Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

alf_pogs posted:

alien ressurection definitely won that competition because event horizon loving rules

Larry Fishburne as the most sensible space captain ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Event Horizon is a blast, and the 90s also included Judge Dredd, Waterworld, Godzilla, Lost in Space, Sphere, Bicentennial Man, and Wing Commander.

Except that of those, Waterworld, Sphere, and Bicentennial Man are good. I'll even defend Judge Dredd's production design and soundtrack, and anytime Stallone is wearing the Judge helmet and doesn't take it off.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

alf_pogs posted:

alien ressurection definitely won that competition because event horizon loving rules

I actually think Alien Resurrection is slightly better than that pile of poo poo. Paul W.S. Anderson redeemed himself with AVP and the Resident Evil films, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Bicentennial Man is one of those movies that Blockbuster Video advertised constantly and I was working at Blockbuster at the time so I just came to hate it without knowing anything about it beyond Robin Williams plays a Robot.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Except that of those, Waterworld, Sphere, and Bicentennial Man are good. I'll even defend Judge Dredd's production design and soundtrack, and anytime Stallone is wearing the Judge helmet and doesn't take it off.

at the end of bicentennial man i certainly felt like i had been watching a movie for 200 years.

sphere is pretty good, though. a really terrifying movie to see when you are young.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

SimonCat posted:

Larry Fishburne as the most sensible space captain ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io
It's hard to imagine that anyone who would voluntarily watch a horror movie could dislike Event Horizon.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Bicentennial Man was depressing as gently caress.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

With that script you can tell they tried.

The actual script was really "fun." It was a John Woo movie with aliens, seriously. It got extremely neutered down by the end and filtered through Jeunet and Weaver's vision.

If John Woo directed Resurrection, it would have been what was envisioned and something interesting, but, yeah.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Darko posted:

The actual script was really "fun." It was a John Woo movie with aliens, seriously. It got extremely neutered down by the end and filtered through Jeunet and Weaver's vision.

If John Woo directed Resurrection, it would have been what was envisioned and something interesting, but, yeah.

That's actually just horseshit Whedon spreads because he can't admit to writing a poo poo script.
Woo movie my rear end.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Whedon's script reads like a Resident Evil movie. It ends with a fistfight between Ripley and the Newborn (who in this script resembled more the "licker" creature from the Resident Evil games than the end result) and eventually Ripley rips out the Newborn's tongue (which was still the rigid, secondary-jaw type of the other aliens) and jabs it in its forehead.

I mean, it does sound like it could have been fun, but really trashy and stupid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was probably a good way to end a pointless scene, but I liked Aliens just snatching people or attacking at pretty much random times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm going to take the brave and controversial opinion that Whedon is actually a hack and writes really lovely stories populated by poorly written or eye-rollingly pandering characters.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

lizardman posted:

Yeah, Whedon's script reads like a Resident Evil movie. It ends with a fistfight between Ripley and the Newborn (who in this script resembled more the "licker" creature from the Resident Evil games than the end result) and eventually Ripley rips out the Newborn's tongue (which was still the rigid, secondary-jaw type of the other aliens) and jabs it in its forehead.

I mean, it does sound like it could have been fun, but really trashy and stupid.

I'm not familiar with that ending, the two I'm familiar with are the early draft that has the Newborn getting mulched by a futuristic harvester (and Gen. Perez's character suffers the movie Newborn's fate, and is sucked out of a hole in a window):

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/alienresurrection_early.txt

And the shooting script, which is identical to what we got in the finished movie.

From some light googling it seems like you might be talking about this script draft, which has the harvester mulching the Newborn but Ripley finishes it off by stabbing a metal pole through its head:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/files/scripts/alien-resurrection-1996-07-22.pdf

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

the movie Newborn's fate, and is sucked out of a hole in a window

Resurrection has its problems, but that's an absolutely killer bit.

I don't actually dislike Resurrection so much. Like, yeah, Whedon's dialog sucks, but there's a lot to like in the production.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sir Kodiak posted:

Resurrection has its problems, but that's an absolutely killer bit.

I don't actually dislike Resurrection so much. Like, yeah, Whedon's dialog sucks, but there's a lot to like in the production.

Yeah, I think the cinematography and visual aesthetic of Alien Resurrection is really good. It's such a shame that it — along with a great cast — was wasted on a lovely script and director.

The underwater scene with the aliens is still one of my favorite bits of the whole series.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can see stills from alien resurrection and think "hmm, this looks pretty good. The sets look like alien, good cast, some really cool scenes" but then you see it all in motion and it's comical, it's bad.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

viral spiral posted:

The underwater scene with the aliens is still one of my favorite bits of the whole series.

Yeah, the graceful swimming aliens are cool and show the sort of intimidating athletic competence we hadn't gotten out of them before, presumably because of limitations on the costumes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

viral spiral posted:

Yeah, I think the cinematography and visual aesthetic of Alien Resurrection is really good. It's such a shame that it — along with a great cast — was wasted on a lovely script and director.

The cinematography and aesthetic are mostly due to Jeunet, so at least that part of his direction was not lovely.

Jeunet is a really good director, I still believe the movie would have been twice as good if they'd learned their lesson from Alien 3 and given him full control. It would have been a lot weirder, for sure, but better.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Brad Dourif needed more scenes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Basebf555 posted:

Jeunet is a really good director, I still believe the movie would have been twice as good if they'd learned their lesson from Alien 3 and given him full control. It would have been a lot weirder, for sure, but better.

My favorite thing about resurrection is that of all the people involved, the one most confused about hiring Jeunet was Jeunet himself.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not familiar with that ending, the two I'm familiar with are the early draft that has the Newborn getting mulched by a futuristic harvester (and Gen. Perez's character suffers the movie Newborn's fate, and is sucked out of a hole in a window):

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/alienresurrection_early.txt

And the shooting script, which is identical to what we got in the finished movie.

From some light googling it seems like you might be talking about this script draft, which has the harvester mulching the Newborn but Ripley finishes it off by stabbing a metal pole through its head:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/files/scripts/alien-resurrection-1996-07-22.pdf

I'm pretty sure it's the one contained in the Quadrilogy DVD box set.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23J9VtVqMzY

:awesome:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Too bad that movie is.going to be hot dogshit

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's actually going to be good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Agreed.

Also I'm 3 stories into the Predator short story anthology and it's already way better than the Aliens one. Two of the stories have been inoffensive and by the numbers as far as boilerplate Predator stories go, and one is framed around a particular historical event and is a lot more interesting. My only real complaint is that after the fact I looked up that event on Wikipedia just for my own knowledge, and the short story kinda gets the history wrong which is a little goofy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

it has an autistic kid learning to speak predator then wearing predator armor while trick or treating. also mutant predators and predators who work with the US gov riding in tanks. Its going to be dumb as poo poo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

banned from Starbucks posted:

it has an autistic kid learning to speak predator then wearing predator armor while trick or treating. also mutant predators and predators who work with the US gov riding in tanks. Its going to be dumb as poo poo

Predator 2 has a Columbian War Lord named El Scorpio putting coke on his wound, and all over his face screaming "EL SCORPIO, IS REAADDDYYY".

Predator is no stranger to weird dumb poo poo.

Also all of that sounds great and fresh. I'm tired of the same old Predator story. Like sooo much.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Alien Vs Predator
FAN PEE PEE

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

CelticPredator posted:

Predator 2 has a Columbian War Lord named El Scorpio putting coke on his wound, and all over his face screaming "EL SCORPIO, IS REAADDDYYY".

Predator is no stranger to weird dumb poo poo.

Also all of that sounds great and fresh. I'm tired of the same old Predator story. Like sooo much.

Cocaine is a local anesthetic.

Still weird and all, but it makes a little more sense if you know that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did not. Well Predator 2 is still pretty bonkers regardless

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I make a lot of posts along these lines but to say again the only way to make it fresh is to either make a movie where more than like eight people on earth are aware that Predators exist and how they operate or to have it set in like Colonial Marines era times and have humans and Predators know about each other and possibly vaguely get along overall but have some individual rear end in a top hat humans or Predators for the story to happen.

Like I know some people in here like Predators but if it was just going to be another story of some supposedly most badass warriors ever but oh poo poo, THE PREDATOR is here then what's the point. Predators destroyed any good will I may have had for another attempts at that being the entire story.

Honestly the more I watch them the more I realize Predator 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Predator. Predator is classic and one of my favorite movies ever but Predator 2 just next level embraces the awesomeness of what it is. Like when making Predator 2 they took all the macho posturing in the first ten minutes to be the most important core aspect of human characters in a Predator story. They were right. It's one of the best sequels ever made. The way the entire thing is shot and colored like an extreme attitude comic book holds up really well today too. It's sort of like The Crow in that it was a comic (Predator comics had been a thing for a while at the time Predator 2 was happening) movie that ended up being waaaaaaay more influential on mainstream comics than its actual comics ever were.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 22, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Also all of that sounds great and fresh.

Lol. Go read the outline and still say that that garbage sounds great and fresh with a straight face.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did and I did. I read that when it got leaked. It sounds fun to me, especially with some great Shane Black dialog pushing through it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I make a lot of posts along these lines but to say again the only way to make it fresh is to either make a movie where more than like eight people on earth are aware that Predators exist and how they operate or to have it set in like Colonial Marines era times and have humans and Predators know about each other and possibly vaguely get along overall but have some individual rear end in a top hat humans or Predators for the story to happen.
One of the better Predator stories isn't actually a Predator story. 'AvP: Eternal' runs with the premise of "what if a small group of humans knew Predators existed, and used their own tactics and (captured) technology against them to turn the tables and hunt Predators in order to steal more of their tech". It's an AvP story only because two Aliens show up briefly late in the story, do nothing, and get killed - you could excise them from the plot entirely and it wouldn't change anything.

The 'Predator: Concrete Jungle' videogame cribs pretty heavily from Eternal, but has the Predator as the protagonist rather than some humans.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Black Bones posted:

Brad Dourif needed more scenes

true of everything he is in

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

true of everything he is in

Not the latest Chucky movie, where there just might be too much Chucky.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If they keep doing more of them, Too Much Chucky would be an awesome actual title for one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darko posted:

Not the latest Chucky movie, where there just might be too much Chucky.

I watched the movie. No such thing.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Hey dumbass, use spoilers for stuff like this.

JFC. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

viral spiral posted:

Hey dumbass, use spoilers for stuff like this.

JFC. :ughh:

there's a predalien in it and Ripley from the future shows up at the end