Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

0toShifty posted:

What's the AUTO BLAT FAIL light for?

AUTO SLAT FAIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Craptacular posted:

AUTO SLAT FAIL

well that makes a LOT more sense!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A340s - good looking?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ehhhhhhhh.

Bit 'Pencil' looking if you know what i mean. Just long thin tubes with wings slapped on.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Deptfordx posted:

Ehhhhhhhh.

Bit 'Pencil' looking if you know what i mean. Just long thin tubes with wings slapped on.

Ditto. Not ugly, but a bit disproportionate. And Qatar livery makes any plane look good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you don't like them thin...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cat Mattress posted:

If you don't like them thin...

not thicc enough

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
[me, looking at any four-engined airliner]: well, it's no Convair 990.

hnnnnghhhhhh

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 22, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

[me, looking at any four-engined airliner]: well, it's no Convair 990.

I feel like you could start a 'disruptive' aircraft company for 'fast, subsonic' airliners and secretly just copy the Convair 990, and if you stocked the management with enough finance bros you'd have a company at least as respected as boom

Also WTF: what airline painted what city it flew to on its side?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also WTF: what airline painted what city it flew to on its side?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Ports_of_Call

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fun fact;The CJ805-23 on the CV990 was one of very few aft-fan turbofans ever built, and I’m reasonably sure it is the only one to ever be produced in any real quantity.

Due to the design of the fan, it required a new name for the last-stage turbine blades (which had to protrude through the turbine case, and were also the fan blades,) which is also one of my favorite aviation words: Blucket.

:downs:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Il-62 chat - there’s a freight version due in at the airport I live next door to (Doncaster, UK) tomorrow.

EW-450TR of Rada Airlines coming from Cameroon and going out to Libya.

I love the odd little tail wheel thing it has.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Fun fact;The CJ805-23 on the CV990 was one of very few aft-fan turbofans ever built, and I’m reasonably sure it is the only one to ever be produced in any real quantity.

Due to the design of the fan, it required a new name for the last-stage turbine blades (which had to protrude through the turbine case, and were also the fan blades,) which is also one of my favorite aviation words: Blucket.

:downs:

Prop fans are weirder.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Convair 990 is better looking but I always loved the fact that 880 used four loving J79s

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s unreal how loud old airports must’ve been.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Previa_fun posted:

The Convair 990 is better looking but I always loved the fact that 880 used four loving J79s

Needs a picture of a crying B-58 with the burners lit.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is only a few increments better than the photoshop of the V-22 refueling the F-35B.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Nebakenezzer posted:

The smithsonian aerospace magazine has a good article on the Tu-4. It turns out even that was a fairly impressive achievement in aerospace.

This article? https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/made-in-the-ussr-38442437/

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

hobbesmaster posted:

Prop fans are weirder.

I don't know whether you mean "people who prefer turboprops" or "turbofans without a shroud" there. And I'm not sure I want to know which.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

I don't know whether you mean "people who prefer turboprops" or "turbofans without a shroud" there. And I'm not sure I want to know which.

Autocorrect doesn’t understand the majesty that would’ve been the MD-94x

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 22, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

That be it!

Also, since Big Headline mentioned Major Kong, here are two of his latest airplane articles:

Basics of telling airliners apart. He hates the CRJ, likes the RJ 45, clearly he is of this thread

Mirage! A thing on the Dassault series of fighter jets.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Nebakenezzer posted:

A340s - good looking?

I like the A340. I think it's cool because it's the last vestige of the era when it was normal to have 4 engine airplanes -- not super famous ones like the 747 or SUPER XXTREME A380's... just, it was normal and routine. Plane's big? Needs 4 engines.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

He hates the CRJ, [...] clearly he is of this thread

That doesn't narrow it down much, it basically means "does not work for Bombardier."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

He forgot a few. The F2 and the G4 and G8.

Another thing to note is that a beefed-up Mirage F1 was planned. It was meant to get fly-by-wire and the then-new M53 engine, offering it more power and capabilities. Alas, its potential customers opted for the F-16 instead. As a result, the improved F1 was killed before it was born. However, the efforts were not completely wasted since they gave birth to the Mirage 2000.

The old Mirage F1 are now very popular as aggressor aircraft. Between Textron and Draken International, 83 Mirage F1 have been procured from France and Spain to play Red Air.

Also I'm not sure where he got the number for "around 300 Mirage 2000 in French service". AFAIK the real number is around 60.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 22, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

Basics of telling airliners apart. He hates the CRJ, likes the RJ 45, clearly he is of this thread

:3:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

I saved that image when I saw it :3:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
e: whoops, there's a new page! never mind

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

That be it!

Also, since Big Headline mentioned Major Kong, here are two of his latest airplane articles:

Mirage! A thing on the Dassault series of fighter jets.

Surprised he didn’t mention the tailcone on the 777 - that+6 wheel bogeys make it easy to tell apart.

Those A350s have a goofy looking nose.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Regardless of certification and range etc, would something like that (but real) be flyable?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bennyfactor posted:

Regardless of certification and range etc, would something like that (but real) be flyable?

Seeing as the center of gravity would be somewhere around the tip of the "A" on the tail, I'm thinking "no."

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

bennyfactor posted:

Zero way you’d maintain yaw control with an engine out, or be able to keep the nose down at 100% thrust

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bennyfactor posted:

I don't know what your definition of "flyable" is, but I've seen radio-controlled airplanes with a similar design that manage to stay in the air. They're made of foam and have a power-to-weight ratio probably 5 times what even that little guy would have, but they're aerodynamically...not gonna say "sound," but maybe "valid."

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bennyfactor posted:

I tested it in Kerbal a high tech simulator. Result: Crashed about 5 minutes in to flight but no one died. :jeb: approves.

It needed a lot of trim to fly level and didn't really like to maneuver.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

maybe; put a little deployable airbrake on the top of the tailfin for pitch control and you've basically got a modern version of Charles de Rougé's elytroplan.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Some cool Convair 990 history. NASA used it for Space Shuttle approach and landing profile testing in a high drag configuration. But not for aerodynamics/control/etc. testing. That was taken care of by all the better-known lifting body designs they dropped from Balls 8. (M2 series, X-24, and HL-10).

This was to test not the aircraft, but the pilots. More specifically, how easily pilots of various backgrounds took to learning and flying the Shuttle landing profile, i.e., how easily they could train an operational cadre for the upcoming spaceplane. So they took everyone they could find, ranging from Joe Blow airline pilots, to test pilots with low L/D experience in the aforementioned X-planes, and everyone in between; and ran them through a couple of Shuttle approaches and landings. They found that people took to it successfully and landed accurately enough with little trouble.

That plane is a gate guard at Mojave now.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 23, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

vessbot posted:

That plane is a gate guard at Mojave now.

Yeah, I've got a trip scheduled to the Flight Test Museum in February - I'm going to see how feasible it'd be to hit Palmdale (both Airparks), Edwards, Mojave, and Planes of Fame in Chino in *one day*. Planning on driving the poo poo out of a one day rental. The day before I'm planning to hit up the CA Science Museum and see the two-seater A-12 trainer.

Mojave is definitely the one that would get cut if timing's a factor, though. As it stands I can make a nice 'loop' out of Palmdale > Edwards > Chino > LA to return the car before 5:30pm. I've got to be *at* Edwards @ 9am.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 23, 2017

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Check the hours on the Palmdale airpark, they're weird.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Seeing as the center of gravity would be somewhere around the tip of the "A" on the tail, I'm thinking "no."

It's like a turbine Questair Venture! :3:

(which is like my favorite plane ever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

Check the hours on the Palmdale airpark, they're weird.

Ah - thanks. I was planning on stopping there on the *way* to Edwards, but I see they *open* at 11am. Seems I'll have to do Edwards > Mojave (?) > Palmdale > Chino.

It's definitely worth seeing simply because there are no survivors on this coast (and I'm not going to Spain or Switzerland): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_990_Coronado#Surviving_aircraft