Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

TheKennedys posted:

so, work in a kitchen?

Welfare queen. Sit around, do drugs, get paid.

Nice work if you can find it.

Fake Edit: Top of the page so I guess this has to have content.

Overworked job goon: Injure yourself on the job in a way that no one questions it but doesn't impede your lifestyle. Then see above.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Stop calling your fiance your wife.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rock stars' jobs are basically to have sex, do drugs, and play rock n' roll, and they all end up offing themselves by the time they're 27, presumably because all the fun things in life have become work

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A rock star leans back in his solid gold chair while three nubile fans go down on him. He snorts a line of blow off the erect penis of another fan while he watches two men fight to the death for his entertainment. He sighs to himself and fantasizes about having to call IT because Excel isn't pulling up files from the shared directory anymore.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

It's like I've always said, the idea that you should do what you love is bullshit. You might love coding, cooking, singing, or whatever the gently caress else, but the moment you start doing it for a living, it stops being fun and starts being work. Then all of a sudden you're left without your passion, and everything sucks. The trick is that you need to find something you enjoy, but wouldn't otherwise do unless you're being paid for it. That's why I'm a caregiver. Do I enjoy taking care of the elderly? Sure, most of the time. It's emotionally satisfying and all that crap. Would I do it if I weren't getting a steady paycheck? Hell no.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ziv Zulander posted:

It's like I've always said, the idea that you should do what you love is bullshit. You might love coding, cooking, singing, or whatever the gently caress else, but the moment you start doing it for a living, it stops being fun and starts being work. Then all of a sudden you're left without your passion, and everything sucks. The trick is that you need to find something you enjoy, but wouldn't otherwise do unless you're being paid for it. That's why I'm a caregiver. Do I enjoy taking care of the elderly? Sure, most of the time. It's emotionally satisfying and all that crap. Would I do it if I weren't getting a steady paycheck? Hell no.

Thank god I love jerking off. I can do it once a day easily. Anymore and it does feel just like work.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

LingcodKilla posted:

Thank god I love jerking off. I can do it once a day easily. Anymore and it does feel just like work.

So you work from home op?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pffft, once a day is a minimum. Can't let that goop build up or it will go bad and you'll get ball cancer. On a rainy day home alone I could knock out like 7 or 8. It's a fun and safe way to kill 55 seconds!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Job Guy:

Whether or not she's being unreasonable isn't terribly important, it's the message that is--she's saying "dude you are never here and that sucks, is our entire marriage going to be like this because gently caress that." You get to decide if this reaction is acceptable or not as you'll be the one, you know, building a life with her.

What you don't want is for the long hours to continue for the next year and to come home early one day to find a strange car in your driveway and a half-naked dude jumping out your bedroom window.

I guess, unless you're down with that?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

runupon cracker posted:

I'm going to take a slightly different tone with Overworked Goon:

Hey, shitnuts, stop being a goddamn rear end in a top hat and get the gently caress out of there. If not for yourself, then for everyone else. The only reason why businesses get away with this poo poo is because spineless turds like you put up with it. A little overtime every now and again is ok and understandable. 12 hours a day nearly every day is loving not, and I bet you're not getting a single thin dime out of it either. Seriously.

yeah this.

Don't let the boomer assholes work you to death and ruin your life and marriage so they can further enrich themselves at the expense of you and everyone else. gently caress them right in their whiny entitled asses.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

Right after college I began dating a woman.

She was abusive both mentally and physically, but I was a virgin at that point and lonely and dumb.

After 4 months we moved in together and things became much worse. I lost 3 teeth, had both my arms broken, and had my hand and both feet broken as well. That’s not even including all the slaps, punches, beatings with belts, and forced sodomy.

She raped me and convinced me that was what sex felt like. She’d make me sleep outside in the car if I offended her. She cut me off from friends and family and convinced me only she loved me, that I was too broken for anyone else. I believed that, too.

She started drinking a lot more and began smashing my favorite things if I dared stand up to her. I lost a lot of favorite things.

One day I just kind of woke up and pushed her down the stairs into the basement. She was super drunk at the time.

I called the police and put on my best act, which they kind of believed.

I was suspected for a bit. But her BAC was .18 at time of death and she had no signs of being pushed.

I still think I did the right thing.

quote:

I know this will sound like a fake ghost or alien fiction confession, but this is what I've experienced, believe it or don't I don't care. Me and my family (mom, dad, 3 younger sisters) moved in to a very old house in Vermont a couple years ago. I've always been creeped out by it and the random creeks and knocks that you get with any old house. Recently though I've started to have recurring dreams where I hang myself while the rest of my family is dead on the ground and it always ends with "me" coming back to life and saying some variation of "do it". The first few times I just brushed it off as just a random dream, but things have been getting stranger recently. Multiple times I woke up with scratch marks on my stomach and I often snap awake covered in sweat for no apparent reason.

I fully realize it could just be my imagination after watching too many amityville horror movies, but it feels real and I'm increasingly considering whether I should just do it before it gets any worse.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It's pretty hard to feel any animosity toward domestic abuse goon. If it was as hosed up as you say, well, everybody has a breaking point I guess.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was reminded of Martin Freeman's character in season 1 of the Fargo TV show

because, like, on the one hand, he murdered his wife, but on the other hand, his wife was a horrible person and I was glad to see her die, but on the first hand again, though, literal murder

Not sure if I'm glad that guy's ex is literally dead but I'm def glad he's free

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
What if the spooky is a ghost and an aliem at the same time?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Burn the house down and see if you still get the dreams

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

got any sevens posted:

Burn the house down and see if you still get the dreams

with everyone inside. :ssh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

what was the quote, "all of american horror is fundamentally about poor real estate investments"

If you just moved into a creepy old house, it's p believable you'd start to get scared about it and have bad dreams because that's like the entire horror genre

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

everybody snaps awake covered in sweat at least some of the time. and you're probably just scratching your own body in the middle of the night. trim your nails. I sometimes suddenly wake up at 3am with a terrible pain in my face and then i realize that i'm just biting the inside of my cheek really hard.

that or ghosts. you know who to call

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006
I fight for all those men who have their nuts in a vice grip
Is Murdergoon a male or female? The reason I ask is because if this was a male being abused it is something that mostly goes unnoticed and unheard. Domestic abusers can be of both sexes and it is not something that is addressed, mostly because the world/internet thinks all males who speak out about it are members of the /r/incel community.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

half coke half diet posted:

Is Murdergoon a male or female? The reason I ask is because if this was a male being abused it is something that mostly goes unnoticed and unheard. Domestic abusers can be of both sexes and it is not something that is addressed, mostly because the world/internet thinks all males who speak out about it are members of the /r/incel community.

Yeah I called the cops on my ex girlfriend once after, during a heated argument, she hit me in the head with a wine glass and punched me a couple times in the face. She was verbally/emotionally abusive before that but had never escalated to physical violence until that point (she would continue this trend and I eventually got rid of her).

I had a clear mark on my head when the cops came in to evaluate the situation (which I thought was the needed evidence to put her in jail). She pulled the crying act and got off without anything, the cops gave me the info for the domestic abuse hotline and suggested I go get a hotel or something for the night but that was it.

I don’t really begrudge anyone in my story, but I do think it’s bullshit because I’m nearly sure if the roles were reversed I’d be taken to jail and had charges pressed against me. It’s a strong case for why we need feminism in my opinion. Women can’t expect equal rights but be able to get away with this kind of abusive behavior.

Job Goon: I think you need to talk with your wife if you haven’t already. Communication is key in relationships after all. Discuss how you’re feeling and make a plan with her on how to move forward before doing anything.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

It's always been slightly weird to me that people blame "feminism" for the lack of discussion of domestic violence against men. The idea that "men can't be abused because they're so much stronger/more assertive than women" is the same sort of outdated gender role that feminism opposes.

The complicating factor is that there are a bunch of MRAs who only care about issues like domestic violence against men as a derail of a discussion about women's issues. Then there are more reasonable people who care about such issues, but who don't really want to bring them up for fear of taking away space from the more common case of domestic violence against women. The MRAs take this as evidence that people "don't care about" it, which isn't true; it's just that people don't want to have that conversation in the context of "what about the mens".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Historically it's usually the man commuting the abuse. The cop at least didnt call you a pussy and teach you how to best choke slam her like she was a POC.
Baby steps.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.
Goon working on getting people banned: Can you focus your efforts on PCOS Bill for a while? Wouldn't mind seeing him banned.

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

Incoherence posted:

Then there are more reasonable people who care about such issues, but who don't really want to bring them up for fear of taking away space from the more common case of domestic violence against women. The MRAs take this as evidence that people "don't care about" it, which isn't true; it's just that people don't want to have that conversation in the context of "what about the mens".

I read your statement and cringed. You realized you just marginalized a potential male abuse victim because domestic violence happens against women. Keep thinking that domestic violence is just a one way street, if it makes you feel better.

Reasonable people don't speak up against male domestic abuse against men because they are pushed aside to point out that women are abused too and that is the real problem. Not that domestic violence from either partner towards the other is bad, mind you the LOGICAL thinking in the matter. But in doing so you will be labeled a horrific person that does not empathize with the plight of women everywhere.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Hello, visitor from MRA planet. Male domestic abuse victims and female abusers are absolutely a thing; nobody disagrees with that. It's been brought up in this thread and the other anon thread, the r/relationships thread, the e/n breakup thread where the male victims get tons of support. I strongly encourage you to read some more on the topic and maybe even do something to work towards ending domestic violence, instead of just posting about how you're so oppressed you're the only one brave enough to mention it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Incoherence posted:

The complicating factor is that there are a bunch of MRAs who only care about issues like domestic violence against men as a derail of a discussion about women's issues. Then there are more reasonable people who care about such issues, but who don't really want to bring them up for fear of taking away space from the more common case of domestic violence against women. The MRAs take this as evidence that people "don't care about" it, which isn't true; it's just that people don't want to have that conversation in the context of "what about the mens".

Pro tip: They are not reasonable people, they are loving idiots and equating a tiny proportion of the population (MRAs; a loving subreddit of incel morons) as even worthy of consideration is monumentally stupid on a level that cannot adequately be expressed. Making domestic violence a gender issue is indicative of how loving stupid the population of this planet is right now.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I don’t think that’s necessarily the issue. Most feminists that I’ve talked to recognize the problem, but it’s an issue of emphasis and limited resources.

Quite frankly it happens to women a lot more often, and the same attitudes that feminism seeks to erode are the same ones that lead to the stigma against male victims. So it’s understandable why the focus would be where it is.

There’s absolutely a space for us men to look out for and take care of male victims of rape and abuse, it’s just that the MRA types are more interested in trying to score a gotcha against feminism than doing that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Don't marry someone that is physically capable of hurting you. This is why I only date quadriplegic pacifists.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That’s why I only date ch—ahhh, nice try Chris.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
- Critiquing the foundation of a social interest movement because it doesn't focus on another/all permutations of the same problem.
- Attacking someone who's demanding recognition of another permutation of the same problem, because it undesirably broadens the scope of he main issue.

Both stupid, unproductive things, done by people who like having the conversation to help draw lines in the sand and pick sides rather than to discuss issues.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I think it's sad that patriarchy made it so pence cant control himself and cannot trust himself to be around non-wife, non-mom, women alone and has to take long horse rides to get rid of this emotional turmoil
what a bad way to live.

still, he's the vp so maybe it works idk

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Anne Whateley posted:

Hello, visitor from MRA planet. Male domestic abuse victims and female abusers are absolutely a thing; nobody disagrees with that. It's been brought up in this thread and the other anon thread, the r/relationships thread, the e/n breakup thread where the male victims get tons of support. I strongly encourage you to read some more on the topic and maybe even do something to work towards ending domestic violence, instead of just posting about how you're so oppressed you're the only one brave enough to mention it.

Wait a minute, I’m a bit confused. Who’s the MRA you and others are discussing? Is it me? Because I’m totally not an MRA. I was just in an abusive relationship and something lovely happened to me. My stance I mentioned earlier was actually fortified by a hardcore feminist type when I told her about it.

My interpretation of feminism is usually along the lines of removing any and all double standards/prejudices between both genders (this mostly applies to women naturally, but in some cases also men). Domestic abuse is a two way street and I think marginalizing one type in favor of the other is bad news bears and only creates more resentment between both sets.

Sexual assault is another issue where I’ve been seeing this, though probably not on the level of domestic violence. I’ve been sexually assaulted as well (yeah I’ve been in some lovely relationships). When that whole ‘me too’ thing happened on Facebook I noticed a lot of people on my feed were calling out men who were posting it as ‘trolling edgelords’ and I’m like what the gently caress? It’s pretty wrong for people to immediately assume that of men who posted that without any further context. Yeah some might being assholes, but others might be trying to show that sexual assault loving sucks and are trying to establish dialogue/support/further awareness.

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

facebook jihad posted:

Wait a minute, I’m a bit confused. Who’s the MRA you and others are discussing? Is it me? Because I’m totally not an MRA. I was just in an abusive relationship and something lovely happened to me. My stance I mentioned earlier was actually fortified by a hardcore feminist type when I told her about it.

I think that was for me because I pointed out that domestic violence is a human problem, which is when the usual "jump on him he is a MRA" poo poo happens.

MRA != Incel just like Feminist != 3rd Wave Feminist

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

I think that was for me because I pointed out that domestic violence is a human problem, which is when the usual "jump on him he is a MRA" poo poo happens.

MRA != Incel just like Feminist != 3rd Wave Feminist
It was for you, but it wasn't because you "pointed out that domestic violence is a human problem" (which everybody knows), it was for this nonsensical MRA party line

I read your statement and cringed. You realized you just marginalized a potential male abuse victim because domestic violence happens against women. Keep thinking that domestic violence is just a one way street, if it makes you feel better.

Reasonable people don't speak up against male domestic abuse against men because they are pushed aside to point out that women are abused too and that is the real problem. Not that domestic violence from either partner towards the other is bad, mind you the LOGICAL thinking in the matter. But in doing so you will be labeled a horrific person that does not empathize with the plight of women everywhere.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

One time I passed out in a hallway at a party and later on one of my roommates saw this girl we knew loving me right there while I was unconscious. We still tell that story and laugh about it. We gave her the nickname "Rapey Carrie." Personally I thought it was hilarious, and I have no idea how she managed it cause my dick must have been like a wet noodle, but whatever.

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

It was for you, but it wasn't because you "pointed out that domestic violence is a human problem" (which everybody knows), it was for this nonsensical MRA party line

Yes something that effects every sex is a nonsensical MRA party line

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Domestic violence is not an MRA party line. Being against domestic violence is not an MRA party line. The poo poo you posted is an MRA party line.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

I said nothing of the sort, and the fact that you read that into my post says a lot about you. If anything, a story like the anonymous confession is a great way to remind everyone that yes, men can be victims of abuse, and that they tend to have problems getting people to believe them.

If you prefer this phrasing, this post is making the same point:

fruit on the bottom posted:

I don't think that's necessarily the issue. Most feminists that I've talked to recognize the problem, but it's an issue of emphasis and limited resources.

Quite frankly it happens to women a lot more often, and the same attitudes that feminism seeks to erode are the same ones that lead to the stigma against male victims. So it's understandable why the focus would be where it is.

There's absolutely a space for us men to look out for and take care of male victims of rape and abuse, it's just that the MRA types are more interested in trying to score a gotcha against feminism than doing that.

half coke half diet
Feb 3, 2006

Incoherence posted:

I said nothing of the sort, and the fact that you read that into my post says a lot about you. If anything, a story like the anonymous confession is a great way to remind everyone that yes, men can be victims of abuse, and that they tend to have problems getting people to believe them.

If you prefer this phrasing, this post is making the same point:

If I misread it I misread it and you followed up, I appreciate that and you are right I read it the wrong way. Now if only we could figure out if Murdergoon is M/F that would make my day a bit more complete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
When it comes to the topic of murder I must say I'm against it