Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, I feel like the problem is fixable; it just means going to a model where we're paying $1 a month to all the sites we regularly use instead of having our data be the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

sure hope you're hosting it on your own server then because lol

Good advice! am also planning on "uploading" them into the safest form of all, physical media buried in a chest under the ground

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my webcomic is already physical, highly physical, outrageously physical, grunting and flexing inside its sealed vault

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

FunkyAl posted:

e: also your website and comics will be less likely to die when venture capital runs out and google and amazon realize they are suspended in midair over the grand canyon and the effects of gravity begin to take place, so to speak

Amazon's cloud services make them ridiculously big money. That whole "store" thing they've been loving around with since 1994 is the real boondoggle. They're a weird case, though, because as soon as they notice they're making a profit, they figure out some new insane scheme to invest in to eliminate it. Google has tried to do the same thing, but they make so drat much money that they haven't been able to cancel it all out no matter what stupid thing they try.

Twitter, though, they've been tapdancing on the edge of the abyss pretty much since they opened. So, yeah, if you want your comic to be around for the long haul, you've got a lot better options than that.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

idonotlikepeas posted:

Amazon's cloud services make them ridiculously big money. That whole "store" thing they've been loving around with since 1994 is the real boondoggle. They're a weird case, though, because as soon as they notice they're making a profit, they figure out some new insane scheme to invest in to eliminate it. Google has tried to do the same thing, but they make so drat much money that they haven't been able to cancel it all out no matter what stupid thing they try.

Twitter, though, they've been tapdancing on the edge of the abyss pretty much since they opened. So, yeah, if you want your comic to be around for the long haul, you've got a lot better options than that.

Do you have any sources to cite on the Amazon store being a boondoggle? Not that I doubt it, I just want to know the broader facts.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Lobe posted:

Do you have any sources to cite on the Amazon store being a boondoggle? Not that I doubt it, I just want to know the broader facts.

Amazon's entire business model is undercutting every single other store on Earth, online and off, so that they can establish universal monopoly and crown Jeff Bezos as God-Emperor of the World. They have never made money from the store; mostly because shipping is expensive. They do make money from AWS, though.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/27/it-looks-like-amazon-would-be-losing-a-lot-of-money-if-not-for-aws/
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/28/retailers-be-warned-amazon-isnt-worried-about-making-money-right-now.html
https://www.geekwire.com/2017/true-cost-convenience-amazons-annual-shipping-losses-top-7b-first-time/
http://fortune.com/2017/02/23/retailers-lose-money-to-amazon/

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah they could make it pretty profitable again pretty quickly if they needed to but they've been working for the last few years to Walmart every remaining retail business in the country, hence all the emphasis on otherwise ruinously expensive poo poo like the two-day shipping and drone crap

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the old ceremony posted:

my webcomic is already physical, highly physical, outrageously physical, grunting and flexing inside its sealed vault

the warner brothers (and sister)?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

AriadneThread posted:

the warner brothers (and sister)?
less cute, more nipples

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ah, my fanart of the warner brothers

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Mildred Haversham in: The Worst Idea.

Numero6 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 23, 2017

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The look on Tim's face when he realises he's trapped in a garage with Mildred and with only a fork to defend himself with.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You can self host but I have never figured out how to get anybody to notice your comic if you do so.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yikes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm going to trust Mildred and that she can get out of this. Either Tim shows her proof he's got a dangerous invention and gets thrown to jail, or he proves he's an even more of a terrible person by flirting with her and she gets him sent to jail for that. Either way, that'd be the end for Tim.

Well, that or Mildred tells Neil and he breaks Tim in half.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

amigolupus posted:

I'm going to trust Mildred and that she can get out of this. Either Tim shows her proof he's got a dangerous invention and gets thrown to jail, or he proves he's an even more of a terrible person by flirting with her and she gets him sent to jail for that. Either way, that'd be the end for Tim.

Well, that or Mildred tells Neil and he breaks Tim in half.

he kind of just sat back and watched her crawl all over Eustace

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How easy must it be to run a comics syndicate. People just send you whatever garbage and you just have to make sure it doesn't include any slang for penis and that's probably 95% of your day

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Eustace/Mildred was like 15/21, and he didn't sit back, he just asked her mother to tell her to stop, which is one of my favorite jokes.

"Does Daddy want me to stop coming to his work?"
"Of course not, darling."
"...does Daddy want me to stop teasing the science men?"
"You just made this very easy."

Tim/Mildred is like 38/16, which is completely different.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Eustace was 24, but Mildred had it all worked out

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are Mildred and Linton eventually going to hook up as the horniest of the mystery kids?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'll admit, I didn't saw it as flirting, more like Mildred was poking fun at him. And Neil did do something to stop her making fun of Eustace.

Now that you mention it, we still haven't seen Mildred's reaction to Eustace coming back alive, huh? Though that page makes me think she'd have moved on from him by now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Red Metal posted:

well at least tumblr lets you tag things so you can read all of a single comic in a row, right?

right?

Good news: Looks like he's gone back and tagged all the comics, and Tumblr has a secret chronological view feature. So if you want to read, for instance, all of Magical Merlin, you could open up the "magicalmerlin" tag to view all the Magical Merlin comics (unless he forgets to tag one), and then stick "/chrono" at the end of it to view it in chronological order instead of reverse chronological order, like this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bongo Bill posted:

Good news: Looks like he's gone back and tagged all the comics, and Tumblr has a secret chronological view feature. So if you want to read, for instance, all of Magical Merlin, you could open up the "magicalmerlin" tag to view all the Magical Merlin comics (unless he forgets to tag one), and then stick "/chrono" at the end of it to view it in chronological order instead of reverse chronological order, like this.

...how did that feature ever even get discovered, tumblr has less documentation than my sneakers

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Fangz posted:

You can self host but I have never figured out how to get anybody to notice your comic if you do so.

if you self host either zero people or an amount greater than zero will read your comic, if you host on smackjeeves an exact number of people, let's say 106, will read your comic, but this number will never increase or go down

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If making webcomics isn't by and large about toiling in obscurity for years with a dearth of reader feedback then I guess I've been doing it wrong but it's too late to bother changing up my workflow now.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Fortis posted:

If making webcomics isn't by and large about toiling in obscurity for years with a dearth of reader feedback then I guess I've been doing it wrong but it's too late to bother changing up my workflow now.

it's certainly a part of the process but it shouldn't last forever. it's okay to quit and come back because when you come back you know more and you're more of a person etc.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

FunkyAl posted:

it's certainly a part of the process but it shouldn't last forever. it's okay to quit and come back because when you come back you know more and you're more of a person etc.

Nothing bothers me more than a webcomic I enjoy stopping abruptly. I don't blame the author for it but it still really sticks in my craw. As such, I could never do that myself. I'm finishing this thing come hell or high water. I will probably be in my late thirties/early forties still drawing big slime monsters punching big skull monsters and cats turning into catapults but god drat it I'm gonna do it!

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
my very first webcomic was set up on wordpress, which i was completely incapable of using, but it was worth it just for the stats because i got to show my grandmother that someone in iceland had viewed the site and she got really excited and started pressuring me to send my portfolio to marvel (lol) because i was now an international superstar

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

amigolupus posted:

I'll admit, I didn't saw it as flirting, more like Mildred was poking fun at him. And Neil did do something to stop her making fun of Eustace.

Now that you mention it, we still haven't seen Mildred's reaction to Eustace coming back alive, huh? Though that page makes me think she'd have moved on from him by now.

Eustace was undergoing a rapidly accelerating metamorphosis into a "Tim" due to exposure to a volatile cocktail of Winters and Science which ultimately resulted in a fatal overdose of Hubris, so maybe she has a type. Or maybe she is a hereto unknown scion of the Winters family.

Edit: Gah! Eustace literally became a white horse named Science, maybe Tim could be a black horse named Hubris. Then all we need is a red horse and a pale horse to complete the set!

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 24, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fortis posted:

Nothing bothers me more than a webcomic I enjoy stopping abruptly. I don't blame the author for it but it still really sticks in my craw. As such, I could never do that myself. I'm finishing this thing come hell or high water. I will probably be in my late thirties/early forties still drawing big slime monsters punching big skull monsters and cats turning into catapults but god drat it I'm gonna do it!
That's pretty pure sunk cost fallacy. If you have a better idea, a way to make a better product, a better comic, you should definitely pursue the possibility. Don't dump you comic at the first sign you have another idea, obviously, but consider both your own long-term interests, and how to make the best comic you can possibly make.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh good mildred has at least the barest amount of sense

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

oh good mildred has at least the barest amount of sense
I almost want to read this comic just to get context on this moment.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

PMush Perfect posted:

That's pretty pure sunk cost fallacy. If you have a better idea, a way to make a better product, a better comic, you should definitely pursue the possibility. Don't dump you comic at the first sign you have another idea, obviously, but consider both your own long-term interests, and how to make the best comic you can possibly make.

In all honesty I think my comic is cool and good. Initially I was just making a joke about the frustration I think all webcomic artists experience at some point. The past six years have been a blast for me because I honestly just love making stuff, and keeping up with a single story provides me the direction I need to actually continue doing it without losing focus and loving off. Ultimately, my own artistic growth and having a completed story under my belt are my primary long-term interests.

(That said, everyone, please read http://www.bsfantasy-comic.com, thank you.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The key to becoming a popular webcomic artist is, as far as I can tell, either:

a) To start 20 years ago or

b) To become friends with other popular webcomic artists and up and comers and get them to promote your work.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

The key to becoming a popular webcomic artist is, as far as I can tell, either:

a) To start 20 years ago or

b) To become friends with other popular webcomic artists and up and comers and get them to promote your work.

c) reach heaven through violence

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

A.o.D. posted:

c) reach heaven through violence

you forgot (d) make and distribute comics offline

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Huh, looking at the previous comic and it's actually quite obvious that Mildred is setting up to swipe the keys, but of course nobody noticed.

Ace misdirection.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
What, the part where she explicitly announced a few days ago that that was her plan wasn't a tip-off?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Straight White Shark posted:

What, the part where she explicitly announced a few days ago that that was her plan wasn't a tip-off?

I think we were, like Tim, put off balance by her strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Speaking of webcomics abruptly ending, The Abominable Charles Christopher has made its first update in over a year.