Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Benne posted:

Yahtzee is still there for reasons.

Probably because it'd be a pain and a half to set up a website for his videos as well as transferring his videos to another channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I mean he's got his own Youtube channel he could upload his videos to if he felt like it. I'm guessing they just pay him well.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Benne posted:

Remember The Escapist? Probably not, it's been a while since anyone thought about them. Anyway, they apparently gutted almost their entire paid staff and the website is on life support with only volunteers left running the joint.

Yahtzee is still there for reasons.

Cause once he leaves that site is D-E-D, dead. They'll pay him whatever they can to keep him.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kay Kessler posted:

I mean he's got his own Youtube channel he could upload his videos to if he felt like it. I'm guessing they just pay him well.

I believe it's been all but spoken for years he's over half the site's budget.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Looking over his most recent videos, he's averaging about 150k views on the main site and around 500k on YouTube, which is pretty much a pittance compared to the numbers he was pulling in, oh, 7 or 8 years ago. The last video he had that broke 1M was at least a year ago.

So even with just Yahtzee onboard the ship is sinking fast.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Probably because it'd be a pain and a half to set up a website for his videos as well as transferring his videos to another channel.

And that's probably the number one reason he hasn't left yet. He's had someone else doing that job for him for the last ten years, so either he's gonna have to do it himself, hire someone to do it for him, or find another website to hitch a ride on.

He'll be fine though. All he needs to do is open a Patreon and let that sweet, sweet crowdfunding fill up his fridge.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I haven't watched Zero Punctuation in years. I got nothing against the gay but then again, I don't know much about him.

Being unfunny is the least of internet reviewer's problems these days. Is he a GamerGator or anything? If not, I wish him luck.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, I guess if Yahtzee wanted to go independent, he probably would've done so a long time ago.

It's just funny that the Escapist drove off all their notable writers/content creators and then acted shocked when people stopped visiting the website.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can't say I'm surprised. The EIC they had (have?) was big on gamergate and seemed like a really unpleasant person and that didn't sit well with a lot of people. You can probably mark that as the beginning of the end for that site.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Benne posted:

Yeah, I guess if Yahtzee wanted to go independent, he probably would've done so a long time ago.

It's just funny that the Escapist drove off all their notable writers/content creators and then acted shocked when people stopped visiting the website.

Who wants to start a Kickstarter to buy Escapist in a post-bankruptcy fire sale?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Looking over his most recent videos, he's averaging about 150k views on the main site and around 500k on YouTube, which is pretty much a pittance compared to the numbers he was pulling in, oh, 7 or 8 years ago. The last video he had that broke 1M was at least a year ago.

yahtzee is losing views because his reviews are exactly the same they have been for a decade. like, that's fine and i don't mind his style, but at some point i just lost interest. every once in a while a video of his pops up in my recommendations, i watch it, and it's like...yep this is sure the same stuff he was making ten years ago.

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't watched Zero Punctuation in years. I got nothing against the gay but then again, I don't know much about him.

Being unfunny is the least of internet reviewer's problems these days. Is he a GamerGator or anything? If not, I wish him luck.

as far as i know, he stayed way the gently caress out of gamergate even as the people running the escapist were diving into it.

Kim Justice posted:

I was thinking more about another popular gaming site that's going down the toilet, but hey-ho

the only gaming site i give a hot flying poo poo about is giant bomb, so what is this other site that is going down the toilet and why is it happening?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

financially racist posted:

the only gaming site i give a hot flying poo poo about is giant bomb, so what is this other site that is going down the toilet and why is it happening?

NeoGaf has exploded

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Grondoth posted:

NeoGaf has exploded

let me just google that real quick–

oh

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Grondoth posted:

NeoGaf has exploded

i hadn't heard of this but yeesh wtf

neogaf was a cesspit of suck though so good riddance

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

yahtzee is losing views because his reviews are exactly the same they have been for a decade. like, that's fine and i don't mind his style, but at some point i just lost interest. every once in a while a video of his pops up in my recommendations, i watch it, and it's like...yep this is sure the same stuff he was making ten years ago.

Most of his side businesses fell through years ago, as well. I don't know what else he's got besides the weekly reviews.

e: also he apparently moved to America last year? great timing there

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 22, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Didn't Yahtzee try opening up a chain of gaming-themed bars a few years ago? I won't be surprised if he lost his shirt over that investment and is now just sitting on the Escapist contract because that's the one consistent income he has left.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

tonight i found out the director for the escapist's there will be brawl went on to become the overwatch cowboy

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
There was a pretty decent show on the Escapist called Doomsday Arcade. It was made by a bunch of schoolkids and now the main writer/director does actual TV. So that is at least one partial success story from that website. Nobody actually watched his TV show but that was still kinda cool.

Also didn't Giant Bomb sell itself off to Gamespot not that long ago?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Yup, the shtick wore thin pretty quick. Wish he he did more reviews where he just gushes about a game like his Psychonauts and Painkiller ones, but they probably weren't a tenth as popular as his "[Recent AAA Title] is soulless and samey" reviews.

His books are ok if you don't mind his discount Terry Pratchett writing.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have a funny little throughline where I watched Yahtzee's reviews, stopped watching those but moved on to Let's Drown Out, and then when that died, I turned to Keep Et Classy, featuring Y's partner on LDO. I literally cannot recall when the last just-Yahtzee thing I've watched, come to think of it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 22, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wrageowrapper posted:

That was like 5 years ago

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Wrageowrapper posted:

CBS, not GameSpot

they basically still run as always have

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Do not even ask posted:

Yup, the shtick wore thin pretty quick. Wish he he did more reviews where he just gushes about a game like his Psychonauts and Painkiller ones, but they probably weren't a tenth as popular as his "[Recent AAA Title] is soulless and samey" reviews.

His last two reviews of A Hat In Time and Cuphead were both just him gushing about each game for five minutes, and it's pretty even odds that if he's playing an indie game he actually has something to say about it, compared to, say, Destiny 2, where half the review was spent admiring a wall. I also remember he liked Majora's Mask a lot and was actually able to articulate why in a unique way, or at least no other reviewer I watched brought up the same points he did.

I suppose that's why I'm still watching Yahtzee's reviews even after ten years; most people still don't have the same level of insight or ability to articulate what they do and don't like about any given game like him, while still being funny and to-the-point short.

Some of this thread's favourites, like Brows Held High or Folding Ideas, aim more towards insightful critique on whatever they're talking about, but they usually have pretty long videos that only occasionally pepper in jokes, they are not comedy-first types. Others who aim for short comedy videos, like Dunkey or JonTron, don't have the same level of critique going on, either, it's just whatever jokes they can squeeze out of a game and maybe having a point or two to say by the end.

So yeah, Yahtzee's shtick is old, he hasn't update his style in forever, but he also hasn't been replaced because nobody does what he does as well as he does.

That said I wouldn't mind if he scrapped the whole show and started over with something else when Escapist goes belly up.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

AriadneThread posted:

tonight i found out the director for the escapist's there will be brawl went on to become the most watched Dungeon Master ever.

I keep wanting to start a Critical Role thread, but I have no idea where I would put it. Here? TradGames? The first campaign just ended, and it's well worth a watch if you have 400-ish hours to kill.

A bunch of story-committed voice actors manage to put together a pretty great show, in a radio drama "theater of the mind" sort of way.

Also, he just got married yesterday!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, I can't really fault Yahtzee for staying in his comfort zone. In the chaotic world of content creation, steady paychecks are few and far between, so if he can still pull a consistent audience doing the same tried-and-true gimmick, then more power to him.

Also the Internet has been around long enough that we should know Fast-Talking Accent Guy With Funny Pictures is an evergreen market.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 22, 2017

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

And that's probably the number one reason he hasn't left yet. He's had someone else doing that job for him for the last ten years, so either he's gonna have to do it himself, hire someone to do it for him, or find another website to hitch a ride on.

He'll be fine though. All he needs to do is open a Patreon and let that sweet, sweet crowdfunding fill up his fridge.

Doesn't the Escapist also own the rights to his show, that was why LRR no longer did unskippable.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
He'd be pretty silly to give them the rights when zero punctuation going viral and getting big views for the first handful of videos was why they signed him in the first place. Kinda like giving away your golden goose that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

stingtwo posted:

Doesn't the Escapist also own the rights to his show, that was why LRR no longer did unskippable.

Not sure if they own the ZP brand but they own pretty much everything else the site hosted. Everyone they fired were unable to continue their projects.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Paladin posted:

I keep wanting to start a Critical Role thread, but I have no idea where I would put it. Here? TradGames? The first campaign just ended, and it's well worth a watch if you have 400-ish hours to kill.

A bunch of story-committed voice actors manage to put together a pretty great show, in a radio drama "theater of the mind" sort of way.

Also, he just got married yesterday!

oh, he does that too? my old college roommate from the same time brawl was around is super into that show, wild

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Do not even ask posted:

His books are ok if you don't mind his discount Terry Pratchett writing.

His game "the Consuming Shadow" is the bomb.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

Didn't Yahtzee try opening up a chain of gaming-themed bars a few years ago? I won't be surprised if he lost his shirt over that investment and is now just sitting on the Escapist contract because that's the one consistent income he has left.

He co-owned it with a bunch of people, yeah, but it doesn't look like it was some massive failure that bankrupted the owners or anything; it shut down a couple years ago, but it looks like it wasn't a big implosion, just a slow decline.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Most businesses fail, especially in the restaurant/hospitality industry. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most businesses fail, especially in the restaurant/hospitality industry. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Yeah, and five years is honestly a pretty good run for one, isn't it? Most fail in a year or two, I thought.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
James Rolfe is doing the AVGN Halloween special as a found footage thing this year, and its really good, but why is he putting it on the side channel that archives Mike's livestreams, rather than the main channel?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's probably a thematic thing, though I expect it'll be mirrored once the whole thing's out.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Idran posted:

Yeah, and five years is honestly a pretty good run for one, isn't it? Most fail in a year or two, I thought.

Depends on whether it was profitable or broke even for 5 years, or should have been closed after a year but was kept afloat through loans or investments.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Moatman posted:

Depends on whether it was profitable or broke even for 5 years, or should have been closed after a year but was kept afloat through loans or investments.

I'll answer that question with another question; why would a profitable bar close down?

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New Goosebumps review. Let's Get Invisible!

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Given how capricious and arbitrary Youtube can be, I can't imagine many people would opt-in to that if they can pull a steady paycheck making the same content. Also he probably gets access to review copies and little perks like that through The Escapist that he wouldn't be guaranteed by going Indie. I doubt The Escapist is holding a gun to Yahtzee's head to keep him there.

Brows Held High has joined the ranks of Serious Film People Talking About Monster Factory. It's pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwH5HjgS9JU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Insurrectionist posted:

He'd be pretty silly to give them the rights when zero punctuation going viral and getting big views for the first handful of videos was why they signed him in the first place. Kinda like giving away your golden goose that.

It does happen. The Penny Arcade guys signed away the rights to their comic at the very beginning, though they got them back. Also, it's never been confirmed I think, but isn't the consensus that Mike Michaud owns at least part of the Nostalgia Critic character ? It's pretty tempting for somebody just starting out to get in bed with a website/company and then finding it difficult to leave.

Jim Sterling is sorta weird in this regard, he continued The Jimquisition after leaving The Escapist, but none of those old videos are on his channel, only on The Escapist one. This could be because he legally can't put up his old stuff, or (just as likely IMHO) it would be a pain in the arse to upload 150-odd videos and removing The Escapist logos from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure Jim confirmed at some point that he can't rehost the escapist ones for legal reasons.

Escapist might own the videos but not the rights to the character or anything.

• Locked thread