Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

I vocally support CIG, RSI and the game.

I have decreased my posting because my duties at work have increased. Lots to do before the end of the year and all . . .

I'm glad your family is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

ManofManyAliases posted:

I have decreased my posting because my duties at work have increased. Lots to do before the end of the year and all . . .

New 3.0 Iron Steel Clad ToS Hype!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Toops posted:

Yeah his insights are more true today than flipping Moore's Law.

Read The Mythical Man-Month. Also, read AntiPatterns. It will explain CIG almost perfectly.

I mean just look at this list:

- Cart before the horse: Focusing too many resources on a stage of a project out of its sequence
- Death march: A project whose staff, while expecting it to fail, are compelled to continue, often with much overwork, by management which is in denial
- Ninety-ninety rule: Tendency to underestimate the amount of time to complete a project when it is "nearly done"
- Overengineering: Spending resources making a project more robust and complex than is needed
- Scope creep: Uncontrolled changes or continuous growth in a project’s scope, or adding new features to the project after the original requirements have been drafted and accepted (also known as requirement creep and feature creep)
- Smoke and mirrors: Demonstrating unimplemented functions as if they were already implemented
- Brooks' law: Adding more resources to a project to increase velocity, when the project is already slowed down by coordination overhead.

I prefer the Brooks' law definition that goes like this: "Adding more people to a project that's late will only make it later."

Source

I would like to add my favorite cig flaw

"not invented here"

CIG can't accept that even within their playerbase there are many people with a better understanding of game design for spaceflight and combat than the interns they pay for it

Of course the community team still likes to write "feedback cycles" on their flags. But reality is that the incapable designers are almost shielded against feedback as that often directly contradicts what Crobberts ideas for game design are (which are generally poo poo and based on assumptions from 20 year old arcade games that he tries to transfer to physics based spaceflight and complex vehicle dynamics)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lladre posted:

If you were Scott Manley you would have the self control of Scott Manley.

Your logic is flawed.

You are right of course

Correct would be to say "if I was sitting where Scott Manley sat during that panel"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/922466573478187009
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/922459399020601344

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Combat Theory posted:

You are right of course

Correct would be to say "if I was sitting where Scott Manley sat during that panel"

But then Mr Manley would have had to ask you to get out of his chair.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That dude's aware CIG literally marketed a $15,000 package for their game, right?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

That dude's aware CIG literally marketed a $15,000 package for their game, right?

And Maht_Daymun is a vaguely alt-right account that frequently suggested that black is white almost constantly. It's almost as though they were performance art clothed in mental illness.

eg 'Millions' playing either ED or SC. ED being in financial trouble despite actually having delivered a game. SQ42 _existing_ and _having a story_, etc, etc.

I feel guilty for not dropping a ha'penny for the tour of bedlam.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Yes. The escapist having trouble is surely because they dared to challenge the gaming juggernaut Chris Roberts with an article a couple years ago.

No other factors were at play and the shocking act of criticizing Star Citizen was the lynchpin of their decline.

Also Sears is closing a bunch of stores because of this really rude cashier that snapped at me when I asked a question. I am not at all insane and connecting events in my own mind.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

I thought posting was your duty at work.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Also Sears is closing a bunch of stores because of this really rude cashier that snapped at me when I asked a question. I am not at all insane and connecting events in my own mind.

It's clearly from that time I asked them to call me back with availability on a dishwasher and they failed to, forcing me into the waiting arms of HH Greggs and their sweaty sales staff.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

A new backer is excited to join the community! Let's see what happens!

Oh no, another pleasant interaction on /r/starcitizen ruined by those terrible goons trying to make everyone look toxic! :ohdear:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Idiot 1: "We don't know what happened, but I wonder if this is related to Star Citizen. I wonder if Derek feels bad about possibly being involved in something that might have impacted the success of the site?"
Idiot 2: "Yeah, he totally won't feel remorse at how he's responsible for the article that sent them into decline."
Idiot 1: "I agree, and wait until the trolls change their tune about how good CIG's legal team is for bringing down this company."

It only took two posts for speculation to turn into fact. No wonder CIG is making money off of these people.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

And Maht_Daymun is a vaguely alt-right account that frequently suggested that black is white almost constantly. It's almost as though they were performance art clothed in mental illness.

eg 'Millions' playing either ED or SC. ED being in financial trouble despite actually having delivered a game. SQ42 _existing_ and _having a story_, etc, etc.

I feel guilty for not dropping a ha'penny for the tour of bedlam.

If you take almost any post made by Maht_daymun and swap CIG/SC for Frontier/ED his posts start to make a little sense, it's like he just gets the two games mixed up, in his mind ED is SC and vice versa.

He's batshit crazy tbh.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh no, another pleasant interaction on /r/starcitizen ruined by those terrible goons trying to make everyone look toxic! :ohdear:

Would now be a good time to get a bunch of goons together to bombard the :reddit: with praising SC posts to troll the living poo poo out of the ever welcoming community there? :D

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Holy Shite

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

If you take almost any post made by Maht_daymun and swap CIG/SC for Frontier/ED his posts start to make a little sense, it's like he just gets the two games mixed up, in his mind ED is SC and vice versa.

He's batshit crazy tbh.

Yeah, and in my usual underestimation of human stupidity, I think 'nobody could actually be that damaged, could they?'

Shows me, obviously.

Concern troll or actual customer. Nobody can tell anymore. Best just treat everyone as a concern troll until they've proven their loyalty.

Edit: We _are_ in their heads, aren't we? Cultural victory.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 23, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The even weirder part is there's probably a dozen people in that thread going "Wait, all the stuff that's happened (or not happened) in the last five years made you more confident in the project? What the gently caress is wrong with you" lmao

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

Yeah, and in my usual underestimation of human stupidity, I think 'nobody could actually be that damaged, could they?'

Shows me, obviously.

If it's any consolation, for a very long time I actually thought he legitamately was just getting the games the wrong way around and one day would be embarrassed at his error.

So :sympathy:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

AutismVaccine posted:

Freespace 2 loving rocks. You really get immersed in the thing.

good voice acting >> mediocre/ok live-action FMV

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Bubbacub posted:

good voice acting >> mediocre/ok live-action FMV

Star Citizen would be unironically superior if it was using FMV. I'd stand in line to watch Gillian Anderson and Mark Hamill yelling at one another while wearing WWII jumpsuits with the word spacesuit written on it in permanent marker.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAR8rWPluQ

:black101:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

thatguy posted:

He should have doubled-down like we did with MoMA. Way more comedic that way.

But I really am not Toast :confused:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ManofManyAliases posted:

I have decreased my posting because my duties at work have increased. Lots to do before Citizencon and all . . .
you don't really have to do anything because they have already conned themselves.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you read the letters back from QA, all hands are on deck, smashing bugs.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Lladre posted:

If you read the letters back from QA, all hands are on deck, smashing bugs.

So all their Studios have been infested by content locusts?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

BeefThief posted:

guys we're terribly sorry...we really wanted to have 3.0 ready for you to play before citizen con but our main FoIP developer broke both his hands in a bicycle accident, so we've got a few critical blockers for this critical tech that are keeping it from getting it out the door. I'm not going to give any dates or anything on when we might be done since people give me poo poo for that and we're only a year late on the patch, but you will probably see something in about two weeks.

now here's a video of ben lesnick, recorded four months ago, where he describes the ultimate game changer ship now available for $800. it really punches above its weight.

I would change that to hand washing Chris' exclusive prosche and he backed over his hands.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I only watched a few second snippets of that panel

1) did lando spend the whole thing with that smug smirk on his face after dropping some fact on the 'crowd' ? "We've actually made over 1000 YouTube videos. That slide is wrong. :smuggo:

2) when they're introducing themselves and the one guy says he waits for new ship ideas from Ben , poor guy must have to throw out a lot of poo poo. Ben this is just a square scribbled on a napkin from Chipotle

3) Ben looking like a king sitting at his throne the whole time, I realize his eyesight is poor but he spends the whole thing glowering down at everyone

4) I think all the cig staff forgot it was a public event and not their internal poo poo show of a company. All the little inside jokes they make and snickering like 15 year olds all the time

5) Scott Manley how did you contain yourself from jumping up on the table and denouncing their their bullshit and rhetoric in the name of selling more fake jpegs ?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

new TOS due up with 3.0 going live.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hope you can fit in some smug posting about 3.0 when it goes live to everyone and amazes us all.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I just found out that if you post a photo of a larger person from the neck down and then a photo of yourself flexing next to it and just write "6 months of hard work" on you photo you feel REALLY amazing about your overweight body.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

AP posted:

Hope you can fit in some smug posting about 3.0 when it goes live to everyone and amazes us all.

Well see it much earlier than midyear

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Breetai posted:

Hang on, I know that he was removed from the project, but three years? Wow, I guess I always overestimated what the contribution the guy actually gave.

He came up with the name, and a high level hand waving concept that he could not even remotely execute on - because his focus was always on refactoring the art every week, and not actually coming up with a design. All he cared about was making the opening hi-res cinematic as cool looking as possible. Most of the DA team were either doing work on that, or doing pre-vis work for Robert Rodriguez’s Spy Kids - which was blocked out at DA for the CG shots.

Chris was removed from DA for a number of reasons besides just this one, and was well paid on his way out. He has nothing he can legitmately cry about on that end. Then, those that were left at DA had to figure out how to make a real game out of the SC-esque alpha tech demo, which took three years to do.

His name’s on the box, because the IP was his original idea, and Erin stuck by it and kept it running after his brother hosed off to LA.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

BeefThief posted:

MoMA why don't you clean that nasty loving counter the $10,000 coffee machine sits on

Because I don't work a CIG.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AP posted:

I guarantee it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

What CitizenCon presentation are you most excited about?

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

ManofManyAliases posted:

What have your sources been buzzin about lately?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

I guarantee it.

Which bit do you guarantee? That it'll amaze everyone, or that you'll smug post about it regardless?

For some reason I remember a deafening silence from you the last time CIG pooped out a bad demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Dusty Lens posted:

Star Citizen would be unironically superior if it was using FMV. I'd stand in line to watch Gillian Anderson and Mark Hamill yelling at one another while wearing WWII jumpsuits with the word spacesuit written on it in permanent marker.

good voice acting >> mediocre/ok live-action FMV >>>> janky mocap