Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
this update gave pyro literally zero tools for dealing with engineer, just build a sentry somewhere. you even live a Dragon's Fury 2-hit if you have baby sentries, but you can basically play Fun Police right now with a level 3 put pretty much anywhere on the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Countblanc posted:

this update gave pyro literally zero tools for dealing with engineer, just build a sentry somewhere.
What? This update gave the pyro a rocket launcher. Half a dozen pyros spam the Dragon at you, and your sentry goes right the gently caress down (nevermind that the sentry doesn't shield you from the projectile, so you get burned down in an instant)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

What? This update gave the pyro a rocket launcher. Half a dozen pyros spam the Dragon at you, and your sentry goes right the gently caress down (nevermind that the sentry doesn't shield you from the projectile, so you get burned down in an instant)

Sentry has like 3x the range of Dragon's Fury. Yes a pyro will tear up an engineer trying to build a new nest, but against a properly set up sentry a lone pyro can't do poo poo.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Xander77 posted:

gently caress dude half a dozen anythings will tear up your sentry and then you. Half a dozen medics can take out your sentry easy.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I'll say one thing for the dragon's fury, it's shown me pretty quick how many pyros cannot aim worth a poo poo. Also help I can't get points for extinguishing team mates with my jetpack because all 16 of us are pyros.

edit: also, blasting people with it is really easy to me! thank god for all those games of fart cops in jaykin' bacon.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 22, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Slime posted:

gently caress dude half a dozen anythings will tear up your sentry and then you. Half a dozen medics can take out your sentry easy.

no i'm pretty sure the engineer should be able to single handedly fight off 6 players at once, that guy's got the right idea actually, nerf everything

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The sentry not shielding you from the projectile is the only thing I take issue with there because the actual flamethrowers don't pass through sentries iirc

edit: Granted it's a flamethrower so you're probably gonna get hit anyway but the point still stands, you can use the sentry to body block a pyro who's lighting it up while it's sapped or disabled or w/e and you can't if it just goes right through

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay experiment time. One level 3 sentry in the open, one engineer whacking at it, one level 3 dispenser behind the engineer. How many dragon pyros are required to take it down?
What if it's a level 2 sentry (so no rockets to reflect)?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If it's out in the open the Pyro can't win, even with the extra range of the new flamethrower, but the same could be said of any class without an explosive or fast dps ranged attack. If there's even one corner, the pyro has it, especially with that range doing its job.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

nielsm posted:

Okay after seeing this I'll agree that the new Pyro weapons are probably OP. (Skip to around 19 minutes.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJeY5UGIgmQ&t=1157s
Absolutely tearing through MvM with it.

The only counter against a posse of pyros is to catch them at range before it's too late?

The correct name for a group of pyros is a conflagration of pyros.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Slime posted:

A pyro is meant to be a close-range class. Half a dozen of them charging at a level three or trying to shotgun / flare it to death wouldn't necessarily work - and that's ok, because the sentry is meant to be a bit of a hard counter against a close-range ambush class. Fighting against pyros right now is basically containing with waves of rocket spam - except the hitbox is larger, and if one rocket clips you, another one will just wipe you out.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Xander77 posted:

A pyro is meant to be a close-range class. Half a dozen of them charging at a level three or trying to shotgun / flare it to death wouldn't necessarily work - and that's ok, because the sentry is meant to be a bit of a hard counter against a close-range ambush class. Fighting against pyros right now is basically containing with waves of rocket spam - except the hitbox is larger, and if one rocket clips you, another one will just wipe you out.

how long do you think the range of his new weapon is

because it's not long range

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So how about that Heavy overheal exploit, huh?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

no it's supposed to make them take a lot of damage to kill

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Xander77 posted:

pyro's new weapon barely has any more range than the flamethrower, if you're in a situation where you can corner peek a level 3 to death you could already do it without the new weapon

nielsm posted:

Okay after seeing this I'll agree that the new Pyro weapons are probably OP. (Skip to around 19 minutes.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJeY5UGIgmQ&t=1157s
Absolutely tearing through MvM with it.

The only counter against a posse of pyros is to catch them at range before it's too late?
That's always been how pyro works. You murder them before they get too close or they do a lot of damage and kill you.

MvM is a horrible context to look at this weapon wrt balance, you don't normally get to constantly hit targets and boost up your damage and firing speed ad infinitum.
It's basically a flamethrower with slightly more range that takes a bit of time to ramp up into doing real damage and that can't hit multiple people at once. Personally, I'm gonna stick with the backburner and try and find sneaky spots to jetpack behind people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

and that can't hit multiple people at once.

It absolutely can. If anything, I think it may be more effective against crowds because of the huge hitbox (I've hit people wrapped all the way around corners with this thing, it's stupid.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It kinda makes me think of the fire rocket launcher thing the TFC Pyro had.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Defense contracts are incredible. You have to have that very specific level of skill disparity for the enemy team to make it to the objective without being killed by your team, yet not in such overwhelming force that you can't... well, defend the goddamned objective. Oh, and they refuse to register half the time (STANDING on the objective, as you defend it, is OBVIOUSLY a no-no - you have to kill the enemy while initially not blocking their capture of the objective)

So as a category, that's harder than any other type of contract (outside from CTF contracts, which suffer from the exact same issue).

So of course approximately half the non-weapon contracts have a defense sub-objective.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Killing a capturing enemy has always showed up in the killfeed as "defended the objective"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ZombieSupaStar posted:

this steam overlay looks like a WebTV gui from 1998 now...

That's only when you boot with a controller in, the kb+m one is the same.

edit: xander, killing a guy who is touching the cart, or even just touching the cart while someone is pushing it, also counts as defending.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 22, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit: xander, killing a guy who is touching the cart, or even just touching the cart while someone is pushing it, also counts as defending.
Kinda the same deal? Also, I suck.

But seriously, you still need to make sure that there aren't enough people on the cart to annihilate your rear end, but also that they're getting past your teams defenses and pushing. On a PL map, very often the only way for the cart to get pushed is with a giant ball of death around it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dabir posted:

Killing a capturing enemy has always showed up in the killfeed as "defended the objective"

But that's apparently not good enough for some "defend the point" contracts.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think only when you kill the last enemy pushing the cart, i.e. makes it stop.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So how about that Heavy overheal exploit, huh?

I did encounter a few heavies that seemed to suck up far too much damage. So there may actually be some bug? (I'd guess with the new GRU max-health-drain mechanic.)

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Well I finally got the jetpack. The game also threw a name tag my way the same match. I'm a bit conflicted since I have the obvious rename in mind, but I also already used it way back when name/description tags were first released.

Dare I?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Trying to finish two contracts.

1 - The fists of steel. I got the "take 1000 damage in a single life" one several times, yet not a single one of the "block 500 damage". I'm literally standing on the 2fort sniper spots, taking damage with my fists out.

2. Apparently the advanced medic "get x assists during an ubercharge" objective only counts medigun ubers? Please tell me otherwise.

3. Edit - Gunslinger contract. I set up my sentry, it kills things - I'm getting "kills with primary weapon" but not the bonus "Kill with a sentry". WTF.

Edit - Ah. It counts kills made by level 1 (and only level 1) sentries. Makes sense.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 22, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Eugh the 2fort map contract was a slog. Ended up with 4+4 players on a matchmaking server just trying to organize helping each other with contracts. At least it's over with now and I can access the other map contracts.

Edit: This seems to be the right choice for the pattern.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 22, 2017

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

nielsm posted:

I did encounter a few heavies that seemed to suck up far too much damage. So there may actually be some bug? (I'd guess with the new GRU max-health-drain mechanic.)

It's something to do with eating a Dalokohs Bar and then pulling out the GRU, which ups your health or something? You can keep doing it to get as much health as you want, though it can take a while. Most of the Heavies doing it don't seem to realise they can just be backstabbed and have all those minutes spent building up health wasted.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I got the cow paint... but you cant apply it to the mad milk. trash game for imbeciles.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

nielsm posted:

Yeah - I won't detail it unless someone asks me to but you can find it easily enough with a google.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
"hey guys this new flamethrower that has no splash damage is exactly like a rocket launcher, which is really cool and new and exciting for the pyro. its something its never been done before and absolutely there existed no flame projectiles with splash damage on surface hit. nope. not at all."

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Jose Mengelez posted:

I got the cow paint... but you cant apply it to the mad milk. trash game for imbeciles.

All paint is exceptional on the holy mackerel

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Has there ever been a way to use DSR in this and have it stick after shutting it down? I know CS:GO let you use DSR resolutions and they would not reset back to desktop resolution when you restarted it. TF2 always just resets back to 1920x1080, no matter what I tried with cfg files and launch options.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Has there ever been a way to use DSR in this and have it stick after shutting it down? I know CS:GO let you use DSR resolutions and they would not reset back to desktop resolution when you restarted it. TF2 always just resets back to 1920x1080, no matter what I tried with cfg files and launch options.

if you can't get it to stick for whatever reason, tf2 supports 8x MSAA... it's really good.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Okay so airblasting people into death pits isn’t really feasible anymore

I’m sad

crabf
May 29, 2015
so wait, can you not put war paint on every weapon, just a select few?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It would be crazy if they set up every weapon for war paint, there’s like a jillion of them.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Is there something up with matchmaking for groups? Me and 3 other buddies have been queued up for casual for the past ten minutes, now. This is quickly draining all our desire to get back into the game.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

crabf posted:

Some war paints work on more weapons than others. Most I've seen work on a huge amount of weapons, but it's definitely not all of them. Some of the more complex looking stuff gets left out.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Butt Detective posted:

It's something to do with eating a Dalokohs Bar and then pulling out the GRU, which ups your health or something? You can keep doing it to get as much health as you want, though it can take a while. Most of the Heavies doing it don't seem to realise they can just be backstabbed and have all those minutes spent building up health wasted.

Heavy seems pretty busted by the update. The Holiday Punch gloves make him into some sort of final boss encounter.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

crabf posted:

They have to re-do the textures for each weapon to allow warpaint.

There's a neat GDC talk about how they implemented the feature in CS:GO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd_QeY9uATA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
finally got to play some tf2 today, and man, ive missed my team being all scattered, and despite some of my best medicing, them dying constantly because they go one by one through the chokepoint, only me and the guy im healing pushing in with the uber, a sniper refusing to let me through the teleport. No hyperbole, that was as bad a match can go for a medic, yet i still really love the insane click click clicking of trying to keep everyone at acceptable health