Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Thief posted:

lol

always been half interested in owning a cheap Fiero and came across this during my monthly browsing of funny bodykits

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-fiero-gt-price-lowered/6323291813.html

🤔

"Running car, never started" that's gonna blow the head gasket(s) the instant you turn the key, innit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its an 86 so it doesn't have the handling upgrades of the 88 iirc, and its the built motor that hasn't been started according to the ad. Also, edlebrock makes a manifold to convert those cars over to carbed, but I'd probably convert it over to a more modern tbi fuel injection system. Would probably be more reliable than the stock FI or a carb and more tunable from home than either of the other options.

Edit: Still buy it tho.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 21, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You know those Fieros would be pretty awesome with a modern ecoboost 4 in them I say.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Coredump posted:

You know those Fieros would be pretty awesome with a modern ecoboost 4 in them I say.

That's a weird way to spell LS7.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
An even weirder way to say MR2 or X1/9.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Owning a Model T is cool and good, and you should all find the time to drive one. It's not a car to daily obviously, but it's more than driving in parades. Take it out of the city and drive up a back road, tootle along at 35-45 and enjoy the scenery and life.

Can't deny that the crew that loves these things is old though, Dad's pushing 70 and is young among his peers.

And don't wrap your thumb around the crank when starting. The crank connection is kind of designed so the motor can't push it hard, it hooks in and the force should push the handle out and allow the motor to spin freely, but things happen pretty quick, and if you're pushing against it, the crank can whack around. I believe good form is to just crank for half of the circle and in a method that pulls it back out away from the motor.

Here's a picture where you can see it, courtesy of my fathers shop. Also pictured, a socket and a wrench he probably thought were lost.

There's one I always see parked next to the IHOP in town. Not sure if it belongs to someone there, or someone that works at the college directly across the street, or what. It looks cool and I'd like to ride in one, but never own one.

Having recently needed to park a car with a slipped serpentine belt, how did they handle having no power steering (obviously more recent than 1920 too)? Bigger steering wheels, was the steering ratio or whatever you call it higher too?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'd guess a combination of manual steering box, like you said, with a different ratio, and people back then were way more manly.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There's one I always see parked next to the IHOP in town. Not sure if it belongs to someone there, or someone that works at the college directly across the street, or what. It looks cool and I'd like to ride in one, but never own one.

Having recently needed to park a car with a slipped serpentine belt, how did they handle having no power steering (obviously more recent than 1920 too)? Bigger steering wheels, was the steering ratio or whatever you call it higher too?

Skinny tires, lots of leverage (big steering wheels, low gearing). Performance expectations were lower, as well. You did what you had to do to turn the car, and that's just the way it was.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Manual steering usually has a much lower ratio (more turns lock to lock). Combine that with cars that were generally lighter and tires that were narrower and harder, and you end up with a reasonable steering effort.

With that said, there's a reason power steering has been standard on nearly every vehicle for decades.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Manual steering usually has a much lower ratio (more turns lock to lock). Combine that with cars that were generally lighter and tires that were narrower and harder, and you end up with a reasonable steering effort.

With that said, there's a reason power steering has been standard on nearly every vehicle for decades.

Yeah, you can tell when PS became standard equipment on cars. Steering wheels shrank to about half the size they had been.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The thing about a model t is there is cruising speed and stopped, theres no in between so not having power steering isnt a problem but its pretty light anyways. Thats why they kinda suck in traffic. Accelerating requires throttle on the left hand and timing on the right so really during this transition phase good luck steering you only have 2 hands but it is designed to require 3.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
My Acty with it's tiny wheels and super light weight is ez pz with manual steering. My wife's Tracker though, while light does have some beefy tires and it's an effort to wrench the wheels around at low speed. Has AC, but no power steering.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Plus with a manual box you have to be somewhat smarter when it comes to parking so you can carry the car in on some momentum making turning easier. Just something you learn and get used to.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i felt like a surgeon driving my gf's automatic after dailying with no power steering in a city where you have to parallel park everywhere

but it aint so bad in most cars so long as you're rolling 3mph

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Nah, it's easy on most cars, it's nothing like a rack and pinion power steering rack when the system fails - that shits hard. But recirc ball non power steering as easy to turn the wheel. Every mazda I've had from 1971 to 1982 had no power steering (and the rx3 had 205 tyres so not exactly thin). It was not much harder to steer with a small steering wheel than say for example my 1990 BMW e34 with power steering. Both have recirc ball steering boxes BTW.
Same for brothers and friends datsuns and toyotas.
Rack and pinion and land yachts is why power steering became very common.
E: Thinking about it some more, my dads old holdens were harder to steer but I can't remember what sort of steering box they used. It's kind of weird because 1960s holdens weren't that much heavier cars.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 22, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Fo3 posted:

Nah, it's easy on most cars, it's nothing like a rack and pinion power steering rack when the system fails - that shits hard.
Yeah, my '71 Nova with unpowered steering was a good bit harder to turn at a stop than working power steering, but nothing compared to failed power steering. Always wanted to get a suicide knob for it, never did because questionable legality (I know they're banned in some states, could not figure out if Texas was one of them).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, that's a good point. I guess if you're driving something with failed power steering you're fighting the power steering system as well as the tires?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Yeah, power steering does not exactly fail safe. Imagine power steering as 1, and power steering that's thrown the belt as 10. Unpowered steering is a 3, maybe 4.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/buick-4x4-station-wagan/6346974714.html

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd move the decimal point one... no, make it two spaces to the left.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Its always a Fiero, unless it's a car on a truck frame, then its always a Blazer.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'd move the decimal point one... no, make it two spaces to the left.

The bumper sticker moves it another one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Friend on Facebook forwarded this to me:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/974796852657280/

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
since i always post this type of poo poo. i sure would want this for 11k over anything else!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/not-vanagon-4wd-diesel-toyota/6356900193.html

Brolander fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 24, 2017

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-vw-golf-gti-vrspeed/6339258406.html

Someone talk me out of this please

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New oil/pan, rad/coolant, i'm sure the head gasket is fine, do it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Umm ahh shouldn't there only be two of them? This doesn't even make fake sense.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Brolander posted:

since i always post this type of poo poo. i sure would want this for 11k over anything else!

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/not-vanagon-4wd-diesel-toyota/6356900193.html

Are you mocking it? I can't tell because while the ad is goofy (toyota Toyota TOYOTA) they will probably easily get that price, it's a turbo diesel Toyota manual transmission van in the pacific northwest. I get that it isn't a Delica but #vanlife yo.
And honestly I would probably like that more than most things, although I imagine they probably paid around 3-4k at auction for that. Maybe less!

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I mean i wouldnt have expected that to be a reasonable price either, thats holding its value like a truck. I guess it is a truck though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Umm ahh shouldn't there only be two of them? This doesn't even make fake sense.

See, now that’s what I was thinking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Just found this looking for stuff for my brand new broken tofu delivery machine:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/d/1uz-trade-sale/6336302324.html

Hmmmm. Buy. Remove 1UZ. Sell RA20 shell. Stuff 1UZ in AE86. Profit?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

E: I don’t have the cash or the time to spare, but I remember this thread, and I dream:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

KakerMix posted:

Are you mocking it? I can't tell because while the ad is goofy (toyota Toyota TOYOTA) they will probably easily get that price, it's a turbo diesel Toyota manual transmission van in the pacific northwest. I get that it isn't a Delica but #vanlife yo.
And honestly I would probably like that more than most things, although I imagine they probably paid around 3-4k at auction for that. Maybe less!

it's loving awesome. i am mocking it only slightly

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I am tempted

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I owned a '73 and it was dog slow I can't imagine how an auto would be but putting a V8 in that thing would be fun.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/92-bmw-e30-m60-v8-swap/6349598763.html

Sweet gently caress is this clean

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Too bad that's a vert cuz it's loving awesome.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Not too shabby! Wish there were more snaps of the interior, though. If I had my car paid off I'd swap it for this in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Wow that interior and engine bay. Don't love the wheels, lip, or smoked headlights though.