Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
A friend found this on the steam community page for a videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ceciltron posted:

Thank you I've been looking for this for ages.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished one of the lamest probations I've ever had. I guess ole Gene figured out who I am and was making up for lost time. I know you're reading this!

I saw this yesterday on my Wechat wall. People are spamming this. Wow, an old guy whose job is standing around talking can still stand around and talk... without hot water!!

Imagine if your birth name was Taiwan, and you were black or mixed-race, and you wanted to go to the Mainland for a visit.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Bajaj did you get your saat sabzi for Diwali? Or is that only a Sindi thing? I ate a bunch of leftover sabzi today with puri. Also chawal kheer. And I've had at least 30 "pan bites" since Wednesday... not as good as real pan, but it's only $2.50 for a box of 60.
I have a ton of paan pasanda candy, and I am addicted to it. I had paan pasanda ice cream recently, and that was incredibly. I love real paan, but the guy I used to go to got closed down in an effort by the city to "clean up" the sidewalks (AKA they weren't getting enough bribes). This just reminds me there is one of those gourmet paan shops about a 10 minute bike ride away that does all those wacky chocolate and bullshit paans for 100 rupees (instead of the usual 20). I should pay them a visit tonight.

I did not get any sata subzi, but I went to a gau/go puja thing yesterday at a dairy farm and got to play with a ton of baby cows while the mom's spazzed out at the influx of people and sprayed diarrhea everywhere on people's clothes. Anyway, there was a good feast after.

This is my 5th diwali here, and I hate them. The fireworks are done for a week leading up to it, and still show no signs of stopping. Just relentless window-rattling bombs that most other countries would ban for how strong they are. Some idiots on my street did them until 2am, and then resumed at 5 and 6am. I've had to keep my doors closed all day and night now because the smoke from the bombs is terrible. Delhi's AQI on Diwali night was 600-1000+, lingering now at a pleasant 300+. I am so glad I am not there. We're under 200 where I am now, and I am just waiting for the little shitstains to go back to school on Monday and stop blowing poo poo up. I felt like I had a head cold for a while until I realized it was just pollution from fireworks. The neighborhood was blasting 24-hours a day for several days in a row, but it's less now.

Indians are notorious for never telling each other to stop their bullshit, and this is more normal when the person is like 16 and younger. Many have a really strong aversion to telling kids "no" or reprimanding them, preferring to let them be obnoxious shits until they get to high school or university. I guess psychologically this makes them bypass the rebellious phase, because they never have limits on their conduct, but it's so annoying.

My favorite was when I was at a fancy restaurant with my dad (in India) and some people came and were seated next to us with two 10-ish-year-old kids, each of whom had one of those lovely wood flutes poor guys make and sell on the side of the road. The kids were blowing on them as hard as they could non-stop, tweaking everyone's ears. The parents and their relatives/friends with them were completely ignoring it. The rest of the restaurant was ignoring it or giving them those dirty looks but of course would never say anything about it.

My dad asked politely if the parents could stop the flute blowing because it was ruining our meal. Their dad looked at him and said "Why? They are only children. Just let them play. It's not bad." My dad said "We came here for a nice meal, and I don't want to pay money to listen to these kids blow on these flutes." One of the kids asked if he should stop, and the dad gave them this face and hand motion that meant "keep doing it," because it was pissing off the foreigner. Indians love to make petty face gains like this, like Chinese, and he had this smirk on his face like "Nobody can tell me what to do!"

The waiter came over and asked my dad if there is anything we need, and my dad said loudly "YEAH, I WANT THESE loving KIDS TO SHUT THE gently caress UP WITH THESE loving FLUTES. CAN DO YOU DO THAT?" The waiter knew he could not, since waiters are low-class and have no power, and he just kept saying "Um, sir..." The dad at the other table yelled back "WHY ARE YOU RUDE!? IT IS MY CHILDREN, THEY WILL PLAY THE FLUTES!" My dad stood up and said "SHUT THESE loving KIDS UP OR I WILL TAKE THESE loving FLUTES AND BREAK THEM OVER YOUR HEAD. STOP ACTING LIKE AN rear end in a top hat!!"

Much like China, many people here will act like assholes until it's time to put up or shut up, and then they will shrink down into nothingness. The guy slumped in his chair and stared and frowned at my dad the rest of the time we were there.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
At that point the whole restaurant stood up and clapped. And those flutes, were Albert Einstein.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

I am at a loss

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Man is in the doors
Man something woman, diagonally downwards (e2: yeah the middle one is like tabletop)
Man on the left of something
Man up and to the left of woman, three somethings below (bottom character looks familiar e: yeah it's bed, that's what I thought)

I'm gonna take a stab at loss.jpg
I always thought the nurse in panel 2 was a man but looking again I guess not

simplefish fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 21, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Left bottom is a man with a doctor. Bottom right above bed is the compound word for miscarriage.

My favorite detail is the positioning of the characters.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ceciltron posted:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Dude, I don't know a single drat character of that language, and it's still blazingly obvious it loss.jpg. It's glorious

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Bajaj posted:

I just finished one of the lamest probations I've ever had. I guess ole Gene figured out who I am and was making up for lost time. I know you're reading this!

genesplicer is a really bad moderator. which is sad because he's a pretty decent poster but i guess power corrupts and all that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

McGavin posted:

It's like how in Japan objects that have reached their 100th birthday become alive and self-aware, but in China they hit 6 months, collapse, and die.

Poor ol' sign, thought of scooters and died.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
A student today told me, "America has 100 years of history. China has ten thousand years of history!" He seemed really :colbert: about it, too. I just made him math up 2017 - 1607 and went, "is that more than 100?" Then we practiced more than/less than/equal to.

I don't miss teaching kids older than 10 at all.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bajaj did the flauting stop?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

A student today told me, "America has 100 years of history. China has ten thousand years of history!" He seemed really :colbert: about it, too. I just made him math up 2017 - 1607 and went, "is that more than 100?" Then we practiced more than/less than/equal to.

I don't miss teaching kids older than 10 at all.

Just going forget about the Native Americans and such?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

FillInTheBlank posted:

Just going forget about the Native Americans and such?

*to

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Natives have lived in America for 12,000 years, so America has 12,000 years of history. Please respect America's history or you will hurt the feelings of the American people.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

*sensually racists at u*

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Someone itt explain how a person can clip their nails with a nail clipper for nearly an hour straight.

It shouldn't be possible, there couldn't be any nail left at the 10 minute mark. And why do they wait until they're on the bus to do so

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

value-brand cereal posted:

Someone itt explain how a person can clip their nails with a nail clipper for nearly an hour straight.

It shouldn't be possible, there couldn't be any nail left at the 10 minute mark. And why do they wait until they're on the bus to do so

What bus takes an hour

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

serious norman posted:

What bus takes an hour

most busses in a chinese city during rush hour, especially if you work near "first ring road" and live on like "fifth ring road"

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

angel opportunity posted:

most busses in a chinese city during rush hour, especially if you work near "first ring road" and live on like "fifth ring road"

Would guess an intercity bus. To be fair I've been on a 36hrs bus ride from Barcelona to Venice

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
A reminder:

quote:

In the 17th century, the idea of a spherical Earth, now considerably advanced by Western astronomy, ultimately spread to Ming China, when Jesuit missionaries, who held high positions as astronomers at the imperial court, successfully challenged the Chinese belief that the Earth was flat and square.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Crosspost from the Military Food Thread

chitoryu12 posted:

Chinese Ration (Type 13)

Last year, we got to see the 2010 model of the PLA's ration, and it mostly came up wanting apart from a delicious moon cake. In 2013, the ration was redesigned with a brown bag and some new components. How does it stand up to the original?

Well, for the first time in military food history, it actually got worse.

The bag is little different from the Type 10 other than being brown instead of green.

Google Translate continues to be Google Translate.

There's some simple heating instructions on the back. Notice how the diagram uses an old Chinese canteen design instead of the more modern ones, which resemble NATO canteens.

On the work kitchen table, you see the entire contents of the ration. This is extremely sparse compared to most other countries, with even less food than the already weak Type 10.

There are two entree bags, which come already packed in the flameless ration heater and wrapped in a sort of foam insulating bag.

See that dust? I have no idea what it is, but both entree bags were coated in it. Even after I wiped it off, it returned after heating. I have some serious concerns.

Removed from the heater, these are covered in dust. What the hell?

The bags generate quite a bit of steam when cooking, far more than an American MRE.

Regardless of the ingredients, these were some of the blandest meals I've encountered. But they had a bigger problem, one which requires me to provide you with video evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSyzEeXjF4

I've never encountered a ration entree so hard as to require chopping. It comes out of the heater practically feeling like there's a solid coating over it. It's a downright chore to try and get bite-sized pieces out of this bullshit.

This is your entire accessory pack: a spoon and a napkin.

The only side dish is this tiny little pack of chopped pickled cucumbers, which would be better used as a topping with how small the portion is.

The powdered beverage has a similar gross malty taste as the previous one, and I dumped most of it out. Amazingly, that tiny little bag it comes with is meant to be a portable cup! I can't imagine anyone but a ninja being able to mix and drink from that flimsy thing without spilling it everywhere.

And...that's it. Nothing else. Four items.

----------------

This is the most pathetic showing I've ever seen, and I've eaten loving cat food from Kazakhstan. I can't imagine even a small Chinese soldier getting sufficient food for a day of combat from this. It's deficient in virtually every category, and would be deficient in every category if it didn't include a heater.

I'm also 99% sure that powder on the bags is carcinogenic.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

serious norman posted:

What bus takes an hour

A bus that gets caught in weekend traffic AND a car accident in the middle of an intersection so that cops gotta do their arm wavy nonsense to tell idiot dummies to stop staring at the ambulance and loving drive on.

But no worries no one died, afaik. It's merely driving with various Asian characteristics and lack of a brake pedal.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
There's that classic Taiwanese "lunchbox" where they jam rice into bamboo and that is always so solid you basically have to take bites out of it with your teeth. So this is maybe deliberate?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://i.imgur.com/oJTg8kk.gifv

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemonade with Chinese characteristics.

chitoryu12 posted:

Regardless of the ingredients, these were some of the blandest meals I've encountered. But they had a bigger problem, one which requires me to provide you with video evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSyzEeXjF4

I've never encountered a ration entree so hard as to require chopping. It comes out of the heater practically feeling like there's a solid coating over it. It's a downright chore to try and get bite-sized pieces out of this bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcE0aAhbVFc

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
It doesn't matter, they will never put their military in a situation that will require them to use field rations anyway.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
How do Chinese soldiers stack up to the rest of the world, anyway? Are they given halfway-decent training or is just marching in formation and shoving civilians? Are their special forces worth writing home about?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Natives have lived in America for 12,000 years, so America has 12,000 years of history. Please respect America's history or you will hurt the feelings of the American people.

Natives have actually lived in the Americas for a while longer than that--there's human settlements in Chile dated to about 16,000 years and the current thinking is people started crossing between 20 and 30,000 years ago. :eng101:

When I've taught American history the first third of the class is all before a single white person even shows up. The students who pay attention are amazed at the pyramids in Peru many thousands of years older than anything in China. Also, to their credit, they never claim China is the oldest civilization. Usually they think it's Egypt.

I don't know what's happening here or why but I'm impressed.

Fantastic Flyer posted:

How do Chinese soldiers stack up to the rest of the world, anyway? Are they given halfway-decent training or is just marching in formation and shoving civilians? Are their special forces worth writing home about?

They're really bad. Their training is 95% how to put down riots/internal rebellion and none of that training is good, either. Bullets are expensive so you get to fire five shots a year at the range, that kind of thing.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Not sure, from what I know they did a big refit after desert storm and havent gone out in force since.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The PLA went through two major shocks, first in 1979 when they performed embarrassingly badly in the Sino-Vietnamese War because it turns out invading Vietnam sucks (who would have thought), which led to reforms to infantry training and equipment, and another in 1991. China, like many observers, was surprised at exactly how quickly Iraq's army folded under the American invasion, and since Chinese equipment and doctrine was broadly similar to Iraq's at the time, the PLA became concerned that, in the event of a conflict with the US or a US ally, their forces would be at a disadvantage. This led to a lot of weapons programs to bring their equipment up to higher standards (especially with regard to armored divisions and air defense). It's hard to assess how far they've come because we haven't seen them in action recently.

A lot of the military is geared towards riot suppression and public order, as people have noted, especially after Tienanmen made it clear that political loyalty was one of the most important traits for a PLA trooper to have.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Fantastic Flyer posted:

What does your heart tell you?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

Bullets are expensive so you get to fire five shots a year at the range, that kind of thing.

how can bullets be so expensive when everything else is cheap? is it because they can't really cut corners by using cheap metal or less gunpowder? legit curious.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ladron posted:

how can bullets be so expensive when everything else is cheap? is it because they can't really cut corners by using cheap metal or less gunpowder? legit curious.

I'm pretty sure Chinese ammunition is already as cheap as it can be. Ammo costs get expensive when you're buying enough for whole divisions, and since it's relatively adjustable compared to the fixed costs of bases and people it's a simple way to save money.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

also because party official failson officers are grifting the gently caress out of your budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pirate Radar posted:

The PLA went through two major shocks, first in 1979 when they performed embarrassingly badly in the Sino-Vietnamese War because it turns out invading Vietnam sucks (who would have thought),
Fun fact: if you ask random Vietnamese citizens about "the war", this is the war that they think of. Part of why the average opinion of the US in Vietnam is relatively high.

• Locked thread