Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

xbilkis posted:

Is Towns going to be a problem building a defense around if he can't get his poo poo together? It seems like a very specific type of player you'd want to put next to him -- a guy capable of being a rim defender at the four, but who isn't going to get exploited in switches/the pick and roll. Gibson is a pretty decent fit in that regard, but probably still lackluster in terms of protecting the rim.

Who, ideally, would compliment Towns on that end? Is it even possible anymore to build a good defense around a guy who can only play center and can't defend?

Giannis

Although, the answer to every player in the league for that question is also Giannis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Sharparoni posted:

Westbrook = Brodie
Melo = Hoodie
Paul George = ___die? FOXDIE?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Does Thibs' defense still revolve around ICE principles?

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJucghIwq1g

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

He is dumb and doesn't play very hard on that end because he just wants to be on offense.

That 538 chart said Wiggins contested more shots than almost anyone else (but just had a bad percentage), which seems like trying but i guess. He's already looked a lot better this year.

xbilkis posted:

Is Towns going to be a problem building a defense around if he can't get his poo poo together? It seems like a very specific type of player you'd want to put next to him -- a guy capable of being a rim defender at the four, but who isn't going to get exploited in switches/the pick and roll. Gibson is a pretty decent fit in that regard, but probably still lackluster in terms of protecting the rim.

Who, ideally, would compliment Towns on that end? Is it even possible anymore to build a good defense around a guy who can only play center and can't defend?

Towns is actually quite good at the rim and very good at the perimeter on switches. His problem has been rotating. You want someone next to him that has that quickness (not necessarily speed) down low to help with that, and you want Towns himself defending P&Rs. Taj is a pretty good partner, I wouldn't trust going super small full time next to Towns yet. It's worth noting defensive 5s are usually not very good until 3 or 4 years in.

So far the Wolves have played 3 very good teams and their defense scores out pretty close to average. I don't think there are any glaring flaws right now, mostly execution. Their biggest flaw is playing a sweet shooting Spurs team and the OKC triple-headed monster, and a decent grind it out Utah offense.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

That 538 chart said Wiggins contested more shots than almost anyone else (but just had a bad percentage), which seems like trying but i guess. He's already looked a lot better this year.

it could also mean that teams are fine shooting against him because he's bad at defense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Folks, Andre Drummond is shooting 100% from the line this season and 85% if you throw in the preseason

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

RaySmuckles posted:

it could also mean that teams are fine shooting against him because he's bad at defense.

It probably means Wiggins routinely arrived just in time to technically be credited with "contesting" the shot but not in time to alter it in any meaningful way.

Wiggins is just a guy who only gives a poo poo if he has the ball or is guarding the guy who has the ball. Otherwise he doesn't care. Yeah excuses can be made for him (he's young, he's gotten lovely coaching, etc.) but the odds are long against a guy who doesn't fundamentally see basketball as a team sport changing his personality.

Even with all that though, he could be a star if only he would stop chucking up so many goddamn contested midrange jumpers with 14 seconds left on the shot clock.

xbilkis posted:

In theory, DeMarcus Cousins.

In practice, lol

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

slave to my cravings posted:

If lebron goes to LA maybe lavar could be the dad he never had

Or Lebron can be the dad Lonzo never had.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My problem with Wiggins wasn't his lack of defense so much as his lack of literally anything other than volume scoring, but his shot selection has been much better so far, and he's actually rebounding and creating shots for others with his passing.

He still needs to work on his loving free throws though.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

big boi posted:

It has come to my attention that Wiggins has the nickname Maple Jordan

FYI this nickname was assigned very early, around when he was drafted. It was always aspirational but it has become less and less fitting. It's now kind of a general insult to Canadians.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Listen, invest in bitcoins right now. It might be rough for a bit but trust me, in five years it'll be worth it.

scuz posted:

Don't listen to this guy.

What you should do is buy every BlackBerry device you can see cuz they're gonna be worth zillions in a just a few years.

EvanTH posted:

FYI this nickname was assigned very early, around when he was drafted. It was always aspirational but it has become less and less fitting. It's now kind of a general insult to Canadians.

I GET IT

big boi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 23, 2017

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

The Suns also had an opportunity to trade Bledsoe, Josh Jackson, and perhaps others to the Cavaliers for Kyrie Irving, according to multiple reports, but passed on the opportunity in favor of maintaining the youth movement. It remains to be seen if not making the deal for Irving was a mistake, but the Jackson experiment isn’t off to a good start. In the fourth quarter of the Suns’ 42-point loss on Saturday, Jackson pointed in the direction of fans, appeared to make several trigger-pulling motions, and yelled “gently caress you.”

:haw:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Not trading Jackson for kyrie was the correct decision

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Rockets signed Briante Weber to fill time while Paul is out. I have no idea what a Briante Weber is, but ok

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21124590/briante-weber-agrees-two-way-contract-houston-rockets

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm not going to judge a rookie in three games, but in general Josh Jackson + Bledsoe for Irving is not a very good trade for Phoenix. It's better is go young and bad than let Kyrie drag you to the 11th best record in the West.

Josh Jackson fighting with Phoenix fans might be God's work.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

G-Hawk posted:

Rockets signed Briante Weber to fill time while Paul is out. I have no idea what a Briante Weber is, but ok

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21124590/briante-weber-agrees-two-way-contract-houston-rockets

He's basically a poor man's Patrick Beverly

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I don't care about not trading him, I'm amused by a rookie fighting with the fans of his own team 3 games into the season. There's more Suns goodness. They fired assistant coach Mehmet Okur, who posted a photo of his family and had this to say:

quote:

Family first Other little s... and MFS comes and goes in my life ✌️F... em I am out for now y'all ☝️ see y'all down the road

He has already deleted the post, but it was liked by Eric Bledsoe. Praise the Lord.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/10/23/16520080/mehmet-okur-suns-coach-fired-instagram

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Yeah, Irving is good enough to demand a max contract, but he's not nearly good enough to make any significant difference in Phoenix's short to medium term future, so they'd be stuck with a guy on a huge contract and still getting murdered in the West. That would have been a dumb move for Phoenix, even if they'd look slightly better right now (ie, losing by 10-15 points every night instead of by 30 every night like they are now). He wouldn't even be able to help mentor their young guys (or at least you wouldn't want him to be mentoring young guys, he seems kinda...not smart), and would likely get in the way of Booker's development.

RaySmuckles posted:

Those defensive contest stats should probably also include whether or not the player actually contested the shot or was just near it when it was taken. I don't know how/if you can measure that with the Sportsvu stuff, but the easiest way to tell a player isn't giving a poo poo on defense isn't whether or not they're around the shooter, it's whether or not they're actually doing anything to alter the shot other than existing in that space at that time. Old vets like Melo who only have interest in offense can be targeted on defense by giving their man the ball and letting him shoot - Melo (or whoever, Jim Harden for ex) will likely be close to the guy when he shoots, so they get credit for being there, but they're just standing there watching their guy shoot over their head, no hands up to contest or anything. That takes energy. Good defensive players won't necessarily have great contest stats because offenses just avoid giving their man the ball, like a great CB in football. If Wiggins continues to have high contest numbers while teams continue to shoot well on his contests, it probably means they're shooting over him knowing he's not giving it a full effort on that end. He's quick and athletic and long, if he actually contests shots, that oppFG% should be low as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/922461874670600193

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

lavar cutting wrestling promos for real now

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Lavar Ball is a pox upon the great Lakers Nation

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Dog John Wall is going to make Lonzo look like Cam Payne.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's gonna be cool is that if Lonzo is a bust and is backing up D'Angelo in Brooklyn in 3 years we're going to have to go through Hype Man Lavar all over again with LaMelo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

zoux posted:

What's gonna be cool is that if Lonzo is a bust and is backing up D'Angelo in Brooklyn in 3 years we're going to have to go through Hype Man Lavar all over again with LaMelo

We could just stop posting his stuff and reading the articles about him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
In fun with small sample size news Ekpe Udoh has a defensive rating of 77 and has seven blocked shots in like 40 minutes of playing time

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

We could just stop posting his stuff and reading the articles about him

Yeah and the Knicks could get the triangle working too

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/922508915803348993

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lol John Wall is going to eat Zo alive

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So can I order a new Bledsoe Clippers jersey now, or do I still have to wait?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
JR is back

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/922504316006621184

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

https://twitter.com/EBled2/status/922512031902703616

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

lmao

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Damnit Suns I thought the Bulls had the most dysfunctional team on lock

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/922513369416044544

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Eric the Mauve posted:

So can I order a new Bledsoe Clippers jersey now, or do I still have to wait?

I think the Nuggets will make another offer.

Bledsoe/Harris/Chandler/Millsap/Jokic

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/922513369416044544

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Fantastic.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

That is a good move for the team, good on Wade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Maybe but they probably won't (and definitely shouldn't) give up Murray and Chandler/Mudiay/crap/a non-lottery pick probably won't be the best offer.

But this is the Suns so who knows, they might give him away for Mudiay and a top 22 protected 2021 pick

• Locked thread