Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I'm still mad TL got Smoothie and benched him after like one game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

If my grandkids one day ask me what S7 worlds were like, I'll probably show them the clip where C9 gets the perfect engage on an out-of-position Kog, who then proceeds to walk away with 100% health.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I dont know if it means anything but the rebroadcast viewership numbers are terrible

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Reality Winner posted:

I dont know if it means anything but the rebroadcast viewership numbers are terrible

If you're talking about the official full stream rebroadcast it means jack poo poo because anyone who wants to watch the games now is watching individual game vids that are spread across 10 channels that reupload them.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Reality Winner posted:

Well, you can eliminate the following from any rebroadcast watching:
- People who wanted to see the games live and are in timezones to accommodate
- People who REALLY wanted to see the games live and aren't, but stayed up anyway
- People who just care about the outcomes and just skim VODs
- People who wanted to see the games without waiting until mid-afternoon of the following day

And you're left with:
- People who want to put the stream on in the background, warts delays and all, just for the whole day

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Its a pretty meaningless number since you can also just watch the vod on twitch or YouTube at any time

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Smoothie looked incredible that series. If C9’s last draft had gone in their favor he’d be an easy series MVP.

Super excited for the rest of the tournament, just based on how unpredictable it’s been so far. Personally I have SSG over SKT in the finals, but legitimate any permutation could happen without being too huge of a surprise.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Anyone who can't watch live surely watches through the League Event Vods subreddit anyway, which is great, saves time and has no spoilers.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

The Mash posted:

Anyone who can't watch live surely watches through the League Event Vods subreddit anyway, which is great, saves time and has no spoilers.

I'm honestly surprised that Riot hasn't cracked down on the other channels that stream and rehost VoDs, especially now that they''ve signed some streaming deals with outside companies. I guess they must be factoring in third party streams for their sponsorships and figure the good will is worth the drop in pure streaming numbers when it comes to ad revenue.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Mash posted:

LoL Event Vods new website is just perfect. No spoilers at all.
Even best they don't even show the length of the video which is the one thing that always annoyed me.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Digital Jedi posted:

LoL Event Vods new website is just perfect. No spoilers at all.
Even best they don't even show the length of the video which is the one thing that always annoyed me.

What is their new website? or is it just the reddit

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

na coaches are the dumbest motherfuckers on earth

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I'm a bit sad that we didn't see the Best NA Finish At Worlds Ever but except for the last game that was still a pretty fun series

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Great series, but the east is still the best and the west is still the rest.

Maybe next yea- hahaha west will always suck :smith:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Libertine posted:

What is their new website? or is it just the reddit

eventvods.com

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dragongem posted:

Great series, but the east is still the best and the west is still the rest.

Maybe next yea- hahaha west will always suck :smith:

The fact that MSF gave everyone a run for their money is hopeful, I think. If this random group of dudes that went from Challenger to LCS to Worlds managed to give SKT a legitimately hard time, then there's nothing stopping other Western teams from finding that same success.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

We could've very easily had all 3 of those Western teams advance to the quarters, and one would've been guaranteed for the finals. All it would've taken is for MSF to not dive on that inhib turret, FNC to spend more than 5 minutes before the game on drafting strategies and for C9 to not mess up the game 5 draft so massively. Has there been any official word from C9 or FNC about their drafting? Really curious to know what their strategy was.

I mean yeah it's a lot of coulda shoulda woulda but you can't deny the Western teams did pretty well this year, especially considering the general consensus here was what? that only TSM would've made it out of groups lol.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'd really like to know how much input each specific team has versus their coach in terms of P/B. I know MSF's coach has complete control over the draft: he works with the analyst, figures out a good strategy, and then tells everyone, "Here's what you're gonna play." Reapered singularly deciding to hand over Kog/Janna/Galio on a silver platter just feels bizarre.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah the whole point of that draft was to give over janna to take galio and trist or something not take jarvan

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Crazy Larry posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Riot hasn't cracked down on the other channels that stream and rehost VoDs, especially now that they''ve signed some streaming deals with outside companies. I guess they must be factoring in third party streams for their sponsorships and figure the good will is worth the drop in pure streaming numbers when it comes to ad revenue.

Probably the latter, any restream or unofficial VOD channel is still going to be showing Riot's sponsors.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I haven't been watching all of the games, but one thing I observed has completely baffled me. Namely, that Lulu is (was?) considered equivalent or at least very close to in terms of ban/pick priority. In every game I saw with them both Janna absolutely dwarfed Lulu in terms of impact.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Technically C9 is improving
Groups week 1: 3-0
Groups week 2: 0-4
Quarters: Didn't qualify
Groups week 1: 2-1
Groups week 2: 1-2
Quarters: 0-3
Groups week 1: 2-1
Groups week 2: 1-2
Quarters: 2-3

Maybe next year they'll be 0-3'd in semis :v:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Aumanor posted:

I haven't been watching all of the games, but one thing I observed has completely baffled me. Namely, that Lulu is (was?) considered equivalent or at least very close to in terms of ban/pick priority. In every game I saw with them both Janna absolutely dwarfed Lulu in terms of impact.

Lulu's abilities, while not as crazy as Janna's whole fight reset when she gets two item heal-boosted Ult, have always been HUGE for making sure your carry survives, and the big burst of health + knockup on her ult typically is enough to dissuade a major dive. Ardent is also just as good on her as it is on Janna because of how reliably she can throw shields on/disengage/keep people distracted long enough for the carries to do damage. You're right in that she's not as impactful as Janna, but that's to be expected given how crazy busted Janna is on the worlds patch with Ardent Censer that still gives you lifesteal.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
hey remember that video of WWE Superstars supporting China's World's teams?

WWE just invested a bunch of money into C9 now lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Does this mean Jensen's gonna get a wrestling retirement in spring where he gives a big heartfelt speech and then shows up playing at The International a few months later?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I want to see Vince Mcmahon fire Reappeared or whomever was responsible for that draft.

Also apparently LZ might disband because the team has some financial issues... Pray and Gorilla confirmed cursed.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

RealFoxy posted:

I'm fully in support of Riot and League becoming more WWE.

Losing teams now are thrown through a table.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

RealFoxy posted:

"How the hell did he miss that smite with a level advantage Jatt?"

"I don't know Phreak, but oh my god is that, that's SaintVicious' music!"

"It was me Jensen! It was me all along!"

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I wouldn't be surprised to see xiaver woods on the analyst desk at some point honestly

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
As someone who just got caught up on all the Worlds matches today, that C9 vs WE series was a joy to watch up until Galio went the way of WE in the game 5 draft. Also gently caress the NA vs EU beef, Misfits were stellar. League of Legends, a fantastic esport.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

amazeballs posted:

As someone who just got caught up on all the Worlds matches today, that C9 vs WE series was a joy to watch up until Galio went the way of WE in the game 5 draft. Also gently caress the NA vs EU beef, Misfits were stellar. League of Legends, a fantastic esport.

I don’t know how anyone could watch Ignar kill Bang’s Vayne at level one and not be a Misfits fan

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
SKT played that lvl 1 so poorly, they were winning early trades pretty handily before bang went full retard

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's just something about the mere act of playing Vayne that causes normally sensible people to temporarily turn into Neanderthals.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Vermain posted:

There's just something about the mere act of playing Vayne that causes normally sensible people to temporarily turn into Neanderthals.

There were a few Vayne picks in worlds this year, and 100% of them I have no idea what fathomable reason they were selected other than pure arrogance.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The best Vayne play I've seen all year is still Roccat's support Wadid playing her during the last week of EULCS Summer.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Libertine posted:

There were a few Vayne picks in worlds this year, and 100% of them I have no idea what fathomable reason they were selected other than pure arrogance.

if you cant play vayne versus the turkish play in team when can you

edit: im enjoying this new sentiment being pushed by thorin and LS that you cant criticize pick ban.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 24, 2017

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
They are right (as much as it pains me to align myself with the most obnoxious duo in esports) in that 99% of pick/ban criticism is completely asinine. The vast, vast majority of it is purely reactionary and can basically be summed up as "the other team won with that, so clearly you should have banned it." If you're lucky they might throw in some bargain basement insight like "xyz champ has a high winrate!" It's a bunch of masturbatory armchair coaching, although that could of course summarize the majority of esports discussion.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 24, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

99% of all league commentary is asinine including Thorins content, suggesting we shouldnt comment on things because of appeal to authority is very dumb

edit: i mean that line of thought extends towards not making commentary on the games because you dont know what the players were supposed to be doing or what went wrong

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

nobody should do anything because dumb people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I agree, 99% of esports commentary shouldn't exist. I personally vastly prefer Kevin-esque shitposting and memes to the dreck that this thread and others come up with as "insightful commentary". (Amusingly Kevin is one of the few posters here that can actually make a cogent point when he's being serious). I'd complain about it too if I was a talking head. I probably agree with you in the abstract but I sympathise with them immensely on this point.