Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I gotta wonder how they're gonna handle the time skips. The show's focus is pretty tight in on the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

deoju posted:

Oh, I thought the time from contraction to death in untreated cases was much shorter, like 2 or 3 years. But I just checked and the World Health Org says it averages 11 years.

I didn't know that. Yeah we are for sure gonna see Aids take its toll. :(

I'm a Madison native, and learning stuff like this interests me. Thanks for sharing.

I went to Memorial and then UW. The Hotel opened in 1979 when Rod and his brother Greg bought it for about 200k. Before that, it was a nasty rear end residential hotel/halfway house on W. Washington almost to the Asian IGA. It burned down in 1996.

edit: also I saw some people go a lot faster than 11 years, but yeah that seems about right and seeing people getting so sick so fast and not knowing why.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 19, 2017

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs

Shima Honnou posted:

I gotta wonder how they're gonna handle the time skips. The show's focus is pretty tight in on the characters.

Well, Maggie Gyllenhaal looks like she's ready to time skip to the 80s, 90s, or the modern day.

I still can't believe Abby's actress is just 2 years younger than Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

3Romeo posted:

It's kind of like the part in the last episode where Frankie and Black Frankie are following the money:

That was Frankie and Big Mike. Black Frankie was with Vince and Robert working on the brothel.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Victorkm posted:

That was Frankie and Big Mike. Black Frankie was with Vince and Robert working on the brothel.

I didn't even put it together until just now how the writers were able to split up Vince/Frankie for most of the episode to limit how much time Franco had to be playing two different characters in the same scene. I'm going to imagine that is going to be a common occurrence. One of the twins having to run out on a mission of some sort.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Victorkm posted:

You're right. Turns out, I'm racist!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought that Harvey was going to fire Candy for inadvertently bringing CC into the picture, I was semi-relieved that he's actually trying to help her, even if it sounds like his way of helping is just to make her a slightly more exclusive prostitute with a madam instead of a pimp.

deoju posted:

The actress who plays the production assistant who refused to be a fluffer was in the Wire. In the Wire she played a heroin addict who turned to prostitution to feed her habit. She gives an incredible monolog about her inner addict and all the poo poo she's done.

I know she's playing two different characters but, when she scoffed like giving a hand job at work was beneath her it was kinda an :unsmith: moment for me.

Hey that's George Pelecanos' daughter! I didn't recognize her, it's cool she's not having to play somebody swirling down the drainhole like she did in the Wire... well not yet, anyway. :tinfoil:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Prediction: everybody on the show still alive will get AIDS.

Pretty much. This is a David Simon show though, so most of the characters will be lucky to get off that easy. It's still refreshing to watch a show that's built around long-term historical storytelling instead of traditional TV pacing.

I guess maybe the only thing in this show I don't buy is Margarita Levieva as a 20-year-old or that her character fits in as anything but a slight break from ultra-graphic prostitution scenes. Also there appears to be only around ten prostitutes in all of Manhattan.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I really wish this show would make it clear if Candy is tired of hooking or not. The ambiguity is killing me!!!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Right on, Leon :stare:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

El Jeffe posted:

I went "Jesus Christ" when that happened. Goddamn, Slim Charles doesn't gently caress around in any universe.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

I went "Jesus Christ" when that happened. Goddamn, Slim Charles doesn't gently caress around in any universe.

That's Slim Charles? drat.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

JethroMcB posted:

I really wish this show would make it clear if Candy is tired of hooking or not. The ambiguity is killing me!!!

I'm beginning to suspect that selling your body isn't the best career.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Slim Charles is such a fuckin badass

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

El Jeffe posted:

Straight up my favorite moment of the season.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Sandra sounded like she was ready to catch the Gambinos talking on a wire.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

El Jeffe posted:

I won't be able to watch for a few weeks, is is kosher to throw a spoiler bar on it as reveal?

oswald ownenstein posted:

Him telling Chris to respect the women in his restaurant owned so I assume this is along those lines.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
That was some ending.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
All the awful poo poo I thought was gonna happen didn't (since this is the penultimate episode, I had a bad feeling about everything)...and then that happened. Fuckin awesome.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That married man throwing up after having sex with Eileen was probably the most uncomfortable scene yet for me. Maggie's face during it all really sold it. And then caps it off with falling face-first in the bed to sleep, and then, "Get out."

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Straight women love the yaoi even in 1972 I see.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Oooooooooooh. Maybe that's why that scene made me think of "that was for Joe."(Wire spoiler)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's a quote from the wire. S3E01, Wee-Bey talking to Avon about Cutty...

quote:

Boss, you talkin' about a homey walked up an' shot Elijah Davis in broad daylight at Pennsie and Gold, then picked up the phone, dialed 9-1-1, told the police, "I just shot a friend of the family, come get him".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This show is ridiculously good.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

dont even fink about it posted:

I guess maybe the only thing in this show I don't buy is Margarita Levieva as a 20-year-old or that her character fits in as anything but a slight break from ultra-graphic prostitution scenes.

drat, I thought she was like maybe 24 or 25, not nearly 40. But yeah, her character is the one most out of place thus far.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Maggie Gyllenhall is totally going to get aids and it’s going to be very sad.

But Forrest will adopt her son.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

drat, I thought she was like maybe 24 or 25, not nearly 40. But yeah, her character is the one most out of place thus far.

:aaa: holy poo poo she's older than I am.

Yeah I would have guessed 25 tops. Guess I feel like less of a creep now.

The only scene so far that really had my eyes rolling was when she changed the radio station. The second she leaned over I thought "lemme guess the velvet underground is going to conveniently be playing on the next station because that would be too precious" and sure enough.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 23, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Frankie at the movies killed me. I had to pause it and just laugh for awhile - yeah, we all knew it was coming but drat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Frankie at the movies killed me. I had to pause it and just laugh for awhile - yeah, we all knew it was coming but drat.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Vanderdeath posted:

But yeah, her character is the one most out of place thus far.

I think I'm with you on this. She's a great actress and the character is good and complicated, but it's almost like she's a transplant from this year sent back into the 70's world of the show. Her sensibilities feel about three decades ahead of the curve (but maybe that's the entire point of the character - showing that she's ahead of her time but also giving the modern-day audience an attitude analog). She certainly isn't bad by any means, but I do agree that she's a little out of place.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
God, after every episode i just feel so dirty and skeeved out. Blech.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

3Romeo posted:

I think I'm with you on this. She's a great actress and the character is good and complicated, but it's almost like she's a transplant from this year sent back into the 70's world of the show. Her sensibilities feel about three decades ahead of the curve (but maybe that's the entire point of the character - showing that she's ahead of her time but also giving the modern-day audience an attitude analog). She certainly isn't bad by any means, but I do agree that she's a little out of place.

I don't understand why she is here or what narrative or plot purpose she is serving

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Wire callback.

"I just shot a nigga, come pick him up" and hangs up.

The exact same story was told about Cutty...I think actually by Slim Charles.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't understand why she is here or what narrative or plot purpose she is serving

So that when we jump forward to 1978 and she's a crack-addicted hooker we all get really bummed out

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuck this show was great from the beginning but these last two episodes have been truly phenomenal, god drat. omg Leon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Yeah I'm not sure where she fits into the puzzle either. I initially thought she would end up in the role that MG seems to be falling into.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
"Alright let me tell you guys something, I don't gently caress up nearly as much as people say I do."
"Well, on that inspirational note, I'll pretend to be encouraged."

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Ralph Macchio makes such a great slimy cop.

By the way, what was the deal with the new precinct CO (McDonagh?) on the car ride with Alston? I thought for sure that the tour was McDonagh taking Alston back behind the woodshed for talking to Sandra about the sex trade in Times Square, but then they had the rabbi/meat-eater conversation.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 23, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Why did Ashley balk at working in a brothel? It sounds a lot safer and nicer than working on the street.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

3Romeo posted:

By the way, what was the deal with the new precinct CO (McDonagh?) on the car ride with Alston? I thought for sure that the tour was McDonagh taking Alston back behind the woodshed for talking to Sandra about the sex trade in Times Square, but then they had the rabbi/meat-eater conversation.

More or less what he told Alston - he's part of the new guard that's looking to clean up the NYPD, and wants the real story on the precinct, how deep the corruption runs and who the dirtiest cops are.

Wikipedia posted:

The Knapp Commission Report on Police Corruption identified two particular classes of corrupt police officer, which it called "Grass Eaters" and "Meat Eaters". This classification refers to petty corruption under peer pressure ("eating grass") and aggressive premeditated major corruption ("eating meat").

The term "Grass Eaters" is used to describe police officers who "accept gratuities and solicit five, ten, twenty dollar payments from contractors, tow-truck operators, gamblers, and the like but do not pursue corruption payments". "Grass eating" is something that a significant number of officers are guilty of, but which they learned to do from other cops or from imitating the deviants they watch and investigate every day. The commission even concluded that "grass eating" was used by police officers in New York City to prove their loyalty to the brotherhood, and with that came incentives like side jobs. One method of preventing cops from becoming corrupt is to eliminate this step by removing veteran cops who do this; without any veteran cops to learn this from, new officers might decide to never "eat grass".

Dmitri-9 posted:

Why did Ashley balk at working in a brothel? It sounds a lot safer and nicer than working on the street.

Remember her "Sounds like freedom" remark after Frankie explained his vagabond lifestyle? I don't think she was happy with the prospect of being stuck in one of those little stalls for 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah. What did the guy try to do to the country girl that freaked her out? I couldn't understand a word of what anyone was saying in that scene.

• Locked thread