Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

StandardVC10 posted:

I watched the first episode of Ancient Magus' Bride. I'm interested, but I don't know whether to watch the OVAs - getting more context is good, but I'm not sure I want to see the main character just getting more and more miserable for three episodes if that's what it is. Help me ADTRW

It shows a bit of Chise's bummer of a childhood, but mostly it's a standalone, little adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
PS: Elias is about as dapper as you can reasonably expect an incredibly tall guy with a dog's skull for a head to be. :wotwot:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Today's Magus Bride episode was really really good, easily the best so far.

More magical creatures gently trying to help Chise build her self-worth, please.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Today's Magus Bride episode was really really good, easily the best so far.

More magical creatures gently trying to help Chise build her self-worth, please.

good news thats literally the entire series

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

good news thats literally the entire series

:neckbeard:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:yeah:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The pacing and scene-to-scene composition in Konohana Kitan is really weird. In terms of individual segments/parts it's executed well enough, but so far I've ended every episode somewhat :confused: despite ostensibly enjoying the story/characters as presented thus far. It feels rushed in the same sort of way Angel Beats did.

I came very close to dropping MMO Junkies in the middle of the second episode but I'm glad I didn't, it seems very promising at the moment. Kind of reminds me of Densha Otoko.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Second episode of FMP: Sagara finally actually saves Kaname from something. We meet a guy I assume will be our main villain.

Using the KGB as villains instead of a SPECTRE-type organization surprised me, although the guy who will probably be our main villain seems to be only loosely affiliated with them.

Kurz has thankfully been kept to a minimum so far (although his whining about Sosuke's paranoia the one type Sosuke actually had a reason to be worried isn't endearing me to Kurz).

Third episode: In response to Sosuke's ignorance of Japanese food, Kurz asks him if he's even Japanese, which is...a good question, actually. Guy must have a lot of seriously weird backstory.

Speaking of nationalities, the soft-spoken silver-haired Mithril woman is established as American, but they make a point of setting up the villain guy's nationality as a mystery, with him cryptically saying that he isn't Chinese. Now I'm wondering if there's going to be some weird twist like him turning out to be Sosuke's father.

Sosuke actually manages to have a point again (though probably for the wrong reasons on his part) when he reacts skeptically to Mao wanting him to take a break. Letting Kurz handle it seems like an absolutely terrible idea. Sure enough, Mao seems to regret her decision pretty quickly.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Ep 4: Wow, a hijacking where the hijacker straight up kills the pilot. A glance at Wikipedia reveals that the anime "originally aired in 2002 after its original air date was canceled because of the September 11 attacks," so this is actually a coincidental prediction. You can tell because the pilots find this type of hijacking inconceivable ("Who's going to fly the plane?"). Though it's still not actually a 9/11-style hijacking, since the hijacker just changes the destination instead of crashing the plane.

I had to Google the Khanka Autonomous Region. Turns out it was made up for the anime (although there is an actual Lake Khanka around the place shown on the map), but in the original LNs it was North Korea.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
If you're not watching Land of the Lustrous, you're missing out on some frankly stunning 3d work.
https://streamable.com/q93ug

I was hella suspicious of the show being done in full CGI, but they're doing an incredible job. Berserk should be taking notes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aaaa i think i'm i love with the camera movement in that scene

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Two Cars continues to be good. The commentator's personality flip is fun, all the pairs are pretty charming (especially the elegantly romantic couple, I hope they get some focus later), this small arc about the rich girl/poor girl team has been interesting (that crash... :ohdear:) and it's been pretty drat good at just explaining some of the nuance and technical aspects of this crazy sport. My only issue is when they race without helmets, like holy crap that is insanely dangerous

https://files.catbox.moe/vhqnm8.webm

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Knorth posted:

Two Cars continues to be good. The commentator's personality flip is fun, all the pairs are pretty charming (especially the elegantly romantic couple, I hope they get some focus later), this small arc about the rich girl/poor girl team has been interesting (that crash... :ohdear:) and it's been pretty drat good at just explaining some of the nuance and technical aspects of this crazy sport. My only issue is when they race without helmets, like holy crap that is insanely dangerous

I'm glad Faceless Sensei got written out of the show in episode 1, hope it stays that way.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Its a good source of tension between them but yeah, doesn't need to come back. Lol at him not having a face though, that was a good touch

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Knorth posted:

How the gently caress did I miss a show about racing.

e: is it being streamed anywhere?

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 22, 2017

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

iospace posted:

How the gently caress did I miss a show about racing.

e: is it being streamed anywhere?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/twocar

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GODS loving DAMMIT THEY MADE A TWIN RING MOTEGI JOKE

e: Given the fact the teacher went to Isle of Man, he's probably dead :rip:

(No really, the Isle of Man TT is by far the most dangerous street race in the world, with multiple fatalities every year)

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 22, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Girls Last Tour is not a relaxing show for me. I think there's a constant undercurrent of tension much of the time.

Im surprised by that honestly. The characters seem so comfortable with themselves, their world, and their circumstances that I never really feel like there's something to worry about. Compare that to something like Texnolyze or Casshern Sins where there's a strong sense of impending doom that everyone is struggling against. Yuu and Chi aren't really struggling, or at least aren't presented as struggling. They simply do what they know.

DarknessTear
Sep 14, 2004

Wild Arms is a rad game.

StandardVC10 posted:

I watched the first episode of Ancient Magus' Bride. I'm interested, but I don't know whether to watch the OVAs - getting more context is good, but I'm not sure I want to see the main character just getting more and more miserable for three episodes if that's what it is. Help me ADTRW

I'm probably way too late, but watch the OVAs. I feel they're pretty essential in understanding some of the first episode.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, three ep review: whoever is writing Two Car is doing some serious research. I loved the bit where they mentioned titanium, which is known to spark very well when in contact with pavement (which was something F1 decided to bring back last year).

But the lack of helmets makes me facepalm. And the lack of mention of how dangerous Isle of Man is.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Having finally watched the trailers for TWOCAR i have to say that while it doesn't look very good i'm really going to have to at least show it to my friend who's done some sidecar racing.

Also, c'mon girls it's ATGATT not like this

sheesh

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

iospace posted:

GODS loving DAMMIT THEY MADE A TWIN RING MOTEGI JOKE

e: Given the fact the teacher went to Isle of Man, he's probably dead :rip:

(No really, the Isle of Man TT is by far the most dangerous street race in the world, with multiple fatalities every year)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Araki posted:

Konohana Kitan: Consistently cute, increasingly gay. I like the design and variety of the townspeople and visitors.

What the... the oldass yuri manga about the fox girl hotspring resort got an anime in 2017?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yep.

Also i just learned it ran in Yuri Hime S so it's actually officially a yuri manga. I had no idea (and have only watched 1 episode)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Woah, the yuri manga about the gnome people and talking animals is getting an anime too???

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a kitten posted:

Having finally watched the trailers for TWOCAR i have to say that while it doesn't look very good i'm really going to have to at least show it to my friend who's done some sidecar racing.

Also, c'mon girls it's ATGATT not like this

sheesh

Yeah, that's my biggest gripe is the lack of ATGATT. Otherwise it seems to be a character drama with the backdrop of sidecar racing. I'll probably continue watching.

Though they actually did do some good work in making sure the racing is correct.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

a kitten posted:

Yep.

Also i just learned it ran in Yuri Hime S so it's actually officially a yuri manga. I had no idea (and have only watched 1 episode)

I just remember reading it when I was really young and devouring all the yuri stuff I found when I discovered online manga for some reason (definitely not because I was gay) and then for years I vaguely remembered it but couldn't find it (thought it might be an itou hachi thing) and then randomly found it a few months ago and now it has an anime. Kinda surreal.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Is Himouto! Umaru-chan any good? I never saw S1 but seem to remember very mixed reviews here. Main character really sucks, something like that?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

♦️Good ♦️ luck ♦️, gay ♦️ foxes.♦️

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Agronox posted:

Is Himouto! Umaru-chan any good? I never saw S1 but seem to remember very mixed reviews here. Main character really sucks, something like that?

it's ok but it's low-tier dogakobo. s1 was kind of an introduction to modern stuff for me but there's no reason to watch it if you haven't already watched gabriel dropout or something

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Konohana Kitan anime is good and I'm glad it exists.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked Umaru more than Gabriel Dropout tbh

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Update: I'm up to 15 anime. I added gay foxes and MMO Junkie and I forgot about Kino's Journey. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna watch it all.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I liked Blend S ep 3 better than the first 2 by a good bit and I liked the first 2 a lot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

it's ok but it's low-tier dogakobo. s1 was kind of an introduction to modern stuff for me but there's no reason to watch it if you haven't already watched gabriel dropout or something

I had to google Dogakobo because I thought it was some weird genre term I had never heard, but it's just a loving studio you forgot to capitalize.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

okay

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/vestenet/status/922184558933573633

Oh please, i'm sure that that's a photoshop or someth---

welp :eng99:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution