Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

there's this free software (it's free software) that helps you manage all the different settings hidden behind the registry and it's been updated for the fall update, it is called O&O ShutUp 10 and it's really good: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

:c00l:

just use Linux :pt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Bulgakov posted:

windows ce/pocketpc/windows mobile was the honest microsoft phone experience :rip:

I'm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Mine forced portrait mode on boot, even when it's connected to the keyboard. Every boot now it reverts back to portrait mode

your operating system is telling you you're holding it wrong

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

bust most importantly, does linux on windows do ext4

found a better solution that dualboot, i guess. virtualbox can access hardware bypassing the os layers so i can virtualbox into linux for ext4 access through vagrant deployment from pycharm

this is cyber as gently caress or whatever, but i dont really need dualbooting for anything else

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

anthonypants posted:

maybe later but not today

also i think if you had the old ubuntu for windows and you install ubuntu for windows from the app store you get two ubuntu for windows installs lol

e: yep two installs

eh, they are loving lazy about these insider-into-release experiences, but the linux subsystem is so good that i'll give them all kinds of passes for not going "man this is a huge hassle, let's eol this thing before cementing it in the support cycle with a full release" (seeing how microsoft has adopted a very google-like attention span this seemed far too likely)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pram posted:

looks like some guys shoddy homebrew hobbyist windows 95 port

imo all windows software ever

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

Not so lucky gold star edition

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

flakeloaf posted:

Not so lucky gold star family edition

:smith:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

divorced couple each living in their separate one bedroom apartment & their kids trying to fall asleep at an orphanage Family Edition 2017 by Microsoft

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

maybe later but not today

also i think if you had the old ubuntu for windows and you install ubuntu for windows from the app store you get two ubuntu for windows installs lol

e: yep two installs

tbf the initial build of linux4windowz was some extremely pre-release poo poo and you had to go out of your way to install the alpha version of it

so, par for the course for linux stuff really

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

divorced couple each living in their separate one bedroom apartment & their kids trying to fall asleep at an orphanage Family Edition 2017 by Microsoft

your honour, i would like to request euthanasia of their golden retriever since they've repeatedly shown themselves irresponsible and you deny me custody 365

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cinci zoo sniper posted:

your honour, i would like to request euthanasia of their golden retriever since they've repeatedly shown themselves irresponsible and you deny me custody 365

you cannot prove that i killed those five children, i am literally untouchable for Workgroups

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
i keep misreading it as fail creators update

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

hang on let me janitor my spreadsheet because microsoft assumes scientific notation is a thing that people want by default

the worst thing about this isn't that it scientific notates things, but that if you convert it after it's already done, then it will lose a bunch of numbers.

say, you enter in 1234 5678 9012 3456 and then it does its thing, after you change it to a text only thing or something, it will become 1234 5678 9012 0000

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

please use better tools than excel if you require that level of precision

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

There Will Be Penalty posted:

you’re not misreading it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
microsoft is bringing back one of the only good things they've ever done https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/17/16488406/microsoft-classic-intellimouse-features

pram
Jun 10, 2001
looks bad op

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the intellimouse was great when it came out, but idk why anyone would want one today. like maybe if you just got a mac which means you need a mouse, but there are better ones out there (mostly from Logitech)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i wish they'd bring back the trackball explorer, that thing is the best.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shaggar posted:

the intellimouse was great when it came out, but idk why anyone would want one today. like maybe if you just got a mac which means you need a mouse, but there are better ones out there (mostly from Logitech)

yeah.. i thought it was good for pro gamers because it had a huge ceiling at the time for movement and then everyone jumped on the "buy the same poo poo pro gamers do" bandwagon

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Shaggar posted:

The best Logitech mouse was the MX500. It's all been downhill from there.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i had the wireless version of the mx500 and it was a good mouse. the mx revolution is the best mouse, but Logitech doesn't want to make good mice anymore

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

There Will Be Penalty posted:

installed the update and windows keeps blue screening, checks out

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
did they actually kill file history? i'm updating right now and i forgot to check

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what the gently caress are 3d models, why does it need its own file in every explorer overview and who thought it was a good idea to not be able to remove things from the finder overview by a simple right click?

it's almost as if the microsoft people wants everyone to buy something else

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Fiedler posted:

The best Logitech mouse was the MX500. It's all been downhill from there.

:wrong:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phoenixan posted:

did they actually kill file history? i'm updating right now and i forgot to check
no

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
whoever made the hold music for skype call center should get a raise. poo poo is chill as gently caress :420:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
by skype call center i mean the number you call to join

we dont use skype lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I remember having to roll out a loving registry key to all our terrible winmo5.x/6.x devices because of the daylight savings time change and MS couldn't get off their rear end to push it down through the windows update channel that was on all the devices because MS loathes their users

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
lol my company finally showed up on the smb1 clearinghouse page

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

to make games work better, disable games mode

also there's no fighting in the war room

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the update reenabled system sounds. thanks whatever rear end in a top hat did that

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

the fall creators update works fine for me. update was smooth and nothing broke on my laptop and aging gaming pc

I don’t have autism and janitor my pc so maybe that’s why

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Number19 posted:

I don’t have autism and janitor my pc

I have bad news for you, bro...

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

the update reenabled system sounds. thanks whatever rear end in a top hat did that
fuckin lol

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/aestheticnon/status/922973638567096320

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://www.fastcodesign.com/90147868/exclusive-microsoft-has-stopped-manufacturing-the-kinect

quote:

Manufacturing of the Kinect has shut down. Originally created for the Xbox 360, Microsoft’s watershed depth camera and voice recognition microphone sold ~35 million units since its debut in 2010, but Microsoft will no longer produce it when retailers sell off their existing stock. The company will continue to support Kinect for customers on Xbox, but ongoing developer tools remain unclear.

lol. soon: manufacturing of the xbox has shut down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can't wait for the xb1xx to flop and signal microsoft's final failure and retreat from the video game market