Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tolkien minority posted:

To be fair every single good album is now called aoty when it drops to the point where the phrase has no meaning

so little meaning that several people will let them know how little meaning it has and how much they're not really enjoying themselves, relatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Because something inherently can’t be immediately classic. The word classic implies standing up to a test of time. Having lasting significance or worth. Being able to endure initial hype or impressions. This thread is terrible when it comes to applying AOTY or classic status. People conflate “I really like this new poo poo! I’m excited about it!” With “this is, by far, AOTY!” It’s hilarious to read comments that come on the tail of a release and then towards the end of the year when they don’t even appear on lists or years later when they get trashed, like with Pablo (or even worse, MBDTF which is actually classic, entire Rock skit included). People in here have poo poo on both of those albums but if you were to read posts right when they came out you’d think they were the second coming of Christ.

We live in an age of extremes. Something is either the best or it sucks. There’s no gradient. No just pretty good/solid (like the most recent Tribe album, which was really solid but won’t be on any lists 10 or even 5 years from now, come at me).

I know a lot of y’all have me on mute so I’ll just wait until Alansmithe says the same thing and get’s empty quoted for a page.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GoldfishStew posted:

Because something inherently can’t be immediately classic.
Wrong. drat absolutely is. It came out several months ago and I still listen to the whole thing regularly. There are lots of albums that I listen to once or twice and then never again. drat's the opposite. I still can't get enough of it. It has staying power.

Even if it's just a classic to me personally, it's still that.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

You can really, really like an album, that’s fine. But you can’t change the definition of words to fit you feelings. You’re just being the exact type of dude I’m talking about.

Though I agree I think drat is a potential classic. someone was walking around playing it tonight in Burbank and I was eating food and smiling.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know I trashed Pablo the first time I heard it, but I kept listening to it and I'm glad I did because now it's easily one of my favorite albums of the last several years. Well, the 1.0 version at least. I have it on my phone because I'm not listening to that lovely polished version on Spotify. But I'm still listening to that regularly and that came out like a year and a half ago.

I'd call that a classic, at least in my mind if it isn't to others.

I think calling something "classic" has a lot to do with personal attachment and how much of an impact it makes on you/how long it stays with you.

MBDTF absolutely is because I still listen to that regularly and that came out 7 years ago. It's one of those albums that never loses its luster no matter how many times I hear it. Well-made albums don't get bad with age.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Agree with everything even the 1.0 poo poo. I love that loving album. I don’t like the changes he made. MBDTF to me is a classic. Pablo I am still waiting on to make sure. I think ULB is one of the best songs I’ve ever heard. But there are some tracks on there I’m not sure will age well with me.

drat I think will be classic. When it dropped, I would have said same about Tyler’s but, see, I don’t want to jump the gun. I could very well see myself downgrading that to very good in the next couple years. Time proves classics. It’s inherent in the word.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Marching Powder posted:

i think it's funny that publications are scared to call something classic in case they look silly in retrospect. i think it's loving hilarious that someone on a message board can't say 'amazing! aoty!' without the usual dickheads pissing on their parade. the hesitation to call something good immediately has permeated all discussions within the community and it's sad / funny.

That's not really the case though. That video's less "publications are scared to call things classic" and more "this album I really like got less arbitrary number reviews than I think so and i'm gonna whine about it". 9.5 is EXTREMELY high for pitchfork (and they weren't hesitant in giving MBDTF a 10 before GKMC was released). And Fantano gave TPaB a 10. Also The Source got poo poo for giving both Aquemini and Life After Death 5 stars (I think Illmatic as well, but I don't recall that firsthand).

Also here dudes gush about albums all the time. Not sure if you remember but for awhile it was even a joke that every new album that came out would have people saying AOTY! or whatever. Also if dudes can be allowed to talk about how much they enjoy stuff, why can't people also be allowed to say how much they didn't enjoy something? Like I don't just like hearing people echo poo poo about stuff I like, I think it can be valuable to hear about poo poo that people don't like that I may enjoy. Like it's far more common in my experience that people on the internet think everyone has to like the same poo poo they do or it's a personal attack than dudes getting poo poo on for liking things.

And as for being a classic, I don't see anything wrong with that being a designation based at least in part on time. Seeing if things hold up past your initial opinion, what kind of impact, etc have is all important. Not every great album has to be a classic. It doesn't make those albums any less good-there's albums I'd even say are "better" than some that I think are classics but aren't classics themselves.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

As far as the new Tribe album goes, it has several really great tracks on it, but it's too long and some of the tracks are outright bad or at least nowhere near as entertaining to listen to as others on there. I still listen to a handful of songs on it, but listening to the whole thing is kind of a chore. It suffers from being a double album. I think had it been edited down a bit, it would definitely be a classic, but the album that came out was not.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Jesus Christ he really does ape the gently caress out of me it’s insane. I’m seriously on y’all’s mute because you believed some joke post that I hosed dolls? So loving whack.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

As far as the new Tribe album goes, it has several really great tracks on it, but it's too long and some of the tracks are outright bad or at least nowhere near as entertaining to listen to as others on there. I still listen to a handful of songs on it, but listening to the whole thing is kind of a chore. It suffers from being a double album. I think had it been edited down a bit, it would definitely be a classic, but the album that came out was not.

100%. Now, go read the posts that followed its release. That’s why you gotta give poo poo time to settle and see if it endures.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

GoldfishStew posted:

I know a lot of y’all have me on mute so I’ll just wait until Alansmithe says the same thing and get’s empty quoted for a page.

GoldfishStew posted:

Because something inherently can’t be immediately classic. The word classic implies standing up to a test of time. Having lasting significance or worth. Being able to endure initial hype or impressions. This thread is terrible when it comes to applying AOTY or classic status. People conflate “I really like this new poo poo! I’m excited about it!” With “this is, by far, AOTY!” It’s hilarious to read comments that come on the tail of a release and then towards the end of the year when they don’t even appear on lists or years later when they get trashed, like with Pablo (or even worse, MBDTF which is actually classic, entire Rock skit included). People in here have poo poo on both of those albums but if you were to read posts right when they came out you’d think they were the second coming of Christ.

We live in an age of extremes. Something is either the best or it sucks. There’s no gradient. No just pretty good/solid (like the most recent Tribe album, which was really solid but won’t be on any lists 10 or even 5 years from now, come at me).

alansmithee posted:

That's not really the case though. That video's less "publications are scared to call things classic" and more "this album I really like got less arbitrary number reviews than I think so and i'm gonna whine about it". 9.5 is EXTREMELY high for pitchfork (and they weren't hesitant in giving MBDTF a 10 before GKMC was released). And Fantano gave TPaB a 10. Also The Source got poo poo for giving both Aquemini and Life After Death 5 stars (I think Illmatic as well, but I don't recall that firsthand).

Also here dudes gush about albums all the time. Not sure if you remember but for awhile it was even a joke that every new album that came out would have people saying AOTY! or whatever. Also if dudes can be allowed to talk about how much they enjoy stuff, why can't people also be allowed to say how much they didn't enjoy something? Like I don't just like hearing people echo poo poo about stuff I like, I think it can be valuable to hear about poo poo that people don't like that I may enjoy. Like it's far more common in my experience that people on the internet think everyone has to like the same poo poo they do or it's a personal attack than dudes getting poo poo on for liking things.

And as for being a classic, I don't see anything wrong with that being a designation based at least in part on time. Seeing if things hold up past your initial opinion, what kind of impact, etc have is all important. Not every great album has to be a classic. It doesn't make those albums any less good-there's albums I'd even say are "better" than some that I think are classics but aren't classics themselves.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Lil B got stomped out and SGP put a curse on a bunch of people over Twitter and you all are effort posting about old albums. Smh

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Lol yeah we are discussing classic albums and you dropping names of never-wills.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

alansmithee posted:

That's not really the case though. That video's less "publications are scared to call things classic" and more "this album I really like got less arbitrary number reviews than I think so and i'm gonna whine about it".

That wasn't the point, the point was good kid maad city is pretty much a classic here and now and no one, not even kendrick, was prepared to come out and say it at the time. that's loving weird, and points to something that is pervasive in all rap communities like

alansmithee posted:

Also here dudes gush about albums all the time. Not sure if you remember but for awhile it was even a joke that every new album that came out would have people saying AOTY! or whatever.

yeah, this.

alansmithee posted:

Also if dudes can be allowed to talk about how much they enjoy stuff, why can't people also be allowed to say how much they didn't enjoy something?

they absolutely are, but that's not what i'm talking about. they usually don't just say 'i didn't enjoy this', they specifically make fun of the people who enjoyed things too much without waiting for the designated amount of time.

alansmithee posted:

and i completely agree here. those people screaming 'aoty!' are usually just describing a great album. not a classic. but i'm still trying to figure out why people care so much that something someone called 'aoty' or 'classic' only turned out to be great. it's weird.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

also, drat is a classic.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

GoldfishStew posted:

Lol yeah we are discussing classic albums and you dropping names of never-wills.

Lil B has more influence on this generation than most artists will. Also, sometimes you can tell when something is a classic. First time I played “Hell Hath No Fury,” I knew I was listening to something different.

Protect Lil B At All Costs.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

GoldfishStew posted:

Jesus Christ he really does ape the gently caress out of me it’s insane. I’m seriously on y’all’s mute because you believed some joke post that I hosed dolls? So loving whack.

Actually I think people muted you because your internet moral outrage over rap music is tiring and you're irredeemably bitchmade

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You have to embrace GoldfishStew

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Marching Powder posted:

That wasn't the point, the point was good kid maad city is pretty much a classic here and now and no one, not even kendrick, was prepared to come out and say it at the time. that's loving weird, and points to something that is pervasive in all rap

I mean i think that's pervasive in everything? And it's not weird at all, in the same quote in the video Kendrick says it takes time to see if something's a classic. People don't want to be wrong, so they want to see how stuff develops. And honestly I'd think (at least in terms of professional reviewers) you'd want to be ahead of the curve in pumping something up, so you'd be more willing to have big opinions about stuff, not deflate things. It's not like reviewers who were down on stuff that is in hindsight considered great aren't dragged.

I guess I'd counter by saying why are some folks so hung up on the word "classic"? Like pitchfork gave the album a rating reserved for things named classic/album of the year type stuff. All this year there's been only one album over 9.0 (ironically, another Kendrick album, drat which got a 9.2). Does it make GKMC any less enjoyable for dudes not saying it's a classic immediately, especially when they're otherwise gushing over it endlessly? Or for a more recent example, is Flower Boy any worse because people aren't calling it a classic? Like it's really just an arbitrary distinction.

And dudes like discussing stuff. Some folks think it's goofy to see every average release get called classic (that's hyperbole, btw). The same reason dudes feel the need to say something's a classic in a public forum is the same reason folks feel the need to dispute it.

That said, in general I at least prefer seeing people excited about poo poo just because I love music and it's cool for folks to really get into stuff, even if I may not enjoy it.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Boywhiz88 posted:

Lil B has more influence on this generation than most artists will. Also, sometimes you can tell when something is a classic. First time I played “Hell Hath No Fury,” I knew I was listening to something different.

Protect Lil B At All Costs.

Ok but lil b does not have a classic album.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

GoldfishStew posted:

Ok but lil b does not have a classic album.

Lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You have to embrace GoldfishStew

Lol gently caress no

Protect lil b at all costs

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

IDK if I'd call it a CLASSIC but 6 Kiss is close anyways.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yawn ok what is lil b’s illmatic do tell

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

succ posted:

Lil B got stomped out and SGP put a curse on a bunch of people over Twitter and you all are effort posting about old albums. Smh

i hate to defend gfs here but discussing albums is literally what this thread is for while gawking about someone getting jumped is what tmz is for

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
lil b doesn't have a classic, he has a movement.

lil b crying after getting punched was the realest poo poo I've ever seen in hiphop.

legendary poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhyQolV7BOk

temple fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 22, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

temple posted:

lil b doesn't have a classic, he has a movement.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
motherfuckers forgetting about Blue Flame

Red Flame

and of course

Evil red flame

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Yeah, sorry, no, white flame and pink flame are both classics. Trapped in basedworld as well. And many others.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I tried to give Savage Mode another go cause everyone loves it but I think its just not for me.

edit - I also agree that TLOP is a classic, at least version 1.0. I have that on my phone, Its way better than the version on spotify.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i hate to defend gfs here but discussing albums is literally what this thread is for while gawking about someone getting jumped is what tmz is for

https://twitter.com/Vamp4200/status/921942230214107137

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GKMC is 5 years old today and that's absolutely a classic. I don't think anyone would even argue that it isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li2cOmWGZd8

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

GKMC is 5 years old today and that's absolutely a classic. I don't think anyone would even argue that it isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li2cOmWGZd8

Every time I'm in the street, I hear—
YAWK! YAWK! YAWK! YAWK!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

bows1 posted:

Every time I'm in the street, I hear—
YAWK! YAWK! YAWK! YAWK!

DJs always play that before shows and people always go mental

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Crumbletron posted:

I've heard it in DJ sets at least twice in the last month. It's a crazy good hype track.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Also I'm about to see Geostorm and it was literally just in a trailer (for Den of Thieves) before that :vince:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Crumbletron posted:

I’m guilty of doing this but gently caress it, like you said people go nuts.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

alansmithee posted:

People don't want to be wrong, so they want to see how stuff develops.

i guess this is the crux of it, and for professional reviewers i guess it's a legitimate concern, but i think it's strange to fear giving something too high a praise instead of too little. but for everyday folk though, i think it's kind of ludicrous. at the end of the day

alansmithee posted:

That said, in general I at least prefer seeing people excited about poo poo just because I love music and it's cool for folks to really get into stuff, even if I may not enjoy it.

this is where i land. i'd much rather people give something too much praise. it's cool to see people enjoying themselves.

cheers for the perspective. i found it an interesting topic.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

MrSargent posted:

I’m guilty of doing this but gently caress it, like you said people go nuts.

who doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Btw that fader article got Fantano’s speaking tour cancelled. Lmao