Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

iOS 11, iPhone 7+

Instead of the official reddit app, which is garbage, try something else. Narwhal has a much nicer, more configurable user interface, and Monochrome has a lot of convenient 3D Touch features peppered all around the app in addition to being focused on minimizing overhead when loading videos/GIFs.

I mean, it may not improve your battery life, but your quality of life for sure. They're both free with additional features behind a cheap IAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TraderStav posted:

Now give it a week and see how your battery does.

I'd also recommend going through the list of other background refresh and location to root out other problems further down the list.

Would excessive battery drain from a weak cellular signal show up in there? I work from home and my gain here is usually -104 to -114. My phone eats itself at home. The issue goes away while traveling.

Pivo posted:

Instead of the official reddit app, which is garbage, try something else. Narwhal has a much nicer, more configurable user interface, and Monochrome has a lot of convenient 3D Touch features peppered all around the app in addition to being focused on minimizing overhead when loading videos/GIFs.

I mean, it may not improve your battery life, but your quality of life for sure. They're both free with additional features behind a cheap IAP.

Appreciate the suggestion, and I do already have a fully paid copy of narwhal, but I hate it. It’s overly complicated and I don’t like the list view options.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 22, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

TraderStav posted:

1. Delete Facebook. It's a hog and your life will be better without it also.
2. Go and look at all of the background refreshing apps. You'll likely find that every app is allowed to do it and most won't make sense. Do you really need Walgreens app refreshing constantly?
3. Go into the location settings and disable and apps that are using your location while it's not open that don't make sense.

Use your phone for a week and then see how your battery is.

Ah yes. These are all things I should have to do for a phone that was working perfectly fine before a software upgrade that is now acting like poo poo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Not defending them, just trying to find the pragmatic path forward to resolve issues. I agree whole heartedly that you shouldn't have to janitor your phone or make adjustments, but here we are. I'd rather do these steps and have no issues rather than stand on principle and have to charge every five hours.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
By gum, I think I will switch to a competing smartphone!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

withak posted:

By gum, I think I will switch to a competing smartphone!

As soon as someone releases one :agesilaus:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Ah yes. These are all things I should have to do for a phone that was working perfectly fine before a software upgrade that is now acting like poo poo.

Have you tried an iTunes restore? That’s what I did when I installed 11 and my battery life is still great.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

TheWevel posted:

Turn off the battery percentage and everything will be better.

Wasn’t using it before but I am familiar with when the phone would hit certain points for battery life regardless.

After the reset it’s fine. That said, it’s worse than 10. I expected that and as usual, it’ll probably get better over time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tiny Lowtax posted:

How many phones have you gone through in the last 12 months lol because I seem to recall you doing the same kind of whining in the Android thread........

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How many phones have you gone through in the last 12 months lol because I seem to recall you doing the same kind of whining in the Android thread........

I used a Pixel 2 for a few days. Other than that I’ve had my 6S since it was released.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The official Reddit app is perfectly fine.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

LODGE NORTH posted:

The official Reddit app is perfectly fine.

So is safari

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Ok I think i figured out why every once in a while icons and poo poo were 'lowered' on the screen. if you put your finger on the home button (but don't press it) twice in a row, it lowers the screen presumably for one handed use.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nerdrock posted:

Ok I think i figured out why every once in a while icons and poo poo were 'lowered' on the screen. if you put your finger on the home button (but don't press it) twice in a row, it lowers the screen presumably for one handed use.

Lol @ apple feature discovery again

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yo, what the gently caress YouTube?

What the actual gently caress?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

RIP Protube.

Wish he would release the source so we could just build it ourselves, but I entirely understand the myriad reasons he wouldn't do that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's a tragedy

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am going to order an Iphone X (replacing my 5S). This thread has made me very excited for this new purchase with all of your information. I currently use an Otterbox Defender series for my phone and I am looking at getting a Defender series for the X. I generally carry my phone in my pocket at all times so I am concerned about screen scratches. I noticed that the Otterbox Defender series for the X does not include a screen protector but it "works with Alpha Glass". I thought I read that this screen is already supposed to be scratch resistant so do I even need that protector?

Also, I am open to switching cases if there is something that is better out there so any suggestions would be welcome.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If you must go the otterbox route, get a commuter series or lighter. I’d recommend a symmetry series otterbox case. It seems like you baby your phone, but you’ll certainly be fine with a lighter case. I really would skip the screen protector though. Personally I use a Spigen Liquid Air Armor for my 7+. Adds minimal bulk and handles “home and office” drops and scrapes just fine. Seems as close to caseless as I can get without being careless.

Weirdly, a lot of my case decisions are based off of how im doing financially. Back when I was scraping by with basic sustenance income, I had my 5C in a grotesquely fat case because I could not afford to replace my phone screen if it were to happen. My current phone case is minimalist and thats because I could afford to replace a cracked screen/worse without too much wallet bruising.

buglord fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 22, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

doingitwrong posted:

Yo, what the gently caress YouTube?

What the actual gently caress?

I've said a few times in iOS threads that YouTube.app goes loving nuts sometimes and needs to be killed or it drains your battery. I'm not sure if it's the app or iOS doing this.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Is there any way to stop the stock keyboard taking over randomly? At least once a day I'll go into an app to type something and the keyboard will default back to it (not in password fields, normal text). It lets me switch back to the preferred one but will just occasionally decide I don't want to use it anymore. Not new behaviour with 11, it's done it since I got it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pivo posted:

Narwhal is one of the best apps I've ever downloaded. I bought it right away. I can't even remember the last app I paid for.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I just bought cesium, having learned of it’s existence days after it was no longer free.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

This has been a thing since the iPhone 6S.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mattfl posted:

Since the 6, actually. Reachability.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mattfl posted:

The model before that. It was a thing with the first "plus" which was the 6 Plus.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ah that’s right. Anyways, that isn’t something new and I’m pretty sure it was demoed during the launch event.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Just bought an iPhone 8.

On iOS 11 when you’re playing music/podcast and wake the phone up, it no longer shows a huge image of the album cover. Now it just a control panel with a fingernail-sized photo of the album cover. Anyway to change this?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Nope.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my 65yo dad just called to ask me if the internet had been having trouble the last few days to which I responded "I dont work for the internet but it seems to be working OK"

turns out he had unknowingly disabled mobile data on his phone because that was a button everyone was asking for instead of using the flight mode button like we have for a decade now.

me: so yeah they added that button because you can usually use wifi or bluetooth on planes now.
Dad: so why is flight mode still there then?
me: well I suppose because there is still a need to turn off all the radios at once for the few airlines that still enforce that rule?
dad: so why wouldnt they just leave it as it was and then you turn wifi or bluetooth back on after you are flight mode?
me: dad I dont work for Apple but they did make a lot of really questionable changes for iOS11.
dad: gently caress yeah they did. seeya.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Laserface posted:

my 65yo dad just called to ask me if the internet had been having trouble the last few days to which I responded "I dont work for the internet but it seems to be working OK"

turns out he had unknowingly disabled mobile data on his phone because that was a button everyone was asking for instead of using the flight mode button like we have for a decade now.

me: so yeah they added that button because you can usually use wifi or bluetooth on planes now.
me: well I suppose because there is still a need to turn off all the radios at once for the few airlines that still enforce that rule?
dad: so why wouldnt they just leave it as it was and then you turn wifi or bluetooth back on after you are flight mode?
me: dad I dont work for Apple but they did make a lot of really questionable changes for iOS11.

Your dad, later: "Whenever I ask my son about something he makes a condescending comment about how he doesn't work there. I'm writing him out of my goddamn will if he does it again."

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Weedle posted:

Your dad, later: "Whenever I ask my son about something he makes a condescending comment about how he doesn't work there. I'm writing him out of my goddamn will if he does it again."

yeah well he calls me literally any time a website doesnt work and I have to explain that just because I work on computers doesnt necessarily mean I work on the computers that make his particular issue occur.

he has a very bad understanding of computers, which is probably how he ended up turn off mobile data instead of wifi (which he also mentioned 'keeps turning back on when I get home' to which I had to explain was also Apples infinite wisdom.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Laserface posted:

Flight mode doesn't disable WiFi or Bluetooth either but it does disable the cellular radio as required on aircraft. If you turn flight mode on you can't get calls/SMS

The mobile data toggle toggles, wait for it, mobile data. You can still get calls/SMS with mobile data switched off just no internet. The reason people might want this is small data plans with extreme charges for going over, or plans that cost a buttload when roaming

Makes perfect sense

dissss fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 23, 2017

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Laserface posted:

yeah well he calls me literally any time a website doesnt work and I have to explain that just because I work on computers doesnt necessarily mean I work on the computers that make his particular issue occur.

he has a very bad understanding of computers, which is probably how he ended up turn off mobile data instead of wifi (which he also mentioned 'keeps turning back on when I get home' to which I had to explain was also Apples infinite wisdom.

Hey remember when he used to like, change your lovely diapers, and feed you so you didn’t die? Cut your dad some slack and help him when he needs it and don’t be an rear end in a top hat.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dissss posted:

Flight mode doesn't disable WiFi or Bluetooth either but it does disable the cellular radio as required on aircraft. If you turn flight mode on you can't get calls/SMS

The mobile data toggle toggles, wait for it, mobile data. You can still get calls/SMS with mobile data switched off just no internet. The reason people might want this is small data plans with extreme charges for going over, or plans that cost a buttload when roaming

Makes perfect sense

enabling flight mode visibly turns off all three and puts a Strike through Wifi and BT.

and there is no visual cue at all that you have turned off mobile data outside of control center, and even I made the mistake when ios11 first released without realising it was what I had turned off.

you're also the guy who argued that pushing the button that traditionally turned off WiFi and now doesnt actually turn off WiFi but just disconnects you from the network you are presently on was a good idea though so I can see why you would think having an additional toggle for mobile data is a good idea.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mom figured out GIPHY. Guess I gotta block her on imessage now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Hey remember when he used to like, change your lovely diapers, and feed you so you didn’t die? Cut your dad some slack and help him when he needs it and don’t be an rear end in a top hat.

Not the guy you're replying to but I NEVER ASKED TO BE BORN OK

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Is there still a way to revert to pre ios11 at this point in time?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Serenade posted:

Is there still a way to revert to pre ios11 at this point in time?

pretty sure the answer is always no unless apple is still digitally signing that particular ios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Mom figured out GIPHY. Guess I gotta block her on imessage now.

It's a good thing my mom has no idea how to do this because they'd all be religious gifs.