Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

qutius posted:

The last big butt I did, which was around 10 pounds or so didn't stall either. Quickest butt ever, and turned out pretty drat good too!

I guess this is so.
Had a buddy go check for me by moving the probe and confirming with a instant probe check.
Butt is indeed at 197 without a stall.

The 5lb brisket has hit the stall at about 10am and is just starting the climb from it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The stall is caused by collagen conversion and if your meat doesn’t stall it means it doesn’t have any collagen because it was grown in a vat in a Monsanto laboratory. hth

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bewbies posted:

i'm a little worried about doing a packer brisket as I've only done one and while it was REALLY GODDAMN GOOD my trim job was amateur at best. so, choices are: trimmed choice flats for 6.99/lb, or prime packer for 3.99/lb. any strong opinions on which way I should go?

Everybody else already said it. I don't know why you'd even buy a flat for more money than a prime packer from costco ($3/lb here). So much meat, and so good. I just trim off as much fat as I can without cutting into the meat (which I still do in a few spots anyway). Nobody cares or notices because the huge fatty side is on the bottom, amazing every time.

I bought a 15 lb packer this weekend and measured that I cut off almost 4 pounds of fat before throwing it in the smoker. $12 in the garbage.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 18, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

scrubs season six posted:

The stall is caused by collagen conversion and if your meat doesn’t stall it means it doesn’t have any collagen because it was grown in a vat in a Monsanto laboratory. hth

Sign me up for some of dat vat meat.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I thought the stall was caused by evaporative cooling on the meat keeping the internal temp low?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
That could be part of it, but my guess is that it’s related to the equivalent of a phase transition in the meat or some constituent of the meat. It’s probably a number of complex reactions where one or many things turn into another thing, but it needs to achieve some activation energy first.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

That could be part of it, but my guess is that it’s related to the equivalent of a phase transition in the meat or some constituent of the meat. It’s probably a number of complex reactions where one or many things turn into another thing, but it needs to achieve some activation energy first.

I thought it had been settled that it's evaporative cooling, which is why wrapping it works.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Evaporative cooling will always be a factor, but also a constant. I'm not saying that is not it, but I am more inclined to believe that it is related to what I have always heard, which is the phase change like Lawnie said. I'm like, at least 60% certain that's it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I just find it hard to believe that the surface of the meat, which is more or less at equilibrium with the environment at 225*F, gets very wet at all. Like the previous poster said, I presume there is some measurable, but constant, effect. I’m curious, though, so I’ll have a look around tonight for anything more concrete.

Foiling may help overcome the crutch by drastically increasing the humidity of the immediate environment, which makes for much more efficient heat transfer.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Here's the amazing ribs scientific article about the stall and why it happens. Start at "Dr. Blonder"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

RisqueBarber posted:

Here's the amazing ribs scientific article about the stall and why it happens. Start at "Dr. Blonder"

Okay, that was an interesting read, although I’m confused by this bit near the end as it’s exactly the phenomenon they’re testing against that is demonstrated in this example.

quote:

Apparently the stall is not unique to barbecue. Blonder has proven it can happen in baked goods. He points out that when we put ice cubes in a pan and turn on the heat, the ice remains 32°F and the water from the melting ice remains close to 32°F until all the ice is melted. This is a form of stall. Then the water in the pan rises to 212°F, the boiling point, and stalls there until the water is all gone, regardless of how much energy you apply to the pan. Same phenomenon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lawnie posted:

Okay, that was an interesting read, although I’m confused by this bit near the end as it’s exactly the phenomenon they’re testing against that is demonstrated in this example.

Yeah that's exactly what a phase change is. :wtc:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Carillon posted:

I thought the stall was caused by evaporative cooling on the meat keeping the internal temp low?

It is, but I couldn't figure out a way to turn that into a dumb joke.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Larrymer posted:

Yeah that's exactly what a phase change is. :wtc:

I've read that article before and am not going to read it again now but I think the question is of whether it's a simple phase change of water or a "phase change" of proteins/fats/Monsanto collagen binders/whatevers.

And the conclusion was that it's just water. It's evaporating which is obviously still a phase change so maybe they worded poo poo badly in some parts of the article or something.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what some people are saying and I shouldn't drink so much.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

...and I shouldn't drink so much.
Get out, or get help. There are no bad drinks here.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

I've read that article before and am not going to read it again now but I think the question is of whether it's a simple phase change of water or a "phase change" of proteins/fats/Monsanto collagen binders/whatevers.

And the conclusion was that it's just water. It's evaporating which is obviously still a phase change so maybe they worded poo poo badly in some parts of the article or something.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what some people are saying and I shouldn't drink so much.

Texas Crutch, or not to Texas Crutch. That is the question.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm probably asking in a biased thread, but if you're new to BBQ as a whole... I'm guessing you'd guys would recommend a smoker over a grill?

Our new place has a wooden deck out the back that I know used to have a grill on it, and the wife agrees we should get something out there too. I've always let other people cook whenever possible as it's not something I'm generally good at, but with my fondness for meats I'd like to give it a shot. Back home in the UK, BBQ generally used to mean attacking bad food with charcoal to burn it on the outside while the inside stayed cold while fending off the rain. I'm glad things have changed there, but now I'm in the US I feel I have to do it right!

My wife is more fussy about what she eats than me, but does like chicken and pulled pork. I'll eat pretty much anything that used to walk around, and slow cooked pork and brisket are definitely high on my list.

At $300 the Akorn Komado Kooker (https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller...eywords=Smokers) looks well liked and probably about the top of our budget, does it sound like the right choice for someone new to this? It sounds like it can grill too, but I'm guessing it's better at one thing over the other? Amazon seems to like it, but I've learnt from other ventures that Amazon users can overhype things. Any advice appreciated!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Some people take issue with kamado grills in general, but I have one and the Akorn is a great choice in that it can hold temps around 225*F (although it may take a little fiddling or modding to get it rock solid) but it can also grill at temps up to 800* or 900*. I recently got an electric smoker and I intend to eventually get a gas grill for weeknight grilling, so nowadays my Akorn is mainly used for pizza or searing steaks, but if you wanted one do-it-all type thing it's a great choice.

If you get one, I would highly recommend also investing in some nomex tape to replace the factory gaskets. Also read up here on the best way to light the coals to maintain low temp smoking.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Just chiming in to agree with Mikey. Akorns will do both just fine, but might be require a little more fiddling with it. A dedicated smoker, or dedicated kettle/gas grill are just a little more convenient because they have been designed to do the one thing. If you want to both smoke and grill, and don't want to spend more than $300 the Akorn is about the best option your gonna find.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Awesome, and thanks for the links. How do you find the pizza? Is it comparable to how stone oven ones come out? My wife would definitely be pleased at anyway of doing good Pizza for sure.

There’s a local bbq store here that’s reviewed well but frustratingly don’t put their prices online, but do say the Green Egg is ‘on sale’. Think it’s still gonna be way over budget, and don’t really wanna be the rubes walking into somewhere and get talked into overpaying for stuff we don’t even need.

E: just saw second reply, sounds like it’s a good compromise then for someone like me who doesn’t want to invest tons and wants to try a few different cooking styles out. Cool!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Pizzas can turn out great. You're not gonna get a ton of top heat compared to the heat transfer from the stone, so check your bottoms before you think the top is ready. Get one of these and slide it under the pizza when the bottom is done to keep it from burning while you give the top long enough to finish.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Awesome, thanks again for the tips!

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Yeah, what Doom Rooster said for pizza. I bought some fire bricks and make a raised platform on the grate (like this: |_|_| ) which I set the pizza stone on top of. Doing that moves the whole pizza up closer to the top of the kamado and gets you a little bit more reflective radiation on the top, which helps a bit.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought a kamado specifically because I wanted a charcoal grill (I only had a gas grill) and I wanted to smoke, but at least from my experience they're not that good at grilling. Difficult to be consistent and uses a lot of charcoal. There are things that you can get to make them better (like a grate that drops down closer to the coals) but I gave up and just bought a regular charcoal grill to go along with the kamado. Doing so improved my steak grilling consistency by 1000%. I do miss the ability to crank the thing to 1,000 degrees for searing though. My charcoal grill can't touch the kamado in terms of absolute peak temperature.

But for a one size fits all tool they can't be beat. We particularly love doing pizzas and baking chickens on it when we're not smoking something.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

I bought a kamado specifically because I wanted a charcoal grill (I only had a gas grill) and I wanted to smoke, but at least from my experience they're not that good at grilling. Difficult to be consistent and uses a lot of charcoal. There are things that you can get to make them better (like a grate that drops down closer to the coals) but I gave up and just bought a regular charcoal grill to go along with the kamado. Doing so improved my steak grilling consistency by 1000%. I do miss the ability to crank the thing to 1,000 degrees for searing though. My charcoal grill can't touch the kamado in terms of absolute peak temperature.

But for a one size fits all tool they can't be beat. We particularly love doing pizzas and baking chickens on it when we're not smoking something.

It's great at grilling but you need to get a grate that sits where the smoking stone would sit and put the coals on that, then use the normal grate to cook on.

Edit: I think I got the charcoal grate for a Webber to use on mine.

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 21, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dalstrs posted:

It's great at grilling but you need to get a grate that sits where the smoking stone would sit and put the coals on that, then use the normal grate to cook on.

Edit: I think I got the charcoal grate for a Webber to use on mine.

Yeah, that probably would do it.

I won't be happy until my entire patio is covered with grills though so...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Used the Flame Boss 300 for the first time smoking two huge shoulders starting at about 11:30 AM Friday night and finishing about 4 PM Saturday.

Worked great. Never touched anything until the end when I started fiddling with the top vent and also upped the temp because I was running out of charcoal (I hadn't loaded it completely full because there was a bunch of charcoal left in it from the tri tip I smoked the week before).

The Flame Boss I original got didn't work. Like the control panel was loose inside the housing and it wasn't allowing the temp probe jacks to seat fully so they didn't read right. But I emailed them and they sent me a new one (and a shipping label to return the old one) so even though it seems like their quality control and manufacturing quality is pretty poo poo, it hopefully won't matter since their customer service makes up for it.

The vast majority of the time it was +/- 2 degrees of the set temp and there was really only one spike up to 236 and then down to 218 correcting for it. (the first spike I'm not counting since it hadn't settled in yet and the last ones were me loving with it)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I won't be happy until my entire patio is covered with grills though so...

The only way to roll.

Mikey Purp posted:

Some people take issue with kamado grills in general, but I have one and the Akorn is a great choice in that it can hold temps around 225*F (although it may take a little fiddling or modding to get it rock solid) but it can also grill at temps up to 800* or 900*. I recently got an electric smoker and I intend to eventually get a gas grill for weeknight grilling, so nowadays my Akorn is mainly used for pizza or searing steaks, but if you wanted one do-it-all type thing it's a great choice.

If you get one, I would highly recommend also investing in some nomex tape to replace the factory gaskets. Also read up here on the best way to light the coals to maintain low temp smoking.

Also like to add...get a pack of decent stainless screws (size is probably listed on that site listed above) before assembly. For attaching the legs, etc.

It's good bang for the buck. The amount of charcoal it uses for smoking is quite low. And once dialed in you won't have to worry about it. The trick is getting it up to temp in a controlled manner but that is covered in the above link.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I soon hope to have enough money to afford a new charcoal grill, which I can now use because I'm staying at home with my parents for a bit. I'm wondering whether I should get a Char-Griller Akorn or a Weber kettle. Pretend I'm doing a 50-50 mix of grilling and smoking on it. I'd also really like to make pizza on it at some point, so keep that in mind as well.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 26, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

See posts directly above. A Weber is probably the best when it comes to easy charcoal smoking, but if you want something that can do it all including pizza, the Akorn is the better choice. On top of the mods and procedures mentioned above, I shoudl also add that I highly recommend getting the diffusing stone, which makes maintaining smoking temps a million times easier and can double as a pizza stone.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I like my Weber kettle but I had to invest a fair bit in replacing the dogshit grill grate with a cast iron grate, which has made a world of different with searing.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I've always had a weber kettle and always will. However, after a neighbor gifted me with a whole brisket, I picked up this beauty

WSM 22.5"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I soon hope to have enough money to afford a new charcoal grill, which I can now use because I'm staying at home with my parents for a bit. I'm wondering whether I should get a Char-Griller Akorn or a Weber kettle. Pretend I'm doing a 50-50 mix of grilling and smoking on it. I'd also really like to make pizza on it at some point, so keep that in mind as well.

I do a 50/50 mix on my Akorn. It can hold 225 rock steady (with the diffuser stone) for hours, and can also get hot enough to make the grates glow orange.

edit: I also have a Webber kettle but IMO it sucks for smoking. Too much work to keep it low. I never touch it anymore.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

edit: I also have a Webber kettle but IMO it sucks for smoking. Too much work to keep it low. I never touch it anymore.

How low? I have only used one once, but after some fidgeting had no issues pinning it at like 205 for 12 hours.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Not sure where you hail from in the world but if in the USA it is a good buying time. Look for sales, closeouts, display models, etc. Go to the post office and ask for a moving kit. You'll get a 10% off coupon for Lowes.

I can't help you with the Weber. But the Akorn will get hot enough that it will set itself on fire. Don't ask me how I know. It will cook a pizza easy. Or melt lead.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I like my Weber kettle but I had to invest a fair bit in replacing the dogshit grill grate with a cast iron grate, which has made a world of different with searing.

If you want to overcook the parts of your meat that touch your cast iron grate, sure

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/guide_to_grill_grates.html

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VERTiG0 posted:

If you want to overcook the parts of your meat that touch your cast iron grate, sure

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/guide_to_grill_grates.html

You can pry my grill marks from my cold dead hands you heathen. :colbert:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Farking Bastage posted:

However, after a neighbor gifted me with a whole brisket

Wanna get dat neighbor

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I have a 5 lb yard bird going in the WSM. About 4 hours in right before I wrapped it.

It more or less has that magic dust dry rub on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah, what Doom Rooster said for pizza. I bought some fire bricks and make a raised platform on the grate (like this: |_|_| ) which I set the pizza stone on top of. Doing that moves the whole pizza up closer to the top of the kamado and gets you a little bit more reflective radiation on the top, which helps a bit.
Oh man that's a really good idea. I've done a number of pizzas on my egg and haven't been 100% pleased with how they came out. Better than my oven but the crust edges never seem to get brown enough before everything goes melty. I'll try your brick lift because that just makes sense.

I posted a while back here about making pizza in 90 seconds at 750F on the egg, saved here for posterity. TL;DR it burned!