Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I found an infinity ladder once. Senua just kept climbing up and up and I saw the entire map. Then she fell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Gonna grab a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD next week and a dock along with it and do the HD transfer thing, I will not need to de-authorize this hd+ps4 combo for each account, right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MrLonghair posted:

Gonna grab a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD next week and a dock along with it and do the HD transfer thing, I will not need to de-authorize this hd+ps4 combo for each account, right?

Just use it externally and save the hassle

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Posted this in the actual game thread but I figure it's worth posting here as well.

I never really played Shadow of Mordor beyond like 5 minutes at a friend's house years ago and even though I'm not a Lord of the Rings guy per se, it seemed fun and the new one looks interesting. In reading and watching a lot of reviews of Shadow of War, many seem to say it refines a lot of the first game but also bloats it and there is all the loot crate stuff.

Which do you all recommend a I play? The first game or second? I don't really care much for story, so that's not all that important to me, if that matters. The fortress stuff sounds neat but it seems like SoW has a lot of confusing and/or unnecessary stuff. I figure this is the best place to ask.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Posted this in the actual game thread but I figure it's worth posting here as well.

I never really played Shadow of Mordor beyond like 5 minutes at a friend's house years ago and even though I'm not a Lord of the Rings guy per se, it seemed fun and the new one looks interesting. In reading and watching a lot of reviews of Shadow of War, many seem to say it refines a lot of the first game but also bloats it and there is all the loot crate stuff.

Which do you all recommend a I play? The first game or second? I don't really care much for story, so that's not all that important to me, if that matters. The fortress stuff sounds neat but it seems like SoW has a lot of confusing and/or unnecessary stuff. I figure this is the best place to ask.

The second one is way better. I don’t think there is much point in playing the first one anymore.

The story is poo poo in both games anyway.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Hellblade can be a bit janky. I didn’t have any problems myself, but at a friends she managed to drop the main character out of world and turn her sword invisible and other stuff.

I've managed to trigger a whole lot of dialogue when it's not supposed to. The game really doesn't expect you to backtrack or look for the lore stones.

Anyway, I beat it. Pretty nice ending section, even if I would've liked there to be a little more of it. Don't know what, I just felt it was missing something to make it really memorable. Still enjoyed the game overall.

I first thought the narrator was supposed to be Senua after she 'died' and became a new person. But the ending seems to suggest otherwise. Any idea what the narrator's deal is? Is it just the calmer, stronger version of the voices? It was also strange how Druth just kinda disappeared from the story after the first trials. I suppose finding the lore stones addresses that a little, but it will be a while before I collect them. I missed three 😠

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 21, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you can find the first one cheap then go for that, if you can't then you may as well go for the sequel. :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Real hurthling! posted:

Just use it externally and save the hassle

External is the hassle. Standard PS4, even with a hub there are not enough USB slots, then there's space, comfort, moving things around, and getting an additional batch of failure points in the chain.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 21, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
After thinking about it, I wouldn't mind a sequel to Hellblade where a slightly more stable Senua goes to ruin some vikings' day. I appreciated how the game did away with the romanticized portrayal of vikings and their 'travels'.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

MrLonghair posted:

External is the hassle. Standard PS4, even with a hub there are not enough USB slots, then there's space, comfort, moving things around, and getting an additional batch of failure points in the chain.

What are you doing with your USB ports, I have one for the external and one for lego dimensions and never needed to disconnect either. Never had any issues with loading or data. Compare that to downloading a couple hundred gigs of stuff.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

What are you doing with your USB ports, I have one for the external and one for lego dimensions and never needed to disconnect either. Never had any issues with loading or data. Compare that to downloading a couple hundred gigs of stuff.

Mouse, keyboard, soundcard for better mic i/o, psvr, usb memory, Move charging, controller charging, etc.

No problem downloading terabytes for me as long as PSN behaves.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Let's just go back to your original argument of "bunch of failure points in the chain", you are already daisy chaining a million things into a console meant for like 4 official ones, you probably shouldn't be opening one up.
Chances are it's plugged into this.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I hate externals. I've never liked the idea that I'm playing games off a thing that I could just disconnect in a second and much prefer having everything be one complete unit. It's really easy to swap internal HDDs on a PS4, and PS4 Pro made it drat near PS3-tier easy to do so. Having 2TB of games on my Pro at my fingertips without having to carry around or take care of a second piece of equipment is a great feeling.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

revolther posted:

Let's just go back to your original argument of "bunch of failure points in the chain", you are already daisy chaining a million things into a console meant for like 4 official ones, you probably shouldn't be opening one up.
Chances are it's plugged into this.

Did I piss in your cornflakes and forget about it :confused:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

It was real easy to plug in a hard drive to the USB port and turn on external storage and never think about it or do a single thing different since then, I don't why this is so freaky

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spLNPr7tF6I

I completely lost it watching this video, holy poo poo I need to play more this game.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do PS+ memberships go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I can't remember and I'm out of Plus.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Guillermus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spLNPr7tF6I

I completely lost it watching this video, holy poo poo I need to play more this game.

I've been playing it and I'm not sure why he's not kidnapping all those citizens to work on the big shell, the point if the game is to kidnap citizens

Moooooore ciiitizeeeeenssss

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Housh posted:

Do PS+ memberships go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? I can't remember and I'm out of Plus.

They do go on sale from time to time. I remember 4 or 5 years ago getting one for $30 on black friday, but I dont remember seeing a deal last year.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

It was real easy to plug in a hard drive to the USB port and turn on external storage and never think about it or do a single thing different since then, I don't why this is so freaky

Do you notice any slowness/choppiness/other bad effects when playing a game that’s running from an external HD? Asking for a friend...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Klisejo posted:

They do go on sale from time to time. I remember 4 or 5 years ago getting one for $30 on black friday, but I dont remember seeing a deal last year.

That particular deal hasn't existed in a quite a while. More so since they upped the price.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fairly certain they were $40 last year on black Friday, that's when I renewed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Keep an eye on this thread and the Coupons subform. Anytime I see a Plus card for less than $50, I'll snag one.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

blackguy32 posted:

I agree with you on that. I beat the game and I think I only redid about 1 or 2 of the really fun ones. I remember some of them being large pains in the rear end that relied on the AI to cooperate with you to beat them.

On a separate totally unrelated note, I was listening to the Deus Ex soundtracks and where did that game go wrong? It's a pretty solid game, but I remember losing interest with it, which was weird because I think I binge gamed through Human Revolution. There was just something that I hated about Mankind Divided that I can't put my finger on. I even read the prequel book that really didn't tell you much about what's going on in the game.

MD sold half a story and it pissed a bunch of people off.

I love Deus Ex and am pretty upset it went out like that. Jensen is a drat cool protagonist

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Harlock posted:

Fairly certain they were $40 last year on black Friday, that's when I renewed.

That's what they usually for now yes, but back in 2013 they were available for 30 as Klisejo says.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've got a 500gb ps4 and never had any problems with space? If I run out of space I just delete a game ive finished cuz its not likely that I'll play it again anyway? 🤔

What on earth would you need a 2tb drive for

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

fridge corn posted:

I've got a 500gb ps4 and never had any problems with space? If I run out of space I just delete a game ive finished cuz its not likely that I'll play it again anyway? 🤔

because you can fit roughly 8 games on a 500gb hard drive and some people dont want to redownload games constantly

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

fridge corn posted:

Some games are huge. The biggest culprits I can remember are Arkham Knight, Doom, Wolfenstein: TNO, and GTA V. Those take up anywhere from 40 to 60 each.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

FFXV is up to 68 gigs now

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If there was any drive on the business side for those few huge PS4 games to use less data, could they shed a lot of gigabytes and not be that different to the player?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Battlefield 1 with all DLC uses 100gb, Doom 2016 is around 77gb. For someone like me that likes switching games constantly, I couldn't stay with just 500gb.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Any of the JP goons got any first impressions on that City Shrouded in Shadow tokusatsu civilian game? I'm not usually someone who imports games but I'm considering it if no localization announcements come.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

If there was any drive on the business side for those few huge PS4 games to use less data, could they shed a lot of gigabytes and not be that different to the player?

The reason they use use so much space is because they use uncompressed assets. It's generally faster to load them that way on a console because you're not losing time decompressing model assets and then loading them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Any of the JP goons got any first impressions on that City Shrouded in Shadow tokusatsu civilian game? I'm not usually someone who imports games but I'm considering it if no localization announcements come.
I have it. Unfortunately it is a more or less an unmitigated wreck. It has all the problems of previous games, horrific frame rate and janky controls and stuff, but also no sense of peril due to no water/heat/whatever dwindling resource, and also no exploration or inventory management. It's just a series of very cramped areas where you have to do something to escape and sometimes push the square button to dodge a monster attack or something. I regret buying it. I only hope my 8900 yen goes to making 4 better.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have it. Unfortunately it is a more or less an unmitigated wreck. It has all the problems of previous games, horrific frame rate and janky controls and stuff, but also no sense of peril due to no water/heat/whatever dwindling resource, and also no exploration or inventory management. It's just a series of very cramped areas where you have to do something to escape and sometimes push the square button to dodge a monster attack or something. I regret buying it. I only hope my 8900 yen goes to making 4 better.

That's a shame, it looked like exactly my poo poo.

There are other games in this? This was the first I had seen of any type of game like this, I'll have to check out the others.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Trojan Kaiju posted:

That's a shame, it looked like exactly my poo poo.

There are other games in this? This was the first I had seen of any type of game like this, I'll have to check out the others.
It’s a spin-off of the Disaster Report games. I assumed it was one of those just with giant monsters and robots also, but it dumps everything that’s good about those games in exchange for giant monsters and robots that you sometimes need to dodge with the square button.

Edit: it looked like exactly my poo poo too, and unlike anything else. I’m so disappointed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The load times in Prey remind me of trying to run Bioshock on my ancient PC with half a gig of RAM back in like 2007

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The load times in Prey remind me of trying to run Bioshock on my ancient PC with half a gig of RAM back in like 2007

In MY day, we wrote custom autoexec.bat files for each game, carefully using the 'loadhigh' command to shove as much of the mouse driver, CD drive (three cheers for mscdex.exe,) and so on, into high memory, so the base 640k was still available, so Wing Commander 2 would load the add on speech files to play out of your soundblaster, and the lip flaps on the cut scenes wouldn't be in super slow motion.

Hell, I remember playing Wing Commander 3 on a 386, and the game would take a good ten to twenty minutes to transition in and out of the flight sim. Really sucked on missions with videos triggered during flight, like the defense of the Behemoth.

Started replaying FF8 last night, because I wanted to. It was a goddamn technical marvel at the time, on the hardware; I'm still impressed by the transition right at the beginning, when Quistis picks you up from the infirmary, you both walk down the hall, down the next hall, and boom, suddenly the camera pulls out, a CGI starts to play of a swooping pass across the Garden grounds, but they were smart enough to start with the in-game models and transition to the CG-quality ones.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

because there's something wrong with my brain i've wanted to replay FF8 recently too. i think my favorite part about that game is that in order to totally break it you have to do some extremely counter intuitive poo poo, primarily never leveling up and secondarily never healing out of danger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Weavered posted:

Do you notice any slowness/choppiness/other bad effects when playing a game that’s running from an external HD? Asking for a friend...

Never noticed any difference at all