Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
One major problem with buying big appliances from Amazon is if there's a problem. Our new Samsung fridge wouldn't dispense water or make ice and it took a week to get a response from Samsung. We eventually just had Lowe's come and pick it up and got a different brand. Had we bought it from Amazon, we'd been stuck dealing with Samsung exclusively.

Amazon could probably compete in that market, but they'd have to arrange for installations and returns while still being cheaper than the local big box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

With H.H. Gregg gone and Sears likely toast, I guess all the appliance business is going to Home Depot, Lowes and Best Buy.

I don't think Amazon is shipping fridges. Yet.

Sears/Kenmore have a deal to sell Kenmore appliances on Amazon.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm surprised to see so many people buy from Best Buy. Traditionally Sears has been better with the deals. I hate Sears though so it's nice to know when i go shopping BB is a viable option

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
BB(at least the couple near me) have vastly improved and enlarged their appliance departments in the last couple years.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Having worked at Best Buy and being tasked with comparing prices and stuff, it's right up there with the other guys. It is actually part of why you're seeing the transformation of that section in their stores. The products are profitable, have service attachments, and they are really competitive price and service wise with places like Sears. I'm kind of a Best Buy fan boy from working there so long ago, but I'd still rather buy an appliance from not-going-bankrupt-not-depressing-to-go-to Best Buy than Sears.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Spiderjelly posted:

The pro move is to put a sheet on top of a foam topper and have that be your bed. Floor sleeper 4 lyfe.

this was very close to being our sleeping situation a few years ago and I would rather not :colbert:

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

The Snoo posted:

this was very close to being our sleeping situation a few years ago and I would rather not :colbert:

Live in Asia for three years and American mattresses will feel like marshmallows.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Best of luck to those who own one, but I've heard nothing but horror stories from people who've owned Samsung appliances for more than a few years (people whose houses I've been to, not just second-hand anecdotes). Not to say the classic brands are foolproof either; we had to get our Maytag washer replaced after a few days. But it was still a pretty painless experience. Samsung's customer service is an absolute nightmare, even for TV repairs which you'd think is their wheelhouse. They typically send some independent contractor whose main goal seems to be voiding the warranty in order to make the inevitable follow-up repairs even more of a headache.

I think the old dinosaurs will still have the appliance market locked down for at least 5 more years or so. But obviously I'll never say never. Someone could disrupt this market, but they've got a way to go.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jastiger posted:

Having worked at Best Buy and being tasked with comparing prices and stuff, it's right up there with the other guys. It is actually part of why you're seeing the transformation of that section in their stores. The products are profitable, have service attachments, and they are really competitive price and service wise with places like Sears. I'm kind of a Best Buy fan boy from working there so long ago, but I'd still rather buy an appliance from not-going-bankrupt-not-depressing-to-go-to Best Buy than Sears.

Just :lol: if you think Best Buy is doing good

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Here's how Sears liquidation is going in Toronto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IALvCZsuBg

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

Best of luck to those who own one, but I've heard nothing but horror stories from people who've owned Samsung appliances for more than a few years (people whose houses I've been to, not just second-hand anecdotes). Not to say the classic brands are foolproof either; we had to get our Maytag washer replaced after a few days. But it was still a pretty painless experience. Samsung's customer service is an absolute nightmare, even for TV repairs which you'd think is their wheelhouse. They typically send some independent contractor whose main goal seems to be voiding the warranty in order to make the inevitable follow-up repairs even more of a headache.

I think the old dinosaurs will still have the appliance market locked down for at least 5 more years or so. But obviously I'll never say never. Someone could disrupt this market, but they've got a way to go.

After we bought our Samsung and had problems with it, the guy at Lowes was doing that whole 'I'm saying non-committal vague things verbally but I'm shaking my head nooooooooo' about Samsung products. I think the problem is they're still a relatively new player and they don't have the same repair/support network as other manufacturers. Also Samsung makes fridges like they make phones in that they stick way too many non-essential features in there to create an impression of value. I'm not saying they are bad. But I think they're probably overpriced and if something goes wrong you're going to have a more difficult time getting decent support.

We ended up getting a monster Frigidaire with two icemakers that produces enough ice to keep a dead body cold for days.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bonzo posted:

Here's how Sears liquidation is going in Toronto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IALvCZsuBg

Wth is going on there? No staff?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Iron Crowned posted:

Just :lol: if you think Best Buy is doing good

Their stock has been going up for years. They’ve concentrated on profitable areas like appliances and services, cut costs using third party in stores where possible, and have moved on to cost cutting like shutting down stores (worked at one of the two they just shut down this month back in 2009). Heck, they just outsourced a big part of their online Geek Squad workforce. Say what you will about their inevitable end years from now, but they’re certainly not doing bad.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Whatever you do, stay the heck away from Whirlpool and any subsidiaries. I did QC work for a company contracted by Whirlpool; we have one of their larger manufacturing facilities in our town. Every component that made the dishwasher a dishwasher and not a plastic tub sitting in a metal box, pumps, motors, control boards, everything, was from China or Mexico, with the build quality you'd expect. Which is why the QC company I worked for literally had an office in the factory as they'd never run out of work.

Granted, probably all home appliance companies do this, which is why you should just buy the cheapest drat thing and expect to replace it eventually. Planned obsolescence has made buying for quality an exercise in futility below a certain economic level.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I have a Samsung washer and dryer set.

It got recalled.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Krispy Wafer posted:

We ended up getting a monster Frigidaire with two icemakers that produces enough ice to keep a dead body cold for days.

:yikes:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Spiderjelly posted:

The pro move is to put a sheet on top of a foam topper and have that be your bed. Floor sleeper 4 lyfe.
My back hurts just thinking about this.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ryonguy posted:

Whatever you do, stay the heck away from Whirlpool and any subsidiaries. I did QC work for a company contracted by Whirlpool; we have one of their larger manufacturing facilities in our town. Every component that made the dishwasher a dishwasher and not a plastic tub sitting in a metal box, pumps, motors, control boards, everything, was from China or Mexico, with the build quality you'd expect. Which is why the QC company I worked for literally had an office in the factory as they'd never run out of work.

Granted, probably all home appliance companies do this, which is why you should just buy the cheapest drat thing and expect to replace it eventually. Planned obsolescence has made buying for quality an exercise in futility below a certain economic level.

in the UK, commonly Hotpoint/Indesit. GOOD POINTS: their stuff basically works! And you can fix it yourself a lot of the time! BAD POINT: you will have to. We have a Hotpoint washing machine and Indesit dishwasher, and both are great but I am regarding them as semidisposable.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
From my experience selling appliances for 5 years (in Canada), Samsung front load washer/dryers were great (they also built Kenmore high end front load washer/dryers.) Samsung fridges were pretty good but everything else was garbage. LG fridges were great (also built high end Kenmore fridges.) Any fridge with an icemaker...well just expect the icemaker to be poo poo no matter the brand. Bosch dishwashers were amazing (again, they built Kenmore high end). This is the reason Kenmore is so popular in Canada is because people can get a matching set of appliances (same handles/look etc) but also have them built by the best manufacturer for that specific appliance. You would not believe how picky people are about their appliances matching. It's nuts.

Also having worked for Sears for the 5 years before their sudden decline, we saw it coming.

Also also, when you purchased appliances you could buy 5 year protection plans. Which is 5 years additional warranty past the manufacture warranty. Sears repairmen would come and do any repairs/replacements in those 5 years.

Guess who won't be honoring those warranties now? And no money back for them either.

Those protection plans cost roughly $200ish for a washer, or up to $700 for a fridge.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Radar posted:

Due to a confluence of factors, both Marvel and DC are barely moving any comic books these days and the future's not looking too bright. I recently read a pretty good 30,000 word essay (in the form of a loving Twine game :wtc:) that goes into great detail on why. In addition to other things people have mentioned, one of the big reasons the US comic industry sucks is that one company (Diamond) has had a monopoly on the retail distribution of print comics in the US since the 90s. Unlike most book distributors, they don't accept returns of unsold copies so this makes comic stores super-conservative in what they order (since if they order too much of a book they're stuck with letting it languish on their shelves until it does sell, or trashing it and eating the cost). They also require all comics to be pre-ordered 3 months in advance, even new titles that nobody has seen yet (and which may not even be finished yet) and Marvel and DC primarily make their business decisions on which books to support based on these pre-orders. In one example in the essay, a book went from an ongoing series, to a miniseries, and finally cancelled all before the first issue even came out because its pre-sales didn't meet expectations. This, of course, is a really lovely situation for everyone and does absolutely nothing to help grow anyone's business.

Wanted to second this. The guy is Colin Spacetwinks on Twitter. They're a real neat person with good insights and a kind heart. Also furry, but nowadays with Nazis running around who really cares about that?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I read a detailed article. The problem with repairing Samsung appliances is that (A) there are very, very few certified repairmen and (B) Samsung barely ships replacement parts to the U.S. If there were sufficient supplies of replacement parts, repairing Samsungs would be doable. Without the parts, well...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I read a detailed article. The problem with repairing Samsung appliances is that (A) there are very, very few certified repairmen and (B) Samsung barely ships replacement parts to the U.S. If there were sufficient supplies of replacement parts, repairing Samsungs would be doable. Without the parts, well...

Makes sense. When I called they told me a ticket was open and to expect a callback. When one never came I called back and they told me to be patient. I then asked for a ticket number and had that awkward moment where the person telling me to please be patient admitted no ticket was open and no one was going to call me back.

My guess is Samsung is starting to punish tier 1 support for opening too many dispatches, so the agents try and punt problems to other helpdesk reps. Blaming your call centers is easier and cheaper than expanding your service footprint or keeping parts in stock.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Since this is temporarily appliance chat: what's the deal with front-load washers? What's the advantage there?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Volcott posted:

Since this is temporarily appliance chat: what's the deal with front-load washers? What's the advantage there?

You can put stuff on top of it without blocking the door.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

You can put stuff on top of it without blocking the door.

Uh, less water, cleaner clothes, longer lasting clothes, less soap.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Volcott posted:

they seem to be more popular outside the US bc they're smaller, but this is just a casual observation

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Burt Sexual posted:

Uh, less water, cleaner clothes, longer lasting clothes, less soap.

They don't really drain fully so you get nasty swamp water eventually. Unless you clean it regularly or something.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You have to occasionally use cleaning tabs to get rid of any smell. Vinegar works too.

Front loaders rock.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mustached Demon posted:

They don't really drain fully so you get nasty swamp water eventually. Unless you clean it regularly or something.

You don’t have a good front loader, or one at all. 2 loads a day 5 days a week.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Burt Sexual posted:

You don’t have a good front loader, or one at all. 2 loads a day 5 days a week.

In-laws have one and that was their biggest complaint. Not sure how often they used the cleany tabs or vinegar...

You mean you run yours a gently caress ton? That's not a lot of time for swamp stank to grow.

Personally, I have a high efficiency top load. Big difference is the lack of center pillar in the drum. Aside from scheduling repairs due to the above mentioned recall I have no complaints after a few years.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I went with Tuft and Needle, a local mattress place, for my mattress. They were on Amazon too, but at least with the local free delivery, if something hadn't worked out, they would have come back to get it, rather than me trying to ship a mattress back to Amazon....somehow.

Here is something I don't get: other than a small selection in Party City, I have not seen any kind of poo poo for Pokemon by ways of new toys or various add-ons for the Pokemon Go or any other games that came out recently. Yes, I know Nintendo doesn't own POGO, but it seems like a gold mine no one taps into.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Wth is going on there? No staff?

Probably nobody gives a poo poo considering they're losing their jobs.

Hell that shoe department looks like the one at my own Sears during Christmas. Chronically understaffed, and nobody got paid enough to care.

I feel for the lifers I used to work with, but driving past the Sears the other day I felt such a wave of relief that I managed to find another job with 3x the salary. gently caress Sears.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mustached Demon posted:

You mean you run yours a gently caress ton? That's not a lot of time for swamp stank to grow.

I use mine (LG, came with the house) once or twice a week. The door has a little magnet to hold it barely open and dry after a load. I haven’t done anything to it in the year I’ve been here, and it just smells like stainless steel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We had to clean out our front-loader's rubber flange thingy with vinegar recently. Also I found a ballpoint pen in there.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Spiderjelly posted:

Live in Asia for three years and American mattresses will feel like marshmallows.

Who the gently caress wouldn't want to sleep on a marshmallow?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I was really confused by people being specific about 'front loading' washing machines until someone mentioned top loading. I've never seen the latter in someone's house, is that really normal in the US?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Corrode posted:

I've never seen the latter in someone's house, is that really normal in the US?

Yeah, in most homes and common areas of middle-class apartments.

At least in my experience, they're half the price and have a larger capacity than available front-loaders.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Corrode posted:

I was really confused by people being specific about 'front loading' washing machines until someone mentioned top loading. I've never seen the latter in someone's house, is that really normal in the US?

Yeah, they were pretty much standard for a long time. The first time I ever saw a front loader was a wall of them at a laundry mat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've lived with and used front loaders, top loaders, and even an old fashioned twin-tub with a built in dryer. (which a couple of kittens got stuck in once for a couple of days. They were fine, just they and the dryer needed a wash afterwards)

I figure front-loaders are popular for being easier to use, load and unload (reaching all the way down when you're old, young or short can be difficult and all) and small enough to fit in people's increasingly limited living spaces, while top-down ones have higher capacity and are more stable. People probably just buy whatever's convenient for them at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

For high efficiency top load vs front load they're basically the same when it comes to total costs. The spindle ones aren't but those are cheaper up front and durable as gently caress.

Mustached Demon has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Oct 24, 2017