Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The only kind of pirate bar I'd accept is one which exclusively shows random torrents from the latest iteration of The Pirate Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

A pirate bar sounds like some dire poo poo but anyone who tries to bill a bar as "Corporate" should be taken out back and shot
Combine the two and make it "white collar crime."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

Combine the two and make it "white color crime."

ftfy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i want a bar where johnny depp is cursed to stand in the corner and be jack sparrow forever and ever

i dont want to vist the bar at all

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:laffo:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What type of bar theme is generally acceptable? I guess “British pub” works in America if it’s not super tacky but I can’t really think of anything else other than something really generic like “sports bar” or “punk bar”

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

gay

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

'dive', identifiable by strong cheap well drinks and characters from Tom Waits songs

yeah

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Mexican, Irish, German (usually styled as a Biergarten), French, Welsh... the possibilities are endless, really.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aesop Poprock posted:

What type of bar theme is generally acceptable? I guess “British pub”

Redundant

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Wait, that dude with the terrible fishing show who also got into a lot of bar fights had a board game???

Apparently it was acquired as a giveaway from a network event rather than bought in a store, and just as well.

I never heard about the bar fights, but he was Australian, so that seems a given.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Aesop Poprock posted:

What type of bar theme is generally acceptable? I guess “British pub” works in America if it’s not super tacky but I can’t really think of anything else other than something really generic like “sports bar” or “punk bar”

pool hall

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
My favorite detail of the Captain Dan thread is him being mad that Epic Movie totally ripped them off by also having rapping pirates. Instead of having even a moment of introspection at the fact that his magnum opus was on the level of one of the jokes in a ______ Movie movie.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
rex hunt taught me that it's okay to kiss a non-mammal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chard posted:

'dive', identifiable by strong cheap well drinks and characters from Tom Waits songs

dives are fantastic imo, & also tom waits is

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Guy Mann posted:

My favorite detail of the Captain Dan thread is him being mad that Epic Movie totally ripped them off by also having rapping pirates. Instead of having even a moment of introspection at the fact that his magnum opus was on the level of one of the jokes in a ______ Movie movie.

hahaha gently caress

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

dives are fantastic imo, & also tom waits is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X4N2exOsU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i agree

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNoQWxwOpXA

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
mom waits

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Sort of - someone who knew the bar owners from that episode popped up in the TVIV thread and filled people in on all the lovely stuff the production did behind the scenes, like installing a tap system that was illegal in their state. The host re-styled the bar as "Corporate," targeted at the white collar happy hour crowd, but apparently there weren't any office workers in that area and the whole thing was a disaster.

i wanna read that but i understand if you dont know where it is, wouldnt expect anyone to have a link to a dead thread

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's pretty hard to gently caress up pirate-themed music, you'd think. Alestorm is pretty awesome.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Powaqoatse posted:

hahaha gently caress

Captain Dan flipping through the TV channels one morning, flies into a rage when he sees that Disney's peter pan cartoon for toddlers has rapping pirates in it. That should be him on TV, how dare they pilfer his legacy like this.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Control Volume posted:

anyone who tries to bill a bar as "Corporate" should be taken out back and shot

You have my steel.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
All you need to know about Piratz is that they were $900,000 in debt, and the owner lived in her mothers basement together with her college-age daughter.

$900,000

Nine. Hundred. Thousand. Dollards. Of other peoples money. So that they can play pirate.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Mexican, Irish, German (usually styled as a Biergarten), French, Welsh... the possibilities are endless, really.

i have been to a irish-mexican bar

It was great

FactsAreUseless posted:

Combine the two and make it "white collar crime."

Tbh I think they actually renamed it corporate in part of white collar crime being the new piracy

Also because the owners were people that would sell massive rum bowls with non-well spirits for less than the rum actually cost.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
What is the American take on "British pub" like anyway?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

dont sign your posts.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gum posted:

What is the American take on "British pub" like anyway?

Bailey's, Guiness, servers with questionable accents, lots of wood and stained glass, maybe Rugby on the TV, and bar foods with a twist of the islands (Fish and Crispy Chips! Shepherd's Kobe Pie!)

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I really want to visit a Ye Olde Pub in the USA at some point. I can't imagine how loving bad it is.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ye Olde Cock & Balls

the bartender is dressed like a butler

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The British Bankers Club in Menlo Park, CA was a meat market for cougars and Stanford tadpoles.
The Rose and Crown in downtown Palo Alto had a very British menu and tap.

Neither does the fake British accent.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

TTerrible posted:

I really want to visit a Ye Olde Pub in the USA at some point. I can't imagine how loving bad it is.

British beer company in New England blares country music over the speakers :downs:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

The British Bankers Club in Menlo Park, CA was a meat market for cougars and Stanford tadpoles.

I've been to the Rose and Crown, it felt like a British inspired dive bar which is my poo poo.

Now I regret never visiting British Bankers Club when I was interning out in CA :wiggle:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

LingcodKilla posted:

Wait are you saying the BBC is where old women picked up young dudes?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Wait are you saying the BBC is where old women picked up young dudes?

I thought the BBC was more into old men picking up young girls?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TTerrible posted:

http://maddogs.net/welcome-2/

wood, glass, bad British beer, and sluts

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

http://maddogs.net/welcome-2/

wood, glass, bad British beer, and sluts

Oh wow, it's worse than I could have ever hoped.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TTerrible posted:

Oh wow, it's worse than I could have ever hoped.

to be fair its hard to find a bar in a touristy area like the San Antonio Riverwalk thats not staffed with sluts

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TTerrible posted:

I had an overpriced Ploughman's at The Olde English. It was okay, I think? I'll buy you a round if you ever come up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Standing offer: any PYF goon that comes to my house will get a home-cooked scotch egg, guaranteed