Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Broken Record Talk posted:

Potentially losing more guys seems perfectly fine and fluffy to me. Squad takes casualties, lose their nerve, start to flee, commissar caps a guy in the head, dudes glance around and realize there are now even less guys to keep them safe, more flee.

Shooting guys in the head to maintain moral isn't the best strategy, but it works sometimes, and backfires other times. Checks out to me.

Guard having stellar leadership shouldn't really be a thing.

Hell, it's nice having at least ONE army actually have to worry about Ld. So many armies basically ignore it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
The whole point of conscripts is that they are unwilling garbage forced to fight. Yes normal AM infantry are better, they're trained.

You take conscrpits for numbers period. This fits in with what they do. The Commissar change was needed as a big change rule wise was having infantry die to morale instead of it being a non factor, it too easily made it a non factor. These changes were coming a mile away.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
How does an ld aura interact with ld penalties?

The way I see it, if some nasties with a -ld aura roll up on conscripts and a commissar is behind them, it doesn't work because they use his ld instead of their own and his ld isn't debuffed. Does that work?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hell, it's nice having at least ONE army actually have to worry about Ld. So many armies basically ignore it now.

Ld feels really weird in practice, in all the games I have seen a player will lose less than 5 models in a game, the one exception is my tau where I typically lose a decent handful each game.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

R0ckfish posted:

Ld feels really weird in practice, in all the games I have seen a player will lose less than 5 models in a game, the one exception is my tau where I typically lose a decent handful each game.

Because prior to this change you generally had two kinds of armies:

Armies with relatively low model count and high ld so by the time you've killed enough to make them fail a test the unit is either gone or there's one guy left that runs

Or hordes that ignore ld as a mechanic entirety

Only a handful of armies fall outside that, like fire warrior tau.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

How does an ld aura interact with ld penalties?

The way I see it, if some nasties with a -ld aura roll up on conscripts and a commissar is behind them, it doesn't work because they use his ld instead of their own and his ld isn't debuffed. Does that work?

Depends on the target, my rear end in a top hat friend's butcher cannons drop the squads Ld specifically, but if they're standing near my chaplain then when they test morale they use his leadership not their own, so the modifier has no effect.

If the effect says take a test at -x then yeah the modifier still applies because its not modifying the leadership its modifying the test.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I'd like a stronger penalty to just shuffling out of combat. Nothing like getting into combat, then watch something shuffle away usually with no penalties then having an elite combat unit die to gun shots. At least let me attack them if they want to disengage or affect the bs of nearby units not wanting to hit fleeing allies.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah it's extremely fluffy and good to have conscripts and commissars be completely ineffective units that no one will ever take, I love those.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

For_Great_Justice posted:

I'd like a stronger penalty to just shuffling out of combat. Nothing like getting into combat, then watch something shuffle away usually with no penalties then having an elite combat unit die to gun shots. At least let me attack them if they want to disengage or affect the bs of nearby units not wanting to hit fleeing allies.

Yeah I have a hard time with using my vanguard and that's part of the problem. Jump infantry can't reroll charges, don't get hammer of wrath, get fewer attacks due to the change to pistols and having two weapons, and the opponent just backs off and shoots them.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

It's also fluffy that eldar murder everything with minimal casualties. All is right with the world

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Hixson posted:

It's also fluffy that eldar murder everything with minimal casualties. All is right with the world

This, but unironically.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The problem with melee units is that they're really never safe anymore. Either they get shot after killing an enemy, or they get shot after not killing an enemy who disengages. It doesn't help that, with the combat phase being the only phase to have alternating activations, you have literally no reason to keep your ranged units in melee unless you think they can score a surprise win.

This is why stratagems like White Scars are underwhelming, I feel. You really won't be in melee more than one turn unless your opponent seriously has no other option.

The real problem is, how do you balance it so melee units don't make ranged units completely helpless?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah it's extremely fluffy and good to have conscripts and commissars be completely ineffective units that no one will ever take, I love those.

They're still the best wounds per point in the entire game and stuck next to a commissar their low leadership stops being as much of a problem, they've gone from being the best unit in the game for screening and holding ground by miles to being merely good.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

This is why stratagems like White Scars are underwhelming, I feel. You really won't be in melee more than one turn unless your opponent seriously has no other option.

The real problem is, how do you balance it so melee units don't make ranged units completely helpless?

Not giving them the option is your goal though, you only need to baselock minimum one dude to stop the entire squad from leaving.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Even with these changes Guard are still going to be a top tier army. This will just make it so there are viable ways to fight back.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Artum posted:

Not giving them the option is your goal though, you only need to baselock minimum one dude to stop the entire squad from leaving.

I've yet to have something base locked in the games I've played. There is always room to move out. I could flood the feild with 30 raptors but outside high roll deep strike charges they never can swarm hard enough where stuff just goes "lol see ya" an almost every opponent has a method to shoot after an not care via fly or marine tactics or wraith guard who can just step back an auto kill anything in 8 inches.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The Bee posted:

Add a generic 1CP Strategem that allows a melee unit to make an additional charge roll to follow up on a disengaging unit? So you can retain melee connection, but it'll possibly fail and it's gonna start eating into your CP's pretty quickly?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

For_Great_Justice posted:

I've yet to have something base locked in the games I've played. There is always room to move out. I could flood the feild with 30 raptors but outside high roll deep strike charges they never can swarm hard enough where stuff just goes "lol see ya" an almost every opponent has a method to shoot after an not care via fly or marine tactics or wraith guard who can just step back an auto kill anything in 8 inches.

Again your goal is generally to lock one dude and you do that with your pile in and consolidate rather than your charge. If my dumb rear end can do it with squads of 5 the rest of you can do it with squads of 10

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Base locking seems like it might be feasible for Hormagants, because they have huge numbers and a 6 inch pile in move. Even then, though, you need to Ice Capade around their base in a way that brings you a quarter inch or so closer while also maneuvering behind them. Even then, it works best against small units, units already blocked on one side by cover, and units where falling back would actually have a risk (ex: ObSec space marines covering the point trying to wiggle out of your Berserker cone of shame.)

Good point, though. MSU units each taking a differerent corner, or multi-side flank charges, probably makes boxing in a lot more efficient. It also gives you two swings for their every one.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

Berserker cone of shame.

I have my first encounter with that this tuesday, I'm not looking forward to it.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Summary Execution is mandatory and has a good chance of making things worse. If you needed a 1 and rolled a two, congrats, you lose a model and reroll into a worse result. Commissars make your army actively worse now.

Basically, conscripts were fine without commissars. Commissars were fine with everything but conscripts. And to solve that they nerfed both units into the ground.

These guys look ridiculously badass, nice work.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How posable/customizable are the marine biker kits? Like, if you ran an all-bike army, are you just gonna have tons of duplicate dudes or can they be made to look a little different?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
can't speak for the ravenwing stuff but the old bikers are pretty much interchangeable with regular marine bits from the waist up.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

goose willis posted:

How posable/customizable are the marine biker kits? Like, if you ran an all-bike army, are you just gonna have tons of duplicate dudes or can they be made to look a little different?

From making more bikes across marines an csm than I can count its both fun and customisable. Giving one a pistal arm, or chainsword arm or holding a melta/plasma gun can make them not identical. Characters on bikes are very fun to build.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Bike surfing or bust.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Artum posted:

Bike surfing or bust.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Guys I'm torn. Everyone says Eldar are pretty sweet but on the other hand no new aspect warriors.

gently caress GW or no?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Boon posted:

gently caress GW

HEY

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Bee posted:

Base locking seems like it might be feasible for Hormagants, because they have huge numbers and a 6 inch pile in move. Even then, though, you need to Ice Capade around their base in a way that brings you a quarter inch or so closer while also maneuvering behind them. Even then, it works best against small units, units already blocked on one side by cover, and units where falling back would actually have a risk (ex: ObSec space marines covering the point trying to wiggle out of your Berserker cone of shame.)

Good point, though. MSU units each taking a differerent corner, or multi-side flank charges, probably makes boxing in a lot more efficient. It also gives you two swings for their every one.

Everyone says "beer and chips" game, then whip out the laser pointer and measure each loving nano-meter during combat to squeeze out every last bit of movement. Fiddly and annoying.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

LordAba posted:

Everyone says "beer and chips" game, then whip out the laser pointer and measure each loving nano-meter during combat to squeeze out every last bit of movement. Fiddly and annoying.

I dont go the trouble of varnishing my poo poo to go and get chip dust on it. :colbert:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Boon posted:

Guys I'm torn. Everyone says Eldar are pretty sweet but on the other hand no new aspect warriors.

gently caress GW or no?

You know the answer

gently caress GW

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Buy More

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

LordAba posted:

This is the eternal hypocritical argument with Hams. Its for fun! Then they do that poo poo.

These are just fun fluffy rules! Then they exploit them to the fullest via spam or loop holes.

Just own it. Admit you want to steam roll every game with your my mans army.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
In it's latest edition Warmachine just dumped break tests completely, and literally no one misses it. I really wonder if having them in 40k at all is necessary.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

StuG Jeebus posted:

In it's latest edition Warmachine just dumped break tests completely, and literally no one misses it. I really wonder if having them in 40k at all is necessary.

I dunno, in Warhammer-scale games, that just feels like it'd lead to "Who can fit the most bodies onto their side of the board" and result in a big Civil War-esque stand-and-shoot dirge.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

For 90 man conscrpit units? Yes.

Edit: In wmh the game is built around straight murder. In 40k its built around insanity and buckets of dice. Morale is there because watching two marine armies slug it out an stagnate because atsknf said they could just say gently caress it and keep fighting for hours was completely uninteresting and lovely.

For_Great_Justice fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 23, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

StuG Jeebus posted:

I had someone lose the last 2 chaos terminators in a squad due to morale, was pretty rad.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

How decent are these boys as Valhallans?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

goose willis posted:

How decent are these boys as Valhallans?

Real shrimpy apparently
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/2/21/20765-Artizan,%20Bolt%20Action,%20Crusader,%20Scale,%20World%20War%202.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

That seems to be an older metal model, unless I don't understand Bolt Action's model line very well