Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

A Canticle for Leibowitz

Pound pastrami, the BEST PASTRAMI ONLY FROM TRUMP TOWER AND PUT KETCHUP ON IT AND I REALLY KNOW PASTRAMI TRUST ME, can spray tan ORANGE TAN ONLY ORANGE IS THE BEST COLOR TRUST ME FAKE FAILING CNN NEWS SAYS I SPRAY TAN BUT I DON'T I JUST NEED IT TO GIVE YO PUERTO RICO., six bagels SEE LOVE THE JEWS, NOT AT ALL RACIST IN FACT IM THE BEST AT NOT BEING RACIAL—bring home for Trumpy.” 

really the shopping list from the book doesn't have the same ring in this timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wiping ourselves out is one thing but we’ll do it in a way that takes the biosphere with us when we do, guaranteeing that the dolphins or octopuses or whatever don’t get a shot, MAGA

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

vains posted:

miami has 50' draft. savannah and charleston both have 45' or less.

miami isn't an especially important port because it only serves the local market and nobody makes anything in florida. its located at the end of a peninsula adding at least 350mi to the trip of any discretionary cargo to be discharged there. the only thing to load back are empties. it's a last call port on a vessel string, not a first call.

Hm, I know we were draft limited in Miami and not the others for some reason but it might be due to schedule on the trip. It's never been a frequent stop on the schedule for the second reason, probably why the US flag isn't a frequent visitor.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 23, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Terrifying Effigies posted:

FYI Fort Repose is gonna be the only thing left standing south of the Georgia line when the bombs fall.

I appreciated this post.

Pat Franks’ Alas Babylon is my favorite book of all time. I sleep to the audiobook constantly.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

LostCosmonaut posted:

reminder;

Maybe I should transfer to my company's place in Idaho.

For the life of me I still cannot figure out why Medford loving Oregon is on somebody's nuke short list.

A dumb old army reserves and national guard group???

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In even a limited exchange I'm going to be turned into ash so eat it, suckers. There's no point in trying to escape even with a 45 minute window, in DC regular traffic that would get me nowhere let alone in an evacuation situation.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'm driving north to the canadian hinterlands and living in a bush if a nuclear exchange does happen. Might be okay for a while. I should really start stockpiling water and food though

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
If I have 10 minutes warning I can easily escape to a survivable pressure level from the blast of an 800kt warhead hitting the center of my city. But we're also directly east of Colorado and will probably all be cooked by a billion tons of fallout soooooo...

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why the gently caress would they nuke Memphis loving Tennessee? I live in the suburbs east of Memphis and this upsets me. If I had a choice of where I’d like to ride nuclear poo poo out it’d be in Mount Dora Florida. It’s the town Fort Repose was based on. The map y’all posted also spares it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vasudus posted:

In even a limited exchange I'm going to be turned into ash so eat it, suckers. There's no point in trying to escape even with a 45 minute window, in DC regular traffic that would get me nowhere let alone in an evacuation situation.

dance on the hood or roof of your car man if you get stuck may as well

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I look forward to seeing who can turn into the best shadow

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I've always figured the only place in the DC area that'd remotely survive an apocalypse would be Fort Valley, simply because the locals could potentially seal up the few entry points and keep out the horde of survivors/looters coming from the east. Only three two lane roads and one or two gravel fire roads in or out, with it's own water source and farm lands inside. Only thing you'd have to worry about is fallout coming in from the Midwest.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

my kinda ape posted:

If I have 10 minutes warning I can easily escape to a survivable pressure level from the blast of an 800kt warhead hitting the center of my city. But we're also directly east of Colorado and will probably all be cooked by a billion tons of fallout soooooo...

does fallout favor rotation of the earth or prevailing wind. this is actually an honest question

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

does fallout favor rotation of the earth or prevailing wind. this is actually an honest question

The coriolis effect is how the rotation of the earth affects the prevailing winds.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

If I recall Nuclear Winter by Carl Sagan correctly it's Prevailing Winds but I read that book a long time ago and it was written in the late 70s.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Why the gently caress would they nuke Memphis loving Tennessee? I live in the suburbs east of Memphis and this upsets me. If I had a choice of where I’d like to ride nuclear poo poo out it’d be in Mount Dora Florida. It’s the town Fort Repose was based on. The map y’all posted also spares it.

Millington Naval installation. I think they keep/train seals there.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Duke Chin posted:

For the life of me I still cannot figure out why Medford loving Oregon is on somebody's nuke short list.

A dumb old army reserves and national guard group???

Aside from Rogue Valley International–Medford Airport formerly being an international airport, and Oang Medford Armory I'm drawing a blank as to why it's on the map. I'm not seeing a whole lot of interesting things in Jackson County in general.

If you want to get :tinfoil:, I guess you could spin it that it's related to the ULF experiments that were alleged to have taken place at a military installation in the area in the 1970's.

I'm sure both of us are missing something though.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's just not smart to pick a fight with a military widow.

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/922427384808091648

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/922427573149212673

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/922428137857679360

Watch it happen again.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

"Dead soldier widow paid off by Dems to LIE on TV! #FakeNews"

There, I just predicted Trumps response.

In other news, Tampa Bay might have a serial killer on the loose. Three homicides since October 6th, they appear to be related.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/police-seek-publics-help-as-they-investigate-third-death-in-seminole/2341766

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/922440008971292672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

His base will believe DJT and think the widow is being manipulated or she is lying

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/922440008971292672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

His base will believe DJT and think the widow is being manipulated or she is lying

Old news, here's the real story!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/922430688703451136

Please love the flag

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Don't worry, there will be enough of his crowd who make comments about her "looking for a handout" etc that it won't matter. It won't hurt their delicate sensibilities to be racist to her, she's just the widow. Her dead husband will have been "one of the good ones".

Jesus I've been reading too many Twitter comments.

Although I'm a big fan of tweets like this in response to the NFL tweet:

https://twitter.com/JacobAWohl/status/922430802079531008

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"One of the good ones" who was part of a mentoring group set up by Rep. Wilson when he was a kid. Social programs?! Good?!

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

What was the source on this?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Hremsfeld posted:

What was the source on this?

Russia

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Don't worry, there will be enough of his crowd who make comments about her "looking for a handout" etc that it won't matter. It won't hurt their delicate sensibilities to be racist to her, she's just the widow. Her dead husband will have been "one of the good ones".

Jesus I've been reading too many Twitter comments.

Although I'm a big fan of tweets like this in response to the NFL tweet:

https://twitter.com/JacobAWohl/status/922430802079531008

That dude, Jacob Wohl, is going down for securities fraud and figures that his best hope is to suck up to Trump for a pardon.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That dude, Jacob Wohl, is going down for securities fraud and figures that his best hope is to suck up to Trump for a pardon.

I thought I'd heard his name before. That makes me feel all warm in my cockles.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Millington Naval installation. I think they keep/train seals there.

They train at Fallon too, alongside Top Gun. Guess the tower is good enough for buzzing but not vaporizing.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

So with those clusters of dozens of nukes hitting within Cheyenne, etc. Do we have any idea what that even would do? Is there some emergent property when the outer bands of one nuclear explosion intersect with a few more, and so on?

Because, according to that other map out there that shows you the range of effects from different types of nuclear munitions, I was under the impression the most current warheads that would be used have enormous impact zones compared to grand-dad's nukes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They're probably not that accurate, or at least they weren't at the time. The idea was just to pound everything there into ever-smaller pieces of rock/gravel/dust with as many warheads as could actually arrive on target.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
In my next life I hope to be one of those people who earnestly reply to every trump tweet. Pro or anti trump, they both sound like loving losers

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Godholio posted:

They're probably not that accurate, or at least they weren't at the time. The idea was just to pound everything there into ever-smaller pieces of rock/gravel/dust with as many warheads as could actually arrive on target.

something something bridge in Russia with 20 MIRVs targeted on it

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Hot Karl Marx posted:

In my next life I hope to be one of those people who earnestly reply to every trump tweet. Pro or anti trump, they both sound like loving losers

Qft

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Discussions like this just make me sad we can’t bring up the Peacekeeper for awesome Death by MIRV discussion, instead of Russian gimmick weapons.

Are the Tridents the only mirv’s we currently still field?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Don't even bother following that story. Gold Star Families only exist to be politically useful and then go back into the box along with everything else politicians pretend to care about when it's convenient.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I look forward to seeing who can turn into the best shadow

I'm gonna be the nuclear equivalent of that Pompeian dude who left behind an ash statue of himself jacking off before he was consumed by the pyroclastic flow

Also apparently Govt employees are being forced to take their NKO/AKO equivalent online courses on the dangers of leaking, and it uses clips from Fox News :psyduck:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

kupachek posted:

Aside from Rogue Valley International–Medford Airport formerly being an international airport, and Oang Medford Armory I'm drawing a blank as to why it's on the map. I'm not seeing a whole lot of interesting things in Jackson County in general.

If you want to get :tinfoil:, I guess you could spin it that it's related to the ULF experiments that were alleged to have taken place at a military installation in the area in the 1970's.

I'm sure both of us are missing something though.

I remember when I was young the big news about the Umatilla chemical weapons depot. Wiki said it held 12% of the nations chemical weapons. It is straight east of Portland and completely shut down now though. I don’t know of anything in Medford. I almost assumed that was a way to break I5 and shut down the only way in or out of the main border through pipe.

The map says the entire I5 corridor from Portland to Eugene gets roasted so I guess it’s heading east (seems safest) and working my way down to ranch country in Oregon, or heading toward the coast which seems like traffic jam hell and certain death.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I’m just sad for all the good dogs and cats who would be in the nuke blast range.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope Mattis replaced the football with one of those baby toys that has buttons and lights on it, like on day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bolow posted:

I'm gonna be the nuclear equivalent of that Pompeian dude who left behind an ash statue of himself jacking off before he was consumed by the pyroclastic flow

Also apparently Govt employees are being forced to take their NKO/AKO equivalent online courses on the dangers of leaking, and it uses clips from Fox News :psyduck:

Friend of mine at the NSF had to take that course. She just turned the volume off and listened to podcasts for two hours and then scribbled on a sheet. No one at the office gave a single gently caress.

• Locked thread