Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Spoeank posted:

The true NBA connoisseur gets around having to say Giannis's name by exclusively referring to him as Greek Freak

The local commentary crew solution to this was his original nickname - the alphabet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The Suns will struggle mightily to win more than 12 games. Unwatchable poo poo.

And Giannis is just unfair.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RaySmuckles posted:

just lmao at kevin durant pointing to his ring finger as if to own the audience of memphis

he really thought/thinks that having a ring would bring him universal acclaim and respect

no one respects your ring, kevin. you're a clown and its hilarious

lol.

While Durant is an amazing player, I'm pretty sure the Warriors could have signed ANY player in his place last year and still won the Finals.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

For some reason I decided I want to watch basketball this year. I was a huge fan in elementary and middle school before I realized I was too short and started playing football and wrestling.

So uh, I'm a Lakers fan because I watched Kobe and Shaq as a kid. What do I need to know about them?

Why is Ball so hated? Is it just because his dad runs his mouth?

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003
KD is so emotionally weak and I can't stop laughing about it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Spacebump posted:

lol.

While Durant is an amazing player, I'm pretty sure the Warriors could have signed ANY player in his place last year and still won the Finals.

Disagree, Cavs were way better team and was basically matching the Warriors in offense. If Lebron didn't have to check or guard a 4th perimeter creator I.E. Durant, Cavs would repeat.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

slave to my cravings posted:

Melo scored 26 points on 26 shots while Russ scored 6 points on 11 shots :whitewater:

There was no offensive rhythm and Russ was being passive it was a weird game

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

For some reason I decided I want to watch basketball this year. I was a huge fan in elementary and middle school before I realized I was too short and started playing football and wrestling.

So uh, I'm a Lakers fan because I watched Kobe and Shaq as a kid. What do I need to know about them?

They’re extremely young and bad and are coached by Luke Walton, who you may remember as a Lakers bench player from your youth. They should be fun and uptempo but will struggle to win 30 games.

People hate Ball because his dad and media have given him outrageous hype. He personally seems like a perfectly likable guy whose worst trait is his hideous shooting form.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Arrgytehpirate posted:

98% because of his Dad.
2% he said Nas isn't real hip hop.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Giannis is playing for his dad, who died last month when he was visiting Milwaukee

https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/921948739715055616

he is so winning MVP this year

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Game ball from last night.

I think I got something in my eye....

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

Melo scored 26 points on 26 shots while Russ scored 6 points on 11 shots :whitewater:

So you're saying Westbrook is what's wrong with OKC right now? :D

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Giannis was yet another raw, athletic, toolsy player when he was drafted? How come he was the one that panned out?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

his hands are big

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Giannis was yet another raw, athletic, toolsy player when he was drafted? How come he was the one that panned out?

because they drafted him when he was 6 years old and made him toil in the basketball mines for 20 years

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Those guys are kind of just lottery tickets. Sometimes you win. His rate of development is just absurd, and I'm really hesitant to say its because of the coaching staff.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
he Wanted It More

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Big hands, durable (so far), body control, and he aggressively seeks out knowledge.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

straight up brolic posted:

I always thought that was sarcasm

Maybe he just has Jim Breuer-face; everyone thinks he's high all the time but that's just what he looks like.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
His basketball IQ was also much higher than predicted. A lot of us (me included) expected him to Tyreke Evans himself when given more point responsibilities and instead Giannis just got better.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Probably not the best way to refer to someone who is Finnish.

He looks like he should be pummeling Stalin draped in the Finnish flag while Mannheim urges him on from the corner.

Apologies.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Smoothies do a body good.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Yet another? Giannis was basically the inspirational point for that trend, as far as I can tell. Giannis's success from being a raw athletic toolsy player is exactly why there's so many GM's swinging and missing on nobodies with long arms. Everyone wants to find a Giannis.

I mean people have been drafting 'potential' picks for for decades, but I anecdotally feel like it's exploded since Giannis came into the league.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

im pretty sure there were athletic people before giannis

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dynamite Dog posted:

durable (so far)

Never Getting Injured Like Ever is incredibly important if you want to be the Greatest

because "athletic" and "toolsy" are all extreme understatements of what Giannis had going for him. "Raw" was also one of those Akeem/Embiid inverted compliments, "look at how quickly this kid is taking to a game he just started playing"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hey Dejan did you see Luke Kennard is the first rookie in NBA history to hit their first five FGAs? Wow! GOAT!
https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017/10/21/16513032/watch-luke-kennard-knocks-down-first-five-shots-of-his-nba-career

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Hey Dejan did you see Luke Kennard is the first rookie in NBA history to hit their first five FGAs? Wow! GOAT!
https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2017/10/21/16513032/watch-luke-kennard-knocks-down-first-five-shots-of-his-nba-career

He is the antimatter of Stanley Johnson. They may annihilate each other.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

CRISPYBABY posted:

Yet another? Giannis was basically the inspirational point for that trend, as far as I can tell. Giannis's success from being a raw athletic toolsy player is exactly why there's so many GM's swinging and missing on nobodies with long arms. Everyone wants to find a Giannis.

I mean people have been drafting 'potential' picks for for decades, but I anecdotally feel like it's exploded since Giannis came into the league.

Anthony. Randolph.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Nobody told me Dwight kissed a ref
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx9xW42WbOQ
who's responsible for monitoring hornets games

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What other people already said, plus you can practically hear the NBA and sports media salivating at the idea of Lonzo making the Lakers relevant again.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Is Lonzo as slow as he looks or is it just cuz he's tall?

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
Does anyone know of a place where you can find team ORTG and DRTG broken down into home and away? on espn and basketball reference they just have the single stat.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

He has good top-end speed but only if he can run in a straight line. He doesn't have small bursts of speed.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

EvanTH posted:

Nobody told me Dwight kissed a ref
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx9xW42WbOQ
who's responsible for monitoring hornets games

haha this is great

Stat wise seems Howard is doing fine this year. Maybe he wont lose his starting spot to Cody Zeller and be a league wide joke.

Cool Buff Man posted:

His shot makes me feel funny every time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

proctorbot posted:

Does anyone know of a place where you can find team ORTG and DRTG broken down into home and away? on espn and basketball reference they just have the single stat.

stats.nba.com

Here is this year's Pelicans: http://stats.nba.com/team/1610612740/advanced/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Kibner posted:

He has good top-end speed but only if he can run in a straight line. He doesn't have small bursts of speed.

That makes sense, I notiice it usually off a dribble move where other people would dash and pop in a certain direction like a League of Legends champion but he seems to slowly shift and turn like a DoTA hero. Gordon will understand what I'm saying

Athanatos posted:

His shot makes me feel funny every time.

Fortunately it's now only the second ugliest shot in the lottery

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

That makes sense, I notiice it usually off a dribble move where other people would dash and pop in a certain direction like a League of Legends champion but he seems to slowly shift and turn like a DoTA hero. Gordon will understand what I'm saying

Yeah, he has a low turn-speed but the movement speed is solid.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Disillusionist posted:

He looks like he should be pummeling Stalin draped in the Finnish flag while Mannheim urges him on from the corner.

Apologies.

:finland:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kibner posted:

Yeah, he has a low turn-speed but the movement speed is solid.

Dude just needs to practice drifting then he's solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I had a dream I met Shaun Livingston. I told him I remembered him from high school Slam magazine. He wasn't that tall though so I have to assume in my dreams I'm actually 6'6
Steph was also there but I decided to ignore him.

• Locked thread