Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

similarly redlettermedia’s phantom menace review was in 2009 so they’re coming up on ten years but at least they branched out into new and different things in the meantime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

similarly redlettermedia’s phantom menace review was in 2009 so they’re coming up on ten years but at least they branched out into new and different things in the meantime

Nerd Crew is good.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Nerd Crew is good.

for me, personally, i agree

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowcaster posted:

Very cool.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Toonstruck is so bad

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fallout New Vegas has some problems gut given what it had to build off of it’s a miracle it’s so amazing.

I’m spending my weekend playing Stardew Valley and Fire Emblem Warriors and they both rule, South Park looks like it will be good too. Too bad about Shadow of War.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't say new Vegas is bad, it's the best game of its type, it's just not hard to understand that it's a nerd fantasy goldmine, same with RDR

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like new vegas more than rdr because more than 1/10th of its cast aren't just written to be giant assholes but that's kinda a thing i have with rockstar games in general

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Hellstorm901/status/921905514539290625

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It’s not like New Vegas sold on the level of 3 or 4, and there’s no way it has more of a nerd fanbase than 4 has somehow captured. It’s just an rpg with strong rpg elements.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

somehow the dumbest fuckers possible posted in neogaf and it became a hot take factory of insufferable poo poo, this is an acceptable death

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

It's a lot of really good ideas executed kind of poorly imo

edit: Which results in a pretty good game, but still, the 3D Fallout games are like "half-baked ideas: the video game series"

i enjoyed them when i played them but you're right, every side plot and even the main story felt so anticlimactic. whenever you fix everything, nothing changes and if there even is a climactic sequence, it's scripted in-engine and happens off to the side so by the time you find where it's coming from, it's juuuuust finishing. that seems to be a problem with a lot of bethesda games tbh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It’s not like New Vegas sold on the level of 3 or 4, and there’s no way it has more of a nerd fanbase than 4 has somehow captured. It’s just an rpg with strong rpg elements.

I think that is part of the "obnoxious nerd" appeal, which I will fully admit to contributing to -- New Vegas gets appreciated by people who "really understand RPGs" while the unwashed masses who love the Bethesda ones either can't tell the difference or dislike New Vegas because they are ignorant. Niche appeal breeds haughtiness

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Has Neogaf ever been relevant? This isn't my hot take or anything, I genuinely can't remember a time where Neogaf was a popular and renowned site.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Fallout New Vegas has some problems gut given what it had to build off of it’s a miracle it’s so amazing.

I’m spending my weekend playing Stardew Valley and Fire Emblem Warriors and they both rule, South Park looks like it will be good too. Too bad about Shadow of War.

is Shadow of War actually a bad game or are people just soured by the microtransaction stuff?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have 30 hours in Shadow of War and while it's running out of steam for me in the final (mostly optional) act, I enjoyed my time with it.

No way it's going to crack my top ten list though

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Olive! posted:

Has Neogaf ever been relevant? This isn't my hot take or anything, I genuinely can't remember a time where Neogaf was a popular and renowned site.

Miiverse outlived Neogaf.

Huh.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

is Shadow of War actually a bad game or are people just soured by the microtransaction stuff?

its good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Olive! posted:

for some reason a lot of game industry people used to post there??

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Cowcaster posted:

I LOVE that comment.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The combat and general traversal in Shadow of War is really janky and there isn’t enough orc variety for the number of locations.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think that is part of the "obnoxious nerd" appeal, which I will fully admit to contributing to -- New Vegas gets appreciated by people who "really understand RPGs" while the unwashed masses who love the Bethesda ones either can't tell the difference or dislike New Vegas because they are ignorant. Niche appeal breeds haughtiness

As opposed to the cool Fallout 4 nerds who buy wearable Pip-Boys and Funko Pops.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Olive! posted:

as I mentioned before, I learned of a lot of obscurer indie games from more_badass and toma but they'll post elsewhere I'm sure

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

Groose, the knight lady from TP, and Twinrova. Anyone beyond that is just bonus.

Quoting from the archived hyrule warriors thread

FirstAidKite posted:

It will also let you play as error, agahnim, sahasrahla, chris houlihan, blind, syrup, kaepora gaebora, the shopkeeper that kills you, will wright, saria, nabooru, twinrova, malon, anju, happy mask salesman, dampe, sakon, pierre, mikau, majora, the toilet hand, kamaro, kafei, darmani, keaton, guru-guru, igos du ikana, veran, ralph, fat impa, nayru, farore, din, rosa, onox, maple, ricky, moosh, dimitri, vaati, makar, beedle, ezlo, mutoh, malo, telma, yeta, postman, linebeck, jolene, chancellor cole, alfonzo, byrne, hilda, ravio, yuga, princess styla, sir combsly, gwonam, king harkinian, gaspra, pinkle, and barkle

but not Groose

Meonekton
Oct 26, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

as I mentioned before, I learned of a lot of obscurer indie games from more_badass and toma but they'll post elsewhere I'm sure

Yeah I'm in the same boat too. I used neogaf as a general gaming news aggregate so I'm not sure what to replace it with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hell if you care about seeing them around, try to get them to join this relic of a website. You seem to absolutely love indie output so get them here and make a community out of it!!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Olive! posted:

Most game leaks came from there first.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For good or ill, it was certainly my first stop for video game news. This is gonna be an adjustment.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I literally have never been accosted by anything in terms of loot boxes or microtransaction. I didn't click "Accept" on the first screen to connect to network portions so maybe that did it? There[s absolutely zero reason to even say Yes to it anyway. SOW was mainly used as a scapegoat for a problem that's been relevant for years, it's a fine game and the icky stuff is so loving minuscule.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

For good or ill, it was certainly my first stop for video game news. This is gonna be an adjustment.

I sometimes think about where I would talk about games if it weren't on this forum. I assume a lot of people on that site are working through that right now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I sometimes think about where I would talk about games if it weren't on this forum. I assume a lot of people on that site are working through that right now.

Probably Reddit :shepface:

I actually consider going to Reddit sometimes just because I know the communities there can be so much more active, especially when it comes to interaction with actual devs. The layout of the site confuses my old brain too much though.

DLC Inc posted:

I literally have never been accosted by anything in terms of loot boxes or microtransaction. I didn't click "Accept" on the first screen to connect to network portions so maybe that did it? There[s absolutely zero reason to even say Yes to it anyway. SOW was mainly used as a scapegoat for a problem that's been relevant for years, it's a fine game and the icky stuff is so loving minuscule.

Well that's good to know. The lootbox thing is stupid and people should be berating the devs for it though, even if it is easy to ignore. Even without that though I probably wouldn't of bought it just because there are too many other good games for me to fit it into my budget.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyOsyy_nDxU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For all of its faults Something Awful is the only major forum I can stand, if it can even be called a "major forum" anymore beyond historical reasons.

NeoGAF in particular seemed really insufferable to me. Can't say I'm too upset to see it potentially gone.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Where's the gif of the guy who sings this song and it zooms in on his face?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is it true that silent hill origins inexplicably makes lisa a giant rear end in a top hat i don't think i'll get around to that one for a long while

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

is it true that silent hill origins inexplicably makes lisa a giant rear end in a top hat i don't think i'll get around to that one for a long while
Origins is a solid game when its not trying to be a prequel. I always liked the scene with Travis' dad in the motel. But yeah, Lisa and Alessa both act more like assholes in it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 22, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

Just get it for 8 dollars in 2019. Theres no reason to play anything sub legendary this year

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's time to admit the first one wasn't that good and 2014 was just a dire year where people were desperate for games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

It's time to admit the first one wasn't that good and 2014 was just a dire year where people were desperate for games.

Yep

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
new vegas is SO much better than 3 and 4 though that it's the rare case of "the elitist nerds are totally right"

that said, skyrim is about as good as new vegas imo, but for vastly different reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Saint Freak posted:

I like it.

• Locked thread