I have a few options in the $200-$300 range.

What would be the best choice from these options to get close to that sound? Recommendations on heads/tuning would be great too.
- Taye 14x7
- Gretsch Catalina Club 13x7
- Yamaha Musashi 13x6.5
- Pearl 12x7

New New Fresh fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Well GuitarCenter claimed to have a pair of Eliminators for 300 but turns out all they have left are used floor models. So I said screw it and got some Redlines for 400 instead. Just got things set up this afternoon and messed around a bit, but so far I really like them. I stuck the blue cams on and moved the beater up closer to the drum head so I would stop hitting myself in the foot and they feel pretty good. Guess I need to actually bust out the double bass chapter in Realistic Rock and start training myself up.

New New Fresh posted:

So my current snare is a 14x5.5 with an Evans Calftone and low tuning but I'm thinking about getting another snare to try and get this kind of sound https://track5.mixtape.moe/zbmmmy.mp3. Looking around on the local classifieds I have a few options in the $200-$300 range.

What would be the best choice from these options to get close to that sound? Recommendations on heads/tuning would be great too.
- Taye 14x7
- Gretsch Catalina Club 13x7
- Yamaha Musashi 13x6.5
- Pearl 12x7

I'm miles away from an expert, but to me that snare sounds pretty dry and low, which is the sound I try for as well. My drum instructor recommended Remo Controlled Sound Coated Black Dot for my snare head and, without having a whole lot to compare it to, I like it. I've also got the 4 bottom lugs adjacent to the snare wires loosened a little bit to try and kill some of the snare buzz from my first tom and I'm getting a pretty good dry cracking sound from my snare ATM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwlbiZjrUpc

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Ooh that snare really does sound good. Thanks for the recommendations!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I have a Roland TD-3 but no high hat pedal, hence the hi-hat sound is always stuck in open position, which extremely sucks. Can I just close the loop on the hi hat pedal input with a modified 1/4 inch cord so the head thinks the pedal is always pressed, or do I risk breaking it ? (shorting it out, whatever). Thanks!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure shorted = closed? Years ago I built a bass pedal to go with Rock Band (which was basically a poo poo-tier electronic kit) by taping magnetic security toggles to the bottom of the pedal.

In fact that might be one way you could build your own HH pedal and get it working again if you can figure out what sound OPEN and SHORT correspond to.

http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2967

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I'm having a problem with my kick pedal that seems to be with the timing of the spring bounces. Every so often I'll try to kick and because of the timing of the spring the pedal is basically already moving down. So I end up just landing on it and it doesn't really "kick".

I've hosed around with a bunch and it just feels off. Is this normal?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I've gotten that before on certain songs that had syncopated double kick junk and the slave pedal would be rebounding in inopportune places due to the tempo/pattern of the song. I think I just jacked up my seat a couple inches and didn't notice it much after that.

Related enough I guess: I feel every year or two I raise my seat up more and more. When I'm 60 I'll probably have phone books jammed underneath.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Duke Chin posted:

Related enough I guess: I feel every year or two I raise my seat up more and more. When I'm 60 I'll probably have phone books jammed underneath.

I'm 6'5" so I've always had this issue but as I've gotten older (and fatter) I've raised the stool even more to avoid feeling like I'm squatting.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah all of the really tall drummers I've ever known were conversely all of the lowest-sitting drummers I've ever known. I'm average-sized-af (5'10" and probably shrinking in my middle-age) and that seat keeps going up up up

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm 6'5" so I've always had this issue but as I've gotten older (and fatter) I've raised the stool even more to avoid feeling like I'm squatting.

I hate getting old. I've been raising my throne every year and why is it house kits have to have floor toms with legs made for smurfs. Also my body hurts everywhere because I played a crash cymbal

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
[quote="“Know Such Peace”" post="“470481550”"]
Holy poo poo on that Pepe Silvia clip. Playing tight on top of spoken word is pretty legit.
[/quote]

Stopping back by the thread to revisit this guy. David Dockery puts out good stuff regularly, but he still has a criminally low subscriber amount.

If you ever listened to Imogen Heap, you’ve got to hear this performance. He tends to avoid straight drum covers, so his videos demonstrate how adding percussion can really elevate an otherwise drumless track.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So this is interesting. Rolland has mesh heads that you can put on any existing drum set to turn it into an electronic kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MroONulN7rM

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

They're finally listening to people that don't like the drat rack systems for e-drums but if you have a live kit, having to remove/replace e-drum heads with regular drum heads would get tiring. Especially the snare considering it takes me several sessions to make adjustments to the head to get the right sound or at least convince my brain it's the right sound. Would hate to go through that every time I wanted to have a e-drum set.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Was just singing the praises of Floyd Rose today only to come home to a loose tremolo arm on the monster strat. Seems like there's an allen head screw that holds the tremolo mount in place, had to pull the back plate off to get to it though. Works fine now, and I appreciate them making the tremolo arm mount replaceable, but it ate away at my limited playtime this evening. :arghfist:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Was just singing the praises of Floyd Rose today only to come home to a loose tremolo arm on the monster strat. Seems like there's an allen head screw that holds the tremolo mount in place, had to pull the back plate off to get to it though. Works fine now, and I appreciate them making the tremolo arm mount replaceable, but it ate away at my limited playtime this evening. :arghfist:

Your drums sound weird dude

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Your drums sound weird dude

Your drums don't have a Floyd Rose?!

(How the gently caress did I end up in this thread, I don't even own drums)

((Also did not know drummers could read))

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Your drums don't have a Floyd Rose?!

(How the gently caress did I end up in this thread, I don't even own drums)

((Also did not know drummers could read))

You ready for this? I saw your post because I clicked on the wrong bookmarked thread. Time is a flat circle.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Time is a flat circle.

Just like drums, man. Just like drums.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If drummers had Floyd Roses drum solos would end up being Carl Palmer's timpani solo from "Toccata", except on every drum all of the time.

...I was trying to make that seem like a bad thing, I don't think I succeeded.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Reference posted:

If drummers had Floyd Roses drum solos would end up being Carl Palmer's timpani solo from "Toccata", except on every drum all of the time.

...I was trying to make that seem like a bad thing, I don't think I succeeded.

Any timpani solo longer than ~5 seconds is inherently bad

I say this as a motherfucker whose username is timp

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I saw someone perform a solo piece for two tympani. It was as bad as you would expect

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mephiston posted:

Well, guys.. after several weeks of waiting for Alesis to actually ship them to Australia, I managed to get a hold of a brand new Alesis Command drumkit.

Also got a dp drums chain driven double kick, and a remo falam slam double kick patch so I can use the felt beaters on the mesh kick drum.

Only wound up costing me $1100AUD for the lot, so I'm super stoked about that.

My gf tells me I was alternating between giggling like a child and swearing while putting it together.

Need to get myself a mat, then either the crash 2 and tom 4 expansions, or a decent PA like a Mackie Thump 15 to go along with it all, but the hard part is done now.

How are you liking your kit? I'm really close to pulling the trigger on an Alesis Crimson II that I can get locally for about $880 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/alesis-crimson-ii-5-piece-electronic-drum-kit

e: if anyone else wants to weigh in, this would be my first kit as a beginner/hobbyist. I want to get something good enough I won't feel the urge to upgrade immediately without going over the $1k mark ideally

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 27, 2017

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

I used a $60 Wuhan China for years and had no complaints other than it doesn't fit in my cymbal case because of the traditional bell. That wasn't a big deal until my band started gigging regularly, then it just became an annoyance that I was getting tired of. I had been lusting after a Zildjian Oriental Trash China and finally had the cash set aside for it. I bought the Oriental, threw it on my kit, smacked it with a stick and immediately hated it. It sounded like a goddamn trash can lid. So back to the Wuhan. On the recommendation of a friend I decided to try this 17" Sabian Holy China and it's perfect - great rock china attack, immediate decay, fits in a cymbal case, and is even signed by some guy named Chuck Smoot (???). I guess this is also a ringing endorsement of Wuhan Chinas since the only reason I replaced it was to get something that fits in a cymbal case.

praxis fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 30, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

praxis posted:

a ringing endorsement

You son of a bitch. j/k, a good china cymbal and a 2nd floor tom are next on my list of toys to get, probably need a bigger practice space first though.

What do you call somebody that hangs around musicians all the time?
the drummer

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Oh yeah I should mention I ended up getting the big Taye 14x7. The thing is really sensitive and it can handle high tuning well, so it's a pretty solid contrast to my other snare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsrlLstjGYA

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
:lol::lol: that loving anime sticker on your snare

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

yeah dude

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Haruhi was the Rock Band-iest anime. This was notable at the time because they actually animated them really playing the instruments instead of just looping some random movements over the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUhhL1VBe6M

Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNzfoK3-yU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok I've got an extremely basic percussion question. A few work friends and I have been working on our paradiddles after a drummer was on our job for a little while. It's been fun to practice and now I'm hoping to add to it a little and improve with rhythm but I don't actually want to start using drums. Where should I look for some instruction that will start taking me a little past basic paradiddles and onto other fun things for when we're pounding out rhythms on random crap?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess you could look up the various kinds of Samba rhythms, those are kind of like paradiddles in that they're just patterns, but they're less repetitive so they're harder to learn (or were for me anyway).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqpjG13HXA

vvv Oh yeah, duh, if you're looking for variations on various Left Right beat combinations Stick Control the way to go. It's pretty much the drumming Bible.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 12, 2017

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Stick Control is ~100 pages with ~20 rhythms per page.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Alesis Strike Pro is $2300 bucks and comes with 11 pieces, including a huge fuckin 14" snare, 14" floor toms and four big cymbals. This is like a third of the list price to the comparable Roland TD-50 (comparable in pads, if not module).

The module isn't the absolute greatest but it's almost as good as the top Roland's, and sounds pretty decent compared to the Pearl Mimic.

Anyone every try this kit? It seems like an incredible value. For me pad size/quality trumps module sounds - I'm not trying to gig or professionally record with this thing, I just want a good feeling kit that won't make my neighbors kill me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jazz Marimba posted:

Stick Control is ~100 pages with ~20 rhythms per page.

Late but thank you this is perfect

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AndrewP posted:

The Alesis Strike Pro is $2300 bucks and comes with 11 pieces, including a huge fuckin 14" snare, 14" floor toms and four big cymbals. This is like a third of the list price to the comparable Roland TD-50 (comparable in pads, if not module).

The module isn't the absolute greatest but it's almost as good as the top Roland's, and sounds pretty decent compared to the Pearl Mimic.

Anyone every try this kit? It seems like an incredible value. For me pad size/quality trumps module sounds - I'm not trying to gig or professionally record with this thing, I just want a good feeling kit that won't make my neighbors kill me.

I have a Pearl ePro set which has Red Box which is the father of the Mimic and I really prefer it. The heads aren't mesh but all the drum sizes are normal and I don't feel like I'm playing Rock Band. I wouldn't use the brain to record or perform at an important gig but you can always just run everything through a MacBook and use better sounds.

I think with Roland you are really paying for the brain unit. I think the Mimc is around 5k which is why I've not bothered with it yet.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bonzo posted:

I have a Pearl ePro set which has Red Box which is the father of the Mimic and I really prefer it. The heads aren't mesh but all the drum sizes are normal and I don't feel like I'm playing Rock Band. I wouldn't use the brain to record or perform at an important gig but you can always just run everything through a MacBook and use better sounds.

I think with Roland you are really paying for the brain unit. I think the Mimc is around 5k which is why I've not bothered with it yet.

Interesting, I hadn't really considered these acoustic-conversion type electronic kits before. Also looking at the Nfuzd Nspire, too.

I'm a little concerned about the noise level, though. It may be a pad but you're still hitting it through an acoustic drum, which must be kind of loud, right?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Interesting, I hadn't really considered these acoustic-conversion type electronic kits before. Also looking at the Nfuzd Nspire, too.

I'm a little concerned about the noise level, though. It may be a pad but you're still hitting it through an acoustic drum, which must be kind of loud, right?

I honestly think the kit would sound like poo poo if you put regular heads on it. It does make more noise than a traditional Roland kit but you can't hear me outside the house which is important to me. I use noise cancelling headphones when I play and I can't hear the kit then either. ymmv

EDIT: I don't know that I would get this kit again if I had the choice. I bought it off Kijiji (:canada: Craigslist) in 2014 and it was my first foray into electronic drums. The fact that it looked like an acoustic kit made me interested. But I don't hate it either.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 21, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Pulled the trigger on the Alesis Strike Pro. Too good of a package at too good of a price to pick anything else. Seems like most of the initial problems were ironed out with firmware updates, though I am prepared to buy some used VH-11 hats. I'll report back once I get some playing time on it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

AndrewP posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Alesis Strike Pro. Too good of a package at too good of a price to pick anything else. Seems like most of the initial problems were ironed out with firmware updates, though I am prepared to buy some used VH-11 hats. I'll report back once I get some playing time on it.

After watching this video I swear it sounds like Alesis is borrowing some of the exact same old TD-20 roland drum modelling. :thunk: Some of those toms and cymbals sound exactly the same.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Can't speak to the specific samples but I feel like there's substantially less machinegunning with this kit, whereas it always stuck out to me a little bit when I heard or tried the TD-20. In any case the TD-20 was the standard for like a decade so if this is around that quality I'll be satisfied. I put more of a priority on pad size and feel than the specific sounds coming out of the module since nothing outside of a MImic Pro is going to sound THAT great.

This is priced around the TD-25KV. Nice module, quality kit for sure, but I could not stomach spending $2500 for 8" and 10" pads. I actually thought long and hard about the TD50... "only" $800 more than the TD30k and the new digital snare and ride really do seem pretty fantastic. But couldn't justify more than twice the price of the Alesis considering what you get with this package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The kit arrived today. I expected the hi-hats to be finicky I guess, but they're completely broken and aren't usable at all. I have to really press down hard for it to register the hats closed, and even then it's inconsistent. It's kind of astounding that they're still selling the product like this. Think I'm going to try to just use my old hat from the TD-4 for now and contact Alesis.

Generally the pads feel good and the module sounds are decent, not spectacular. Also after playing on a TD-4 for the past 6 or so years, I am soooo not used to a full size kit.