Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

The MSJ posted:

Tyler Perry is making more than Madea movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NazF97Dol04

This is a fantastic trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That's intense. I'm going to see that.

She had a lot of great scenes in PoI. I bet she's going to sell the hell out of that role.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tyler Perry is super nice and routinely leaves servers a standard flat 300 dollar tip. I feel like we should spread as many stories of celebrities being nice as we do when they suck.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hope i can see this sometime! Man on the Moon is great.

Powaqoatse posted:

theyre riding horses on the youtube thumbnail

this is intensely hosed up

Pence is gonna see it every day like Titanic

FoneBone posted:

Re: Theron, how could you all forget the timeless classics that are Mighty Joe Young and The Legend of Bagger Vance.

I didnt :). I love Bagger Vance

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

kiimo posted:

Tyler Perry is super nice and routinely leaves servers a standard flat 300 dollar tip. I feel like we should spread as many stories of celebrities being nice as we do when they suck.

He's known for firing people who look him in the eyes, or for wanting fair compensation for their work. But he conspicuously leaves big tips at restaurants so he must be great!

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNsiQMeSvMk

Phantom Thread

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The MSJ posted:

Love the total lack of irony.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cvnvcnv posted:

He's known for firing people who look him in the eyes, or for wanting fair compensation for their work. But he conspicuously leaves big tips at restaurants so he must be great!

I thought that was Steve Harvey. Anyways, Tyler Perry has a kicksss RC plane collection with an actual airport for his giant rear end planes

Unrelated to all that, here’s a trailer for a movie that will probably be very loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNsiQMeSvMk

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy poo poo Phantom Thread comes out this year!?

Everyone vying for a Best Actor oscar just collectively sighed in defeat

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't know why I just now looked on IMDB if Jonny Greenwood was doing the soundtrack, because the music in the trailer itself made that obvious.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I thought Daniel Day Lewis retired? Either way, that trailer was enthralling and I want very much to watch that movie.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought Daniel Day Lewis retired? Either way, that trailer was enthralling and I want very much to watch that movie.

This is the movie that caused him to retire and become a dressmaker

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

rawillkill posted:

This is the movie that caused him to retire and become a dressmaker

Jared Leto should take notes on how to properly method act.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

When I read he blinded himself on the set of Blade Runner 2h49m I thought our boy Jared finally did it. Then it turned out he only wore contacts.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Daniel Day Lewis has been retiring and un-retiring repeatedly over the last decade and a half.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pierogi posted:

When I read he blinded himself on the set of Blade Runner 2h49m I thought our boy Jared finally did it. Then it turned out he only wore contacts.

Har

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

My #1 most anticipated movie right here. Day-Lewis + Anderson is the best duo since Scorsese + De Niro.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrandpaPants posted:

He'll never touch the master.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Jesus I didn't realize The Sacrifice is over 4 hours long! Looks like Im going to get be getting home late tomorrow

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

I have not heard either of those things but lovely if true.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I have not heard that about Perry either but can 100% confirm the "don't look him in the eyes" thing with Stallone.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Dillbag posted:

I have not heard that about Perry either but can 100% confirm the "don't look him in the eyes" thing with Stallone.

Did Stallone fire you?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Perry most famously had some writers of his picket outside his studios after being fired for wanting to unionize, realizing they were being exploited on this TV show assembly line. Idk how much a search would yield but Atlanta residents have long been treated to consistent tales of his conduct. None of this to say he's flatly unprofessional or fails to get things done but he's locally well known to be exploitative in pay and treatment of employees.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

GrandpaPants posted:

Did Stallone fire you?

Na, but I know a couple people that worked on D-Tox and he and his people were a bunch of jerk-asses. But the "cup the balls" story from Cliffhanger makes up for it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh Stallone is a jerkbag but it's completely hilarious. I was listening in on a call he was making to my boss doing the campaign for Bullet to the Head. He STARTS the conversation rattling off more gems than I could even process in the first 30 seconds.

"Ay oh Chris yo this is SLY yo listen gotta talk fast this goddam ducati is so fuckin loud I'm gonna get my money back ay listen you gotta change the poster ya know that asian guy whatever his name is he shouldn't be one it he should like, ya know, be in front of a LAUNDRY or something ha hey you my face you also gotta fix my face yo. It looks like Madonna's snatch."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

YUP!

Also, Anderson is his own DP this time, so it should be interesting to dissect.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

GrandpaPants posted:

He announced his retirement after Phantom Thread had finished filming.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I assume most famous people are assholes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

GrandpaPants posted:

Did Stallone fire you?

I knew people that worked on Driven that were explicitly told not to talk or look at Mr. Stallone unless their job required it (ADs etc.), and even then don't get chummy. It's a pretty lovely move even if you don't get anyone fired.

Super Fan posted:

I assume most famous people are assholes.

Many are. From my limited "film career" Jackie Chan and Chow Yun-fat had nearly zero ego and were great to work with.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FoneBone posted:

Re: Theron, how could you all forget the timeless classics that are Mighty Joe Young and The Legend of Bagger Vance.

OR TRIAL AND ERROR? She's literally the only thing I remember about this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovjozNW3Az0&t=3074s

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Indolent Bastard posted:

I knew people that worked on Driven that were explicitly told not to talk or look at Mr. Stallone unless their job required it (ADs etc.), and even then don't get chummy. It's a pretty lovely move even if you don't get anyone fired.

Many are. From my limited "film career" Jackie Chan and Chow Yun-fat had nearly zero ego and were great to work with.

Jackie seems pathologically nice, bordering on weird

quote:

"My first impression of him was, we were in Inner Mongolia, and he comes riding up on one of those electric scooters, a Segway scooter, with this beautiful green Chinese military trench coat on," says Johnny Knoxville, who made a movie called Skiptrace with Jackie in various regions of mainland China a year or so ago. "It's a gorgeous jacket. And it's so cold that day. I'm like, 'Oh, that's a wonderful jacket.' He's like, 'You like it? It's yours.' And he just gives me the jacket right off his back. I was like, 'No, I wasn't going for that,' and he's like, 'No. No. Yours.' He gave me two or three jackets on that movie."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

I've heard this is often overzealous handlers, not lovely talent. Heard a comic's story on a podcast about (iirc) Eddie Murphy's handlers doing the whole "don't look him in the eyes, don't talk to him, etc." thing, then he just arrived on set and chilled and shot the poo poo with all the extras.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

I just read this article about a Canadian doctor that specializes in treating refugees that might explain the jacket thing, but it's not something I've ever witnessed in Hong Kong / Cantonese culture.

quote:

Many of Scholtens' stories in the book highlight the cultural differences between herself and her patients.

In one example, she complimented a female patient's shoes unaware that by doing so in that woman's culture she was then obligated to give them to Scholtens.

Or maybe it's just yes Jackie's nice, bordering on weird.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm thinking it's more like Jackie has a lot of jackets, someone complimented his jacket that he had no particular affection for, he thought "I've got 1000 jackets, I'll give it to that guy who will appreciate it."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
e jacket was cursed

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQZL28DywEA

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This is a metaphor for being an actor that buys too many castles, right?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Taken Of Pelham One Two Three

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The MSJ posted:

A Tyler Perry movie I want to see? It's the end times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Love the total lack of irony.

Absolutely. There's so much dumb bullshit in that trailer but I'm going to watch it because it's completely serious about it.

• Locked thread