Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

chumbler posted:

Well Senran Kagura apparently has a sizeable female fan base. Though maybe they're there for the hometown.

shot in the dark here, but it could also be that its cast is largely women, all with leading roles and there's a relative dearth of action games, or games in general that do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blank Construct posted:

shot in the dark here, but it could also be that its cast is largely women, all with leading roles and there's a relative dearth of action games, or games in general that do this.

I'm not going to make any real guesses because I've not seen any of them answering why they like it, but that could certainly be a component.

I also do not intend to be making any sort of statement on whether they should or should not like the series. Or whether anyone should or should not, really.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 22, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Simulacra posted:

I'm a big supporter of the hometown

Choose life.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Space dandy is amazing

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Choose life.

No

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I thought it was a cowboy bepop knockoff when I heard about it in 2015 and wrote it off.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hi Baloogan!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
heya

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

Well Senran Kagura apparently has a sizeable female fan base. Though maybe they're there for the hometown.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-09-selling-the-sexualised-senran-kagura-to-the-west

quote:

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of Senran Kagura's success is the audience. One glance at the character art and it's easy to concoct the mental image of a hormonally driven teenage boy pouring hours into these games purely for the titillation - but Fisher reveals that's not the reality.

"A good portion of our fanbase is actually female," he says. "Probably 30% to 40%, for sure. Age-wise, 20 to 25 is the main bracket - not teenagers. Everyone I know who plays the game and likes the series falls within that category. It's a surprising thing."

Blank Construct posted:

i mean if you actually ask anyone who likes the games usually the reason for it is that they like the characters, not just because it fills that role. the series producer runs everything through his wife and the games treat the cast pretty respectfully, and he's recently been receptive to finding ways to make the series appeal to women even more

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 22, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't understand why M.D. Geist is on the suffering chart

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the characters are good and have decent relationships with each other, and since its a kind of trashy game it lets the female characters have traits or visual design elements that a lot of more 'normal' games might not since its not like they have to worry about turning people away

like hikage's big tattoos, or some of the characters just like, actually being really lovely people, or really rough around the edges in ways that a magical girl show or something would try to sand down

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't understand why M.D. Geist is on the suffering chart

it's because he Can't Stop

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

it's because he Can't Stop

He just a soldier...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think I understand Geist's suffering now

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
filling those roles with women allows those stories to be told as they are, and not many games do that.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Well, in the context of earth at least.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I might deserve this, but Dia doesn't...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Baloogan posted:

Space dandy is amazing

paging funkz

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also f u burbo you small Bart bitch

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

wot

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There's a power outage and my flashlight has spooky flickering so I'm going to buy a better one, wish me luck

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't like that md geist song, sorry fellow gamers

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i don't like that md geist song, sorry fellow gamers

I like Violence of the Flame more but the entire soundtrack is really good

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's only crazy game.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Difficult to say how much Kyubey suffered, but not difficult to say he deserved a 200

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I saw the suffering chart months ago and I'm still chuckling about Yuri being where he is.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

there's gotta be at least 3 yuris on that thing

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

this one is cool because i picked up a few shows/manga after going "hm, why is this cute char at 80 sufferring"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Super No Vacancy posted:

there's gotta be at least 3 yuris on that thing

I saw the suffering chart months ago and I'm still chuckling about Joeri being where he is.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Space Flower posted:

this one is cool because i picked up a few shows/manga after going "hm, why is this cute char at 80 sufferring"

worrisome.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Space Flower posted:

where's monika

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Totty deserves way more than a 45.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VostokProgram posted:

There's a power outage and my flashlight has spooky flickering so I'm going to buy a better one, wish me luck

That just means you're too close to the monster

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Who'd have thought that women would like things with lots of female characters with diverse personalities.

Also Moe was the best thing to happen to Touhou. Her art is real good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I... guess it's better with the bottom half

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oh, I hadn't seen cant's new av yet

lmao

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

v

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

here's your hag joke for the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Space dandy is amazing

I liked it , but I was a little disappointed because I expected more ridiculous song and dance numbers.

El Burbo posted:

here's your hag joke for the week

Setz is wonderful.

• Locked thread