Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
You can look into the 3M 3200 series half masks, as the replacement 3701 filters are only $6 for a pack of 10 (from aliexpress). From what I can tell they're only sold in lower income countries (i.e. China).

I use them for light duty stuff, and they seem to work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ridgid is also TTI not Emerson

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

I saw this on reddit and found it somewhat interesting.

Makita supremacy

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Need to buy a hard hat for work so I don't have to keep borrowing other people's. Price doesn't matter.

Any recommendations for a comfortable brand or model? Bonus points if it has better-than-average looks.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Hackjack posted:

Need to buy a hard hat for work so I don't have to keep borrowing other people's. Price doesn't matter.

Any recommendations for a comfortable brand or model? Bonus points if it has better-than-average looks.

The MSA brand ones are the most comfortable and best looking IMO. Full brim is a pain if you work in tight quarters a lot, so just stick with the standard front brim.

Also, OSHA requires your employer to provide and pay for your PPE, so if your job falls under OSHAs jurisdiction, make the boss buy it.

iForge fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 17, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hackjack posted:

Have you tried one of our Titanium mesh fedoras, Goonsire? As a bonus feature, it deflects not only steel beams, but invasive thought-reader beams from *certain acroynmic agencies* :tinfoil:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

rawrr posted:

You can look into the 3M 3200 series half masks, as the replacement 3701 filters are only $6 for a pack of 10 (from aliexpress). From what I can tell they're only sold in lower income countries (i.e. China).

I use them for light duty stuff, and they seem to work fine.

aliexpress has the ones I need for $3.50 per pair. So much better than $15 per.
Thanks!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Please don't buy life critical products from aliexpress.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hackjack posted:

I got one of these recently for doing a bunch of tree pruning on my property.
https://www.amazon.com/Pyramex-Safety-HP44110V-Ridgeline-4-Point/dp/B00MGMWOY0

There's a ton of color options, I got white. It fits comfortably, the twist knob adjustment works well. I'm happy with it.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Decent looking deals on some Wen tools at Home Depot today. Especially the oscillating spindle/belt sander. http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay?AID=11210757&PID=4150373&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4150373-_-11210757&cj=true

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Please don't buy life critical products from aliexpress.

"Filter"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on what you expect it to filter out.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Like for coffee, right?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Why is it so hard to believe that 3M sells the same product for cheaper in countries that have lower wages? How much do you think filters really cost to make?

By all means, pay more for your own peace of mind, but it's dumb to treat China as a giant factory that only makes lovely stuff when it's a country with different manufacturers that each have their own standards for quality.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're taking a bit of a leap from "don't buy from a vendor where you have little reason to believe the product is legitimate" to "don't buy from China". I don't see what's wrong with wanting to buy from a verifiable vendor (which Amazon wouldn't count as, thanks to their inventory mixing)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

rawrr posted:

Why is it so hard to believe that 3M sells the same product for cheaper in countries that have lower wages? How much do you think filters really cost to make?

By all means, pay more for your own peace of mind, but it's dumb to treat China as a giant factory that only makes lovely stuff when it's a country with different manufacturers that each have their own standards for quality.

I'm not treating "China" like that. I'm treating AliExpress like that. You're the one that made that equivalency.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Okay, so replace what I said about China and giant factory with Aliexpress and giant vendor; aliexpress is a marketplace.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rawrr posted:

Okay, so replace what I said about China and giant factory with Aliexpress and giant vendor; aliexpress is a marketplace.

And I don’t know or trust any of the vendors on that marketplace.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

100% of the name brand stuff on AliExpress is counterfeit. If you want to buy knockoff yeezys, go for it, but I guarantee you those 3m filters have not been tested to perform at the stated level.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

iForge posted:

The MSA brand ones are the most comfortable and best looking IMO. Full brim is a pain if you work in tight quarters a lot, so just stick with the standard front brim.

Also, OSHA requires your employer to provide and pay for your PPE, so if your job falls under OSHAs jurisdiction, make the boss buy it.

Cool, I'll check out MSA and Pyramex. Thanks for the recommendation!

Of I will be expensing it. =)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I dont oppose buying the china fluke multimeter, but buying a 3M filter that *could* be genuine is not something I'd bet my respiratory system on.
There is nothing wrong with chinese products, but without QA and/or some way to verify a product is real...
I bought Xiaomi headphones several times, all of them were "100% real genuine", one pair was the shittiest knockoff ever. The others are great, but there was no way to know beforehand. Verifying a health and safety product to be real is a lot harder.

Would you buy sterile chinese first aid supplies?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

I dont oppose buying the china fluke multimeter, but buying a 3M filter that *could* be genuine is not something I'd bet my respiratory system on.
There is nothing wrong with chinese products, but without QA and/or some way to verify a product is real...
I bought Xiaomi headphones several times, all of them were "100% real genuine", one pair was the shittiest knockoff ever. The others are great, but there was no way to know beforehand. Verifying a health and safety product to be real is a lot harder.

I would, but then again, I'm the guy that shoots superglue in a cut and then wraps in in duct tape to get through the day.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

SEKCobra posted:

Funny you should mention that.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/counterfeit-tourniquets-could-cause-catastrophic-consequences/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I dont oppose buying the china fluke multimeter,

If you do, don't stick it in the wall socket.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Any recommendations for a lunch box planer that aren't the dewalt 375? Its out of my budget range of under $400.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Sagebrush posted:

If you do, don't stick it in the wall socket.

The guts of my chinese domestic market fluke meter that I bought after AvE tore it down is indistinguishable in design and quality to my genuine fluke 87. Its a few ohms off on the high end of the scale, but not too far off. I have no issues or fears using it on 480v equipment. Same process would be used for any safety device, inspect and test before use.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

iForge posted:

The guts of my chinese domestic market fluke meter that I bought after AvE tore it down is indistinguishable in design and quality to my genuine fluke 87. Its a few ohms off on the high end of the scale, but not too far off. I have no issues or fears using it on 480v equipment. Same process would be used for any safety device, inspect and test before use.

Only issue is the fuses can be counterfeit. A fuse with the proper insulating fill and filament size is indistinguishable from a fuse full of sand and a chunk of 14 ga copper wire. One makes a loud pop, the other tears your hand off after the fault current kersplodes the whole meter.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
But the chinese fluke is genuine so...?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Exactly. It is a genuine Fluke. Don't know what Methwhatever is on up there.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Mr. Mambold posted:

I saw this on reddit and found it somewhat interesting.

I knew a lot of these but I assumed Rockwell was a SB&D company... that mini 4-1/2" circular saw Porter-Cable has now looks exactly like the Rockwell one that's I've seen for way longer. That little thing is awesome too. If it was cordless 20V it'd blow my mind. I just don't want to carry a big honking tool around if I want to make a few cuts in anything less than a 2x.

I also love Rockwell's jaw stand and was so pissed they discontinued the benchtop version.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You could replace the fuses if you are worried, anyway. I wouldn't be worried about Chinese market Flukes, but I would be worried that I'd end up buying a Fluke knockoff that my untrained eye couldn't tell apart from the real thing. I guess in the end it just takes a little research, I'm sure someone has put together an photo ID guide like there are guides to identifying fake pens, fake glasses, fake shoes, etc.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Exactly. It is a genuine Fluke. Don't know what Methwhatever is on up there.

I was mostly getting at that the little fuse is the most important safety factor in plugging one of those into a 480v source. Buying peace of mind for $8 or whatever they cost to replace would make sense to me. I've read reports on too many dead electricians who trusted the '600v' rated sticker on a cheapo multimeter to not verify things.

That said, those things are a killer deal, now that my 189 refuses to work anymore, I'll probably buy one for myself.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

xwing posted:

I knew a lot of these but I assumed Rockwell was a SB&D company... that mini 4-1/2" circular saw Porter-Cable has now looks exactly like the Rockwell one that's I've seen for way longer. That little thing is awesome too. If it was cordless 20V it'd blow my mind. I just don't want to carry a big honking tool around if I want to make a few cuts in anything less than a 2x.

I also love Rockwell's jaw stand and was so pissed they discontinued the benchtop version.

Rockwell split their tools off decades ago into Porter-Cable and Delta like 30 odd years ago. You knew that, right? So the Porter-Cable designs and patents were all Rockwell branded back in the day. Or am I talking about something else?

IGotNothing
Jul 21, 2004
1 + 1 = 3 (for large values of 1)
In regards to Ridgid, I believe the powers tools are built by TTI and the named is licensed out (AEG tools have the same colour scheme). They are also only sold at Home Depot (at least in Canada). The rest of the tools are built and owned by Emerson (and are sold all over).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Rockwell still makes tools. They are crazy sponsoring YouTubers rn.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

I may have been drunk when I placed this oder at Countycomm, but surprise in the mailbox today!

From top, is a keyring-size knife sharpener, bonus free dildo (the blank for a 2L soda bottle) in which was packed the pen screwdriver (take off the caps, it has teensy and minute driver bits, Phillips on the far end, slot on the clip end), and a breacher bar. Hard to explain, that one. All-purpose knife/hand axe/prybar/chisel/spearhead/brick of steel?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xwing posted:

Kobalt isn't quite right either. They were Danaher when they first came out - there's also an unconfirmed rumor some of the supply was Snap On. Now it's some company I've never heard of. (JG? JS?)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rockwell still makes tools. They are crazy sponsoring YouTubers rn.

That's cool, I couldn't recall. I hope they're as good as they used to make them. I've got a few 30+ year old ones. I saw an old Stanley router with the door planer kit attachment and got a bit teary-eyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2dJLDxoTIY