Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Doesn't the game even award you points for eating the pie as though that's the correct thing to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Yea, it’s daft. I had Graham eat the pie exactly because the leg of lamb would seem more useful for hostile animals later. And of course, since the eagle eats the whole thing, nothing tells you that Graham wouldn’t do the same..

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Come to think of it, the conversation Graham has with the baker is all about how delicious the pie looks and how he's sure to enjoy it. Giving the player the impression that it's intended to serve as provisions.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah the issue isn't necessarily the solution itself, but how the game goes well out of it's way to mislead you.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

At the cost of an extra animation, having the eagle leave you a bone from the meat and letting you trip the yeti with the bone would have been a good solution!

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Actually, no. Not only will eating the pie not give you points, it will make you LOSE points. So at the very least, if you're one of those point obsessives, you'll know something is wrong.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 18, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest V. We're fairly close to the end of the game now. This section seemingly lets up from the linear path of the mountains, but there's typically only one thing we can do at a time.

iron bar

: It is a lovely golden locket on a delicate chain. Upon opening it, Graham sees a portrait of an older couple in regal attire. So as not to damage the picture, he quickly closes it again.

: The heavy iron bar is a bit rusted from being out in the weather.

Progress is to the north, but the path also goes south from here. So why not go that way first.

south

Not gonna lie, making a house out of the bow of a shipwreck is kinda rad.

house

: A makeshift house, fashioned from the bow of a wrecked ship, occupies the south end of a small, narrow beach.

: Ooooh isn't this a funny house, Graham? What kind of person would live in a place like this?

Let's calmly knock on the door and talk to the inhabitant. I'm sure someone who lives on a disused beach on the sheltered side of a very tall mountain is someone who wants company.

:stare: Who knocks on a door like that?

: Graham pounds on the door, but finds it bolted from the inside. He can, however, hear activity within.

Because Graham can't be trusted to knock on the door like a normal human, let's try ringing the bell for service.

bell

Good job, Graham. You disturbed a hermit.

: Who are you? What are you doing on my beach?
: I am King Graham of Daventry and I'm on a journey to find the wizard Mordack's island. But I seem to be stuck; I don't know where to go from here.
: Eh? What's that you say?

There's a shitload of dialogue here, where Graham gets increasingly irritated at the Hermit ignoring him. Unfortunately, it's completely out of order in the transcript. So while I can show you the individual parts, I can't show how they fit together.

: Eh? I can't hear ya!
: What's that you say?
: What? Speak louder, boy!
: Eh? What's that?
: I can't understand ya!
: Gotta speak up, boy!
: Eh?
: What? I can't understand!
: I can't hear ya! Speak up!
: Can't understand a thing you said. Gotta speak up boy! Now, get on outta here!

: Please help me. I need your help.
: I just need some information.
: Do you know where the wizard Mordack lives?
: I don't know where to go from here.
: Can you help me?
: My family has been kidnapped by Mordack. I need to find him.
: You've got to help me!
: Please! Take the time to listen to me.
: I need help to find Mordack's island.
: I think I'm lost. I need your help.
: I think you can help me...if you would only listen.

Anyway, the Hermit doesn't seem like he'll be very helpful. So let's just go north instead. I think I saw a boat up there.

north x2

: Look Graham, there's a boat here. Maybe we can uuuuse it.

What am I doing, you ask? Oh... nothing. Just saving for no real good reason. Without dwelling on why I would show a save screen, let's climb in the boat.

boat

: C'mon Cedric, get in the boat!
: Aye aye, captain!

: Watch out, there's a hole in the boat!
: Help! Hellllp!

: Thanks for playing King's Quest V.

boat

: An old, cast-off sailboat sits forlornly on the narrow, sandy beach.

There's another description, but for all my trying I was not able to trigger it. You're supposed to be able to look at the sailboat again to get...

: Graham notices a small hole in the bottom of the old sailboat.

After reloading from showing off the death, I clicked the eye on the boat four times, and was never able to get the second line to play. Just due to the nature of King's Quest V, anyone with the stubbornness to make it to this point is going to assume something is up with the boat. But when a cursory examination doesn't reveal anything out of place...

I originally had this long rant about the "gently caress you" nature of the puzzle, and how the developers were changing the rules mid game. But the fact that the description is supposed to change and doesn't is arguably worse. Maybe you're supposed to leave the screen and come back. Who knows!

Thankfully, the solution to this awful puzzle is straightforward enough. Just gotta plug the invisible hole.

boat

: Graham firmly wedges the softened piece of beeswax into the small hole in the boat's hull. Hopefully, the wax will hold and make her seaworthy.

King's Quest V - Sailing and the Serpent

The open sea is kinda like the desert in that there's a lot of places we could theoretically go.

This is a map from the King's Quest wiki. 18 squares, counting the 3 on the beach, and only one possible destination. Well, 2 if we enter the "here be dragons" section of the map. Let's do that actually.

north

: Graham, watch out!

: That is a nasty sea creature.

The sea serpent is like the desert scorpion. It serves as a hard boundary to where we can't go.

So let's rewind back to the previous screen.

east x2, south, east

This takes us right to "Harpy Island". Not like we have any choice in the matter.

King's Quest V - Harpie Island

: Look, Graham! An island! Perhaps we should explore it.
: Yes, I think we should, Cedric.

: Ooooh Graham, I don't like the looks of this...
: Me neither.

: Graham! Help me!

There's a required item on the beach. You can see it glinting in the gif. We'll have to get that in a moment.

Yet another glinting item in this gif. But first we have something slightly more pressing to deal with...

: Where did you find HIM, Minotta?
: We found him on the beach. Isn't he luscious? Yummm!
: I don't know... he doesn't look like MY type. What do YOU think, Cruleena?

: I think he looks too old and tough. I like MY meals to be young and tender.
: Don't be so picky. I'm tired of fish. I haven't had a man in months.
: Yes, you did. I saw you steal a man off a raft just last week!
: Oh, he doesn't count! He was already picked over by the time I got to him!
: Well, at least this one's fresh!
: I don't know about you girls... but I'm ready to eat!
: Oh, you're ALWAYS ready to eat. That's why you're so fat!
: I am not!
: You are too!
: Oh, quit arguing, girls! Let's eat!

: Hate to harp on the subject, but... Graham was no match for the vicious harpies!

Out of everything in our inventory, the harp is probably the thing that makes the most sense to use here. "Taming the savage beasts" and all that.

: What's he doing? What's that thing?
: I don't know, but I want it!

: Hey!
: That's not fair!
: Bring it back!

: GET HER!

Now that we're done listening to Josh Mandel and Roberta Williams screech at each other, let's take stock of our surroundings.

Do you see the tiny pixel item in the screenshot? I pointed its glint out earlier. Just look for the discolored pixel on the grass, next to the foreground rock formation. Yeah, be sure to pick that up.

If we don't have that item, then it's just as bad as not picking up the locket from the roc nest. Both DMWs terminate in the same place for the same ultimate reason, actually.

pixel

: Half-hidden in the coarse island grass Graham notices an old fishhook.

pixel

: Graham quickly bends down and rescues the fishhook from the ground.

: This is a rusted old fishhook.

There's nothing more we can do here, so let's just leave.

west

cedric

: Poor Cedric. Having been seriously wounded by the vicious harpies, he now lies, moaning and in pain, upon the sandy path.

Cedric is dying. We could leave him here and be done with him. But... leaving Cedric to die is the third DMW that terminates at the final puzzle of the game. Believe me, if I had any choice in the matter, I'd leave that racist scumbag for the harpies. But we actually want to win, so...

: Graham... *cough cough* Help me...

: Cedric, where do you hurt?
: Ooooh... everywhere... *cough cough*

west

glinting mess of pixels

: Graham notices a large conch shell lying delicately upon the sandy beach.

conch shell apparently

: Graham bends over and picks up the beautifully-colored shell.

boat

Whoops, poo poo. I forgot something.

north

Hope you got everything the first time, including Cedric. Because if you come back, you die.

Anyway, that's a good stopping point for now.

NEXT TIME: Mordack's Island

List of Points

+2 - Found a prybar
+5 - Plugged the hole
+3 - Found the only island in the ocean
+4 - Tempted the harpies
+3 - Got Cedric
+2 - Conch shell

Total

173/260

Register of Deaths

Invisible hole in the boat
Here be dragons
Harpy food x2

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Pictured: a very disgruntled King's Quest V player trying to confront Roberta Williams at her house.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

DoubleNegative posted:

Do you see the tiny pixel item in the screenshot? I pointed its glint out earlier. Just look for the discolored pixel on the grass, next to the foreground rock formation. Yeah, be sure to pick that up.

If we don't have that item, then it's just as bad as not picking up the locket from the roc nest. Both DMWs terminate in the same place for the same ultimate reason, actually.

Missing the fish hook and letting Cedric die will leave you walking dead until the last puzzle of the entire game, but I want to say missing the locket will give you a game over a little sooner than that. In Mordack's oubliette, when Cassima doesn't show up to rescue you.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Bloops Crusts posted:

Missing the fish hook and letting Cedric die will leave you walking dead until the last puzzle of the entire game, but I want to say missing the locket will give you a game over a little sooner than that. In Mordack's oubliette, when Cassima doesn't show up to rescue you.

Remember how getting captured by the guys at the inn resulted in a random game over, and the logical conclusion was "I shouldn't go into the inn" whereas the game requires you to conclude "I should go to the inn specifically after rescuing a rat"? The spoiler is another situation like that.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I like how that map apparently didn't trust the reader to understand that Harpy Island would have harpies on it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

U.T. Raptor posted:

I like how that map apparently didn't trust the reader to understand that Harpy Island would have harpies on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OwN7eYZseI

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
My guess about the narrator not mentioning the hole in the boat is that it's a bug.

I'm still trying to figure out Graham's thought process behind "Mordack kidnapped my family and my castle, there is a boat here, let's explore this ocean Cedric and I know nothing about, let's definitely explore that massive island Cedric and I know jack about."

And not surprisingly, going for a swim in the ocean is invariably fatal.

Oh, no! The water is much too cold for swimming!
Help! Helppglub-
Say hello to Davy Jones, Graham!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

U.T. Raptor posted:

Given this game? It could easily have crazed harp-makers who'll kill you unless you pick up a broken matchstick on the third screen of the game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Snorb posted:

I'm still trying to figure out Graham's thought process behind "Mordack kidnapped my family and my castle, there is a boat here, let's explore this ocean Cedric and I know nothing about, let's definitely explore that massive island Cedric and I know jack about."

To be fair, he's been told that Mordack lives on an island, although I can't be bothered to look back and see exactly who told him that. Probably Crispin.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I had forgotten the harpies existed. This part of the game is fuzzy in my memory.

As for the hole in the boat, my vague recollection is that the hole part only triggers depending on WHERE YOU ARE STANDING when you look at the boat. Not sure this is true though.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

gegi posted:

I had forgotten the harpies existed. This part of the game is fuzzy in my memory.

As for the hole in the boat, my vague recollection is that the hole part only triggers depending on WHERE YOU ARE STANDING when you look at the boat. Not sure this is true though.

I thought that was the bridle in 4.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
While it might be a bit stupid, the fact that the harpies loved the harp was almost a pun, so I'll let it fly.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Harpies gonna harp, man.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone, and welcome back to King's Quest V. Last time, Cedric got greviously wounded by some harpies and now his life is in our hands. So let's not waste any time and get moving.

If we consult the ocean map, we're not too far from the beach we started on. Right now we're directly south of Harpy Island. So...

west x4

The Hermit is the only vaguely friendly person for miles in any direction, so we have to see if he can help us. Maybe he'll be more receptive if he sees Cedric is wounded...

bell

King's Quest V - The Hermit

: You still here?
: Please help me. I need your help.
: I can't hear ya! Can't understand a thing you said. Gotta speak up boy! Now, get on outta here!

We've got a few seconds before he slams the door in our face, so let's see if we can't help him out.

: Graham can almost hear the ocean inside the spiral shell of the conch.

I bet the spiral of the conch would be perfect for directing sound into the Hermit's ears.

: What's this?
: Graham mimes holding the shell, points at it, and then raises his hand up to his ear. The Hermit stares for a second and then understands and holds the shell to his hear.
: Now what were you wanting?
: My owl friend is hurt. He was wounded by the harpies.
: Wounded by the harpies, did you say? Well, bring him on into the house. I'll fix him right up... good as new!

The hermit has dialogue for if you left Cedric to die on the island, though it's largely the same. Just replace "bring him on into the house" with "if you can bring him to me." Let's just move on.

: Lay him on the bed there. These poultices should fix the little feller up good as new.

: Ooooh I'm feeling better already! Tell me, what was in those pooooultices? My employer would be very interested in them.

: Eh? What was that?
: I said, what was in those poultices? My employer would be interested in them.
: Gifts from the sea, lad. Gifts from the sea. Ain't nothin' special. You just gotta know how to use 'em. I don't think he'd find them particularly interestin'.

: Now, son. What was it you was tryin' to tell me before?
: I was trying to find out where the wizard Mordack's island is. He kidnapped my family and is holding them hostage there. I MUST get to them before it's too late!
: Oh, I'm right sorry to hear about that. He's a nasty one, that Mordack. I wouldn't wanna tangle with him. I'd try to talk you outta goin' there 'cept I can see that you cain't leave your poor defenseless family unaided. I can enlist someone who can lead you straight to his island. Follow me outside.

: The Hermit blows a nautical whistle.

King's Quest V - The Mermaid

: Pearl, this man needs your help. He needs you to lead him to Mordack's island. It's a real emergency. Mordack's holding his family hostage. Pearl can't speak human talk but she's agreed to help you. Just get on into your boat and follow her.
: Cedric and I want to thank you for all your help, Mr.... uh?
: Don't worry about who I am. You just get on over to that there island and take care of your family.
: Aye aye, sir. We're off! C'mon Cedric!

I guess Pearl is taking us past the sea monster.

King's Quest V - Mordack's Castle

Because there's no mistaking Mordack's island for anything other than what it is.

: Oh, no! Watch out for the rocks, Graham!
: Brace yourself, Cedric!

Hope you found the locket, the iron bar, Cedric, and the fish hook. Because there's no going back anymore.

: Help me, I'm caught! Oh, help!

: Are you all right, Cedric?
: Well, let me see... I'm fine, Graham. Just a bit rrrruffled, is all.

: Ooooh I hate to say this Graham, but I don't like this place at all!
: I know what you mean, Cedric...

fish

: Ugh, a dead fish. Well, maybe I can use it.

: The smelly old fish is much too disgusting for human consumption.

If you walk off right here, Graham screams for half a second and then you hear a splash. Then the generic "falling to your death" message plays.

And if you...

south

: I think I'll stay here until you come back.

: Say hello to Davy Jones, Graham.

Contrasting the deaths from Wednesday, these are pretty funny. Being randomly grabbed by a squid is pretty high up on the "you can't even get mad because it's so funny" list.

Anyway, let's carefully walk up the path to the north.

north

: Ooooh I don't like this place. It's crrrreepy.

snake

: Two monstrous statues of grotesque, distorted serpents face each other across the narrow trail leading to Mordack's castle.

Well this looks legit. Let's go north past the obvious guardians.

north

: Too bad. It looks like the EYES have it.

So, this puzzle isn't too bad I guess? Graham is still wearing Madame Mushka's pendant, so this is some pretty powerful and evil magic. So there's only a handful of items that could work here.

snakes

It seems fairly straightforward to me. But I could also just be thankful that it's not or yeti.

The guardians are taken care of, so let's move on! :toot:

north

: Well, it looks like there's n-n-no way in. Let's turn back.
: Come ON, Cedric!
: Look, there is nothing on this world or any other that will stop me from rescuing my family. We're NOT turning back. You're free to go if you like, but I'M staying. End of discussion.

Anyway, this is a transitional screen. There's nothing to do here but fall off a ledge and go around the corner to the left. And we've fallen off enough ledges in this game already.

northwest

: See? D-d-dead end! Let's go back now!
: No! I'll figure this out.

Well, the grate is dead center of the screen, and beyond the sheer drop and chaos rocks in the background, it's the only notable thing here. So that's probably what we need to mess with.

grate

: Graham notices a rusted grate imbedded into a stone platform of Mordack's castle.

grate

: Graham tugs hard on the grate but soon finds it's rusted in place and can't be budged.

Alright, so before we pass this puzzle and end the update... I want everyone to take the time to say goodbye to Cedric. Because as of right now, we're officially done with him for the rest of the game. He's not going to follow us inside, and beyond some screentime in the ending and a slight cameo much, much, much later on, we're done with him period! :toot::hf::toot:

Oh, and apparently if you spend too much time on this screen, you get discovered by one of Mordack's henchmen? I only learned this just now by looking at the transcript. :shrug:

grate

open grate

: Ooooh you're crazy to go down into that dark hole; yoooou don't know what's down there!
: Well, do YOU have any better ideas?
: No... uh, mind if I wait for you here?
: No, that's a GOOD idea, Cedric. You be the lookout out here!
: Yes... I'll be the lookout. Be careful, Graham!
: Graham rolls his eyes and climbs down into the dark hole.

That's enough for now!

NEXT TIME: Mordack's Maze

List of Points

+7 - A shell of an easier time hearing now
+1 - Smelly fish 2
+5 - Blew up the snake eyes
+4 - Wedged grate open

Also some points I forgot to add in previous updates...

+2 - Got tambourine
+3 - Fed the eagle

Total

195/260

Register of Deaths

Falling into the water around Mordack's island from a height of 5 feet.
Swimming home
The eyes have it

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I see you didn't know you could talk to the yeti, so you don't have its image. Oh well, here we are, at the villain's lair. We just need to get through the rest of his defenses, which certainly includes an angry ex-wizard, figure out how to make our family normal size, and then defeat him. Well, good luck Graham. You're going to need it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DoubleNegative posted:

Contrasting the deaths from Wednesday, these are pretty funny. Being randomly grabbed by a squid is pretty high up on the "you can't even get mad because it's so funny" list.

Sierra had a few of deaths that seemed so unintentionally :razz: that they ended up being amazing. My favorite was in the truly horrible Codename: Iceman. A game that was intended to be a Tom Clancy style geopolitical thriller set almost entirely on a nuclear submarine. So naturally, you could accidentally drive a stole falafel truck of a cliff.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is Cedric actually Mordack's owl?
I ask because after his general uselessness the sudden attack of negativity right at the end feels a tad suspicious, and as far as I remember we only have his word he's Crispin's owl.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Omobono posted:

Is Cedric actually Mordack's owl?
I ask because after his general uselessness the sudden attack of negativity right at the end feels a tad suspicious, and as far as I remember we only have his word he's Crispin's owl.

It was meeeee, Graham! It was me all alooooong!
Ah sunova...

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
I always enjoyed how ticked off Graham gets with Cedric at this point. Shows the developers were self-aware.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bloops Crusts posted:

I always enjoyed how ticked off Graham gets with Cedric at this point. Shows the developers were self-aware.

And yet they made Cedric anyway. Self-awaredly irritating the player is still irritating.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jagged Jim posted:

It was meeeee, Graham! It was me all alooooong!
Ah sunova...

YOU"RE A FOOL,CRISPIN!

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Bloops Crusts posted:

In the King's Quest Companion, Graham dislikes Cedric right out of the gate.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Game's too early for 'your companion is really with the bad guys' to really be a thing, but Cedric is just too cowardly and basically of zero help.

Seriously the one thing they could've done to make Cedric way less hated is to turn him into a hint dispenser, even if it's a flag to show you're DMW and reload i.e:

"I hope that mouse got away." if you didn't boot the cat.

or

in the town with the coin: "Graham - hold up, I thought I saw something."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I don't want to know how that old rotting fish is going to come in handy.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Glazius posted:

I've played this game to death but I can't remember what it's for. I don't think it's puzzle is strictly mandatory.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Deathwind posted:

I've played this game to death but I can't remember what it's for. I don't think it's puzzle is strictly mandatory.

Its puzzle isn't mandatory, but if you think about the characters we know to be in the castle it should be somewhat clear.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am very curious about

a) what the Yeti has to say.

b) the identity of Old Man Openly Mysterious No Name Provided.

c) who came up with that serpent. It's the stuff of nightmares.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I tried talking to the yeti once; all it does is have Graham ask "Uhh.... can we... talk??" very nervously. (Understandably so, considering... you know. Yeti.)

Robindaybird posted:

Cedric, gently caress off

Cedric was definitely intended to be a hint button, but all talking to him does is one of:
a) Directions you could have gotten simply by walking around.
b) "Cedric seems to be thinking big thoughts right now, perhaps planning their next move, and so is not inclined to talk to Graham at the moment."
c) Warning us about blatantly obvious poiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisonous snakes.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Glazius posted:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Haha Jesus christ! Has Cedric actually done anything helpful throughout this entire adventure? All he does is give his useless opinion on a situation, whine, complain and gets himself routinely kidnapped. Is he there to teach players the virtue of patience?

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 23, 2017

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
:cedric: Graham might have missed the poooooisonous snake without my advice :cedric:

But not really, that owl even got venomous wrong.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

GuyUpNorth posted:

:cedric: Graham might have missed the poooooisonous snake without my advice :cedric:

But not really, that owl even got venomous wrong.

This game has such opaque puzzles that I wouldn't put it past them to make the solution be where Graham bites the snake.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

He does at least one useful thing for you, hence why not getting him patched up after the harpies is DMW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

King's Quest V - The Labyrinth

Hello everyone and welcome back to King's Quest V. We're very nearly done with this game, but before we can claim victory first we have to navigate an actual maze.

Even better, we have to navigate a maze where the perspective changes to always be behind Graham. There's no point in even showing screenshots of traversing it, because there's a unique angle for every possible way you could be turned.

Image courtesy of the KQ Omnipedia wiki.

We start under the HOLE square, and the exit is DOOR in the top middle. However, first we need to visit a DINK square, so we're going to go to the lower left corner first. Dink can also show up in the upper left dead end of the maze, for what it's worth. He's always been in the first location that I checked, but something tells me he could just randomly not show up at any given location. This is King's Quest V, after all.

King's Quest V - The Dink

Uh... hey there.

beast

: A huge beast, sporting a fluffy topknot bound in a crude hairpin on top of his head, skulks in one dark corner of the labyrinth.

beast

: Dink.

: Duh... Dink! Dink! Duh... duh... duh... Dink!

Let's try to get closer.

: Shouldn't play around with Dink, Graham!

Dink looks like he might want something to play with. So...

I'm actually not sure what the thought process behind giving him the tambourine is supposed to be. My "giving him a toy" idea is the one that makes the most sense to me. The whole puzzle doesn't even really register on the KQ5 scale, to be honest. Let's move on, there's a lot more we have to cover today before we're done.

Also let's not forget Dink's hairpin before we go.

hairpin

: Graham reaches down and grabs the hairpin off the labyrinth floor.

: The hairpin is made of a carved piece of bone with a sharp metal clip attached to it.

We're in the lower left corner. We gotta get to the top middle. It's a fairly straightforward path, but remember that the perspective always changes to be behind Graham. This maze sucks.

Just to make it that much more annoying to traverse, you have to click on the tiny border of the interior view instead of the edge of the screen like the other 99% of the game.

door

: There is a wooden door here! Perhaps it will lead into the castle.

door

: Graham tries to open the wooden door, but to no avail as it's securely locked.

We had to go visit Dink first, as we can't unlock the door without first having visited him. Now that I've said that, you can probably guess what to do here.

door

: Graham inserts the hairpin into the door's large keyhole and discovers, to his amazement, that it fits perfectly! Turning it ever so gently, he soon hears a soft click and the door is unlocked!

King's Quest V - Mordack's Pantry

The last several times we found ourselves in a pantry, we've needed to loot it for goods. So there's no reason to suspect this will be any different.

cupboard

: Inside the cupboard, Graham's eyes fall upon a bag of dried peas.

The peas are the only object we can interact with here. Plus the narrator did specifically call out the peas, so...

peas

: Reaching into the open cupboard, Graham retrieves the bag of dried peas.

north

King's Quest V - Princess Cassima *Recommended listening*

Do yourself a favor and click on that link. The theme that plays in here is a breath of fresh air. The girl in here, Cassima, is one of the main characters in King's Quest VI and her theme is part of the game's main theme. We'll cover that much more later, but for now... just enjoy this first glimpse of KQ6.

cassima

: A lovely young girl with long black hair, olive skin, and flashing green eyes laboriously scrubs the cold stone floor. Though wearing rags, her beauty nevertheless shines through.

: Don't come near me! Leave me alone!
: I would never hurt you. I'd like to help you.
: I don't believe you! You're probably one of... THEM!
: I'm not; believe me.
: Just go away... please! I don't want to talk to you anymore.

If you didn't pick up the locket, this is all that she will ever say to you. We have no way of knowing that it's her locket, and I have no idea how the hell it wound up in a Roc's nest many miles away but...

Click here for video

: Wherever did you find my gold locket? I thought it was gone for good. I lost it on the island just after I was brought here by Mordack.
: You wouldn't believe me if I told you. Tell me, who are you... and how did you come to be here?
: My name is Princess Cassima from the Kingdom of the Green Isles. My father, the King, employs a horrible Vizier who befriended Mordack. When Mordack saw me, he immediately wished to marry me and bring me here.
: Naturally I refused and my father agreed with me. But our refusal angered him so much that he stole me here anyway, and put me to work as a scullery girl.
: He says he will never let me go... that a scullery girl I will remain until I agree to marry him. But the thought revolts me! What am I to do?!

: Don't worry. I'm here to save my family from the wizard. He's got them here someplace imprisoned inside a glass bottle. If I can manage to rescue them then of course I wouldn't forget you, either.
: I know the glass bottle you're talking about! It's in Mordack's laboratory upstairs!
: Keep quiet about my presence. I think this will be the most difficult part of my journey. I may not... survive it.
: I would NEVER give you away. And I will help you in any way I can, kind sir.

: By the way, who are you?
: I'm King Graham of Daventry.
: I think I know where that is! It's very far from my home, though.
: Don't worry. Somehow... I'll get you home again. But first, I've got to save my family.
: Yes, well... I'll stand by you, King Graham. I'll help if I can.
: Thanks. I may need it.
: Well, I'd better get back to work. And you should keep out of sight!
: Aye, aye, m'lady.

Well, meeting an ally in here wasn't expected. But it is welcome! So let's not get Cassima in any trouble and move on.

east

Neat. A pipe organ.

organ

: hideous, yet fascinating pipe organ commands attention as Graham walks through a downstairs hallway.

organ

: Graham watches in horrified fascination as the grotesque organ begins to magically play a weird tune all by itself.

: Goodbye, King Graham of Daventry.

: Poor Graham. Mordack shows no mercy.

The organ is a gigantic trap. The last thing we want to do is attract Mordack's attention, so just ignore it and it won't summon him by playing a 90 second long clip of upbeat music in a minor key.

The dining room consists of two screens. We can randomly find a black cat hanging out here, as well as...

A weird blue alien creature that abducts us and tosses us in an oubliette.

That's a good stopping point for now.

The DMW from the locket terminates here. It may be possible to get past the alien creature and up to the top floor, but in which case it terminates at the final puzzle. Either way, you're still a dead man walking for not grabbing a single pixel in 15 seconds.

NEXT TIME: Hoggle helps us escape the oubliette, and then we go on to confront the Goblin King and get Toby back

List of Points

+3 - Friends with Dink
+2 - Borrowed Dink's hair pin
+4 - Lockpicking
+2 - I want peas
+4 - Befriended Cassima
+2 - Dropped in a cell with no exit

Total

212/260

Register of Deaths

Very expensive, Graham
Force choke