Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Don Gato posted:

Personally I thought the beginning of Diamond Age was a better parody of the typical cyberpunk protagonist. I also thought that in general, The Diamond Age was better but I havent met anyone that agrees with me there.
Now you have. It's more original and much less insufferably selfconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

c
He defied expectations by having a book where MMO politics were somehow more interesting than globetrotting adventure and foiling a terrorist plot.

Reamde was so, so bad.

That's not really all that surprising when you realize that Stephenson's real gift as a writer is taking esoteric, technical stuff and explaining it in compelling ways understandable to layman. His actual plotting and action stuff isn't any better than Micheal Crichton, or Jim Butcher, or any number of other more pulpy genre authors.

I usually hate his overly-technical stuff more because the have the most smug pontificating from the insufferable STEMlord protagonist . At least in the overly-actiony ones like Reamde or Snowcrash, that dude has to get off his pedestal for a while to run away from the bad guys.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Don Gato posted:

Personally I thought the beginning of Diamond Age was a better parody of the typical cyberpunk protagonist. I also thought that in general, The Diamond Age was better but I havent met anyone that agrees with me there.

Also while I liked that book, that's about when I realized that he really has trouble writing endings.
I don't like The Diamond Age (because of the ending thing you mention) but I still like it better than Snow Crash.

I'm not sure that I agree with the idea that Stephenson's strength is in the esoteric technical stuff because my favorite thing he's ever written was the Baroque Cycle and it wasn't very technical at all.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NorgLyle posted:

I don't like The Diamond Age (because of the ending thing you mention) but I still like it better than Snow Crash.

I'm not sure that I agree with the idea that Stephenson's strength is in the esoteric technical stuff because my favorite thing he's ever written was the Baroque Cycle and it wasn't very technical at all.

All that stuff about currency and cryptology doesn't count?

I'm not saying he's writing technical manuals, just that when the plot requires the reader to understand some aspect of mathematical theory or organic chemistry, he has a knack for clear, simple explanations so it doesn't get too dry.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

NorgLyle posted:

I like the first 80% of The Diamond Age a lot. My favorite Stephenson.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I own and generally enjoyed all Stephenson books but I should still get Cryptonomicon as hardcover. The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. was pretty easy to get through, compared to Anathem.

Something different: Xprize sets up a writing contest for established authors and regular folk. One of the rules was to be generally optimistic about the future. Peter Watts knocks it out of the park, but it must’ve been hard for the organization to accept that submission because it’s uh.. technically correct. Other submissions are pretty bad because they don’t come up with anything really new so I guess those qualify for this thread. Didn’t see it mentioned in here after a quick forums search so sorry if this is a dupe.

https://seat14c.com/future_ideas/intro

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I admit I used to love Xanth, I even submitted a couple puns in the hopes he would use them :shepicide:. However at work last night I was thinking of his other series that I remember liking more which was Incarnations of Immortality, and realized that they are still a bit hosed up. Specifically in the book about War he basically says that feminism is a plot from Satan and the main character gets rid of his fiance/wife? because she starts wearing pants and wanting to have her own life. Also Satan's book completely retcons all the previous books and just ruin it. I still like the concept of the different embodiments of War Death etc. being temporary jobs essentially, and I liked the descriptions of how the jobs work and the fact that when one of them temporarily took over someones body it does mention their disorientation because of how people perceive things differently. Unfortunately my enjoyment of them is now marred by knowledge of what type of person Piers is and what type of characters he prefers.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think the best thing I can say about Piers Anthony's character is that he maybe hasn't actually raped anybody. Good for him.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think the best thing I can say about Piers Anthony's character is that he maybe hasn't actually raped anybody yet. Good for him.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think the best thing I can say about Piers Anthony's character is that he maybe hasn't actually raped anybody over 13. Good for him.

Couldn't decide.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I like it when a Piers Anthony character stumbles into the Rape Store and is like "oh hang on, not for me, I'll just have a hamburger steak combo" and when the proprietor says that they aren't serving HB steak and even if they were, they don't do combos, a Culture Mind sneezes and in that wash of ionized molecules both creates and destroys a diner in Reform, Alabama, United States of America, Planet Earth

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Elohssa Gib posted:

I admit I used to love Xanth, I even submitted a couple puns in the hopes he would use them :shepicide:. However at work last night I was thinking of his other series that I remember liking more which was Incarnations of Immortality, and realized that they are still a bit hosed up. Specifically in the book about War he basically says that feminism is a plot from Satan and the main character gets rid of his fiance/wife? because she starts wearing pants and wanting to have her own life.

Ugh, you're dredging up my repressed memories of those books. I think the final(?) book has a scene where two women are turned into men and immediately try to rape each other, this being an empathy-building exercise given to them by a god or something so they can know how hard men have it trying not to rape women. There was also a pedophile judge who has child prostitutes dress in diapers for him, and one of his victims nominates him to take over the role of God because he's so good at heart.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Tagra posted:

I loaded this book because it's sci-fi, and has a female protagonist who is also a military space pilot. It was intriguing and looked like it would be right up my alley.

If you've not read it yet, do yourself a HUGE favor and read the Ancillary trilogy by Ann Leckie. It's brilliant.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I spoiler tagged this earlier on in the thread because it’s disturbing and gross and hateful but you know what? In wake of recent news here it is unspoiled because gently caress Anthony and his disgusting ideas:

The first Incarnations book features a scene where the love interest is tortured by the main henchman via electric shock to her naked tits with a device specifically designed for that purpose. The smell of blackened, burning flesh is described. At one point she tells the protag to keep going on his quest as he’s considering the idea that she’s not really being tortured at all and the villain is just creating an illusion to sway him from his purpose. There is zero description of any aftercare/healing after she’s rescued, nor does the protagonist acknowledge he was wrong to think she was still safe at the time. No clue if it’s brought up in later books but my bet is no.

I can’t remember a drat thing from the second book and quit on the first chapter of the third but frankly that was the scene that put me off the entire genre forever, and given what’s been shared in this thread that was for the best.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

If you've not read it yet, do yourself a HUGE favor and read the Ancillary trilogy by Ann Leckie. It's brilliant.

Second!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Motion passes!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SerialKilldeer posted:

Ugh, you're dredging up my repressed memories of those books. I think the final(?) book has a scene where two women are turned into men and immediately try to rape each other, this being an empathy-building exercise given to them by a god or something so they can know how hard men have it trying not to rape women. There was also a pedophile judge who has child prostitutes dress in diapers for him, and one of his victims nominates him to take over the role of God because he's so good at heart.

It gets worse-better: the book revolves around the protagonists trying to change the definitions of Good and Evil (for the purpose of whether people get into Heaven or Hell when they die), and one of their reasons for this is that the judge (in his 60s) loving a fifteen-year-old was considered Evil and they all decide it shouldn't be. One of the protagonists, of course, is eventually elected God because her soul is exactly half evil and everyone agrees this is a good thing, apparently.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Laserjet 4P posted:

I own and generally enjoyed all Stephenson books but I should still get Cryptonomicon as hardcover. The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. was pretty easy to get through, compared to Anathem.

Something different: Xprize sets up a writing contest for established authors and regular folk. One of the rules was to be generally optimistic about the future. Peter Watts knocks it out of the park, but it must’ve been hard for the organization to accept that submission because it’s uh.. technically correct. Other submissions are pretty bad because they don’t come up with anything really new so I guess those qualify for this thread. Didn’t see it mentioned in here after a quick forums search so sorry if this is a dupe.

Haha. Reading the winning entry and then Watts' was a pretty big hoot.

Link, for the lazy:

https://seat14c.com/future_ideas/37D

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Could you copy and paste it somewhere? That website refuses to load on several devices.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Iron Rose posted:

Link, for the lazy:

Wow, Watts is clearly not down with the contest premise. I wonder who strongarmed him into writing an entry?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

lifg posted:

Seveneves by Stephenson is not good. It’s barely even a book, it’s a series of technological solutions to problems, surrounded by a thin plot and thinner characters. This book might be fine if you read it expecting “The Martian 2.0.” But if you’re like me, and have heard nothing but superlatives about what Stephenson is doing to sci-fi, about his heavy tomes pushing the genre forward, then this book is a heavy let down.

Oh, I wanted to read it :( I didn't read anything by Stephenson and thought that it would be a good place to start. (Probably still will read it though)

edit: Can't decide if Gibson's Blue Ant trilogy is dryer or not than his other works - the anticlimaxes of endings made me reread Bridge and still can't decide.

canis minor has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Oct 23, 2017

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

canis minor posted:

edit: Can't decide if Gibson's Blue Ant trilogy is dryer or not than his other works - the anticlimaxes of endings made me reread Bridge and still can't decide.

I would say they are, and I think deliberately so. At times the Blue Ant books seem like they're deliberately parodying thrillers/Gibson's earlier books.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Laserjet 4P posted:

The winner seems like it went down a list of elements to win a modern book award. It's so formulaic and hand wavy that it reads more like an idle daydream written on Livejournal back at the turn of the century.

Watts' piece, on the other hand, is a punk finger flying in the face of the contest and is glorious.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

PJOmega posted:

The winner seems like it went down a list of elements to win a modern book award. It's so formulaic and hand wavy that it reads more like an idle daydream written on Livejournal back at the turn of the century.
It also has the most worthless opening paragraph I've read in a long, long while.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It also has the most worthless opening paragraph I've read in a long, long while.

The Paragraph in Question posted:

It's a special kind of mindfuck to realize the moment between “Down With The Sickness,” and Shostakovich’s “String Quartet No. 3 (3rd Movement),” was twenty years for the world and maybe two blinks for everyone on that plane. For the record, Shostakovich is as Metal as Classical gets, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

About the Author posted:

Aidan Menuge is a musical composer and performer, and writer, living in the United States. He has composed for nationally recognized chamber groups, maintains a small Youtube channel of his music, and has been recognized for his writing by the UW-Milwaukee English Department.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lifg posted:

Seveneves by Stephenson is not good. It’s barely even a book, it’s a series of technological solutions to problems, surrounded by a thin plot and thinner characters. This book might be fine if you read it expecting “The Martian 2.0.” But if you’re like me, and have heard nothing but superlatives about what Stephenson is doing to sci-fi, about his heavy tomes pushing the genre forward, then this book is a heavy let down.

I like Neal Stephenson (well okay, anathem, diamond age and the baroque cycle) but The Rise and Fall of Dodo was so badly written I got about 30 pages into it and gave up. It read like terrible teenage self published fanfic.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I'll load it immediately! Thanks.

For content, how about a book that is bad for reasons OTHER than sex, rape, or misogyny!

Good Graces, by Lesley Kagan. I ended up rating it 2 stars on Goodreads because it wasn't entirely terrible, but the ending made me :psyduck: in a 'what were you thinking?' sort of way.

The book follows a ~10 year old girl trying to deal with her rebellious little sister in what feels like an abusive relationship, where her sister will do something awful and she'll spend several pages (if not chapters) justifying it to herself via inner monologue. There's a bit of a murder mystery slog to it and a lot of the more interesting aspects of their relationship is set aside as they try to figure out whodunnit.

At the end of the book, these girls, ages 9 and 10, kill the murderer, destroy all the evidence of the deed, and bury his body in a construction pit. Then they go home while all the adults wander around going "where did [murderer] go? Hunh he must have left town." No one ever discovers that he was murdered, or that he was actually the murderer, and everyone carries on their lives in ignorance of the events.

This is presented, unblinkingly, as a lighthearted happy ending.

What the gently caress.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

Watts' piece, on the other hand, is a punk finger flying in the face of the contest and is glorious.

Eh, he glosses over a lot in his quest to indict human nature- it's not just short term gratification that prevents people from doing the right thing but an uncertainty as to what will actually do any good. It's not like everyone knows what's best but just doesn't wanna do it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Link, for the lazy:

Man I hate that webdesign. My optimistic vision of the future is one where we won't have websites that suck as bad.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

PJOmega posted:

I liked the winning entry. What am I missing?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Eh, he glosses over a lot in his quest to indict human nature- it's not just short term gratification that prevents people from doing the right thing but an uncertainty as to what will actually do any good. It's not like everyone knows what's best but just doesn't wanna do it.

Yeah it really smacks of a particular sort of slacktivist types.

"The problem is that nobody wants to think about the BIG PROBLEMS, everybody is shortsighted sheep except me"

In reality people are totally willing to try to tackle big problems and more often than not end up loving things up. People tend closer to the Midgley end of the scale than the Borlaug.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tagra posted:

I'll load it immediately! Thanks.

For content, how about a book that is bad for reasons OTHER than sex, rape, or misogyny!

Good Graces, by Lesley Kagan. I ended up rating it 2 stars on Goodreads because it wasn't entirely terrible, but the ending made me :psyduck: in a 'what were you thinking?' sort of way.

The book follows a ~10 year old girl trying to deal with her rebellious little sister in what feels like an abusive relationship, where her sister will do something awful and she'll spend several pages (if not chapters) justifying it to herself via inner monologue. There's a bit of a murder mystery slog to it and a lot of the more interesting aspects of their relationship is set aside as they try to figure out whodunnit.

At the end of the book, these girls, ages 9 and 10, kill the murderer, destroy all the evidence of the deed, and bury his body in a construction pit. Then they go home while all the adults wander around going "where did [murderer] go? Hunh he must have left town." No one ever discovers that he was murdered, or that he was actually the murderer, and everyone carries on their lives in ignorance of the events.

This is presented, unblinkingly, as a lighthearted happy ending.

What the gently caress.

That's cute as gently caress.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That ending kicks rear end.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ashnjack posted:

I liked the winning entry. What am I missing?

It's glurgey and predictable. Sure, it's just a short essay, but it doesn't go anywhere. The person was sad because their friend got early-onset dementia. Then they went to the future and it was cured! Yay! Also something about apps and being a smart cool coder and all the coffee and also music is the secret key to the brain.

Watts' entry is fantastic. The central concept of a genetically-engineered altruist given supreme authority over life and death is lifted wholesale from his own Maelstrom and Behemoth, but who cares. He's right.

Maxwell Lord posted:

No, it's a lot closer to that than you think. Everyone knows what we need to do about racism, sexism, healthcare, poverty, climate change. Short-term personal greed is absolutely what keeps us from moving forward in those fields.

I think I'll subject myself to the KJA one next

e: it was bad

quote:

Magdalene remembered what the medical techs had said after she collapsed in the terminal. They laughed, relieved that she “only” had brain cancer. She tried to put the pieces together. “So removing a brain tumor is nothing more complicated than getting a filling at the dentist?”

Filled with wonder instead of dread, Magdalene reached out and spread her fingers, extending her hand toward Aspen.
Aspen leaned closer, amused. “A cavity filled at the dentist? Oh, Grandma, we have vaccines against tooth decay. Drilling holes in your teeth and filling them with metal is as outdated as drilling holes in your skull to treat a brain tumor.”

(this is immediately after he describes how her brain tumor was treated with future medical tech by drilling a hole in her skull, albeit a very small one)

:hurr:

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Oct 24, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Everyone knows what we need to do about racism, sexism, healthcare, poverty, climate change. Short-term personal greed is absolutely what keeps us from moving forward in those fields.

We have a general idea. The EXACT things we need to do are a little more nebulous. So, okay- what precise policies do we enact? What's the exact formula for ending racism? What precise level of sacrifice will save the planet, or whatever (and don't get me started on the nebulous phrasing of such a concept- the problem isn't life on Earth ending, it's Earth's ecosystem becoming hostile to human survival.)

And there's the fact that some people don't accept the reality. The walking over coals analogy doesn't hold- we can't see utopia in front of us if only we were willing to make these sacrifices, some of us don't know or don't believe it's there, some of us honestly do not think that you can have clean energy or socialism that isn't the USSR or people of different ethnicities living together in harmony. That these people are wrong doesn't help if we can't convince them, and the idea that they deep down know things would be better is, to me, like the fundamentalist Christian belief that everyone knows God and Jesus are real, nonbelievers just don't want to stop sinning. It's not a view that wins a lot of converts.

So if the real problem is how do you convince those people that we should stop pollution and racism and sexism and all that, just rewiring their pleasure centers isn't gonna do it. They have to be convinced the sacrifice WILL lead to a positive goal.

What good is it if I cut my electricity consumption by 100%, go out into the woods and live in a cabin, if we can't actually enact any cutbacks to industrial pollution? My joining the local DSA chapter won't desegregate the neighborhood or stop the President from inciting nuclear war with North Korea. You look at D&D or left Twitter and it's all despair, nobody's offering real hope because we decided that's a sucker's game. Nobody has any real solutions.

I'm just sick of nihilism. The person who comes into a group of people trying to envision something vaguely positive in these despairing times and decides what we need is even more despair isn't punk, that's just being an rear end in a top hat.

Maxwell Lord has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Oct 24, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

. Everyone knows what we need to do about racism, sexism, healthcare, poverty, climate change.

Cool, give me your exact plan that everyone agrees is necessary.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Cool, give me your exact plan that everyone agrees is necessary.

Dehumanise yourself and face to bloodshed.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
I liked the line about not wanting to put an alien machine with incomprehensible thought processes in control. What do they think they just did...

Trauma Dog 3000 has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Oct 24, 2017

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

We have a general idea. The EXACT things we need to do are a little more nebulous. So, okay- what precise policies do we enact? What's the exact formula for ending racism? What precise level of sacrifice will save the planet, or whatever (and don't get me started on the nebulous phrasing of such a concept- the problem isn't life on Earth ending, it's Earth's ecosystem becoming hostile to human survival.)

This is a problem that plagues a lot of dystopian fiction. The author sits up there on his cloud casting judgement on the whole world, then offers a “solution” that’s pure sci-fi techno-wizardry. That way he gets to rant about the problems he sees in society, but without having to offer a practical alternative because hey, someone will take control of everyone's magic brain implants and force them to kill themselves.

It doesn't help that these authors all seem to think they're saying something revolutionary, when really they're just rehashing the same tired critiques of modern society that everyone has heard a million times over. Am I supposed to be shocked at the idea of killing a large portion of humanity to save the world? Because I've heard that plenty of times as well, usually from some cackling one-dimensional villain in a video game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I think you have to take Watts' piece in the context in which it appears: in a collection full of sappy optimism (which is fine in theory - there are few enough optimistic sci fi novels out there), except for the fact that the three different short stories I read randomly, picked out of the drop of the hat, were boring rear end "yay future disease is gone." Within such a restricted creative environment, I have to give credit to Watts for ensuring his piece technically qualified while undermining the entire theme of the short story series. That's what I find impressive, not the short story itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

I think you have to take Watts' piece in the context in which it appears: in a collection full of sappy optimism (which is fine in theory - there are few enough optimistic sci fi novels out there), except for the fact that the three different short stories I read randomly, picked out of the drop of the hat, were boring rear end "yay future disease is gone." Within such a restricted creative environment, I have to give credit to Watts for ensuring his piece technically qualified while undermining the entire theme of the short story series. That's what I find impressive, not the short story itself.

See, I prefer sappy optimism to taking a poo poo on people's attempts to envision a better future.