Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Speaking of voices, though, nuChloe has really grown into the role this episode. I haven't finished yet, so I don't know if there's any awkward lines awaiting me, but so far so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Torgo2727 posted:

New voice actor for Samuel was aggressively bad. I ducked out of that conversation as fast as I could.

The tone in BTS is shaping up to be more heartwarming than the first game's soul crushing, and that is okay with me.

Yeah, I have no idea what happened there as they'd been doing such a good job with the voice work and writing for nearly everyone else (the only other character I'm a little iffy about is David, but he seems to be growing into the role a bit more now).

Meanwhile, Nathan is almost dead-on and to a slightly lesser extent so are Joyce, Wells, and Victoria. Hell, I even kind of like the new Chloe now as well (you can kind of hear the Burch version in there at times, especially when she gets mad).

Also, I appreciate them using "Youth" during the ending this time around as having heard it once randomly is how I'd even discovered the band Daughter in the first place and it just fits this series so well. Though considering next up is the final main chapter you'd think they'd have picked a slightly more interesting teaser to go at the end of this one.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 20, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I found the trailer very uninspiring so my expectations weren't very high for this episode but I found it lovely. Especially the play scene, that was a standout on par with D&D. Anyone who cheated should feel bad. :colbert:

All it really lacked compared to the first episode was a moment as punchy as the bit where the UI became

Y - Smash
X - Smash
A - Smash
B - Smash

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I flubbed some of the lines but I think it made the scene more real in the end. That was a really sweet moment but also kind of sad when you realize you can take Rachel's speech as a metaphor not just for their relationship but also her entire life.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I flubbed some of the lines but I think it made the scene more real in the end. That was a really sweet moment but also kind of sad when you realize you can take Rachel's speech as a metaphor not just for their relationship but also her entire life.

I like how that whole speech manages to be both cute (it's reaffirming their relationship and mutual desire to escape from the lives they find themselves trapped in) and slightly creepy (there's a weird master/slave vibe to the whole thing, especially considering later events where Chloe kind of becomes Rachel's tool in a metaphorical sense) at the same time.

Rachel strikes me as someone desperate to distance themselves from reality as much as possible (treating everything like a game, hiding her personality behind various social masks, etc.). With Chloe I think she finally found a kindred spirit of sorts that she could finally let down her guard a bit with.

Of course she later fucks that up by sleeping around with Frank behind her back but I don't think she intentionally meant to hurt Chloe per se and her feelings towards her were probably genuine (though most likely not to the same extent Chloe's were), she just never really understood how harmful her childish behavior really was and it wound up costing her in the end.

She's still manipulative, but I'm starting to warm up to her a bit more thanks to this episode (hell, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a whole game starring her that filled in the gaps not covered by BtS). I'm glad they didn't wind up going full Leland Palmer with her dad though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 20, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

Exactly! I got one of the lines wrong, but I still felt proud of myself for getting almost all of it right just based on reading the script.

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

That was pretty good! It definitely seems like a more personal scope for the story, albeit with that forest fire always looming as a picturesque backdrop. At first I thought they might be doing more of that, but then it didn't go there, and it was okay.

Loved the play and the puppy, and anyone who doesn't doesn't have a soul.

Let Rachel take the blame (it was her fault anyway) and subsequently drug Vicky to get her part back. I encouraged Victoria and didn't get involved, and Rachel was pretty chilling in that scene.
Emptied my pockets
Stayed with Mikey as his brother insisted and gave Drew the money back; that was a hard one. In the end I figured Drew had made a decision and I wasn't goint to take it away.
Kissed Rachel cause, come on.

I also only found out in the statistics that I could have met and warned Samantha; since I apparently missed her, she stood waiting for Nathan in the end montage. Well, drat.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Larryb posted:

Of course she later fucks that up by sleeping around with Frank and Jefferson behind her back

Everything else you said was on point and I don't want to be the guy correcting you at every turn, but Rachel never slept with Jefferson. Outside of a single line of gossip in the first episode from Stella (who does want to have sex with him, so that colors her perception), there's nothing to indicate there was anything going on there besides being his TA. And Dark Room-wise, the newspaper report on the flight to San Francisco goes out of its way to point out that there's no evidence he ever had sex with his victims. It felt like something the lawyers made them slip in just to be safe, like the repeated mention of how everybody is over 18. Jefferson liked to foster inappropriately close relationships with his students, but actually having sex with them would probably run counter to his whole "capturing the loss of innocence" motif. Remember how sharply he rebuffed Victoria when they both thought nobody was around.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No problem, I thought the first game implied they were involved somehow but misremembered the exact capacity. Though technically speaking Rachel was more Nathan's victim than she was Jefferson's since he's the one who kidnapped her and tried to emulate his mentor. Given what we know about her, I wouldn't put it past Rachel to have noticed Nathan's infatuation with her and purposefully lead him on a bit just for the fun of it either.

Not to say Jefferson is entirely blameless in the whole mess though (it seems pretty clear that Nathan didn't take all of the photos that were in her binder, particularly not the one where they're both passed out together).

Point remains, Rachel played around too much in her life and it wound up backfiring on her in the end. Though you'd think with her dad being the DA and all her parents would have put a bit more effort into trying to find her rather than just choosing to live in denial about it (on the other hand, after actually meeting her parents in this episode it seems pretty clear why her dad at least would want to keep something like that under the rug).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 21, 2017

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I've been kind of disppointed overall with BTS. Just felt like so much more was going on in LiS. Also the "puzzles" in this episode were really boring and nothing as sweet as the smash everything scene ever came up.

Also it was a cute chapter but it seems like they're really going through the bullet points of everything we know about Rachel and Chloe in like a week and it all happens 3 years before Rachel even goes missing which is really weird.

ALSO I know it's just supposed to be a cute reference or whatever but It's kind of hosed up that Chloe like dresses up Max in the clothes that Rachel was wearing the first time they kiss under a street lamp

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Ok, I just finished Episode 2, so hot takes incoming.

-Joyce is and continues to be awesome. It's kind of a trope in YA fiction that all adults are blind to the injustices kids go through, but Mama Bear Joyce isn't afraid to go to bat for Chloe. I ended up taking the blame for Rachel because that's totally what Chloe would have done, but it was great to see Joyce call Wells out on his classist, corrupt bullshit.

-More license plates to nerd out over. Skip is totally a Dune fan.

-I emptied out my pockets even though I thought David was way overstepping, because it made sense for Chloe to be feeling kinda crushed at the moment.

-Not sure if this was a railroad choice but I made sure to go with the pirate seatcover. Also, the "You are going to die" graffitti.

-The bit in the truck actually brought me around on Rachel. I don't think she's outright manipulating Chloe like I feared, but still a little nervous.

-Never get between a man and his beans. Also, puppy Pompadeau was awesome. Anyone who got him hurt in S1 is a monster.

-Ended up giving Damon the money because I didn't want to listen to Drew get beat up with Mikey listening. Felt terrible about the arm break.

I took the blame, so Rachel was still Prospero. Victoria tried to drug her, but was forced to drink the tea herself. Max may have sympathy for Victoria, but Chloe gives no fucks.

-I love it when this series gets the characters to talk about real poo poo in a roundabout way, so the play scene was great. Despite all the fanfiction, this scene proves that Chloe is totally a sub even if she fronts like she's a badass.

-If you didn't go full lesbian and ask for a kiss, why are you even playing this game?

-The Amber house was super awkward. No insightful commentary here. Couldn't wait to get it over with.

Edit: Had a strong moment of feels when Steph visited Mikey and Drew in the hospital. Drew has got to be feeling like poo poo after his BS got his little brother's arm broken.

Canemacar fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 21, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not to mention the fact that we're 2 episodes into a 3 episode series and Sera has yet to get a single line of dialogue despite apparently being a major player in the story. All we know about her is that she came to town recently, is a bit of a troublemaker, works for Damon and is apparently Rachel's birth mother. That basically means that we have one episode to cover her entire character arc (and I wouldn't be surprised if she winds up dead by the end of it). I'm not completely sure they'll be able to pull it off that effectively.

I've still been enjoying the game overall and it's still possible they can pull a decent ending out of all of this. But it feels like there's a lot of wasted potential here overall (they could have probably used at least one more episode to help pace things out a bit better). Especially since the first episode seemed to waste a lot of time spinning it's wheels at points, meaning they had to dump a majority of the plot related content onto us all at once here.

Canemacar posted:

Ok, I just finished Episode 2, so hot takes incoming.

-Joyce is and continues to be awesome. It's kind of a trope in YA fiction that all adults are blind to the injustices kids go through, but Mama Bear Joyce isn't afraid to go to bat for Chloe. I ended up taking the blame for Rachel because that's totally what Chloe would have done, but it was great to see Joyce call Wells out on his classist, corrupt bullshit.

I took the blame, so Rachel was still Prospero. Victoria tried to drug her, but was forced to drink the tea herself. Max may have sympathy for Victoria, but Chloe gives no fucks.

The beginning with Joyce in Wells' office is one of my favorite scenes in the game, Chloe is definitely her mother's daughter.

Also if you switch the cups instead of confronting Victoria before the play you get a much funnier scene afterwards in my opinion. If you let Rachel take the blame at the beginning you get a much creepier scene here where Rachel decides to drug Victoria herself in order to steal back her role.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 21, 2017

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Larryb posted:

Not to mention the fact that we're 2 episodes into a 3 episode series and Sera has yet to get a single line of dialogue despite apparently being a major player in the story. All we know about her is that she came to town recently, is a bit of a troublemaker, works for Damon and is apparently Rachel's birth mother. That basically means that we have one episode to cover her entire character arc (and I wouldn't be surprised if she winds up dead by the end of it). I'm not completely sure they'll be able to pull it off that effectively.

I've still been enjoying the game overall and it's still possible they can pull a decent ending out of all of this. But it feels like there's a lot of wasted potential here overall (they could have probably used at least one more episode to help pace things out a bit better). Especially since the first episode seemed to waste a lot of time spinning it's wheels at points, meaning they had to dump a majority of the plot related content onto us all at once here.

To be honest, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for the plot of this season to wrap up nice and satisfying. One episode probably isn't enough to deal with Damon, Rachel's real mom, the fire, and Chloe's home life troubles. But despite that, i'm ok with it as long as they deliver on the Rachel/Chloe parts because that's what the story is really about; everything else is just framing.

I think you asked before Larryb, what influence BtS would have on people's final decision in LiS. I was already one of the people who decided to sacrifice Arcadia Bay for Chloe, and for me, BtS has only solidified that decision. She was already the star of LiS, but seeing more of what Chloe has dealt with, there's no way I could make the decision to condemn her to death. Doing so would mean killing her before she got to experience any redemptive interactions with Max. She dies alone in the bathroom of a place she hated, feeling herself abandoned and unloved by everyone in her life, killed by a guy who nearly date-raped her. It may not stack up in an ethics course debate, but there's no way I could do that to Chloe.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sera is a narc, calling it now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Canemacar posted:

To be honest, I'm not holding out a lot of hope for the plot of this season to wrap up nice and satisfying. One episode probably isn't enough to deal with Damon, Rachel's real mom, the fire, and Chloe's home life troubles. But despite that, i'm ok with it as long as they deliver on the Rachel/Chloe parts because that's what the story is really about; everything else is just framing.

I think you asked before Larryb, what influence BtS would have on people's final decision in LiS. I was already one of the people who decided to sacrifice Arcadia Bay for Chloe, and for me, BtS has only solidified that decision. She was already the star of LiS, but seeing more of what Chloe has dealt with, there's no way I could make the decision to condemn her to death. Doing so would mean killing her before she got to experience any redemptive interactions with Max. She dies alone in the bathroom of a place she hated, feeling herself abandoned and unloved by everyone in her life, killed by a guy who nearly date-raped her. It may not stack up in an ethics course debate, but there's no way I could do that to Chloe.

Chloe's home life troubles kind of can't be resolved here as she's still dealing with them come Life is Strange. And true, Before the Storm and Life is Strange are both merely chapters in the collective narrative that is The Tragedy of Chloe Price.

Granted, in the latter we're seeing her from an outside perspective but think about it, we only get the bare minimum of information regarding Max herself but we're told almost everything about Chloe, she's the one who has a character arc spanning the entire game (though technically Max does too, just in the other direction. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the more Chloe starts turning back into a functional human being the more Max herself starts breaking apart) and she's the one who gets the big heroic moment at the end as the shell she'd built for herself following William's death and Max's departure breaks away and the Chloe Max grew up with at long last returns (finally in a sense winning her "liberty" as alluded to in the play).

Otherwise that's a fair point, it is kind of noble though for Chloe to decide to sacrifice herself for a town that has done nothing but poo poo all over her for the last 5+ years of her life if only to save her best friend from becoming just as broken as she is (which is part of the reason why I consider her the real hero of LiS).

Problem is, the Chloe from the bathroom has no idea about any of this and hasn't gone through the development we saw the other Chloe gain throughout the game. The question then becomes, is it fair to kill someone in the past just because of a decision they happened to make in the future? Especially when the situation wasn't something she brought about by conscious choice (not to mention the fact that in the alternate timeline where Chloe never met Rachel we see that the storm is still coming).

As I've said, all 3 girls are responsible for the creation of the storm (Rachel was the spark, Chloe lit the fire and Max fanned the flames) in some form or another, and to a lesser extent so are Nathan and Jefferson by association (via kidnapping, drugging and murdering Rachel and thereby setting the whole cycle into motion in the first place).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 21, 2017

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Wezlar posted:

I've been kind of disppointed overall with BTS. Just felt like so much more was going on in LiS. Also the "puzzles" in this episode were really boring and nothing as sweet as the smash everything scene ever came up.

Weird, I feel the opposite. BtS's boring busywork feels a lot less boring but a little more busy than s1's. Chloe building a home away from home in the junkyard by herself and struggling to interact with the Ambers were good scenes that had too many tiny hoops to jump through. Meanwhile, LiS's usual busywork was just "oh no dropped my pocket better rewind" with the occasional bottlehunt. The first was at least an excuse to explore the junkyard.

A good example of s1 vs BtS for me is the exploration of campus in the first episode. In s1, it was mostly rewind options and whispers about Rachel. In BtS, it's listening to Skip's demo, playing DnD, and being condescended to by Victoria. And whispers about Rachel.

I think I like BtS more than Season 1, to the point where I am actually apprehensive about DONTNOD taking over season 2. I don't think I could handle LiS becoming less gay.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Really enjoyed the episode.

I found myself making her choices more along what I'd personally do, keep the peace and not overtly antagonize people, even though Chloe herself fires from the hip and doesn't give a gently caress.

How about that intro? I wish they let you appreciate her handiwork and let it sink in she's in her death bathroom. How long was she in that bathroom for anyway? She totally bombed that place with the guard outside, I doubt he would have abided an hour long poo poo. The music was awesome.

It was kind of hard for me to decide to empty my pockets when I didn't even know what was in them. I figured my hand would be forced one way or another

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I figured Chloe didn't have any pot in her hence why she uses a stash. So I could make David look like an incredible douche in front of Joyce.

And it worked.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Larryb posted:

I guess there's technically no reason why they couldn't make Before the Storm Pt. 2 if there was enough forward momentum, the timeline is certainly porous enough from the events of this game leading into LiS and we know there are some provocative events coming up. Although past a certain point you begin dealing in absurdities like the prequel series being lengthier than the actual game it is based off of, or Chloe / Rachel playing a far more central role than Max herself. Anyway, I'm predicting that the whole intrigue with Rachel's real mom holy wowser! isn't actually going to get much of a character arc at all, and will mostly serve as a framing device for some kind of ultimate reason why Chloe and Rachel can't leave right away. And I am batting 1.000 on Accurate Video Game Predictions so far this series.

Also, has anyone else youtubed the Rachel kiss scene if you were just friendly and decide to lay that on her at the last minute? I know Life is Strange is full of traumatic incidents and uncomfortable moments, but that might just be the worst. Super cringey to watch.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Got a link for that scene?

Also I just want to say that I appreciate the icon for Frank during backtalk being a can of beans.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I found it on this stream of the episode. It is now my headcanon because imagine flash forwarding three years after this scene and hearing Chloe say "yeah we totally made out a few times no big deal hehe."

Also did anyone notice the flames on the candles growing during Rachel's breakdown at the Amber household? I missed that at first expecting some other kind of supernatural event to unfold but it was definitely an intentional choice there.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
No DnD this episode. 0/10.

As much as I enjoy the vibe (that music!) and certain moments of the game, definitely a few things off with the episode. Maybe it's because I stayed up late playing it, but some of the establishing shots and the applause at the end of the play seemed to stretch on foreverrrrrrrrr. Not helped by the game leaning away from interactivity - there's an awful lot of cutscenes this ep, with minimal dialogue choices and way less sections with actual physical control. Definitely moving a bit more Telltale-esque than Dontnod's efforts.

Also Damon Merrick has the worst character design in all of LiS. He just looks like a cartoon bad guy, I'm surprised they didn't put spikes on his evil leather jacket. It's a shame because the choices with Drew are actually one of the highlights of the ep, and legitimately made me feel terrible! The stakes being a potentially career-ruining beating rather than MURDERRRRR - make things so much more relatable and deliciously economically complicated in a real and tragic way.

exquisite tea posted:

I like how most of the Backtalk sequences in this game begin as an option against your better judgment, but they've got the attractive blue dialogue bubble option so you can't resist. Just like Chloe, you're prodded to always get in the last word. That being said I've chosen to not get in a shouting match a few times now, although I feel like these decisions are mostly unpopular.
PSA for everyone: always take the Backtalk options! Honestly, despite it seeming bad, it never actually steers you wrong (Chloe highroadedly guilts poor Skip instead of tearing into him for example) and the dialogue is usually really good. The argument with Mr Amber gave him more characterisation (and made him easier to hate) than the rest of the episode did.

SirSamVimes posted:

I figured Chloe didn't have any pot in her hence why she uses a stash. So I could make David look like an incredible douche in front of Joyce.

And it worked.
There's been zero weed smoking in all of BTS, right? Seems a curious, possibly cowardly, little design choice. Though I was more confused that even David had no objections to the 17 year old carrying around a pack of cigarettes.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm still flabbergasted by how bad it was, tbh
Curious why it bothered you so much. It was a bit jarring and character-breaking, but it being basically a tucked away, optional conversation with a character who wasn't important to this or in the original game - it seemed like a pretty inoffensive breach of continuity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's lots of weed smoking in BtS, you just have to buy pot from Frank and refuse to comply with fascists.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Also Damon Merrick has the worst character design in all of LiS. He just looks like a cartoon bad guy, I'm surprised they didn't put spikes on his evil leather jacket. It's a shame because the choices with Drew are actually one of the highlights of the ep, and legitimately made me feel terrible!

In true LIS tradition, I'm sure that Damon escaped a violent home with his younger sister, and is now forced into a life a crime in order to afford her expensive medication for a genetic disease. And he secretly loves collecting flowers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arach posted:

In true LIS tradition, I'm sure that Damon escaped a violent home with his younger sister, and is now forced into a life a crime in order to afford her expensive medication for a genetic disease. And he secretly loves collecting flowers.

Come to think of it, I believe the only characters in this franchise with almost no redeeming qualities are Sean Prescott (who we actually get to meet in this game if you happen to talk to Samantha before the play) and Mark Jefferson.

Conversely, the only (major) person I could call completely good in the series is Kate and maybe Chloe's parents (though Joyce was a little too quick to take David's side in a lot of matters early on in Life is Strange and in this game). Everybody else has a few shades of gray to them and I'm guessing Damon and Sera won't be any different in that regard.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 21, 2017

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Episode Two was...the only word that could possibly do it justice is intoxicating.

The meeting in Principal Wells' office made me more angry than I thought I could possibly feel towards a character in a video-game. It was so blatantly unfair how he treated Chloe. Come on, she's no angel but punishing her for the misbehavior of other students?

What really got me was when he said that Victoria would have been punished if Nathan hadn't spoken on her behalf. What could Nathan possibly have said that makes it okay for Victoria to try and cheat by copying Chloe's answers for her homework? Nathan wasn't even there when it happened! Joyce hit the nail on the head. Nathan and Victoria come from wealthy families so he made Chloe the scapegoat to avoid ruffling any influential feathers. I get the feeling that he didn't feel comfortable reading the riot act to Drew because he felt sorry for him, what with his family situation. But to punish Chloe instead? Someone should explain to him that you' should be just before you're generous. Screw you in the ear, Wells! I wish it was an option for Chloe to tag your car on the way out!

And the kicker? Unless Chloe takes the rap for Rachel, Wells will reward Victoria by giving her Rachel's part in the play!

Jesus Christ, don't even get me started on David commanding Chloe to turn out her pockets as though she's going to prison. He goes on about how she'll be happy once she's been taught the joys of a stable home and how they need to make a fresh start. Okay, two things wrong with that. 1) Chloe already knows what a stable home is because she had one until her dad was killed. She's hurting and needs someone to understand her pain and help her get through it, not treat her like she's going through a standard teenager's rebellious phase. 2) He tells Joyce that Chloe insulted him in the car yesterday. What he neglects to mention is that he provoked her by saying she'd had 'a vacation from having a father figure' for long enough. Wow, that's a quaint way of saying that her father died in a car crash and she's been in an emotional mess ever since.

If you want to make a fresh start with somebody then you make a fresh start with them! You don't say, "Now we're agreed on that, I'm going to start personally running your life from this day forward. Inspection time. Better not have anything you shouldn't in those pockets."

Joyce says that she wants her daughter back but she hasn't lost Chloe. Chloe's right there and needs her mom. What she gets instead is people treating her like she's defective. Do therapists only exist for rich people in this universe?

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 21, 2017

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just finished Episode 2. Game continues to own. I'm very relieved/impressed that Deck 9 really seems to "get" the series. They deserve a bunch of props.

Post episode talk:

Obviously had Rachel and Chloe kiss, but there's a sinking feeling in my gut that this relationship is not healthy at all. The improv Tempest bit really seems to drive that point home. And man, the game also likes to drive home that Arcadia Bay is a terrible place that probably deserves to be wiped off the map. But on the other hand, Chloe's interactions with Joyce are heartbreaking, and it seems even more horrible now to let her die in the original game.

This episode also had some really cool camera shots:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 21, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Just finished Episode 2. Game continues to own. I'm very relieved/impressed that Deck 9 really seems to "get" the series. They deserve a bunch of props.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them make more LiS side games like this in the future to be honest.

For example, I could see a followup game starring Rachel that covers the rest of the time leading up to the original or alternatively, do a reverse of BtS. Letting us see what Max was up to during those 5 years in Seattle and what her home life is like (Chloe's arguably had 2 whole games devoted to her now, give someone else a turn in the spotlight for a change).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 21, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them make more LiS side games like this in the future to be honest.

For example, I could see a followup game starring Rachel that covers the rest of the time leading up to the original or alternatively, do a reverse of BtS. Letting us see what Max was up to during those 5 years in Seattle and what her home life is like (Chloe's arguably had 2 whole games devoted to her now, give someone else a turn in the spotlight for a change).

There should be a game for every single character in Arcadia Bay, except Mr. Jefferson & Sean Prescott. Puppy Pompidou or Lisa the plant: The Game, please.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

VagueRant posted:

There's been zero weed smoking in all of BTS, right? Seems a curious, possibly cowardly, little design choice.

Git gud, scrub.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Anyone else notice Eliot's creepy poem about Chloe? And the fact he's been google-searching for info on her?

Or that Warren is driving his old car, just repainted in LiS? Even has the same bumper sticker.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Canemacar posted:

Anyone else notice Eliot's creepy poem about Chloe? And the fact he's been google-searching for info on her?

Or that Warren is driving his old car, just repainted in LiS? Even has the same bumper sticker.

If you look at the crowd during the play he gets kind of pissed during Chloe and Rachel's little moment on stage as well. Not to mention that depending on your choices you've either been blowing him off at every chance or leading him on with no intention of ever actually following through. I'm worried he might wind up going a little nuts come the finale.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I found it foreboding when Samuel pointed out that Eliot is the only person he can't get a read on. There's something about him that's off (besides having an incredibly awkward crush on Chloe).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Post episode talk:

Obviously had Rachel and Chloe kiss, but there's a sinking feeling in my gut that this relationship is not healthy at all. The improv Tempest bit really seems to drive that point home. And man, the game also likes to drive home that Arcadia Bay is a terrible place that probably deserves to be wiped off the map. But on the other hand, Chloe's interactions with Joyce are heartbreaking, and it seems even more horrible now to let her die in the original game.

I think Rachel is just someone who is used to being desired, and the thing about people who are beautiful and popular is that there's a fine line between favors and outright manipulation. Maybe you know you're kind of leading that poor girl on a little, but she likes you and you like her too, so what's the harm? What's the harm in upending her entire life to surround yours on this cross country adventure you cooked up in the past couple days? I don't think Rachel is a bad person or even intends to harm Chloe, but she's equal parts intense and easily bored. And Chloe in her vulnerable, wounded state would do just about anything for her. This is Life is Strange so you know it's already going to come down to some grand betrayal type moment that hella complicates things.

Uh why am I sitting here hoping that Chloe doesn't get her heart broken, this is fiction, all of it's fake! Was not really expecting to get this invested in the feels department again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

There should be a game for every single character in Arcadia Bay, except Mr. Jefferson & Sean Prescott. Puppy Pompidou or Lisa the plant: The Game, please.

The Life & Times of Frank Bowers: A tragic tale of Drugs, Romance and Beans

Or

Science is Strange starring Warren Graham and Brooke Scott

exquisite tea posted:

And Chloe in her vulnerable, wounded state would do just about anything for her. This is Life is Strange so you know it's already going to come down to some grand betrayal type moment that hella complicates things.

Uh why am I sitting here hoping that Chloe doesn't get her heart broken, this is fiction, all of it's fake! Was not really expecting to get this invested in the feels department again.

We already kind of got that in LiS proper when it was revealed that Rachel was seeing Frank behind Chloe's back.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 21, 2017

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I think Rachel is just someone who is used to being desired, and the thing about people who are beautiful and popular is that there's a fine line between favors and outright manipulation. Maybe you know you're kind of leading that poor girl on a little, but she likes you and you like her too, so what's the harm? What's the harm in upending her entire life to surround yours on this cross country adventure you cooked up in the past couple days? I don't think Rachel is a bad person or even intends to harm Chloe, but she's equal parts intense and easily bored. And Chloe in her vulnerable, wounded state would do just about anything for her. This is Life is Strange so you know it's already going to come down to some grand betrayal type moment that hella complicates things.

Yeah, I do think Rachel's feelings for Chloe are genuine, but just the way the two of them are, it's seems destined to end horribly (which we see in the first game) . The universe really is out to get Chloe Price. :smith:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Larryb posted:

If you look at the crowd during the play he gets kind of pissed during Chloe and Rachel's little moment on stage as well. Not to mention that depending on your choices you've either been blowing him off at every chance or leading him on with no intention of ever actually following through. I'm worried he might wind up going a little nuts come the finale.

I was unsure about him from the start based on Chloe's journal where she mentions the feeling that he's analyzing her. She also mentions that he drifts through a couple social circles, but is still a lone wolf.

PunkBoy posted:

I found it foreboding when Samuel pointed out that Eliot is the only person he can't get a read on. There's something about him that's off (besides having an incredibly awkward crush on Chloe).

In a game that pays so much attention to the false fronts people use to hide their real selves, that is a very ominous distinction.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Eliot almost seems like a red herring to me. It's too obvious that he's creepy as gently caress. I don't think he's going to amount to much in Episode 3, if anything.

Maybe I'm also overthinking things, but he almost feels like a 'take that' at people that thought Warren was overly creepy in the original game. Kind of like 'Really? You thought Warren was creepy? We'll show you what REAL creepy is!'

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, I do think Rachel's feelings for Chloe are genuine, but just the way the two of them are, it's seems destined to end horribly (which we see in the first game) . The universe really is out to get Chloe Price. :smith:

After this episode I don't really think Rachel is as bad person at heart or intentionally set out to hurt anyone, she just can't really see past her own nose when it comes to making plans and doesn't understand how her childish behavior might end up hurting others.

It seems to be that in her mind if she decides to do something, it's going to happen no questions asked. She lives in a fantasy world because the reality is suffocating her (and she's such a good actress/liar that it's hard for others to tell the difference), and we all know how that turned out for her in the end. To put it another way, while Chloe remains chained to her past Rachel actively tries to run from it (and the rare times the mask does come off it's not always a pretty sight).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Playing Before the Storm makes me feel completely justified in letting Arcadia Bay burn.

• Locked thread