Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Laputanmachine posted:

Dude what? He blatantly copypastes everything and he has like 3 or 4 of bodies, faces and hairs that he combines to characters and then differentiates with colors. He's Buckley 2.0 and I'm eagerly waiting for his Loss.jaypeg.

I know that's an unpopular opinion. But I've looked at his Twitter feed and he does poo poo outside of his wheelhouse. The dude can loving draw.

He's got his own style, to be sure, but he's not a lazy draftsman, at least when he's not cranking out nerd fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Eat poo poo Gilchrist

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

What poor phrasing.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Today's Garf was... good?!

I want to print every burn on Gilchrist in this thread into a handsome volume and submit it to the Library of Congress because he really is insanely terrible, and this way, the totally deserved insults would be forever attached to the subject heading "Gilchrist, Guy".

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't understand this Dennis The Menace

is it part of the lore that his dad is illiterate or something

I think the joke is that reading glasses don't actually do the reading for you, but the joke would be better if the illustration showed Dennis wearing the glasses or handing them annoyedly back to his dad.

Either that or dad's having a rough time with this particular bedtime story.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

random Wallace

Curtis Gets Roofied

Baby Blues

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

I was thinking it had a kind of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid vibe to it, but it's not quite exact.
That's exactly what I thought of.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

It's probably Gwen that punched the guy, but it doesn't matter. It's way out of character for either of them and therefore stupid.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 13, 1996)

You and me both, Arlo.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Flash Gordon July, 1956

Once again, it is demonstrated that the magical weapon wielding system of government can be highly unstable.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Kennel posted:

Nancy

Dustin

Double doses of misogyny today.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rocket Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sunday

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

TofuDiva posted:

Ballard Street

(Alas, we're nearly to the end of the backfile I had accumulated, so henceforth it's one per day.)

This is way up there among my favourite strips of all time. Just look at it :allears:

I feel it could be a good avatar, but maybe it's a bit too spread out for it to work.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
We don't usually do Doonesbury in this thread, but today has a flashback all the way to May 29, 1973...

(Several papers, including the Washington Post refused to run the original strip. It didn't appear in the Post until 2014.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
One of the things I find really interesting about how "Doonesbury's" style evolved is going back and looking at the older strips, vs. how Trudeau changed things up after his break in the mid-'80s.

In the early strips, like that one from 1973, he'd often redraw the "set" three or four times, with the bulk of the joke coming from dialogue. When he comes back, he starts doing all sorts of new angles and different shots to break things up, like the third panel being entirely in silhouette, or Dutch angles, or characters moving off-panel.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BigglesSWE posted:

This is way up there among my favourite strips of all time. Just look at it :allears:

I feel it could be a good avatar, but maybe it's a bit too spread out for it to work.

Your wish, my command - just in case these work.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is a tech support nightmare.

Working Daze couldn't even go back and use the fill tool.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix doesn't like malcontents.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze couldn't even go back and use the fill tool.

If you're talking about her hair, I think Pennywise scared it white a few days ago. And I hate that I know that.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

"My "boyfriend" has a hidden violent side which comes out at the slitest provocation! This is great for some reason!"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

"My "boyfriend" has a hidden violent side which comes out at the slitest provocation! This is great for some reason!"

No, see, he Defended Her Sacred Honor. Why, she might even give him a pat on the shoulder for this!

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

"I've seen the movie 'Booty Call'. The local Blockbuster Video has several VHS copies of it in stock."

9 Chickweed Lane

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Coatlicue posted:

Double doses of misogyny today.

what bizarro world do you come from where females don't want men to buy them stuff?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

"Not 'Monster Mash' again!"

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Dry Humor

Sam's unbroken streak of being useless and having stuff happen to him randomly continues.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 14, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 14, 1996)

Garfield Classic (March 14, 1986)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

:ms:

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 23, 2017

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 17, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (March 4, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (March 31, 1924)

Lil' Abner (November 30, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Barney Google (April 3, 1923)

Alley Oop (July 3, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (June 28, 1935)

Dickie Dare (August 11, 1933)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

treasureplane posted:

Dickie Dare (August 11, 1933)

It's tough being a guy's noodle in Robin Hood's day, I see.

the bus

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise presents A Few Flowers for the Colonel

Peter O'Donnell posted:

The strip had been running for some nineteen years by the time that I penned "A Few Flowers for the Colonel" and I had the notion that I wanted to see Modesty in an inescapable life-or-death situation. I was always looking to add a little more to her character and over the years I must say I was very pleased to see how she turned out.

To be honest, most of my writing is what people might call "character driven" – I keep a constant watch for people who strike me as intriguing in my day to day life, either by meeting them in person or reading about them in a newspaper or magazine, little parts of them find their way into my characters and my stories as well. I can't tell you where Colonel Rodney Spooner (Royal Engineers Rtrd.) came from, or even if he was one person in particular. I suspect he's a combination of many people. Still, he did spring from my imagination and seemed to take shape as I wrote the story.

I set the tale in a familiar location to me, the desert. l served in the 8th Army during WWll and did the whole Benghazi handicap caper. The desert has such a varied terrain, rock and stone to sand and dunes – but it's no beach picnic. I would say that I got a lot of ideas about the locations for my stories from places I have actually visited and I have been fortunate enough to visit more than a few. Sometimes I feel I should see Willie and Modesty sitting in a café somewhere in the background of my holiday snaps!

Without giving too much of the story away, I feel it's safe to mention that there is a nunnery involved and naturally a group of nuns. Now I find it amusing that I have made Willie their shepherd for the tale but I felt he qualifies since he is most knowledgeable regarding the psalms, even if he did learn them while being detained in a hell hole of a jail in Calcutta.

I think I'll leave this one here now and let you get to the story (tthe finale starts at #5489). I hope you like how it turns out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

adrienbrodyadrienbrody adrienbrodyadrienbrody

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

:ms:

Lothar's just so stoked that he solved it first. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Double Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

Double The Amazing Mole Man

Nancy

• Locked thread