Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say third party Anti-Virus was the cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's late, and I wasn't really paying attention when this popped up:

All I could think was, "Who the gently caress is that? I don't know that guy or his kid, why are they messaging me in the middle of the night. Is that a petrol station behind them?"

Has Microsoft ever put out an update with people in the popup reminder before?

Well, this is the update that adds the "People" app... so there's some people.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Im_Special posted:

If I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say third party Anti-Virus was the cause.

I don't have one. I have CCleaner though, and the first freeze happened while I was running a clean.

On the other hand, it started happening quicker and quicker after boot, like I wrote so it may not be that.

Maybe I'll just do a reinstall of Windows and then try the update again. It has been a while since I did one.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

brylcreem posted:

I don't have one. I have CCleaner though, and the first freeze happened while I was running a clean.

On the other hand, it started happening quicker and quicker after boot, like I wrote so it may not be that.

Maybe I'll just do a reinstall of Windows and then try the update again. It has been a while since I did one.

My advice is don't use CCleaner. Also, make sure you don't have the recent CCleaner version that had the malware!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

brylcreem posted:

Well this makes it pretty obvious then... it's your hibernation file.

CCleaner is fine

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

People really still gonna defend CCleaner after the latest fiasco?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I'm just on whatever side your not.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
If you must use ccleaner, then at least use the portable version. The best option of course would be to stop using useless placebo software.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So are there any actual useful applications for the phone link feature?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

pofcorn posted:

If you must use ccleaner, then at least use the portable version. The best option of course would be to stop using useless placebo software.

Yes a fat person losing weight is also a placebo

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Yes a fat person losing weight is also a placebo

Yes, the CPU needs more cycles to do its job if extra data is just sitting there not being referenced.

That is your analogy. You are not good at analogies.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I worry about space on my small SSD and even when I looked at CCleaner years ago it was going to delete less than 100MB of stuff. Just uninstall programs and run the built in windows disk cleaner to make sure you aren't keeping around like 10GB of temp files from some sloppy app.

Compounding it with having security issues there seems very little reason to touch it.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
If anyone is trying out WSL and is having trouble reading text due to the colors (dark blue on black), Microsoft released a neat little color profile selector for the console window located here https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/08/11/introducing-the-windows-console-colortool/.

e. It also works with the PowerShell window! After you run the tool, open the Properties window and press OK to save the currently running profile.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 23, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

brylcreem posted:

I had to revert back from the Fall Creators Update because my computer kept freezing, with shorter and shorter intervals after each (re)boot.

This thread doesn't mention anything and I didn't find anything googling.

Do you guys have any ideas on what went wrong, and on how to prepare for the next try of installing the update?

Nothing in the log file stood out as being the cause.

Have you checked the event log?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Im_Special posted:

My favorite thing recently was finding a W10 1607 PC that had the whole McAfee Endpoint suite on it and, upon running the W10 Upgrade Assistant to at least get it on 1703, finding that the only way 1703 was gonna get on there was to completely scrub McAfee

Glad to see MS has Windows Updating figured out after having 30 years to work on it, and that McAfee is still horrific garbage

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 23, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Machine hard locked today, it's the first time it's ever done this.

Anyone seeing hard locks with the fall update?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We use McAfee encryption at work and it breaks constantly. If I had a pound for every file access error, unknown username or fatal error then I'd be able to retire.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
All the Chipzilla money in the world couldn't make McAfee good, company just needs to be closed down.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This video still always cracks me up.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh my god that's actually him

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Machine hard locked today, it's the first time it's ever done this.

Anyone seeing hard locks with the fall update?

Yes. Just above, glad I'm not alone :getin:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I used CCleaner when I kept getting an out of control log file in pre-1607 Win10. For some reason, the cleanup wizard would see it, but never clear it. That problem has not reappeared since 1607 and beyond, so I haven't loaded CCleaner back in.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is there a filesystem native to Windows 10 that handles large amounts of files (i.e.: millions) nicely? The middleware we're using at work generates an obscene amount of intermediate files and cleaning up the resulting folders can take hours in itself. ReFS is touted to support large amounts of data, but I can't come up with any conclusive information about large amounts of small files.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

brylcreem posted:

Yes. Just above, glad I'm not alone :getin:

Oh ouch.

Mine wasn't doing anything intensive... Nothing spiking CPU load. Just a YouTube window and Photoshop.

Did you roll yours back?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 23, 2017

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ccleaner does a lot of things fine, especially with that extra winapp2.ini. It's really useful for cleaning a bunch of things in one go instead of having to go into each program individually. And you can have it overwrite the data. Only free tool I know of that has the option to wipe things from the MFT too. Doesn't seem to break anything if you use it right (except that malware thing that just happened.)

But, a lot of the options can completely gently caress things up, especially search. There are a few things that if you "clean" suddenly searching for things in your start menu will never ever work again.

Basically my opinion is that CCleaner is a cool and useful tool but if you don't know exactly what you're telling it to clean but you click it anyway because it "sounds like something I'd wanna clean" you will break things and it will be your own fault for being dumb.

Someone said something a few pages back about icons vanishing after updating to the fall update. That kinda happened to me too, the icon for bash disappeared along with a few things in my start menu. I went looking for the bash icon and it wasn't in any of the places it should be. Like, the .ico file itself has vanished. Not a big deal I guess but what?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

BrainDance posted:

But, a lot of the options can completely gently caress things up, especially search. There are a few things that if you "clean" suddenly searching for things in your start menu will never ever work again.
Ahh that explains a few things. I kept on getting odd start menu indexing issues or phantom apps that would not budge. Guess that's the cause.

Also the blasted bug where if you have a second monitor and turn off transparency effects, the second taskbar will hover a pixel above is still there.

There's something horribly broken with the taskbar code since Windows 8 as it took a few updates for it to properly accept autohide on two monitors, now this.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Did you roll yours back?

Yeah. It was unusable. Running smooth now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

brylcreem posted:

Yeah. It was unusable. Running smooth now.

If mine does it again, I'll do the same. Thanks man.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm having an intensely hard time finding out just what Controlled Folder Access whitelists by default. Is there a list anywhere? It seems like an attractive enough feature, but I dread getting to my computer tomorrow and having to start manually whitelisting a bunch of Adobe applications—which for all I know might include plenty of stealth behind-the-scenes stuff apart from just indesign.exe or whatever—just so I can use the loving thing.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I would bet money that it only whitelists windows processes and windows apps from the app store, everything else is fair game and needs to be manually whitelisted.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
:siren:

If you updated to Fall Creators Update, you've got a 30GB Windows.old. Go to Disk Cleanup and "clean up system files".

Was wondering where all my SSD space went.

It's still being weird about deleting it though, so see if it actually deletes the folder.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

ufarn posted:

If you updated to Fall Creators Update, you've got a 30GB Windows.old. Go to Disk Cleanup and "clean up system files".

It's still being weird about deleting it though, so see if it actually deletes the folder.

Yeah it does that for every major update.

That's actually the only thing that pisses me off about these major updates. Guess I'll have to automate the cleanup process across the 800 PCs that I manage at work.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ufarn posted:

just maybe wait til you've made sure it's been running stable for a little while first though

(unless you have your own good backups)

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I got this :(

Should I even bother at this point?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

von Braun posted:

I got this :(

Should I even bother at this point?

It's probably worth figuring out why that's happening so you can eventually update when you want to (or before that edition ceases getting security updates). Most likely cause for that used to be misbehaving third-party AV. You can probably google whatever specific error message/ID shows up in the log for more info.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or just download the media creation tool and update yourself manually.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

astral posted:

It's probably worth figuring out why that's happening so you can eventually update when you want to (or before that edition ceases getting security updates). Most likely cause for that used to be misbehaving third-party AV. You can probably google whatever specific error message/ID shows up in the log for more info.

Where is the log? I don't have a third party AV.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

von Braun posted:

Where is the log? I don't have a third party AV.

if it doesn't show in the update history list, you can go to Event Viewer, search for Windows Update, and you ought to see an entry corresponding to the failure. Error code should be there. This document has a nice series of troubleshooting steps if the error you find matches one of those listed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

Alternatively, you can as mentioned just try to upgrade with the Update Assistant or Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and see if that works.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Is it still possible to upgrade a Windows 7 license by booting from an USB stick and clean installing, or do you have to through the assistive technologies update app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

astral posted:

if it doesn't show in the update history list, you can go to Event Viewer, search for Windows Update, and you ought to see an entry corresponding to the failure. Error code should be there. This document has a nice series of troubleshooting steps if the error you find matches one of those listed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

Alternatively, you can as mentioned just try to upgrade with the Update Assistant or Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and see if that works.

Thanks, I will try the updater thingy.