Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

I will figure out a way (or have someone else figure out a way) for this to make it into the OP. This I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Now that I'm getting in to late-game stuff and understanding how builds/gear works, a lot of the gear really frustrates me. Most end-game legendaries seem to be designed for specific builds or skills (and it's cool that there are a ton of them for all kinds of different builds) but they're all themed really hard around that skill and emphasize its strengths instead of being well-balanced pieces of gear. So you have stuff like - if you need a bunch of fire resist and want it on a ring, it has to come from a fire-damage caster-based ring. If you need big chunks of health it's only going to come from melee-oriented physical damage Soldier-themed gear. Something with +Elemental Damage is probably going to have Inquisitor skills on it, +Fire damage is probably going to have Demo skills on it, etc.

Is it just expected that I have a lot of "wasted" stats that don't apply to me if I want to balance out my resists and get some health?

I agree that most legendaries in this game are usually powerful in their own right, but you'd be surprised the amount of blues or greens that can actually perform better. For example, here's my current HC ultimate character: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZrGP5ON I can literally sleepwalk through most content with it.

Although with some sets you're shoehorned into a specific build to a certain extent, it's really not that bad. Even with sets seemingly designed for a skill or set of skills, you can usually fit them in several different builds or use them quite effectively in ways they may not be intended for. For example, look in the OP for the phys tank build that utilizes Elemental Balance rings. In the expansion, they've also expanded build diversity with adding additional class skills to items, damage conversion to many pieces, etc.

In other words, it's better than you think. Get creative!

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 21, 2017

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Is there any way to reliably get the Mistborn Talisman? Grinding it to get my Relic is annoying as hell. I know you can kill the two troll kings (Smugglers Pass and East Marsh) for a shot at it but quitting and reloading them over and over again is a hassle to say the least...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

Is there any way to reliably get the Mistborn Talisman? Grinding it to get my Relic is annoying as hell. I know you can kill the two troll kings (Smugglers Pass and East Marsh) for a shot at it but quitting and reloading them over and over again is a hassle to say the least...

Aside from trading in multiplayer or cheating the recipe in, that's probably your best bet. If it helps, it sure seems like drop rates for rare stuff have gotten a lot better since the expansion.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Speaking of the east marsh troll king, I always take him on far too early and its bullshit that he doesn't have a grand chest for the effort

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Is there any increase in drop rate if, say, I'm doing Smuggler's Pass in Expert vs. Veteran for something as low-level as Mistborn? Some part of me almost thinks having higher loot available at Expert might decrease the recipe drop.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you need big chunks of health it's only going to come from melee-oriented physical damage Soldier-themed gear.

This is what's really killing the game for me. I usually play elemental melee builds and it's almost impossible to get the defensive stats you need if you're not doing physical or trauma damage.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

My buddy and I tried to Hidden Path last night on Elite for the first time and we got wrecked pretty hard. Ended up killing him by ping-ponging aggro which allowed me to set up a bunch of rune traps when it was my friend's turn to run away.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Jabarto posted:

This is what's really killing the game for me. I usually play elemental melee builds and it's almost impossible to get the defensive stats you need if you're not doing physical or trauma damage.

That's why the Arcanist has Mirror of Ereoctes and Maiven's Sphere of Protection. Every Arcanist, no matter the build, should have at least 1 point in MoE. It's too good not to.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Memnaelar posted:

There's a hidden vendor who sells the weapons needed for talismans. From the blood grove portal, head left across the bridge and then go south a little bit and there's a hidden path through some vegetation that leads down to the river, then go north up the river until you reach an island.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

lazorexplosion posted:

There's a hidden vendor who sells the weapons needed for talismans. From the blood grove portal, head left across the bridge and then go south a little bit and there's a hidden path through some vegetation that leads down to the river, then go north up the river until you reach an island.

Sweet. I’m going to check that out because I need a drat troll club, too. If yer blowin smoke, imma have my uncle from Nintendo beat your dad up.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I'm streaming again. Feel free to pop in and ask questions, etc.

https://www.twitch.tv/dahbadu

We'll do some of the "roguelike" dungeons tonight.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Just want to say thanks for the Soldier/Demo build in the OP.

I beat Normal mode a long time ago and struggled through Elite as before putting the game down with that combo. Haven't bought the expansion, but wanted to play some more and changing up my build to the one in OP is letting me cruise through Elite now.

The poison tank build is really fun too especially when I watch Bloody Pox spread and kill a whole group.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

soscannonballs posted:

My buddy and I tried to Hidden Path last night on Elite for the first time and we got wrecked pretty hard. Ended up killing him by ping-ponging aggro which allowed me to set up a bunch of rune traps when it was my friend's turn to run away.

If you mean the sentinel there's a spot in his arena where he'll run away back to his spawn

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

How hard/costly is it to respec in this game, and what can I respec? I'm doing a pyromancer right now but I also want to try that soldier/demo build but I'm not sure if I'll have to roll a new character to do it.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Axetrain posted:

How hard/costly is it to respec in this game, and what can I respec? I'm doing a pyromancer right now but I also want to try that soldier/demo build but I'm not sure if I'll have to roll a new character to do it.

You'll have to, can't respec class choice or base class points (the bottom bar) (unless the xpac added a way to do so, but I don't believe so).

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Lprsti99 posted:

You'll have to, can't respec class choice or base class points (the bottom bar) (unless the xpac added a way to do so, but I don't believe so).

You can just edit your character to do it: GD Defiler allows you to remove masteries and add new ones. You can even keep skills from old masteries if you want.

All characters are client-side, and there's absolutely 0 consequences for editing your character this way.

e: (Unless you're using Steam Cloud Saves, in which case I think you have to turn them off, edit your character, load/save the game, and then re-enable them? I'm not 100% but I recall the Steam Cloud Save taking priority over my edited save when I launched the game and the two files were different.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 22, 2017

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Are you supposed to be at 53/55 shrines at the end of elite? I can't figure out what shrines I'm missing even when looking at all the lists out there.

edit: oh maybe it is just 53 now

edit: ohh 55 is the max you can get

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 22, 2017

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

On my current character I've been using the DEE build from the OP (http://www.grimtools.com/calc/D2pwmjNq) and with the devotion point allocation in it, it doesn't seem to give you enough green affinity to start speccing into Wendigo, I had to complete the Rat constellation or something which wasn't in the build to be able to continue with grabbing the specified constellations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Constellations can support themselves once you've got the completion bonus. You might need the few extra points from the rat one to get it but later respec out of it when you find yourself however many points over what you actually need.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Oh ok, I had a look at it was actually blue affinity that was an issue, and I had to complete Lizard to get enough.

Is that respeccing done at the spirit guide in Devil's Crossing?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nova88 posted:

Oh ok, I had a look at it was actually blue affinity that was an issue, and I had to complete Lizard to get enough.

Is that respeccing done at the spirit guide in Devil's Crossing?

Yes

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are the Crucible and Expansion worth getting if I haven't already made it to the end game?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The expansion is almost certainly worth it if you like the game. I've only played through it on Veteran, but aside from the new classes, the content it adds is nicely done, with some tense and fun fights that don't feel bullshit.

The crucible is more up to you. I think it's probably only worth it if you're really interested in taking characters into end game. It's useful to get a faster start, especially with devotion points, on a new character, and it's good to test your build to its' furthest limit (though it strongly favors defense, apparently. I've never actually taken a build all the way through it).

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Nova88 posted:

On my current character I've been using the DEE build from the OP (http://www.grimtools.com/calc/D2pwmjNq) and with the devotion point allocation in it, it doesn't seem to give you enough green affinity to start speccing into Wendigo, I had to complete the Rat constellation or something which wasn't in the build to be able to continue with grabbing the specified constellations.

It seems that new people that are coming into the thread are gravitating towards this build, which is a good thing -- because a) it shows they have good instincts, b) it's probably the strongest starter build currently in the OP, and c) is ready made for the 5 extra devotion points from the expansion.

Just in case anyone is wondering, here's the updated version of it:

quote:

Evil Eye Caster Hybrid Tank

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2MAqp02
Updated for Ashes of Malmouth

Notes:
- Good starter build, as it doesn't require any special component or gear, but once you collect the Dreeg set and other items it can really shine.
- Evil Eye is your left-click attack, and due to its great proccing mechanics, Twing Fangs procs almost every cast.
- For tankyness, the build relies on Twing Fangs (devotion), Wendigo's Mark (devotion), Sigil of Consumption (spell and ring procs) and strong block mechanics. Use Menhir's Bastion (relic) for extended periods of tankyness.
- Has various resistance-shredding mechanics.
- Spell-based lifesteal, so you can lifesteal from bosses.
- Tested to solo Gladiator Crucible.

What does this build do?
- Facetank everything. Block just about everything. You are a "frail" caster... that somehow cannot be killed. Tag stuff with Bloody Pox (another amazing skill for proccing) to keep Wendigo's Mark up for massive lifesteal. Charge into a group of enemies (proccing Tainted Eruption), War Cry (which will make you super tanky), drop a Sigil for more life leech (and procs), spam Evil Eyes (proccing Twin Fang, for even more life leech) and win at video games!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is there a way to transfer iron bits to a new character that i am not seeing

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Awesome! posted:

is there a way to transfer iron bits to a new character that i am not seeing

Throw them a pile of high level vendor trash items to sell.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Offline version of Grimtools:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56345&p=556391

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

We're streaming again, in case anyone is interested. Going to run through the Stormheart / Clone of John Bourban (sp?) quest.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

Infernal Knight Vitality Caster

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/L2JkP0Vp

Notes:
- Good starter build, as it doesn't require any component or special gear, but once you collect the Infernal Knight set and other items it can really shine.
- Your left-click is Blackwater "Molotov" Cocktail (skill) tied to Flame Torrent (devotion).
- When leveling, you may want to max out Sigil of Consumption until you can collect your gear. Once you're geared up, you can transition away from investing in SoC and put those points into Hellfire Mines.
- If you wanna go glass cannon mode, you can wear 2x Entropic Coils (ring), which will put your DPS on steroids. But I find pairing a Signet of the Damned with an Entropic Coil a nice middle ground of damage and tankyness.
- For tankyness, the build relies on Sigil of Consumption (skill), a Sigil proc (from ring), Twing Fangs (devotion), Wendigo's Mark (devotion), and Blast Shield (skill).
- Has various resistance-shredding mechanics.
- Spell-based lifesteal, so you can lifesteal from bosses.

What does this build do?
- You are an unholy knight that throws Molotov cocktails and blows up the screen in fiery destruction. Usually Infernal Knights are glass cannons, but by incorporating vitality damage and lifesteal into the build, you can basically facetank anything.

How Should I be leveling this build, all Demo first? I'm level 40 now and have only a couple points in Occultist. What weapons should I be using and what sort of modifiers should I prioritize in general?

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Jabarto posted:

Edit: This isn't right, read the thing The Mash posted below. I guess it gets to the "complicated and obfuscated" bit, though!

I can't remember the specifics the post about elemental conversion, but the TL;DR of it was that all that +phys/trauma gear gets factored into your damage and then converted to whatever spread of elemental damage types you have based on the amount of "X% converted to Y-element" gear you have. So if you have 50% lightning, 50% elemental conversion, you'll get half your total damage converted to lightning, then the other half broken into thirds between lightning, cold, and fire.

It's hella complicated and obfuscated, like most of GD's other mechanics, but those sorts of conversion builds get really stupid-powerful really quick.

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 23, 2017

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I'm not sure that's completely correct.

There's two types of conversion: Skill-specific and everything else.
(http://www.grimdawn.com/guide/gameplay/combat.php#q20)

quote:

The order of events for Conversion is as follows: Base Skill > Skill Modifiers > Conversion on the Skill or Transmuter > Conversion on Equipment and Buffs > Equipment, Auras and Passives

This means that any gear with +% physical damage will not be applied to a skill that is converted to elemental, whereas +% elemental damage gear will.

However, flat damage gear will be converted and multiplied (if the ability has a weapon damage ratio, otherwise it doesn't even apply flat damage from gear/devotions in the first place)

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Awesome, thanks for the correction on that.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Sure.

To me, the strongest usage of this is with piercing damage. The "x% Armor Piercing" listed on many weapons is actually just "x% Physical damage converted to Pierce damage" in a different format, and "Increases Armor Piercing by x%" is just a multiplier of the weapon's original piercing conversion value.

This means that before the expansion, it was possible to get 100% Armor Piercing by running two Dermapteran Slicers (50% Armor Piercing) and having the Blades of Nadaan devotion (Increases Armor Piercing by 100%). You can also use a Blessed Whetstone for IAP 50%, though I think that only applies to the chosen weapon. Now, since AoM, it's even easier, because the Belgothian Set comes with a 50% increase to Armor Piercing also. With the Belgothian set and Blades of Nadaan, a sword only needs 40% base Armor Piercing to reach 100% physical->pierce damage conversion.

What this actually means is that if you manage to hit 100% Armor Piercing on both your weapons (or close to, at least), ALL flat physical damage you get from any source, including items, devotions and skills, will be converted to pierce damage and then multiplied by your presumably huge pierce damage values.

The upside of this is that it allows you to scale well with many Soldier/Nightblade items that typically have flat physical damage and %physical and pierce damage, such as the Belgothian set itself or Reforged Chains of Oleron.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
...so I finished the expansion on Veteran for the first time and I have some story/quest-related inquiries that are hopefully relatively spoiler-free:

1) Do the factions feel slightly underbaked? I guess they're about as deep as the other factions in the main game, but I was expecting a few more side quests from their areas. Perhaps they'll open up more once I get to the highest levels with both, but I did feel like the Coven and Barrowholm had a lot of potential that only was somewhat realized.

2) Similarly, the mention of Ulgrim being "special" isn't really followed up on. Maybe it's because he's going to be our TES: Oblivion Sean Bean down the line, but I thought it was strange that Creed really hints at him being a bigger deal but the expansion never picks back up on that after that mention. Did I miss something more?

3) Has Crate hinted yet that they've another expansion in the pipe? I had thought this might be the end of Grim Dawn, generally speaking, but both game and expansion seem to have been hinting through the various faction quests at Something Bigger down the line and it doesn't feel like the GD story is done yet to move on to, say, a GD2.

I wish the expansion had a few more dungeons in it, but overall, it's fantastic. Definitely worthwhile and it just continues to make this, by far, the best Kickstarter money I've ever spent.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

The Mash posted:

Sure.

To me, the strongest usage of this is with piercing damage. The "x% Armor Piercing" listed on many weapons is actually just "x% Physical damage converted to Pierce damage" in a different format, and "Increases Armor Piercing by x%" is just a multiplier of the weapon's original piercing conversion value.

This means that before the expansion, it was possible to get 100% Armor Piercing by running two Dermapteran Slicers (50% Armor Piercing) and having the Blades of Nadaan devotion (Increases Armor Piercing by 100%). You can also use a Blessed Whetstone for IAP 50%, though I think that only applies to the chosen weapon. Now, since AoM, it's even easier, because the Belgothian Set comes with a 50% increase to Armor Piercing also. With the Belgothian set and Blades of Nadaan, a sword only needs 40% base Armor Piercing to reach 100% physical->pierce damage conversion.

What this actually means is that if you manage to hit 100% Armor Piercing on both your weapons (or close to, at least), ALL flat physical damage you get from any source, including items, devotions and skills, will be converted to pierce damage and then multiplied by your presumably huge pierce damage values.

The upside of this is that it allows you to scale well with many Soldier/Nightblade items that typically have flat physical damage and %physical and pierce damage, such as the Belgothian set itself or Reforged Chains of Oleron.

This is great info. Thanks for sharing!

Regarding a semi-related point in terms of damage conversion: someone had a question what would happen if you had two items equipped, one giving 100% phys to ele conversion and another item that gave 20% ele to phys.

First, I believe it would normalize both values so when combined they fit within 100%. This means that you'll have about 83% phys to ele and 17% ele to phys. These conversions will apply simultaneously to your base damage.

For example, let's say before conversion you do 100 phys + 50 ele damage. Your 100 phys damage turns into (17 phys + 83 ele damage) and your 50 ele damage turns into (41 ele + 8 phys damage).

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 23, 2017

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Axetrain posted:

How Should I be leveling this build, all Demo first? I'm level 40 now and have only a couple points in Occultist. What weapons should I be using and what sort of modifiers should I prioritize in general?

If you feel comfortable, I would suggest using Grim Goon v2.0 and starting on Ultimate.

Here's a level 67 build with updated devotions for the expansion: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/vNQQ1aEN

Hopefully that'll give you a shorter term goal. Also, I would suggest maxing out your Sigil of Consumption and leaving it that way.

Edit: I kinda want to play this character now for the next playthrough...

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 23, 2017

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Can we get the Grim Goon link in the OP for future use? It may be a few days before I get a chance to download it on my home system.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

Just in case anyone is wondering, here's the updated version of it:

This is great, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

If you feel comfortable, I would suggest using Grim Goon v2.0 and starting on Ultimate.

I would but I don't have the expansion, and I want to play through the game at least once before deciding if I will get it.