Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Q8ee posted:

I just find it really hard to believe - no matter how good you are - that a human being can respond that fast and be so reflexive. the connection between seeing and reacting is miniscule and just screams assistance.

A sign that he's not using aim assist in that video is that when the hacker speeds behind a tree from the left, he moves his crosshairs to the opposite side (where the hacker's trajectory would be taking them). But the hacker does a 180 and exits back out the left side and he has to catch up.

There are aim assists that account for trajectory, but the rest of his shots in that clip don't exhibit that behavior. Plus, it's not worth the risk as a full-time streamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a guide out there to looting faster? I feel like I'm losing a lot of time in the beginning of the game taking too long to get through a house. I mean, aside from knowing from the pictures what an item is rather than reading the description. Should I keep a general mental list of stuff I want vs what I don't want? Should I ignore closing doors when looting early smaller buildings? I usually am the first one to land unless I completely screw up my drop, but I feel like I take too long to loot. I try not to click so fast that I cancel my looting, so that's a step.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This game is fun. If intense. I have a hard time securing kills, and getting melee attacks in. I wish itd tell me how much damage i did and to whom at the end. Otherwise its super intense.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cosmicjim posted:

It’s not just the accuracy that is scary. It’s the decision making time.
One that stands out to me was posted here. He goes through a doorway with a double barrel and kills a guy camping the stairs with one chamber and kills his partner with the other chamber faster than I can comprehend aiming at the first guy.

It helps that he encourages stream snipers so every game is essentially glorified target practice for him.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

My favorite part of this is he's already apologizing before he even finishes the burst. That's how high-strung his reflexes are

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cheston posted:

A sign that he's not using aim assist in that video is that when the hacker speeds behind a tree from the left, he moves his crosshairs to the opposite side (where the hacker's trajectory would be taking them). But the hacker does a 180 and exits back out the left side and he has to catch up.

There are aim assists that account for trajectory, but the rest of his shots in that clip don't exhibit that behavior. Plus, it's not worth the risk as a full-time streamer.

when you break it down like that, it's actually much easier to see he's just freakishly good. god drat.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Shroud went on to say that the longest he's gone on a video-game streak without going outside was 2.5 months while living with his dad. dude is basically a video game monk

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a guide out there to looting faster? I feel like I'm losing a lot of time in the beginning of the game taking too long to get through a house. I mean, aside from knowing from the pictures what an item is rather than reading the description. Should I keep a general mental list of stuff I want vs what I don't want? Should I ignore closing doors when looting early smaller buildings? I usually am the first one to land unless I completely screw up my drop, but I feel like I take too long to loot. I try not to click so fast that I cancel my looting, so that's a step.

Always have a mental shopping list. You'll get better at recognizing items as you play, but being able to move on to new rooms after just a glance to confirm there's nothing of interest can really speed up your play. A lot of the time, especially for small rooms, I'll just pull up my inventory window as I enter the room and not even bother looking down.

I usually close doors behind me, but that's more of a situational decision. You need to be weighing the chances of other people coming upon your houses vs extra time spent loving around with doors vs. not remembering you already went in there. I dunno if this changes in the extreme early game - having a dude run into the house you just cleaned when it's only his second or third house could really gently caress up his chances of threatening you. I find it's more useful in places like Rozhok where there's enough houses that it's hard for anyone to keep a mental list of who's been where.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Shroud went on to say that the longest he's gone on a video-game streak without going outside was 2.5 months while living with his dad. dude is basically a video game monk

At that point, it's not monk-like, it's a crippling case of agoraphobia.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dude even has a girlfriend. Who also games a lot from what I've heard on his stream. So I basically picture him having the classic "internet girlfriend" and they've never actually met since they never leave their houses.

Doesn't one of the people he regularly plays with live with him? Or is his assistant or something?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The hard truth about Shroud, like pretty much every other athlete at the top of their game, is that he is using performance enhancers. Everyone has experienced brief moments of being "In the Zone" when playing games that made it seem like you were playing in slow motion. By taking certain chemicals that feeling can be enhanced and prolonged.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Rex-Goliath posted:

My favorite part of this is he's already apologizing before he even finishes the burst. That's how high-strung his reflexes are
and then how his friend doesn't even register until a second later. Everyone else is in slow-motion compared to him

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
I decided to give this game a shot and looking for advice for a competitive FPS noob. I haven't played a computer FPS since Tribes 1 like 20 years ago. I had 1 decent match where I got 3 kills and 6th place, but otherwise this has been a disaster. I can make it to top 10 virtually everytime if I do no fighting, but I seem to lose every fight. I am using a decent laptop (i7, 16gigs, Geforce GTX 970m 4gigs), I have a really cheap amazon wireless mouse and using my wifi (which is really super fast).

For instance, I had a early fight where I shot a guy 3 times with a pistol and he punched me to death. I was moving as much as I could and missed at least 4 shots as he was jumping around. I know one of the shots hit him in the right shoulder, but otherwise not quite sure. I had another fight where I unloaded full auto from an AK and I swear I was shooting shoulders/head and he was able to kill me with 1 shot. Another time I had the drop on someone, their back was too me. I unloaded with an uzi from maybe 20 feet, full clip (I'm sure only half or less hit him) and he was able to turn around and kill me in 2 hits.

How do you guys learn how much to lead people? How much bullets drop? When I watch streamers it seems like a lot of the time they are aiming directly at the person, but I've had a few times I've missed someone just standing still. I don't know if I shot over them or under, but I had my crosshairs right on their head.

Do I need to really be sure on trying to headshot people? Is it possible they have armor and I'm mostly hitting that? Bottom line, I know I'm pretty bad but really want to try and get better. Would a "gaming" mouse help? Wired connection instead of wifi? I did have one really awesome kill from 90 meters on a guy who just got into his vehicle. 2 bursts from my gun and he was dead as I was crawling thru a field.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
for leading someone, the rough guide with ARs is that if they're sprinting perpendicular to you, you aim one player-space in front of them for every 100m

so if someone's 300m away from you sprinting side to side, you aim three player-bodies in front of them, and so on. these are with the 5.56 ARs -- AK and Groza are a bit slower so you wanna aim like 1.25 players ahead. Adjust as needed based on the angle and walk your shots in based on where you see them impact.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Install some way to monitor your framerate, possibly turn your mouse sensitivity down. Tribes is super twitchy, but in this having a lower sensitivity is an advantage once you get used to it. If your framerate is low or inconsistent, it's harder to aim.

Also you probably just need a shitload of practice if you haven't played an FPS in 20 years. I had a hard time hitting people starting out and I've been playing FPSes pretty consistently for a long time.

I hate how this is always the default goon advice, but drop school a bunch until you get used to aiming. And once you're out in the rest of the map in the middle game, using a red dot at closer ranges helps. I'm sure good players hit fine with 4x scopes in closer, but it always throws me off.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Essential posted:

I decided to give this game a shot and looking for advice for a competitive FPS noob. I haven't played a computer FPS since Tribes 1 like 20 years ago. I had 1 decent match where I got 3 kills and 6th place, but otherwise this has been a disaster. I can make it to top 10 virtually everytime if I do no fighting, but I seem to lose every fight. I am using a decent laptop (i7, 16gigs, Geforce GTX 970m 4gigs), I have a really cheap amazon wireless mouse and using my wifi (which is really super fast).

For instance, I had a early fight where I shot a guy 3 times with a pistol and he punched me to death. I was moving as much as I could and missed at least 4 shots as he was jumping around. I know one of the shots hit him in the right shoulder, but otherwise not quite sure. I had another fight where I unloaded full auto from an AK and I swear I was shooting shoulders/head and he was able to kill me with 1 shot. Another time I had the drop on someone, their back was too me. I unloaded with an uzi from maybe 20 feet, full clip (I'm sure only half or less hit him) and he was able to turn around and kill me in 2 hits.

How do you guys learn how much to lead people? How much bullets drop? When I watch streamers it seems like a lot of the time they are aiming directly at the person, but I've had a few times I've missed someone just standing still. I don't know if I shot over them or under, but I had my crosshairs right on their head.

Do I need to really be sure on trying to headshot people? Is it possible they have armor and I'm mostly hitting that? Bottom line, I know I'm pretty bad but really want to try and get better. Would a "gaming" mouse help? Wired connection instead of wifi? I did have one really awesome kill from 90 meters on a guy who just got into his vehicle. 2 bursts from my gun and he was dead as I was crawling thru a field.

One thing that’s helped me, I think every scope has zeroing capability, and if you set it right, you don’t need to account for bullet drop. It goes in increments of 100m. On your mini map, each grid square is 100m x 100m. Set your scope accordingly. So if you are aiming at a house 3 grid squares away from you, set your scope to 300m and aim right at them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
ALso you're not a streamer, don't full auto people unless they're stupidly close to you. Single fire anyone more than 10 meters from you. Learn to click really fuckin fast.

Your sensitivity is probably also way too high.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Thanks for all the advice guys, this is great information ! I do have my sensitivity set way high, I'll turn that down. I'll try everything else as well. Really appreciate the help!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ALso you're not a streamer, don't full auto people unless they're stupidly close to you. Single fire anyone more than 10 meters from you. Learn to click really fuckin fast.

Your sensitivity is probably also way too high.

Caveat: full auto with the SMGs. Especially the UMP, you can land full auto on people with the UMP from 50+ meters out. On the other hand, accuracy on the other SMGs sucks, so don’t bother using them past 15-20 meters.

Aside from that, I almost never use full auto unless like he said, 10 meters or so. Actually, I’m so out of the habit of using auto that half the time I just end up rapidly clicking anyway and screw myself.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Advice from someone that recently made the jump from bad to average with the help of practice, this thread, and goon discord. Jumping school is great for a small time, but you will plateau quickly. Jump pochinki or whichever city the plane goes over. If you have a high end system with great FPS a shotgun is great, but if you are bad or have a low end system an auto gun is probably better. Shotguns are all you need to assault people as soon as you land, because people are less likely to have good armor. Starting out when you are trying to get better you should only use auto for close quarter combat. Single tap everything else to concentrate on aiming properly and practice gaining fire speed while maintaining aim. You should be focusing on where you aim even when using auto and this will help you get to that point.

2 ARs is a great combo if you don’t have a sniper rifle. No good reason to run ump over a second AR.
If you are bad with a gun that is in the meta, the only way to get better is to practice using it. If you want to get better at any particular action, then practice doing it. That sounds obvious, but my real life friends counter being bad at something by avoiding it. That’s bad.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm gonna change all footstep sounds to "EY IM WALKIN HEEAH" ban be damned

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
If you're low on ammo/attachments, a kitted ump is way more useful than a second AR imo

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Premature posted:

If you're low on ammo/attachments, a kitted ump is way more useful than a second AR imo

Ammo is why I’ll run .556/.762. I’d much rather have an akm than an ump.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How many melee hits does it take to kill with fists? With a machete or weapon?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jastiger posted:

How many melee hits does it take to kill with fists? With a machete or weapon?

3-4 hits with melee weapons and a ton with fists, except if you can score jumping headshots which do like 80%. Honestly the melee in this game is really weird and janky. It's only worth attempting if you're in a do or die situation and even then it devolves into jumping in place hoping you score a headshot with the weird rear end melee hitboxes.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

seconding melee being a janky mess. I was once trying to machete a guy to death, Congolese style, and on my screen, the machete was passing through his body but I wasn't damaging him. My friend recorded it because the fight ended up with me getting jump punched and him getting sliced and both of us dying, and from my friend's POV, my machete was nowhere near close.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If you can get a headshot with a melee weapon and they don't have a helmet, it is a one-hit kill.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ah. Sounds like just janky hit detection.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It always makes me sad that US servers seem to have a lot more mic users and mic banter in general. EU servers are a desolate wasteland, and people who have mics are almost always eastern european or don't speak english.

all the PUBG clips I see from US servers have people joking with each other on VOIP, or one person threatening another and the one being threatened coming back with a quip. that would make PUBG so much more fun, it adds like a whole new aspect to the game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ive never heard voice outside of the plane. Dunno why.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

Ammo is why I’ll run .556/.762. I’d much rather have an akm than an ump.

9mm is everywhere, though. That's a big advantage. Especially useful in a squad game where you're having to split up 5.56 and 7.62 between everyone. It also has pretty much zero recoil when kitted out, so that could be a preference choice.

Personally I find it a really good choice if you find a suppressor for SMGs. Best range and accuracy, good recoil.

Micro-uzi has great DPS, so it's fantastic at very close ranges. Emphasis on very. Vector should be good at that too, but the magazine is too small even with an extended mag for my tastes. Thompson is too goddamn inaccurate.

Related tip for the new guy: people can still hear your shots with suppressors, but it's really hard to tell where they're coming from. They also hide the muzzle flash well so it's hard to spot where they're coming from.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You can talk about ideal loudouts all day, but if you don't find your silenced M16 with 8x scope or don't have enough ammo for your squad, you're gonna have to learn to use everything.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I swore by the suppressed UMP with a 4x for the longest time, but god drat does it take a lot of bullets at medium range to put someone down. When you've got a brief window in which to take shots and kill someone, the UMP sucks major dick at that. I can ping 6 shots at a fairly hefty range and still have someone moving about.

AKM, it's a left-right goodnight situation, takes 3 or 4 bullets.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

You can talk about ideal loudouts all day, but if you don't find your silenced M16 with 8x scope or don't have enough ammo for your squad, you're gonna have to learn to use everything.

I'm glad to get validation that I'm not pulling that stuff out of my mediocre-at-best rear end.

Seriously, what's the general meaning of the ranking numbers? I know some of it depends on how much you play since you can only gain or lose so many points per game, but does 1400-1500 put me in average or trash range?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is right. You should learn to use everything. My point is if you have a choice, I’d take a second AR over an ump.

Chicken is a good food to eat for dinner if you don’t have steak. Well no poo poo.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Jastiger posted:

Ive never heard voice outside of the plane. Dunno why.

Sometimes they're shy and you have to be the one to open a dialogue, much like in real life.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Fauxshiz posted:

Sometimes they're shy and you have to be the one to open a dialogue, much like in real life.

Housekeeping!!!!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm glad to get validation that I'm not pulling that stuff out of my mediocre-at-best rear end.

Seriously, what's the general meaning of the ranking numbers? I know some of it depends on how much you play since you can only gain or lose so many points per game, but does 1400-1500 put me in average or trash range?

With month long seasons, its impossible to tell. You can also be a garbage player and get in the top few % by proning in a bathtub every game

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why even look at your Rating when you can easily see your Ranking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Little makes you feel like quite the master trapper then just dropping a firstaid kit in the middle of a house and then sitting in a corner until someone comes around.

• Locked thread