Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

LogicNinja posted:

Can't have ice things, after all!

(It was only easy to get high-level spells up and running if you had Vehumet and a robe and cranked INT, in which case, um, maybe you should get high-level spells?)

Was also easy to do in medium armor with Ash at least in my experience. You wouldn't get level 9 spells really but level 7 and 8 were pretty easy to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

The ideology eater posted:

Was also easy to do in medium armor with Ash at least in my experience. You wouldn't get level 9 spells really but level 7 and 8 were pretty easy to do.

Ash, like Vehumet, helps a bunch.

In general, though, even with +8 I found it hard to keep my spell power up.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So in my test Gnoll warper I found a great mace of speed. Is it still worth using if it's +0 enchantment?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Determinant on your other choices, obviously. And your choices should be wildly varied as a Gnoll!

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Actually got a win for once! After splatting a bunch of characters trying to push extended I decided it was high time I just actually won something. Found that double sword pretty early and that carried me through basically the whole game. Had a few scares due to my armor being kinda poo poo for the beginning of the game but generally it was a pretty easy run. Statue form, summon mana vipers, and silence are all super good. Ice beasts is shockingly good in the mid-late game too, tons of cold blooded stuff to slow down.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.21-a0-361-g4efd3f9 (webtiles) character file.

1655948 Lorrdernie the Omniscient (level 27, 219/219 HPs)
             Began as a Gnoll Skald on Oct 13, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Oct 14, 2017!

The game lasted 04:39:29 (74672 turns).

Lorrdernie the Omniscient (Gnoll Skald)            Turns: 74672, Time: 04:39:30

Health: 219/219    AC: 34    Str: 17    XL:     27
Magic:  54/54      EV: 26    Int: 25    God:    Ashenzari [******]
Gold:   4436       SH: 25    Dex: 22    Spells: 1/63 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis +   T - +8 double sword of Pain and Death {slice, rElec rF+ rN+} (curse)
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   N - +1 shield {rN+} (curse)
rNeg     + + .     Faith    .   F - +7 ice dragon scales (curse)
rPois    .         Spirit   .   W - +2 hat {MR+} (curse)
rElec    +         Reflect  +   M - +2 cloak {MR+} (curse)
rCorr    .         Harm     .   m - +0 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
MR       ++++.     Clarity  +   i - +0 pair of boots {Stlth+}
Stlth    +++.......             E - brooch of Shielding {Reflect SH+8} (curse)
HPRegen  0.46/turn              B - ring "Oxex" {Wiz +Inv rF+ MP+9 Dex+4} (curse)
MPRegen  0.34/turn              k - +4 ring of slaying

@: hasted, deflect missiles, very quick
A: distributed training, fangs 2, hooves 1, iridescent scales 1, yellow scales
2, blink, blurry vision 1, deformed body, deterioration 2, evolution 2, no
potion heal 1, strong nose
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver
a: Blink, Curse Item, Scrying, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Lorrdernie/morgue-Lorrdernie-20171014-085609.txt
Edit: Oh and deflect missles is super good too

The ideology eater fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 14, 2017

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Is singularity back yet?

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I just found an unreal artifact helmet as a Tengu of Ashenzari. Just like the now 4 times I have found early Lear's Hauberk it's been the few times I have played a troll, or once, as an ogre.

singularity is gone, my friend.

But not forgotten.

The gnoll nerfs don't seem too bad bc honestly they're kind of insane if you get the right poo poo going

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
First time playing Gnoll, and it's pretty drat fun. I've never even had a 3 rune win, but this character feels like it could go further? http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/catfork/catfork.txt

Vaults or Slime for 3rd rune?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

I'd start with Vaults. Standard procedure for me at least is to run Vaults 1-4 and then go through Depths to gain more experience before trying Vaults 5. Good luck!

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

How do yall like to play Tengu?

edit: I got one that's about to go into Lair and I feel fragile as gently caress. I found an early troll armor that is now enchanted to +4 and I found an early artifact great mace that is like +8 crushing, rElec Int+8 dex+3 I think. It feels like melee is a trap... I have decent spell book drops but no Amnesia scrolls to forget some of the poo poo I have. I started as wizard bc im a sucker for those start spells even though the blaster apts seem more straightforward. I just can't not use this mace lol. I have ice beast and canine summons and Hepliaklqana with a hexer. This bird guy feels all over the place. I mostly roll over everything except when I dont!

What now...? gently caress the mace and use it as a spellcast buff and use conj?? I got some heavy hitting conjurations if I can fuckin get a drat amnesia scroll or two

I am Otis fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 17, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Embrace the summoner life, bring out ice beasts and into the later summons (mana viper/shadow creatures) and slam everything that's distracted with your mace.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Embrace the summoner life, bring out ice beasts and into the later summons (mana viper/shadow creatures) and slam everything that's distracted with your mace.

I second this. Tengu are really good summoners thanks to the good weapon aptitudes and the good summoning aptitude. My only winning Tengu absolutely abused Malign Gateway once it got online, mainly because it's extremely good against orbs of fire (can't get hurt by them, can fight them out of LoS, blocks Malmutate).

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Dope I love summons. Added damage plus they're linebackers and let you get out while you still can.

I have never cast malign gateway but I've always wanted to get it running

Thanks friends

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I am Otis posted:

How do yall like to play Tengu?

edit: I got one that's about to go into Lair and I feel fragile as gently caress. I found an early troll armor that is now enchanted to +4 and I found an early artifact great mace that is like +8 crushing, rElec Int+8 dex+3 I think. It feels like melee is a trap... I have decent spell book drops but no Amnesia scrolls to forget some of the poo poo I have. I started as wizard bc im a sucker for those start spells even though the blaster apts seem more straightforward. I just can't not use this mace lol. I have ice beast and canine summons and Hepliaklqana with a hexer. This bird guy feels all over the place. I mostly roll over everything except when I dont!

What now...? gently caress the mace and use it as a spellcast buff and use conj?? I got some heavy hitting conjurations if I can fuckin get a drat amnesia scroll or two

Get the mace to min delay as well and don't neglect fighting

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I always get lots of fighting, especially w fragile races. But I'm not sure about min delay on the mace, I feel like I shouldn't use it as primary offense esp since I have summons and good conjuration apts. I'm definitely knocking dudes out w the mace and I have it to 1.0 or .9 speed :clint:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've never used Spectral Weapon before, and just found it on my Gnoll Wiz. Does it only attack when I physically attack, or do magic attacks count as well?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Physically attack only.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Gnolls have renewed my interest in this game. Having a blast just using everything I find. If I'm a Cheibro, is Ponderous still a deathtrap? I'm already aware I'm moving really slowly, maybe I'll get even more piety/slouch power by creating an even wider speed gap?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

Gnolls have renewed my interest in this game. Having a blast just using everything I find. If I'm a Cheibro, is Ponderous still a deathtrap? I'm already aware I'm moving really slowly, maybe I'll get even more piety/slouch power by creating an even wider speed gap?

Well you have blink?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

It's not a death trap if your invocations is high enough that you can step from time.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I wouldn't go that far. You still need to be able to move in combat on a pretty regular basis. Anything that slows you down even more does hurt. Time stepping is far from a guaranteed way to get you out of trouble, but it does help a lot.

And don't underestimate Temporal Distortion. The abilities do almost the same exact thing aside from the duration. They both temporarily delete you from existence and have monsters continue to act as if you weren't there for X turns.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't consider ponderous a deathtrap even if you're not on chei. +0.1 movespeed means it takes 10 turns for a normal movespeed monster to gain a single tile on you that it wouldn't normally, so it can only make a difference in escaping if you have to retreat 10 or more tiles to reach an escape and there's only a 1 tile gap in between the monster you want to stairdance away from. It's quite rare that that has a significant negative effect on you past the very start of the game, and quite common that the huge enchantment bonus ponderous armors spawn with will be very helpful.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

which do I use

I have multiple good shields (a buckler with slay+5 and the large shield of ignorance) so staying one-handed is attractive. The 8-point int swing on the axe vs the sword amounts to silence going from 16% failure to 22%

e: the rapier is mostly there to have an anti-magic swap, I'm probably not gonna use it as my primary weapon

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm assuming Gnolls? A +10 broad axe of speed is pretty much one of the best hypothetical one-handers in existence, it's up to you if can handle the int hit.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Odds are he can if he views an antimagic weapon as a viable alternative for the slot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Okay cool I wasn't sure how it compared to the sword mostly. Silence will be a bit shaky but I can always have the sword as a swap

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just stepped on a teleport trap in zot 5, got immediately berserked by a moth of wrath with three OoFs onscreen, and tabbed through them without going below 90%

then I died not five minutes later to a berserked shadow dragon because I leaned on tab too hard

that's crawl I guess

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Just like the saying goes, tabbed if you do, tabbed if you don't!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Fhqwhgads posted:

If I'm a Cheibro, is Ponderous still a deathtrap? I'm already aware I'm moving really slowly, maybe I'll get even more piety/slouch power by creating an even wider speed gap?

Not nearly as dangerous as shallow water. You may get a bit more slouch power, but because math it's not really worth it. You get about four times the movement speed difference in damage, so it's just trivial. There are reasons I'd still use ponderous gear, especially if Gastronok delivered that special hat, but in terms of plate armor it is still at best just a trade off till you can replace with a useful ego and enchant. I mean it is amazingly inexpensive in the shops, if nothing else has shown up. Particularly "great" on formicids because murderholes.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
It occurs to me that, by the calendar, we should be expecting a new version and tournament relatively soon - within a month, certainly, since twice a year seems to be the usual schedule.

But aside from gnolls (an excellent addition) and some changes in how monsters spawn, what's even new in a theoretical 0.21? I can't think of any other major additions.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Prism posted:

It occurs to me that, by the calendar, we should be expecting a new version and tournament relatively soon - within a month, certainly, since twice a year seems to be the usual schedule.

But aside from gnolls (an excellent addition) and some changes in how monsters spawn, what's even new in a theoretical 0.21? I can't think of any other major additions.

Wu jian
Also I splatted a berserker on the orb run which feels more brutal now that they removed helpful wands.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
First time doing Zot, which weapon is best for a MiBe (http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/catfork/catfork.txt)

- the +11 morningstar "Uzeeczar" {chaos, MR+ SInv Stlth+}
- a +7 vampiric demon whip
- the +7 eveningstar "Coirisim" {antimagic, MR+ Str+4}

I assume the Vamp demon whip?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Vampiric for the bulk of your fighting, antimagic for the spellcasters (bash once or twice, switch back).

In other news, I YASD a hopeful Mummy by taking on Nikola. But I got the last laugh, the Chain Lightning he casted killed HIM first! :suicide:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

another loser posted:

First time doing Zot, which weapon is best for a MiBe (http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/catfork/catfork.txt)

- the +11 morningstar "Uzeeczar" {chaos, MR+ SInv Stlth+}
- a +7 vampiric demon whip
- the +7 eveningstar "Coirisim" {antimagic, MR+ Str+4}

I assume the Vamp demon whip?

Switch to the eveningstar if you're against undead/demons/OoFs, vampwhip otherwise.

Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies
If 0.21's only change was the removal of Caustic Shrikes it would be the best patch since the removal of Shadow Traps.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

.21 actually made caustic shrikes more common :classiclol:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Caustic shrikes are seriously bullshit when they randomly show up in huge packs. Even with rCorr you can't fight more than two on the average character before they corrode you to hell and back. You have no choice but to burn a teleport or die and you have to do it preemptively because they kill you fast.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

gently caress em

Fighting caustic shrikes it's get got and die quick. I recommend using any available means to just avoid the fight even if you have rCorr like Kraken says. They cut your stats so quickly

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
And yet the devs think the game is too easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly they've removed alot of the grind

• Locked thread