Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

She's one of the most fluidly animated things I've ever seen.

Nevermind, I thought the link was for that other episode with the babysitter. One of the first season's.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

there's more animation in that 5 minutes than a season of the more recent stuff.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Why is everyone talking about the gay horse episode without mentioning that the reason bart has to fix a gay horse is because everyone thinks he got his art teacher pregnant?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why is everyone talking about the gay horse episode without mentioning that the reason bart has to fix a gay horse is because everyone thinks he got his art teacher pregnant?

Look, that's a tale as old as time. Everyone already knows it by heart.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

ohhhhhhh okay in context it makes much more sense, thanks!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

More and more evidence that The Simpsons is 100% created by an AI

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

More and more evidence that The Simpsons is 100% created by an AI

AI Jean :v:

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Sunday:

The plot follows Homer losing his fingers after an accident while holding fireworks. Behind on his work and threatened with the possibility of dismissal, he asks Marge to catch up on his work for him, to which she agrees. However, he repeatedly attempts to seduce her, eventually succeeding, distracting her from the work. Meanwhile, Bart begins dating a girl named Julia who, much to Lisa's delight, lacks general knowledge and intelligence. Guest starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 20, 2017

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

astrollinthepork posted:

Sunday:

The plot follows Homer losing his fingers after an accident while holding fireworks. Behind on his work and threatened with the possibility of dismissal, he asks Marge to catch up on his work for him, to which she agrees. However, he repeatedly attempts to seduce her, eventually succeeding, distracting her from the work. Meanwhile, Bart begins dating a woman named Julia who, much to Lisa's delight, lacks general knowledge and intelligence. Guest starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus

...Lucky there's a Family Guy!

E:

It's an episode of Family Guy :ssh:

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 20, 2017

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Rule of thumb: if an episode of anything advertises that it's guest-starring someone, it's bad

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I’m remembering the one joke where it’s like a movie trailer about a soccer mummy and at one point they say “oh no, he’s getting a boner!” And then you hear a ripping, and as a kid I felt it was the first time that I felt like a joke really didn’t fit within the general feel of the show and i found it more gross than funny

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

well why not posted:

The Simpsons currently looks like they took the original busted-looking but charming Klasky Csupo poo poo the first few seasons was on, and then squished it into the same software that Family Guy uses.

I hear poo poo like this a lot, do people really think the Simpsons animation is all CGI? It's pretty obviously still hand drawn, just on Wacom cintiq touchscreens instead of paper.

But it still looks like poo poo compared to the old episodes.

Edit: Okay that dancing horse was definitely 3D rendered.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 21, 2017

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I’m remembering the one joke where it’s like a movie trailer about a soccer mummy and at one point they say “oh no, he’s getting a boner!” And then you hear a ripping, and as a kid I felt it was the first time that I felt like a joke really didn’t fit within the general feel of the show and i found it more gross than funny

Wasn't that movie supposed to be bad though?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It has like 3 keyframes per scene, like low budget 80s anime

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah the point of that joke was look at this horrible poo poo that movies have become, not laugh at this funny thing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

Rule of thumb: if an episode of anything advertises that it's guest-starring someone, it's bad

the Danny DeVito episode was Good

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

well why not posted:

I don't think I'd call Family Guy's animation particularly lazy, they do go to pretty extreme lengths when they do their action sequences. When it's just two people talking, yeah, there's not a lot going on, but it's no worse than any other show. The highs are higher. I hate the show, but it's animation isn't that bad.

Weirdly Archer has probably 1/6 the budget per episode (A Family Guy episode costs $2m) but looks so much better. The creators definitely know how to work around their limits, and at least early on, it looks slicker and slicker by the episode. Once they get the hang of their tools and limitations the show starts to look pretty good. It feels like they actually bother to storyboard that show, and it helps.

The Simpsons currently looks like they took the original busted-looking but charming Klasky Csupo poo poo the first few seasons was on, and then squished it into the same software that Family Guy uses.

i don't really like the look of archer, but they really nailed the style they were working towards

conversely that horse literally looks like something out of family guy. that's not even a positive or negative statement, it just looks like something copypasted out of a family guy episode

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It was, but it still felt out of place to me

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
There was always a limited degree of sexual innuendo but when they started saying wang and wiener all subtlety had vanished

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

There was always a limited degree of sexual innuendo but when they started saying wang and wiener all subtlety had vanished

For me I think it was whatever episode where Bart says something about a medical issue making his testicles gigantic and it turns out it’s oranges and marge just puts them in his and Lisa’s lunch bags. I remember being like 11 or 12 and thinking it was kind of weird they would have bart specifically talk about his testicles

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

well why not posted:

Weirdly Archer has probably 1/6 the budget per episode (A Family Guy episode costs $2m) but looks so much better. The creators definitely know how to work around their limits, and at least early on, it looks slicker and slicker by the episode. Once they get the hang of their tools and limitations the show starts to look pretty good. It feels like they actually bother to storyboard that show, and it helps.
the last couple seasons of Archer had a bigger animation budget, and boy does it show. the Season 6 episode where they recreate the car chase from some '60s movie i don't remember the name of looks really smooth

Aesop Poprock posted:

For me I think it was whatever episode where Bart says something about a medical issue making his testicles gigantic and it turns out it’s oranges and marge just puts them in his and Lisa’s lunch bags. I remember being like 11 or 12 and thinking it was kind of weird they would have bart specifically talk about his testicles
that was the season 11 episode where bart takes some ADHD medication and starts getting paranoid that Major League Baseball is spying on him. the episode ends with a cameo appearance by Mark McGwire

ya know, that sounds just as bad as the average simpsons episode these days

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You know I've waded through some of the S10-13 trash recently and it just shows how far the current version has fallen, but it sort of almost resembled the Simpsons as I remembered it better than I expected.

I mean it's super lazy, but the recent stuff feels like they make it to spite you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the sleeping with the fishes joke i think is my favourite simpsons joke

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The thing to remember about seasons 10 - 15 is that the decline was pretty slow and even bad episodes will still have some pretty decent jokes. Good episodes just got rarer and rarer until the series fell into its current state.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

why the gently caress is bart dating girls on the regular? even when you factor in the seasons when it slowly declined into what it is now, i can only think of two times where that was a plot point: the season 6 episode where he falls for Rev. Lovejoy's daughter, and the episode where he falls for some girl and the episode ends with them in canada. he was strictly anti-girls

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bart dating girls would make sense if they had aged the characters, but they didn't so it doesn't.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

sweet geek swag posted:

Bart dating girls would make sense if they had aged the characters, but they didn't so it doesn't.

They’ve had like two episodes now where Bart has almost got married. One where he was pretending to be someone’s baby daddy. It’d make sense if they’d aged him to 16 or so, but he’s ten.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
To be fair, none of the kid characters ever really acted age-appropriate. That would not be very interesting.

I liked the Simpsons in the 90s. Sometimes you have to ask yourself if something really changed that much or if it's just you with age. This thread inspired me to watch a few old episodes and I wouldn't consider all of them exactly timeless classics either. It's a funny show on TV, not sure what one can expect. That being said, some things mentioned here really sound painful.

If I'd be one of the voice actors I'd quit and finally enjoy retirement. You can't tell me they need the money for anything. I'd wager a guess and say it just belongs to their routine now and they don't really want to be retired.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

The thing to remember about seasons 10 - 15 is that the decline was pretty slow and even bad episodes will still have some pretty decent jokes. Good episodes just got rarer and rarer until the series fell into its current state.

The decline wasn't slow at all... there's a pretty significant nosedive in the transition from season 8 to 9. 10 is worse than 9, 11 is worse than 10, and Season 12 is where most fans at the time decided to stop making a point to watch new episodes.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Remember when Grampa Simpson went looking for assisted suicide?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Police Automaton posted:

To be fair, none of the kid characters ever really acted age-appropriate. That would not be very interesting.

I liked the Simpsons in the 90s. Sometimes you have to ask yourself if something really changed that much or if it's just you with age. This thread inspired me to watch a few old episodes and I wouldn't consider all of them exactly timeless classics either. It's a funny show on TV, not sure what one can expect. That being said, some things mentioned here really sound painful.

If I'd be one of the voice actors I'd quit and finally enjoy retirement. You can't tell me they need the money for anything. I'd wager a guess and say it just belongs to their routine now and they don't really want to be retired.

Almost every single episode from seasons 2-8 (8's a little shaky) is either a stone cold classic comedy or at least has 5-6 absolutely brilliant jokes. I don't think any other television show at that level of output comes close frankly.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The decline wasn't slow at all... there's a pretty significant nosedive in the transition from season 8 to 9. 10 is worse than 9, 11 is worse than 10, and Season 12 is where most fans at the time decided to stop making a point to watch new episodes.
Yeah I'd personally make the transition at season 10... 9 had some dire episodes but still had some fun ones. 10 though? It was the first time there was a season with basically nothing redeemable in it. I know it was the time I stopped bothering to watch the show, and my family and most other people I know gave up within another season or two of that yeah.

And that was almost 20 years ago. :psyduck:

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Jose posted:

has anyone suggested it was when homer went from being really fat for an american to barely overweight?

Please don't weight shame. You'll make the fatties comfort eat.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sweet geek swag posted:

yeah they did the opposite and made up some weird poo poo about homer and marge growing up in the 90's

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SelenicMartian posted:

Remember when Grampa Simpson went looking for assisted suicide?

what season was he watching when this happened

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

I think season 11 was better than 10.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

This is true. 11 is the last season I own and 12 was the point that in real time we consciously stopped recording them/making an effort to watch them as a family. There was just too much secondary embarrassment as we all watched something we once really liked turn to poo poo and none of us wanted to be associated with it anymore.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
after season 13 is when I had my Bart tattoo laser removed

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's quite telling when the senile old guy is the voice of reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Dollar_Abie

quote:

L.A. puts forth an anti-Springfield video hosted by Rob Reiner and features a song sung by celebrity impersonators that ends with them singing "Springfield Blows"

The town gets "Meltmania" and "Downs syndrome"

Grampa is depressed and decides to seek out a doctor called Dr. Egoyan who will help him commit suicide with a suicide booth called a "diePod".

One bull takes the elevator up to the press box, and attacks the announcer, who is a parody of Spanish-language soccer announcer Andres Cantor.

quote:

In the "Springfield Blows" music video, Jar Jar Binks, Michael Jackson, Keith Richards, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are seen.

quote:

The episode was rated M in Australia for animal abuse, abuse to the elderly and themes of assisted suicide.