Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
Ryan ruins the photo by being too darn tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

:dance: Bradley Walsh confirmed!

This is good, the most companions since 5. Now if we can just make them a proper TARDIS crew that travels instead of just getting picked up on the weekends...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's pretty cool news - it will be fun to have a bigger TARDIS crew again.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

This would be the most diversity of age/gender/race in a TARDIS crew ever, too, so that's cool

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bradley Walsh IS actually going to be in the show? That's really loving cool :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
10 fifty minute episodes (premiere is sixty), iiiiiinteresting

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Don't they mostly run to 50 minutes anyway as it is? :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Don't they mostly run to 50 minutes anyway as it is? :shrug:

They're generally speaking about 45 minutes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm guessing these will be "50 and a bit over sometimes" rather than "45 and a bit over" like we've been getting. I'm on board with this, hopefully it'll let some concepts breathe a little more.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's Bradley Walsh's last visit to the Doctor Who universe.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011

Odd Bob what a terror.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's just something so genuinely fun about RTD's utter campiness :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Three companions (plus someone in a recurring role), it could be one or two of them are even from a different era! And yeah, definitely a diverse TARDIS, for once. It looks like Tosin Cole had a bit part in The Force Awakens and was in a pretty big deal Sundance entry effort from Netflix.

Everything new that I hear about Chibnall's tenure gets more interested and excited (besides 10 episodes, even if they are a bit longer; it won't be long before Doctor Who has 3 episodes airing 6 years apart, at this rate).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

it won't be long before Doctor Who has 3 episodes airing 6 years apart, at this rate

Nah Moffat's done on the show after Christmas :haw:

For any issues I had with Chibnal's writing on the show up to this point, the dude sure can cast the hell out of a show.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm willing to bet that the reason they did this is because they had no loving clue what dynamic a female Doctor would have with the now-usual usual one companion, and so went 'gently caress it, new strategy!' This is a great way to still have long-term sexual tension that I'm sure they think they need without asking really difficult questions.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I'm willing to bet that the reason they did this is because they had no loving clue what dynamic a female Doctor would have with the now-usual usual one companion, and so went 'gently caress it, new strategy!' This is a great way to still have long-term sexual tension that I'm sure they think they need without asking really difficult questions.

I'm cynical, but I'm not that cynical. Chibnall is just used to working on shows that have some solid leads as the central protagonists and then a huge, supporting cast to round things out. It opens up the opportunities for things like B-plots or having character arcs come together at the end in a satisfying way. It's going to be hard to pull off in new Who, let alone in 10 episodes, but I'm happy he's trying it.

It really lives or dies on whether Chibnall kind find the voice for Doctor Who. He hasn't had the greatest track record, even before you consider Torchwood, and his good, successful writing focuses on how people hide the darker parts of themselves and how horrible it feels for everyone, even when it is necessary, that those darker parts are exposed. Doctor Who isn't the greatest avenue for Pyrrhic victories (yes, yes, there are exceptions). When you apply that sort of formula to open-ended "monster of the week" science fiction, you either get Black Mirror or Joseph Lidster, and that's a hell of a gamble.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Three companions for Thirteen:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/922214897013985281

Including Bradley Walsh, as talked about earlier

A fiver says this is yet another take on "loose-knit gang of friends whose existing ties keep drawing the TARDIS back to modern London". For a show that's supposedly about adventures in time and space, it's very interesting how ever since 2005 successive production teams consistently shy away from having adventures in time and space.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Alien planet sets are expensive and there's only so much fooling people you can really do with a quarry

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they should do what stargate did and just constantly go to alien worlds exactly like the area near their studio

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh yeah and I bought Storm Warning and it was good. paul mcgann is cool and it's a shame he got shafted

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
This lineup is probably the most exciting in recent memory. This is gonna be such a different show that I'm really looking forward to it. It even starts the healing of the loss of Capaldi.

Now please, PLEASE let the scripts be worthy of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bicyclops posted:

I'm cynical, but I'm not that cynical. Chibnall is just used to working on shows that have some solid leads as the central protagonists and then a huge, supporting cast to round things out. It opens up the opportunities for things like B-plots or having character arcs come together at the end in a satisfying way. It's going to be hard to pull off in new Who, let alone in 10 episodes, but I'm happy he's trying it.

It really lives or dies on whether Chibnall kind find the voice for Doctor Who. He hasn't had the greatest track record, even before you consider Torchwood, and his good, successful writing focuses on how people hide the darker parts of themselves and how horrible it feels for everyone, even when it is necessary, that those darker parts are exposed. Doctor Who isn't the greatest avenue for Pyrrhic victories (yes, yes, there are exceptions). When you apply that sort of formula to open-ended "monster of the week" science fiction, you either get Black Mirror or Joseph Lidster, and that's a hell of a gamble.

Honestly, I'm not even that cynical about this, this is probably gonna work out great.I'm just betting this came from a very long meeting where a bunch of different ideas were thrown out and then summarily thrown out when somebody asked a question that nobody had a comfortable answer to. Less 'ugh, I bet they didn't actually want to do this' and more 'I bet the meeting this came out of took HOURS'.

Then again, like you said, he did Torchwood which was very much a team.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

So, is Bradley Walsh good in Law & Order? I've never seen it, and I've only ever been exposed to his cheeky chappie, 'slightly annoying guy in the group of mates you see down the pub every once in a while' game show host persona. That, and maybe a couple of episodes of Corrie my mum had on when I was visiting my folks.

I was pretty miffed when he was rumoured a while ago, but you guys seem very keen on the idea, so I guess I should give him a fair shake.

Still, excited for a nice big TARDIS family, and anything else that'll shake up the Moffat/RTD fatigue.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Matinee posted:

So, is Bradley Walsh good in Law & Order? I've never seen it, and I've only ever been exposed to his cheeky chappie, 'slightly annoying guy in the group of mates you see down the pub every once in a while' game show host persona. That, and maybe a couple of episodes of Corrie my mum had on when I was visiting my folks.

Here he is in a little-remembered show based on Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels overseeing a gangland execution.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The only thing I can remember seeing Walsh in was L&OUK, and A: I thought he was good in it as the level-headed father-figure-cop-who's-seen-it-all-before-but-still-cares-about-the-victims, and B: I thought he was much older than he actually is. Which is probably an offshoot of his acting abilities in A.

I'd be happy to have basically his L&O persona dropped into Who and reacting accordingly to every crazy thing he sees, personally.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Trin Tragula posted:

A fiver says this is yet another take on "loose-knit gang of friends whose existing ties keep drawing the TARDIS back to modern London". For a show that's supposedly about adventures in time and space, it's very interesting how ever since 2005 successive production teams consistently shy away from having adventures in time and space.

I wouldn't mind more Earth period pieces as long as they aren't Victorian England.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe someday we'll get another televised pure historical episode

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Matinee posted:

So, is Bradley Walsh good in Law & Order?

He plays the UK version's analogue to Lennie Briscoe, and he's loving amazing in it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Slowpoke! posted:

I wouldn't mind more Earth period pieces as long as they aren't Victorian England.

I want to see Earth period pieces that are set in really narrow and interesting historical events. Not even ones that are necessarily that important, just stuff set in some fun little freak event.

We've brought up when the trailer for the Christmas special came out that the Christmas Truce would be an amazing setting for a Who episode, stuff like that. The War of the Worlds radio play panic would be a fun one, too, and unfortunately it's way too late at night for me to think of any more.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

I want to see Earth period pieces that are set in really narrow and interesting historical events. Not even ones that are necessarily that important, just stuff set in some fun little freak event.

We've brought up when the trailer for the Christmas special came out that the Christmas Truce would be an amazing setting for a Who episode, stuff like that. The War of the Worlds radio play panic would be a fun one, too, and unfortunately it's way too late at night for me to think of any more.

Big finish did an episode during the War of the Worlds thing. It's quite fun from what I remember.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Fil5000 posted:

Big finish did an episode during the War of the Worlds thing. It's quite fun from what I remember.

With Big Finish's trademark horrible American accents, to boot.

*I actually do enjoy it though to say it's over the top is an understatement

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s telling that Simon Pegg is apparently in Invaders from Mars, but I honestly couldn’t tell you who he is.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

It’s telling that Simon Pegg is apparently in Invaders from Mars, but I honestly couldn’t tell you who he is.

He was the gangster boss.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Matinee posted:

I was pretty miffed when he was rumoured a while ago, but you guys seem very keen on the idea, so I guess I should give him a fair shake.

Still, excited for a nice big TARDIS family, and anything else that'll shake up the Moffat/RTD fatigue.

He's really good in it, yeah. I'd never seen him in anything else before so it was weird to see him being all wacky on a game show afterwards

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I loved that they did the Frost Fair this year, neat little things like that are really fun to check out.

It's a shame the BBC budget probably wouldn't ever stretch to doing The Great Exhibition, which they've referenced before on the show and done at least one Big Finish story in.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

The_Doctor posted:

Both Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes are in it, which is neat, and both their characters have outrageously corny accents, which is also neat

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I loved that they did the Frost Fair this year, neat little things like that are really fun to check out.

It's a shame the BBC budget probably wouldn't ever stretch to doing The Great Exhibition, which they've referenced before on the show and done at least one Big Finish story in.

They should though, because as an American even I can tell from cultural osmosis and the Big Finish episode that it was a big event in British history. Would be a good thing to feature.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

New goal: assemble a focus group of 50 people who like The Sunmakers and 50 people who don't like it, and in each group, half of them are right-wing and half of them are left-wing. Ask them all what they think the message of the serial is and ask them to argue it out, then unleash them as a maddened group of berserkers under my command! You won't stop me this time, Doctor! Ahahahaha! AAAH-HA-HA-HAAH! I'll destroy it ALL!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
To be fair, the accents in Invaders From Mars are meant to be corny. It's a fundamental part of an entire cliffhanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Sun Makers is pretty solidly in the lefty column. Yeah, it's Holmes kvetching about taxes, but he pretty consciously decided to write a story about a corrupt private company rather than about a corrupt government.

I love the Sun Makers. It might be my favorite Holmes script. It's not technically his best, but it's just so furious. That opening scene in horrifying, despite the set design being several levels below a high school production of Romeo and Juliet.

• Locked thread