Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
women who draw titties... don't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Droyer posted:

Nice selfie

Reported for racism

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

also several things that don't remind you that sex exists, but features girls that have personalities. as we all know, personalities are extremely sexist. all women are 80 year old grannies who go 'my word' when they see a female character existing

There is nothing, after all, more sexist than a fictional girl who is drawn to be cute

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't believe droyer's favorite gundam is tequila gundam

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Are dogs moe?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dog moe-ness is proportional to the size of the dog.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cats have a monopoly on moe, and to say otherwise is heresy!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pyf moe blobs

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Brian is moe

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

chumbler posted:

Shouldn't she be able to just open up a gap on the other side of the fence?

Where's the fun in that?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dogs are the most moe

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Simulacra posted:

Brian is moe

Yeah definitely

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

chumbler posted:

Dog moe-ness is proportional to the size of the dog.

Big dog -> more moe

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Eela6 posted:

Big dog -> more moe

keep your PAWS off my manga

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what did gaara do

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

touhou is incredibly popular with women and has been a gateway for a ton of female mangaka that got their starts making touhou doujins, and more than that the touhou doujin scene itself is alive with depictions of lesbian romance written by actual lesbian women. more than that, the characters in touhou are literally never sexualized in canon (can you imagine, with that art), have offputting or bizarre personalities, and zun seemingly goes out of his way to hire mostly women artists for the manga and novels and stuff.

Endorph posted:

I think maybe the real sexism isn't 'oh no, some shows have cute girls in them,' but when guys run around shouting over women, women creators, and what women enjoy to talk about how Woke they are, how much women are hurt by these things that they actually like or contribute to the creation of. There are discussions to be had about things like using cute female characters as marketing, how seemingly every japanese store or website has a doodle of a cute girl, but starting out with 'these things that thousands of women find deeply important to them and had tons of female voices involved in their creation are actually sexist' is not only stupid, it's incredibly sexist and reductive. Men don't need to run around shouting down women in order to protect women. Frankly, men don't need to have opinions on objectification of women.

Statements like 'textbook fetishes,' 'way more successful than they have any right to be' - about a show made almost exclusively by women with a huge female fanbase - is some of the most sexist poo poo I've ever read. I'd like to ask that you not only gently caress off, but that you never talk about anything like this, ever again.

Endorph posted:

k-on was directed by a woman, written by a woman, animated by a staff of mostly women, explicitly explored feelings that the creators felt when they were high school girls, and was so popular with real life high school girls that it inspired fashion trends

You're right. I apologize.

I didn't know that was the reason K-On! was as popular as it was. So, I admit was was apparently talking out of my rear end. I got through about five episodes of it before dropping it because it wasn't for me. And then I saw it explode without understanding why and assumed it was the same reason Kancolle and the like are popular. I'll go back and give it another shot with a better perspective on things.

I :toxx: myself on ever bringing up the moe argument again.

Truce? :)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that doesn't mean you have to force yourself to like k-on

although k-on is real good

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Simulacra posted:

Brian is moe

I am NOT moe!!!!!!!!!!!!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dogsicle posted:

what did gaara do

Well he did kind of brutally murder a lot of people.

I'd dispute 8man and Watamote girl being that high up, though. They're not exactly good people, but they're not monsters like Umaru. Also Kumamiko girl is way too low on the suffering scale.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 21, 2017

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

my buddy Superfly posted:

I am NOT moe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too bad I have decreed it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

I am NOT moe!!!!!!!!!!!!

smh at these lies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

You're right. I apologize.

I didn't know that was the reason K-On! was as popular as it was. So, I admit was was apparently talking out of my rear end. I got through about five episodes of it before dropping it because it wasn't for me. And then I saw it explode without understanding why and assumed it was the same reason Kancolle and the like are popular. I'll go back and give it another shot with a better perspective on things.

I :toxx: myself on ever bringing up the moe argument again.

Truce? :)
i mean this isn't about k-on specifically, more a specific toxic attitude. liking or disliking k-on isnt the point.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Simulacra posted:

Too bad I have decreed it

I'll kick your rear end for setting me with the moe curse!

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

I'll kick your rear end for setting me with the moe curse!

Let's settle this on top of a volcano loser gets thrown in

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Simulacra posted:

Let's settle this on top of a volcano loser gets thrown in

People who get thrown into volcanos are very moe

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Endorph as a mega Symphogear fan how do you feel about the gross poo poo in there

The main things that come to mind are the weird naked Electro torture scene in S1 and the x-drive boob press during the end of season 3.

That sort of stuff is a real downer for me and makes Symphogear hard to recommend to a general audience, even of casual anime fans.

(I'm not saying this has anything to do with 'Moe', I'm just curious to hear your take.)

Ed: to be more clear, what I mean is 'how does it reflect on the show as a whole', not 'is this bad or good'

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 21, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Subaru seems kind of high on the deserve axis here. I'd put him closer to Okabe- certainly not ahead of Char of all people.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

looks like you made a mistake, let me fix that for you

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

I'm gonna pour salt on snail

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Endorph as a mega Symphogear fan how do you feel about the gross poo poo in there

The main things that come to mind are the weird naked Electro torture scene in S1 and the x-drive boob press during the end of season 3.

That sort of stuff is a real downer for me and makes Symphogear hard to recommend to a general audience, even of casual anime fans.

(I'm not saying this has anything to do with 'Moe', I'm just curious to hear your take.)
The Fine stuff in S1 is dumb and bad - not really because its fanservice, but because its just tone-killing, weird, and kinda ruins Fine's later characterization. They did really move away from that stuff later, minus a few blips. The sexual abuse in Saint-Germain's backstory, and the references to Chris's backstory outside of that scene, are handled a lot more tastefully. S1 in general just has kind of a weird tone, and its bizarre attempts at fanservice are a big part of that. See also Fine spending 80% of the show naked.

I don't really mind the boob press. It's just a goofy boob gag, the finale of S3 is a big dumb action scene so it doesnt really kill the mood. I can see disliking it, but I don't have any kind of moral problem with it. IMO the bigger problem is Chris's dumb armor purge at the end of Season 2, since she's just naked for literally no reason in the middle of a big action setpiece, and it leads to lots of weird cuts to keep from actually showing anything. Fortunately they kinda walked back one back too, since hibiki uses that exact same power at the end of AXZ and she just gets brought back to her casual clothes.

Besides those two scenes, none of the fanservice in Symphogear really bothers me. It's not that heavy past Season 1 and a couple of scenes in S2, and most of it's in places that don't really ruin anything.

edit: in terms of how it reflects on the show, well, Symphogear was always a dumb magical girl/toku mishmash made to sell CDs to otaku. It has some female fanbase (according to a friend, the live was something like 70/30 male/female), and there are a few female staff members, but the closest thing to a woman actually being involved in the writing is Nana Mizuki's conceptual suggestions. So it just kind of reflects in the show in terms of things like that. Not that a female-led show wouldn't have dumb fanservice, but it'd be executed differently, probably. Especially, again, with the season 1 stuff. I think outside of that early stuff it never really gets egregious - way worse stuff than boobpresses happen in your average shonen series - but those couple of fine scenes are a pretty big thing you have to make people aware of, yeah.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 21, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

i never finished kon

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

gay for archer

haha same

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I like how Yuno is too wide for one square

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

Tell who is the most GAR CHARACTER to everyone and why! GAR definition: A term used towards male characters and individuals who are so overwhelmingly manly that your own masculinity is absolutely *buried*, leaving you naught but a whimpering, swooning girl-child before them.Jul 27, 2011

I too love the works of Gengoroh Tagame

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Thanks for your reply Endorph!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Thanks for your reply Endorph!
np. good av.