Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Winter is coming. All my doors are starting to squeal. What's the best type of grease to jam into the hinges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TheBananaKing posted:

Winter is coming. All my doors are starting to squeal. What's the best type of grease to jam into the hinges?

There are teflon lubes that spray on wet and wick into tight spots, then dry so they don’t collect dust.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

TheBananaKing posted:

Interior doors? WD-40 is inexpensive, simple, and you get the forbidden pleasure that is a whiff of that magic.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

Zahgaegun posted:

Interior doors? WD-40 is inexpensive, simple, and you get the forbidden pleasure that is a whiff of that magic.

Yes, interior. I love to inhale that magical smell but WD-40 likes to drip out and make a mess and it also doesn't seem to last more than a season before the squealing returns. The Teflon spray mentioned by eddiewalker sounds very appealing to me. Probably gonna try to find some of that.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

PremiumSupport posted:

Can't help with the no water problem, but I do know how your handheld thingie is supposed to work. Directly opposite to where the flex pipe joins your shower riser is a silver nob. It's supposed to move in and out to divert water flow from the shower to the handheld. If it hasn't been used in a while and your water has any hardness at all it can take a bit of effort or chemical (CLR or Lime Away) help to break the scale and get it moving again.

That's awesome, thanks! We tried turning that at some point but just unscrewed it so we kinda gave up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zahgaegun posted:

Oh god are you trying to trigger the "Well, WD-40 isn't lube" crowd?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Oh god are you trying to trigger the "Well, WD-40 isn't lube" crowd?

WD-40 isn't lube, you fuckers.

Go to Home Depot and it's a couple bucks for a can of their store brand Teflon spray: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Window-and-Door-Lube-HDX-WDL/204387980

I've been using it on my 1910's house, fixing door hinge squeaks, and I can even use the straw to spray it all up in the door knob / keyholes to give them a buttery smooth action. It leaves a harmless white residue that you gotta wipe away with a cloth when you're done but it doesn't stain.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 19, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My girlfriend got sick of waiting for me to lube our squeaky doors and used Pam cooking spray.

It worked perfectly until we sold the house a couple years later..

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Slugworth posted:

My girlfriend got sick of waiting for me to lube our squeaky doors and used Pam cooking spray.

It worked perfectly until we sold the house a couple years later..

Yeah vegetable oil all turns sticky with time, I wouldn't do that...

The quickest way to remove stuck-on-oil is with more oil... spray with PAM again, work it in, then spray in a degreaser, then use Teflon spray to do it right.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
How does the Teflon spray smell though? +1 WD40 booyah

Kidding of course, I've got no horse in this game.

Slugworth posted:

Was it flavored Pam? What about a hinge that very slowly grinds something that smells good so every time you opened the door you'd release a whiff of something nice? Someone set up a kickstarter let's bring this to market.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Zahgaegun posted:

How does the Teflon spray smell though? +1 WD40 booyah

Kidding of course, I've got no horse in this game.

Was it flavored Pam? What about a hinge that very slowly grinds something that smells good so every time you opened the door you'd release a whiff of something nice? Someone set up a kickstarter let's bring this to market.

Ooh, I vote cinnamon and vanilla.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We have this condensate pump attached to our downstairs AC unit. It is in our pantry, plugged into a GFCI outlet on its own breaker, nothing else is on the outlet.
Just recently the GFCI has started tripping for no apparent reason. First time was a couple of weeks ago, I was greeted with a pool of water in the pantry as a result. Second time was today, same deal. Resetting the outlet seems to restore functionality just fine. I've flushed the lines with some bleach already just to be certain.
Doing some light research on the problem, some people have implied that high humidity can sometimes trigger a trip. I live in southern Louisiana, so high humidity is the standard, but that doesn't explain why this is suddenly happening now instead of the previous 3 years we have lived here.

Any ideas or should I get an electrician involved? I could always swap the outlet to a regular plug, but I don't believe that's code in this case

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

couldcareless posted:

I could always swap the outlet to a regular plug, but I don't believe that's code in this case

How about replacing it with another GFCI plug and see if the problem returns?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Mister Kingdom posted:

How about replacing it with another GFCI plug and see if the problem returns?

I might give that a shot. I have spare new GFCI on hand already

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

couldcareless posted:

We have this condensate pump attached to our downstairs AC unit. It is in our pantry, plugged into a GFCI outlet on its own breaker, nothing else is on the outlet.
Just recently the GFCI has started tripping for no apparent reason. First time was a couple of weeks ago, I was greeted with a pool of water in the pantry as a result. Second time was today, same deal. Resetting the outlet seems to restore functionality just fine. I've flushed the lines with some bleach already just to be certain.
Doing some light research on the problem, some people have implied that high humidity can sometimes trigger a trip. I live in southern Louisiana, so high humidity is the standard, but that doesn't explain why this is suddenly happening now instead of the previous 3 years we have lived here.

Any ideas or should I get an electrician involved? I could always swap the outlet to a regular plug, but I don't believe that's code in this case

How old is the pump? Appliances with big electric motors can sometimes fool GFCIs with false positives. Appliance manufacturers started getting better at preventing that from happening around 2004.

Replace the GFCI first, then if it still happens, replace the pump.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

kid sinister posted:

How old is the pump? Appliances with big electric motors can sometimes fool GFCIs with false positives. Appliance manufacturers started getting better at preventing that from happening around 2004.

Replace the GFCI first, then if it still happens, replace the pump.

Was here when we got the house. If I had to guess, at least 6 years old. I will take this into consideration

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have an outlet on the back of my house that I'd like to run a set of string lights from to the corner of my garage, its pretty close. What I would like is some kind of setup where the things turn themselves on and off when it gets dark/light. Suggestions?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Replace the GFCI outlet and hook up the drat float switch! You should have a set of wires coming off the condensate pump. Find the common in your air handler. Disconnect it. Connect one side to one of the wires. Connect the other to where the common used to go.

Now when the pump fails it turns off your air handler so you know something is wrong and stop making condensate before your pantry floods.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The float switch is in place actually. I think the problem is the pump is mounted on the wall using the supplied metal brackets and the well is sagging away from the pump cover so water is leaking out of the reservoir before it triggers the float switch. Probably more of a reason to replace the pump to be honest.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So I want to caulk some cracks in my concrete foundation and concrete garage floor. Online says "urethane caulk."

Is this just regular silicone caulk? Like the same stuff you would use for the bathroom? Also is urethane caulk and polyurethane caulk any different?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

codo27 posted:

I have an outlet on the back of my house that I'd like to run a set of string lights from to the corner of my garage, its pretty close. What I would like is some kind of setup where the things turn themselves on and off when it gets dark/light. Suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Woods-2001WD...oor+light+timer

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm doing some demo to open up my dining room to my kitchen, and in an attempt to not end up in the Crappy Construction Tales thread (or the obituaries when my house inevitably collapses on me), I've come looking for advice.

This is what I have to work with. On the left, there is a 10x4 beam running across a 9 ft span to the wall. I would like to do the same thing on the right, which is about a 6.5 ft span:

(green is existing, red is what I would add)

The problem with this is the goddamn chimney is in the way:

I could fit a single 10x2 across, but I don't think that's exactly a great idea. I also don't think there are hangers I could use to run a second 10x2 to the chimney and use that for support, but that still sounds like a bad idea anyways.

I'd like to keep this as open as possible, so is there a way to do this and only keep the single post in the middle, or do I have to settle for two small windows on either side of the chimney?

Edit: If it's not clear, the plan is to clean and repoint the chimney and leave it exposed.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

lol internet. posted:

So I want to caulk some cracks in my concrete foundation and concrete garage floor. Online says "urethane caulk."

Is this just regular silicone caulk? Like the same stuff you would use for the bathroom? Also is urethane caulk and polyurethane caulk any different?

They're talking about polyurethane caulk. It's different than silicone caulk. The difference is mostly in how much it can stretch and how well it will bond. Just like painting, good caulk results is all about prep work. Wash out those cracks. You want the caulk to stick to the concrete, not to the dust and loose concrete on the sides of the crack.

There's other differences between caulk types too. The big one is how easy they are to clean up. One more is that some don't stick well to certain surfaces. Another one is that paint won't stick to some, like the majority of silicone caulks.

another thing about caulks! Caulk very much has a shelf life! Once you open a tube, the clock is ticking. Now it is a very long life (months), but it is still finite. You don't want to pull out a tube like 2 whole years after you used it last and put down a new line of it, only to discover that it won't cure and you have to clean it out of that crack all by hand.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 22, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Stupid double post

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Wow, triple post

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

codo27 posted:

We use this one, I liked that it had a way to easily keep things off the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H7VXXV2/

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

KillHour posted:

I'm doing some demo to open up my dining room to my kitchen, and in an attempt to not end up in the Crappy Construction Tales thread (or the obituaries when my house inevitably collapses on me), I've come looking for advice.

This is what I have to work with. On the left, there is a 10x4 beam running across a 9 ft span to the wall. I would like to do the same thing on the right, which is about a 6.5 ft span:

(green is existing, red is what I would add)

The problem with this is the goddamn chimney is in the way:

I could fit a single 10x2 across, but I don't think that's exactly a great idea. I also don't think there are hangers I could use to run a second 10x2 to the chimney and use that for support, but that still sounds like a bad idea anyways.

I'd like to keep this as open as possible, so is there a way to do this and only keep the single post in the middle, or do I have to settle for two small windows on either side of the chimney?

Edit: If it's not clear, the plan is to clean and repoint the chimney and leave it exposed.

Why do you think a 10x2 across 6.5 feet is a bad idea? Am I missing something?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's an internal load bearing wall (the floor above it is on it) and I'm not sure a single 2x10 is enough. If it is, awesome.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

codo27 posted:

That's going to run up your power bills while you're sleeping. I suggest one with a timer ability built in like some people already linked.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

codo27 posted:

There are landscape light transformers that will do this for you, if you are running 12v lights.

The one I have is on an outlet that I have on a timer inside, so I set it to turn on at like 3 PM and off at 11 PM. The transformer has a light sensor and several settings. Mine is set to "on" all the time when it's dark enough. This means my lights turn on when it gets dark (no messing with them as it gets dark earlier in the day) and always off at 11.

It and many others has another mode where light will turn on at dark and then off again in 2, 4 or 6 hours. At least I think that's what mine does. You might want to use something like that, since it won't require you to do any rewiring to put a timer on the outlet.

Although, I'm pretty sure I've seen weatherproof/outdoor plug-through timers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

It and many others has another mode where light will turn on at dark and then off again in 2, 4 or 6 hours. At least I think that's what mine does. You might want to use something like that, since it won't require you to do any rewiring to put a timer on the outlet.

Although, I'm pretty sure I've seen weatherproof/outdoor plug-through timers.

That's what the one I linked does. It's allegedly UL rated for outdoor use, light sensor turns it on at dusk then off N hours later or at dawn. It got rained on and the house didn't burn down nor did the gfci outlet trip.

It's 120vac with 3 outlets for plugging in Christmas lights.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

That's what the one I linked does. It's allegedly UL rated for outdoor use, light sensor turns it on at dusk then off N hours later or at dawn. It got rained on and the house didn't burn down nor did the gfci outlet trip.

It's 120vac with 3 outlets for plugging in Christmas lights.

Oh nice. Didn't see your post. That should do the trick.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Not sure if this is the best place to ask... But I've got a latex gorilla mask for Halloween and I was wondering if there was a good way to fill it out a little, like with expanding foam, so it doesn't crumple in and look so limp and sad.

I know, I should have just stuck with the horse mask...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask... But I've got a latex gorilla mask for Halloween and I was wondering if there was a good way to fill it out a little, like with expanding foam, so it doesn't crumple in and look so limp and sad.

Go to a craft store like joann and buy foam or something you can cut out and pack in. Bring the mask and they might be able to help you pick something.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kid sinister posted:

another thing about caulks! Caulk very much has a shelf life! Once you open a tube, the clock is ticking. Now it is a very long life (months), but it is still finite. You don't want to pull out a tube like 2 whole years after you used it last and put down a new line of it, only to discover that it won't cure and you have to clean it out of that crack all by hand.

Pro-tip. If you do this with a full tube of black silicone and cut the tube open to see what it looks like and your mother in law comes over at that exact moment to see you studiously examining a 13" length of floppy black rubber you'll have some great questions to answer.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you're not wearing it? Use a balloon.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I have some dumbbells that I want to hang on some drywall. My plan is to screw a strip of plywood (blue) to the studs and hang the dumbbells (red) by pegs/hooks (green) screwed into the plywood. There will probably be ~100lbs worth of dumbbells hanging off the plywood that should be fastened to 4-5 studs. I assume this won't be anywhere heavy enough to really worry that it would rip the board off the wall, right?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've heard positive things about Cialis

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

There's a cosplay thread that may be able to help with this kind of question https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045

Also, I have a latex chestpiece for a costume that I wanted to fill out and I used pillow foam from the craft store and contact cement. Worked great for the most part.

I did have some area that were wavy, and the foam didn't work so well in making it flat, so on those I glued foam paper on just to give a little extra stiffness. So it's still flexible but is now shaped right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Mr Executive posted:

I have some dumbbells that I want to hang on some drywall. My plan is to screw a strip of plywood (blue) to the studs and hang the dumbbells (red) by pegs/hooks (green) screwed into the plywood. There will probably be ~100lbs worth of dumbbells hanging off the plywood that should be fastened to 4-5 studs. I assume this won't be anywhere heavy enough to really worry that it would rip the board off the wall, right?

As long as you're using good quality wood screws (not cheap drywall screws) your design should work just fine for the amount of weight you intend to put on it. :)