Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
mother of christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
the rest of it is indefensible but diePod is a pretty good pun

That's how I guessed the episode wasn't made in the last ten years and I was right.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

well why not posted:

I don't think I'd call Family Guy's animation particularly lazy, they do go to pretty extreme lengths when they do their action sequences. When it's just two people talking, yeah, there's not a lot going on, but it's no worse than any other show. The highs are higher. I hate the show, but it's animation isn't that bad.

Most of the action scenes in Family Guy are badly animated, by the standards of an action scene. They're over the top but they still have the same rigidness and lack of life that plagues the show the rest of the time.

Back in the old days something like the first two seasons of the Simpsons had some pretty awful problems with characters going hopelessly off-model or not being colored properly or even missing chunks of their body since they straight up forgot to draw them in. However the show had a lot of action, fludity and elasticity in characters movements, even in little things, and that's so important in anything animated and Family Guy sorely lacks that, look at this scene for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx6Lz0rzGX8
Or this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rsk1quUps0
I simply could not imagine Family Guy doing something with that much verve.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 22, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

the rest of it is indefensible but diePod is a pretty good pun

That's how I guessed the episode wasn't made in the last ten years and I was right.
it's a good latter-day Simpsons pun because it changed around more than one letter of the subject of mockery

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

khwarezm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rsk1quUps0
I simply could not imagine Family Guy doing something with that much verve.

That hatch gets me every time.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart

I had legit forgotten the simpsons could be this funny

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The watchdog of human safety... Can there be any lower form of life?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I enjoy the resignation in his voice when he says "oh very well, it's time for your bribe".

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I’m remembering the one joke where it’s like a movie trailer about a soccer mummy and at one point they say “oh no, he’s getting a boner!” And then you hear a ripping, and as a kid I felt it was the first time that I felt like a joke really didn’t fit within the general feel of the show and i found it more gross than funny

"Go, Soccer Mummy! You taught me to believe in myself!"

I though the boner joke was funny. But I saw it for the first time a few years ago, and it was better than alot of Simpsons in comparison. :shrug:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I haven’t watched a modern Simpsons in maybe ten years or so and I just saw the “Dancing Gay Horse” clip and it was so awful.

It’s like there’s so many different wrong things it becomes a incomprehensible Gordian Knot of bad.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah they’d make the characters all springy and flexible to give them more character or do subtle things with them like draw their eyes ever so slightly bigger to make them look naive/vacant or with bigger mouths for comedic effect
Now it’s all stiff poser models with no character or creativity

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

khwarezm posted:

Most of the action scenes in Family Guy are badly animated, by the standards of an action scene. They're over the top but they still have the same rigidness and lack of life that plagues the show the rest of the time.

yeah i wouldnt say that the family guy fight scenes are well animated so much as well choreographed. theyre definitely a little too visually noisy and go on for waaaay too long (i hate long fights in most movies anyway) but theyre at least more interesting to watch than the prancing pony.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Calaveron posted:

Yeah they’d make the characters all springy and flexible to give them more character or do subtle things with them like draw their eyes ever so slightly bigger to make them look naive/vacant or with bigger mouths for comedic effect
Now it’s all stiff poser models with no character or creativity

Yeah and the thing is it’s really hard to explain unless you’re really into animation or an animator it just “doesn’t feel like a cartoon”

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah and the thing is it’s really hard to explain unless you’re really into animation or an animator it just “doesn’t feel like a cartoon”

Something I'd suggest people do, in the Shinning clip I posted look at Homer's eye movements after he slams open the door and as he walks towards Marge. There are some really important subtle elements there like the way his eyes widen or squint to emphasis what he's saying and his mental state.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The words you people are looking for are "body language" and that's true. Maybe modern animators don't know body language because they don't interact with other people anymore. :v:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Police Automaton posted:

The words you people are looking for are "body language" and that's true. Maybe modern animators don't know body language because they don't interact with other people anymore. :v:

We do, the trouble is that most of the more famous prime-time animated properties on TV right now don't actually put much resources into the animation itself. Especially for small scenes.

I hate to keep harshing on Family Guy but you can see a lot of the short-cuts there that tend to denote quick and cheap animation. Characters standing ramrod straight (and most characters having the same stance, I really hate that in particular since it's more a failure of character design rather than animation necessarily), extremely limited movement where only the mouth actually moves most of the time and other times they use the same few stock motions and gestures so the audience doesn't get too disconnected from the characters. Flat framing of the scene (how many times have you watched a Seth Macfarlane show and its just two characters standing staring blankly straight at each other, both at 3/4 view on exactly the same level talking to each other and doing nothing else? Its pretty bad, I know this is a comic rather than animation but Coelasquid has a good write up on why you should avoid this like the plague). Movement feeling feeble and disconnected because only a small part of the body (like the arms) is actually moving and everything else remains totally static (again, look at some of the simpsons clips I posted, especially for the more dramatic stuff the character's entire body will be completely redrawn everytime to help give that sense of unified movement). A general lack of variety when it come to things like lighting, perspective or camera movement.

To be fair, every show does the above to some degree or another, including old Simpson, and I'd be more willing to forgive it since animation is hard, but something like Family Guy, American Dad or current Simpsons are massive, flagship shows for Fox with huge budgets but by and large they just don't bother that much with the animation compared to everything else and I also think you can see from some of the clips I posted that it used to matter a lot more in the Simpsons back in the day even though it had the same rough audience. Weirdly kid's cartoons often look a lot better nowadays and avoid a lot of the stuff listed above despite the less discerning audience, hate on Steven Universe all you like but it has a very high standard of animation compared to most TV shows.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 23, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
once you notice how much time characters conversing in FG stand around blankly listening MAYBE blinking when they're not the actual ones talking you'll never not notice it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The show is also full of endless establishing shots and exposition. Also the classic character-falling-down shot that uses as few frames as possible then lingers on the character not moving at all.

I had a theory that when Fox bought Family Guy back there was some agreement to animate as cheaply as possible.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The show is also full of endless establishing shots and exposition. Also the classic character-falling-down shot that uses as few frames as possible then lingers on the character not moving at all.

I had a theory that when Fox bought Family Guy back there was some agreement to animate as cheaply as possible.

In the commentaries for the first couple of seasons of the Family Guy DVD's, they mention a specific "tongue thing" that was a set mouth image that got used out of a series of different static mouth-types. They pointed it out because it was easy to spot, and it was hard to unsee it afterwards.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I think the Maude dies episode was when I actually gave up on the show. Not even trying to imitate Maude's voice/character, jerkass Homer, and a gag about Ned's horse cock (... why?) made it pretty clear the writers had open contempt for the show and its audience.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Probably already posted forever ago, but it's not like the simpsons are above reusing material.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Treehouse of Horror was disappointing. If you're gonna do a Coraline tribute, the CGI needs to be a lot better than it was. The segment where Homer starts eating himself was pretttttttty hosed up though.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Treehouse of Horror was disappointing. If you're gonna do a Coraline tribute, the CGI needs to be a lot better than it was. The segment where Homer starts eating himself was pretttttttty hosed up though.

Agreed 10000%. I could barely fuckin watch homer eating himself. What the hell

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Police Automaton posted:

Settle down, Miyazaki

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

This one infuriates me. I get being cheap on the day to day animation, but why not spend a bit of money on the intro?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

The furling and unfurling of marges hair compared to the modern jerk from right to left is really disheartening.

I got a question for modern simpsons watchers, do the simpsons still go to church? It really feels like an anarchism in the old episodes.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
'lisa masturbates'

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Robo-Marge some kind of a season-long story arc?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgsWyB3-xA

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I miss how 'bouncy' everything used to be. Look at marge's hair in that comparison. It windmills around like it's another entity. The modern version just looks like a stiff hat.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Robo-Marge some kind of a season-long story arc?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Police Automaton posted:

No joke, this is why Hayao Miyazaki hates anime. He straight up said it’s made by shut ins who don’t actually watch or interact with humans and modern animation is stiff and lifeless because of it

Arcsquad12 posted:

Settle down, Miyazaki

You get it

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 23, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There was some kind of documentary on Fox yesterday, because they didn't get the 4:25 Football game, about Homer at the Bat, and how Homer is now in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Did anyone watch that? I decided to watch a rerun of The Love Boat instead.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Youtube served this up to me the other day and despite it being from some dude who seems to mostly talk about anime, I thought it did a good job at both explaining why the Simpsons used to be good and why its lowest point is essentially ongoing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ReidRansom posted:

Youtube served this up to me the other day and despite it being from some dude who seems to mostly talk about anime, I thought it did a good job at both explaining why the Simpsons used to be good and why its lowest point is essentially ongoing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

I'm torn about recommending this. On the one hand, it's a brilliant and unemotional analysis of how it all went so wrong. On the other, I'm so goddamn sad now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Olaf The Stout posted:

I got a question for modern simpsons watchers, do the simpsons still go to church? It really feels like an anarchism in the old episodes.

Do you mean anachronism? Those old episodes with religious overtones (going to hell for stealing cable, Bart selling his soul) were weird and uncomfortable to European audiences, but they were still better than what we have now.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
do Europeans think it's ok to steal cable and sell your soul?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Olaf The Stout posted:

Yes, but more frequently Rev. Lovejoy will just appear somewhere so he can interject one lame joke into a group discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

well why not posted:

I miss how 'bouncy' everything used to be. Look at marge's hair in that comparison. It windmills around like it's another entity. The modern version just looks like a stiff hat.
what gets me is the smile marge makes. there is genuine relief on her face when maggie shows up in the original version, but in the new one it's just a plastic smile

Iron Crowned posted:

There was some kind of documentary on Fox yesterday, because they didn't get the 4:25 Football game, about Homer at the Bat, and how Homer is now in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Did anyone watch that? I decided to watch a rerun of The Love Boat instead.
i was at a bar the other day and this was playing on Fox Sports 1. there was a new-style animated scene where they were talking to one of the cops with Snake in the back seat

granted, if they were gonna do a documentary on any Simpsons episode, it should be that one