Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I'm coming up to ~100ex in HSC but I don't have any stupid expensive builds left that I want to make. I already made a wander, any other ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Lightning Tendrils to suck less soon

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Looks neat but as Mathil put it I'm keeping my dick sheathed, after Charged Dash and Storm Burst. Lightning skills are cursed, I tells ya.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
They changed the skill effect, It looks far better now.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I really like lightning arrow.

Y
Sep 29, 2004

it's time to step up
I played the starter Max Block Scorching Ray Necromancer build in the OP and I'd like to note some stuff about it.

- It's not a bad starter, you can do just about everything with it, and it's probably just as viable next league if Scorching Ray doesn't see serious nerfs (it might). I haven't done Uber Atziri but it's probably possible with decent execution, and Shaper is not terribly tough. You can go straight into yellow maps with no good gear.
- That being said it's not a well-tuned endgame build. You don't have a huge life pool and running cold on blocks can just get you smashed into the floor on encounters like Chimera and you have no recourse except to drink health flasks. You don't do a bazillion damage like the Righteous Fire/Scorching Ray builds either. It's probably better to play a build that starts slower but has a higher peak.
- Mapping is slow-ish, playing a fast movement build will spoil you. Clear speed isn't bad though since you penetrate shields, sweep the room in 1 second, outrange bosses a lot etc.
- Rather than being stuck using Doedre's Damning forever it's better to just eventually spec into Whispers of Doom so you can free up your second ring. Another option is to get a corrupted Stone of Lazhwar with +1 curses which isn't that expensive because no one uses this neck. Alternatively you can probably create one for yourself. Even better, do both so you can run a triple curse setup. I'm using Flammability and Enfeeble with Vulnerability coming from Witchfire Brew.
- Rather than buying an off-color Lioneye's Remorse, use Rathpith Globe instead, it gives you about as much EHP (very slightly less life and very slightly more energy shield) and spell damage, a little lightning resist, and another spell block converter giving you a lot more base spellblock and making getting block capped a lot easier. You can also use the Harbinger unique Unshattered Will for more damage and mana gained on block.
- The Scourge is about as good as Doryani's Catalyst even on bosses where you don't get the wolves, as long as you're hitting with Orb of Storms constantly. On trash it generates a shitload of minions that are really useful. It's not very expensive either. Don't use it until you get your full ascendancy points though because otherwise you won't match Doryani's due to not having enough minion damage nodes.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

New lightning tendrils looks a lot nicer but its still an extemely short range spell, which sucks

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of the OP builds, this was the build I played further this league (Cyclone Slayer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YbcFGezpKI

It's the first build with which I managed to do all guardians, shaper and breaches, killed Shaper on my second ever attempt. It's not listed in the OP, and I don't know for sure how good it is compared to the others, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 23, 2017

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Indecisive posted:

New lightning tendrils looks a lot nicer but its still an extemely short range spell, which sucks

I want to try it with CwC Arc and see what happens. Or maybe BL, I guess. Just seems like it'll be so drat pretty with Arc.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Elentor posted:

Speaking of the OP builds, this was the build I played further this league (Cyclone Slayer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YbcFGezpKI

It's the first build with which I managed to do all guardians, shaper and breaches, killed Shaper on my second ever attempt. It's not listed in the OP, and I don't know for sure how good it is compared to the others, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Added this one to the OP. There are millions of cyclone builds out there but if it got you first time guardian and shaper kills thats a good enough vouch for me.

Y posted:

I played the starter Max Block Scorching Ray Necromancer build in the OP and I'd like to note some stuff about it.

stuff

It's always nice to see feedback from someone who has actually tried these builds. I'd still really like to flesh out the builds section of the OP but it is consistently the most difficult part to keep up with and decide what to include. I was going to include this commentary about the build in the OP buuuut I just hit the character limit, so I'd have to split builds off entirely into the second post and possibly put effort in. :suicide:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Sarcastro posted:

I want to try it with CwC Arc and see what happens. Or maybe BL, I guess. Just seems like it'll be so drat pretty with Arc.

This is what I immediately thought of when I saw it. I only wish tendrils itself chained at least once.

Y
Sep 29, 2004

it's time to step up

J posted:

I was going to include this commentary about the build in the OP buuuut I just hit the character limit, so I'd have to split builds off entirely into the second post and possibly put effort in. :suicide:

Yeah don't bother I probably don't know what I'm talking about. This is my first league to get beyond act 4 (I played a bit of Essence before) and it was my first character.

Just to note how low the DPS is, you're doing 220k to Shaper/Guardians in the gear I'm wearing and I was lucky enough to vaal a level 21 Scorching Ray on my first attempt. This isn't as bad as it sounds because you have basically 100% uptime but you can probably do like 5 times as much DPS and be just as tanky with a more expensive RF/SR build.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
I finally was able to really get into PoE and made it thru all 10 acts and I'm now on maps. The problem I have now is I cannot progress, I am dying enough to lose all my xp on the maps that I've tried and I'm stuck at 67. To be honest, the final boss of act 10 I died probably 75 times to. The guide I followed was Ghazzy's SRS Baron build. I do not have the Baron as I can't afford it, however I found a Tabula early so I have the srs built out, as well as a few other items he said to get for leveling.

My fire and lightning resist are -30% so I'm guessing that's a big problem. My cold is around 17% so at least it's above 0. On bosses I do poo poo damage as well, which I did see would be a problem in the build guide, but I don't know how to address. He mentioned lightning trap, so I tossed that in but not sure how to utilize it.

I have 7 chaos and 3 vaal orbs and a bunch of other currency that may or may not be valuble.

I think this link will show my character? Urrdazenx: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Essential/characters

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to get this character back in the action.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

start by maxing your non-chaos resists

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Awesome! posted:

start by maxing your non-chaos resists

^^^^
this

starting mapping its generally expected to have 75/75/75 in all resists (except chaos). 70 is acceptable just starting out. poe.trade some gear

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Then get some actual defenses. Having a Tabula can be OK if you can make up the lack of defensive stats elsewhere, but you're nowhere near close to that, even if you pick up a bunch of life on the tree (which you have).

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Essential posted:

I finally was able to really get into PoE and made it thru all 10 acts and I'm now on maps. The problem I have now is I cannot progress, I am dying enough to lose all my xp on the maps that I've tried and I'm stuck at 67. To be honest, the final boss of act 10 I died probably 75 times to. The guide I followed was Ghazzy's SRS Baron build. I do not have the Baron as I can't afford it, however I found a Tabula early so I have the srs built out, as well as a few other items he said to get for leveling.

My fire and lightning resist are -30% so I'm guessing that's a big problem. My cold is around 17% so at least it's above 0. On bosses I do poo poo damage as well, which I did see would be a problem in the build guide, but I don't know how to address. He mentioned lightning trap, so I tossed that in but not sure how to utilize it.

I have 7 chaos and 3 vaal orbs and a bunch of other currency that may or may not be valuble.

I think this link will show my character? Urrdazenx: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Essential/characters

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to get this character back in the action.

You're probably looking for Vaal lightning trap (random result from vaal orbing regular lightning trap), it leaves shocked ground which causes enemies to take more damage.

And to echo what others have said, your resists are dumpster tier and you should fix that asap. Looks like you aren't using master crafting, which you should. Haku and Elreon are your best friends.

To start with you can probably upgrade to some gear with mediocre to no flat life, provided they help get your resists capped.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 24, 2017

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Essential posted:

The main stats you want are life and resists for now. Gem levels will be your best bet to get your damage up, which mostly means just playing the game and leveling.

Here's some 1c rings that will help you get your life + resist: http://poe.trade/search/uzumanawidohih

Do similar searches for gloves, boots, etc.

You can also get a +3 staff (i think he talks about it in his guide), and a 5 link version of that will be plenty. That lets you get a chest piece that has life + resists to keep yourself tanky.

If you're not at 75% for all elemental resists you're going to have a bad time.

For lightning trap, you probably want Vaal Lightning Trap, but it's not really necessary.

You also want to fix your flasks - make one of your life flasks instant (bubbling or seething). Roll some suffixes on your flasks as well - you want anti-freeze (of heat), anti-bleed (of staunching), and anti-curse (of warding).

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Thanks so much for the help! Looks like I'm way, way off on resists. I really appreciate the poe.trade link you provided interrodactyl. And you guys were right about vaal lightning trap.

interrodactyl, what do you mean by +3 staff? I did see that in the guide, however I haven't quite yet figured out what that means. I'll look into rolling those suffixes on the flasks as well.

edit: With aura's, you can cast them and then remove them from the skill bar and they will remain active? One problem with the build guide is I see too many skills for the number of skill slots and I was wondering what exactly I was supposed to do.

Essential fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 24, 2017

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Essential posted:

With aura's, you can cast them and then remove them from the skill bar and they will remain active?

Yes

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Essential posted:

interrodactyl, what do you mean by +3 staff? I did see that in the guide, however I haven't quite yet figured out what that means. I'll look into rolling those suffixes on the flasks as well.

+3 to gem level. For spells and minions, +gem level is probably the biggest damage boost period. For SRS, you'll want a +2 to Fire gems, +1 to all; SRS has the Fire tag, so it benefits from both, so +3 levels total. Going from level 20 to level 23 is a 30% damage boost, and at lower levels it's an even bigger bump. Then you get the benefit from your support gems having +1/+3 levels as well.

Essential posted:

edit: With aura's, you can cast them and then remove them from the skill bar and they will remain active? One problem with the build guide is I see too many skills for the number of skill slots and I was wondering what exactly I was supposed to do.

Yes, and thanks to a recent patch, they'll stay active between logins, but you have to re-cast if you die/change gear.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

whypick1 posted:

+3 to gem level. For spells and minions, +gem level is probably the biggest damage boost period. For SRS, you'll want a +2 to Fire gems, +1 to all; SRS has the Fire tag, so it benefits from both, so +3 levels total. Going from level 20 to level 23 is a 30% damage boost, and at lower levels it's an even bigger bump. Then you get the benefit from your support gems having +1/+3 levels as well.

Yes, and thanks to a recent patch, they'll stay active between logins, but you have to re-cast if you die/change gear.

Got it thanks. To clarify, is +gem level equivalent to leveling the gem? If so, this means that a gem will cap from leveling at 20, but you can go over this limit with items/skills/passives that raise it?

And hot drat, that is really important to know about aura's! I've been keeping haste and clarity on my skill bar this whole time :S

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah so if you have a 20 gem and +3 its functionally a lvl 23 gem

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yes. Gems can't be leveled past 20 no matter what, but can exceed that in one of three ways:

1. Gear, as mentioned
2. Vaal Orb corrupting +1 level onto the gem (needs to be done at level 20 to get to 21)
3. The Empower gem

A corrupted Empower linked to a corrupted gem in a +3 level weapon yields +8 levels total (+3 from gear, +1 from Vaal, +4 from Empower getting Vaal'd and affected by +1 from gear)

Note: this sure as poo poo ain't cheap, so don't rely on getting it. +3 weapon? Go for it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I still wish you could save a group of auras to be cast in the click of a single button, letting LL characters and aura stackers a way to play in PvP.

I have a LL max block scorching ray character that is theoretically insanely powerful in pvp but I can never be assed to play it.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Yes. Gems can't be leveled past 20 no matter what, but can exceed that in one of three ways:

1. Gear, as mentioned
2. Vaal Orb corrupting +1 level onto the gem (needs to be done at level 20 to get to 21)
3. The Empower gem

A corrupted Empower linked to a corrupted gem in a +3 level weapon yields +8 levels total (+3 from gear, +1 from Vaal, +4 from Empower getting Vaal'd and affected by +1 from gear)

Note: this sure as poo poo ain't cheap, so don't rely on getting it. +3 weapon? Go for it.

Awesome! posted:

yeah so if you have a 20 gem and +3 its functionally a lvl 23 gem

Great, thanks so much for the information, it's super useful! Man this game has so many layers. I can't believe how much sense aura's make to me now that I know they can be cast and the skill replaced. It's obvious in hindsight but has been causing me so much confusion.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Jesus, PoE left beta 4 years ago today :corsair:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually feel like it's been longer than that. My friends had to remind me that D3 came out before PoE because that's not how my memory works at all. To me 4 years ago is like yesterday.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

interrodactyl posted:

I'm coming up to ~100ex in HSC but I don't have any stupid expensive builds left that I want to make. I already made a wander, any other ideas?

low life phys crit bladeflurry with headhunter

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Can I get an invite to guild please - BangDanus

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Updates to end of Harbinger/beginning of next league schedule.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

aejix posted:

Can I get an invite to guild please - BangDanus

Invite sent

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Wezlar posted:

this could work as a high level guardian that stacks STR

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
just hope your coruscating elixir never ever drops off

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

just hope your coruscating elixir never ever drops off

Is using coruscating elixir instead of Shavs actually workable in practice or is a giant PITA? I sometimes see builds posted that do this but I'm never really clear whether it's a good idea or just someone trying to get their Path of Building numbers as high as possible, and I kind of suspect the latter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Is using coruscating elixir instead of Shavs actually workable in practice or is a giant PITA? I sometimes see builds posted that do this but I'm never really clear whether it's a good idea or just someone trying to get their Path of Building numbers as high as possible, and I kind of suspect the latter.

It lasts a long drat time so it shouldn't be that hard to keep up. Probably not something to boss with unless you have gratuitous dps, tho.

e: a pathfinder with a good flask belt and all the generic flask nodes on the tree gets 3 uses that each last almost 14 seconds. Surely you can kill 19 mobs in that time.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 25, 2017

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Wezlar posted:

Why all the effort to go lowlife and talk of coruscating elixir on a blade flurry build? Unless I'm missing something this seems extremely bad?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Why all the effort to go lowlife and talk of coruscating elixir on a blade flurry build? Unless I'm missing something this seems extremely bad?

It's a way to blow terrifying amounts of money.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Artificial Idiocy posted:

another three auras (you are obv using skyforths) means tons of extra elemental dps, but yeah no need for elixir when you have a 6L shavs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

It lasts a long drat time so it shouldn't be that hard to keep up. Probably not something to boss with unless you have gratuitous dps, tho.

e: a pathfinder with a good flask belt and all the generic flask nodes on the tree gets 3 uses that each last almost 14 seconds. Surely you can kill 19 mobs in that time.

I was thinking more in terms of "fiddly and annoying and one mistake leads to your death". I guess pressing a button every 14 seconds isn't too bad