Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pokeyman posted:

Someone has to buy at the peak, it might as well be you!

Someone's gotta catch that falling knife and bleed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

Don't do it. Or at least wait until after jan once the stress test has hit and valuations dip more. Or if they own their suite, wait until they get evicted after realizing they are underwater when it comes time to renew.

Cancel your cable, comrade. You have nothing to lose but your chains crappy overpriced service that costs more ever few months, most of which you probably wouldn't watch if it wasn't bundled with the five channels you actually like.

For one month of cable you can get yourself a yearly VPN sub which is free reign to pirate everything.

Media companies still aren't dying fast enough. Do your part.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

For one month of cable you can get yourself a yearly VPN sub which is free reign to pirate everything.

That NHL deal Rogers jumped into keeps getting worse every year and it makes me laugh.

The house down the road from me still hasnt sold and its been 2 months. Its giving me false hope.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
We can stream stuff from SportsNet thanks to someone who has a sub making us an email address we can log in with.

Half the time pirate streams are higher quality and more reliable.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

That NHL deal Rogers jumped into keeps getting worse every year and it makes me laugh.

The house down the road from me still hasnt sold and its been 2 months. Its giving me false hope.

Same with the one down the street from my mom, but they listed at $800k (it's at $760 now) and I'd have probably just given up all hope forever if it sold at that amount, since it means that's more or less what my mom's rancher in Mission would have been worth.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

Someone's gotta catch that falling knife and bleed out.

That's what's this thread has been saying for six years while everyone else gets rich lol

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

large hands posted:

That's what's this thread has been saying for six years while everyone else gets rich lol

"everyone else" being a very tiny group of people

Saw three super cars driving around doing errands today. Yawn.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

More than half of Canadian households own their home. Which tiny group do you have in mind?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

More than half of Canadian households own their home. Which tiny group do you have in mind?

The rich ones, or does half the country have 4 million dollars in their bank accounts now?

e: or has "own a home" now fallen into lavishly rich territory now?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
why do people still watch NHL do you think the maple leaves will some day burn down the white house again

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

ocrumsprug posted:

The rich ones, or does half the country have 4 million dollars in their bank accounts now?

e: or has "own a home" now fallen into lavishly rich territory now?

even if prices drop a little bit, they're just going to keep going up in the long term like they always have. if you haven't bought in already you may as well accept that you probably never will and bend over for your landlord.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

large hands posted:

even if prices drop a little bit, they're just going to keep going up in the long term like they always have. if you haven't bought in already you may as well accept that you probably never will and bend over for your landlord.

The part I don't get about this argument is kids and young adults. No one will buy housing ever again?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
http://uk.businessinsider.com/moscow-company-sells-instagram-photoshoots-on-grounded-private-jets-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

If any of you losers wanted to start a business in Vancouver this would basically be a license to print money.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wasting posted:

The part I don't get about this argument is kids and young adults. No one will buy housing ever again?

I think the idea is that only kids and young adults today will ever be able to buy their house if their parents are rich enough to big time help, and those parents will only be able to help if they're already growing fat housing equity. The house rich get house richer and the poor get jacked rents. Capitalism will ensure that over generations the wealth and owership associated with housing will fall into fewer and fewer hands without regulations or a crisis shaking things up. And we know the government is too fearful to implement meaningful regulations, and a crisis is impossible because they aren't making more land and this time it's different.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

EvilJoven posted:

I don't see why people think they need a VPN to do this. Only thing that's going to happen without one is your ISP might send you a weakly worded email.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wasting posted:

If you have two kids, you borrow against the home equity to pay for kid 1's down payment. Kid 2 inherits your over-leveraged house.

Just hope you die before the music stops.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

I don't see why people think they need a VPN to do this. Only thing that's going to happen without one is your ISP might send you a weakly worded email.

Yeah there has still never been anyone in Canada nailed for this poo poo unless they were doing something crazy like running their own site.

Oh no you get a shittigram about please don't torrent GOT S04E18, the horror.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

large hands posted:

The weird thing about being house rich is that you have to live somewhere, and if everywhere goes up just as much as your house, you don't really come out ahead. So unless those people sell their house and decide to rent (doubtful) or move somewhere cheaper they don't come out ahead. It works real well if you're in an up and coming city and you can keep moving out to the sketchy parts of town and wait for gentrification, but it doesn't really work if it's a national trend.

I'm in the US, I've been following this thread for years, and it's completely fascinating. It's like I'm watching a remake of an old movie and I already know the plot but there's different actors this time. Also most of the people in the theatre don't seem to have seen the original and they really think the protagonist is going to make it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

paternity suitor posted:

The weird thing about being house rich is that you have to live somewhere, and if everywhere goes up just as much as your house, you don't really come out ahead. So unless those people sell their house and decide to rent (doubtful) or move somewhere cheaper they don't come out ahead. It works real well if you're in an up and coming city and you can keep moving out to the sketchy parts of town and wait for gentrification, but it doesn't really work if it's a national trend.

but you can unlock that wealth with a home equity line of credit! ask your bank advisor about it today!

paternity suitor posted:

I'm in the US, I've been following this thread for years, and it's completely fascinating. It's like I'm watching a remake of an old movie and I already know the plot but there's different actors this time. Also most of the people in the theatre don't seem to have seen the original and they really think the protagonist is going to make it.

THIS TIME IT'S DIFFERENT U DUMB AMERICAN SHUT UP OR WE WILL BURN UR WHITE HOUSE DOWN

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

of course he's an instagram hiker

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Butcher posted:

Yeah there has still never been anyone in Canada nailed for this poo poo unless they were doing something crazy like running their own site.

Actually there was one person but they literally responded to the extortion letter with an admission of guilt and had to pay the $400 or whatever because of that.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HookShot posted:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/moscow-company-sells-instagram-photoshoots-on-grounded-private-jets-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

If any of you losers wanted to start a business in Vancouver this would basically be a license to print money.

Vancouver version is #wanderlust. I was up in Cape Scott in August and ran into a couple who'd set their campsite up in a sea cave. Stopped to tell them they'd drown, apparently they were just there for the instagram shots with all their gear and driving back to a Port Hardy motel.

Have also run into dozens of asians on popular hiking trails who stand there changing into different outfits while their friends take photos.

Basically kill everyone hiking the frontcountry, IMO.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Vancouver version is #wanderlust. I was up in Cape Scott in August and ran into a couple who'd set their campsite up in a sea cave. Stopped to tell them they'd drown, apparently they were just there for the instagram shots with all their gear and driving back to a Port Hardy motel.

Have also run into dozens of asians on popular hiking trails who stand there changing into different outfits while their friends take photos.

loving lol

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao if you aren't making 5k/month hocking FitTea on your instagram

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

lmao if you aren't making 5k/month hocking FitTea on your instagram

Oh my god what the gently caress is that bullshit. Jesus Christ.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

The Butcher posted:

Well in my case the emails go to MY WIFE, and she doesn't need to know my pr0n consumption.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

paternity suitor posted:

yeah I'm just playing devil's advocate with my posts on this page but it's so bad here in Victoria that i can't see prices dropping to an "affordable" level without the kind of economic downturn that fucks everyone anyway. if they drop %30 they're still out of reach for most working people.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/416_anthrobear/status/922444556297232384

Get hosed Canadians :laugh:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

large hands posted:

yeah I'm just playing devil's advocate with my posts on this page but it's so bad here in Victoria that i can't see prices dropping to an "affordable" level without the kind of economic downturn that fucks everyone anyway. if they drop %30 they're still out of reach for most working people.

Just wait until Langford wins the Amazon bid. :allears:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

the replies seem to suggest Americans are equally hosed as far as living cheque to cheque. i know which country id rather have to fall back on the social safety net in.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Arivia posted:

Oh my god what the gently caress is that bullshit. Jesus Christ.

Living dat #influencer life bro

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

McGavin posted:

Just wait until Langford wins the Amazon bid. :allears:

Langford is very mad that some CBC article with a run-down on all canadian cities seriously competing only mentioned langford almost as a joke at the very end.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Rime posted:

Eventually an unexpected weather change will do just that. The ten essentials are really just Instagram and battery life.

Excuse me while I go yell at a cloud.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Langford is very mad that some CBC article with a run-down on all canadian cities seriously competing only mentioned langford almost as a joke at the very end.

Almost as a joke at the very end is seriously the most appropriate place to mention Langford.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

McGavin posted:

Almost as a joke at the very end is seriously the most appropriate place to mention Langford.

Actually it's best to just never mention it at all. I have to drive out there today so I'm extra mad that the-unnamed-suburb exists.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Langford is a world leader in wood-framed low-rise construction with innovative methods such as plywood and dimensional SPF framing. Recently Langford began deploying the cutting edge and experimental plastic house wrap technology, which along with screws, will revolutionize residential construction in Canada.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

HookShot posted:

If everyone thinks you're rich, and you think you're rich, isn't that the same as actually being rich? :thunk:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://omny.fm/shows/the-jon-mccomb-show/what-is-the-ndps-housing-plan

Man I have no idea who the gently caress Jon McComb is but he totally hosed Selena Robinson's poo poo up

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

namaste faggots posted:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jon-mccomb-show/what-is-the-ndps-housing-plan

Man I have no idea who the gently caress Jon McComb is but he totally hosed Selena Robinson's poo poo up

I can't listen at work, but what's the general run down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Jon: what are you doing

Selina: lol wait until February plz