Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I personally don't like it for a variety of reasons, but I'm picky and in a minority here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'm not a big fan of VRAINS, but I can see it slowly improving.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I got bored around episode 8. It's nowhere near as bad as Zexal was starting off but it's just not working for me.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm digging it well enough, but i'm absurdly patient with toyetic animes. The story hooks are neat enough for me atm.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I feel the need to stress that the series has made a really stark uptick in quality since Episode 14 with the change in director.

I'm happy we're doing another Master Duel with the most recent episode, and they didn't make such a big deal of it like with Revolver to imply they're rare.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm enjoying Vrains a fair amount but I'd like it a lot more if my favorite character, the pro wrestler, showed up more often.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I feel the need to stress that the series has made a really stark uptick in quality since Episode 14 with the change in director.

I'm happy we're doing another Master Duel with the most recent episode, and they didn't make such a big deal of it like with Revolver to imply they're rare.

Weeks later, but I just watched through all of Vrains cause I figured I should probably check out the new yugioh and I thought the early stuff was pretty ok honestly. Outside of the like 4 episode Revolver duel which was too long and also very bad, but that did last for a 3rd of the entire show's entire run at the time I suppose. I mostly enjoyed my time watching it but man what a weird show. There's no card games in the 1st episode, the snarky ai buddy literally eats someone, link summoning is just kinda not explained, there's a loving recap in the first 13 episodes for some reason and thanks to the vr setting there's really weird characters like just a cartoon frog.

Some of the weirdness is pretty fun though, I like how every character just gets their own unique nonsense ability in speed duels and it's neat how vr means that deadly tornadoes just sorta happen and cages can materialise from nowhere as can a rose turn into a bone hand that crushes the ribs of the protagonist without even a duel. I like most of the characters too and I think they have pretty solid character beats even if everyone's super serious a lot of the time. Wish Yusaku had a better deck though, he's had some good duels but Cyberse's theme just being that the cards are sorta vaguely digital is kinda lame honestly and I don't like it.

It's a really strange show, still card games though so it's pretty good I think.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just found out about Attack the Moon!

I'm glad they made a card based on Yugi's bullshit in Duelist Kingdom.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh I didn't mind the earlier stuff either, I just know a lot of people did so I'm letting them know it's (imo, of course) worth another shot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, I like VRAINS mostly because it decided to take the giant risk that is having a Yu-Gi-Oh! protagonist that not only does not care about friendship, but actively rejects it, and cares about card games entirely as a tool for revenge (though with his fair share of honour).

Yusaku is just a really cool and unique protagonist for this series and I'm glad that the last few episodes have only gone in even harder on the revenge-obsessed loner personality instead of trying to redeem him early.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, what's there to redeem? Yusaku's a good dude who generally cares about people and often goes out of his way to help them. He is just justifiably real mad at some people and doesn't really care about making friends or involving others in what he considers his problem.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, i'm digging Yusaku well enough. His intentions are pure revenge, but he himself is noble enough. I really like that distinction, he knows he can't go back to being happy after his torture, but he is acting with a helping of wanting to save the person that helped him keep a shred of sanity and also make sure nobody else has to get in his path of vengeance.
I guess it's to better suit a more 'gray' villain: Yusaku has a bad ideal but is selfless and noble, meanwhile that doctor fella has a good ideal (assuming he's real about all the digital stuff eventually leading mankind to ruin or whatever) but is selfish and dishonorable about it.

I've been generally enjoying Vrains, and Yusaku's full backstory was a really good highlight, but it's not without its faults. The new director's been pretty good, the show's visuals have improved and just the sheer amount of new backgrounds have been enormous help. Akira has been surprising me with how good he's been; I was ready to not care for the 'too cool, but seemingly uncaring older brother' type, but how his archetype was used to instead clash with Yusaku in this duel was pretty great (and how cool the nerd poo poo was for his deck). I think the pacing is the biggest hurdle of the show thus far, but at the same time, this is a 3-year show, I am aware of what i'm getting myself into and why we only have Hints of what the stakes of the show will even be.

ATM my biggest thing is probably the desire of the Justice Avengers Society to just form already. Yusaku obviously doesn't want people to join him, but this is clearly what the show's going to get to and I want a consistent amount of Go already.

I also really dig how much numbers are used. With the 6 being present everywhere (6 ais, 6 kids, 6 months of hanoi, yusaku was 6 and akira 16 when poo poo happened, 6 shapes in revolver's tattoo), Yusaku and Revolver's 3 things thing, that big random countdown in the flashback room starting with 99,999,999. It just has enough hooks to make me want to theorize hard every other episode. Like how the Hanoi Project makes me think it's like a parallel to the Millenium Items' creation, like if Thief King Bakura was a protagonist, he'd be Yusaku.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 30, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, what's there to redeem? Yusaku's a good dude who generally cares about people and often goes out of his way to help them. He is just justifiably real mad at some people and doesn't really care about making friends or involving others in what he considers his problem.

He's revenge-obsessed and ruining his own life, that was the entire point of the last duel.

But I guess redeem was the wrong word, since Yusaku is still a fundamentally good person even if his mind can't break out of one specific thing he needs to do regardless of methods or consequences. I still expected him to be forcefully broken out of his loner personality soon because Friendship is as integral to Yu-Gi-Oh! as card games are. I guess he's learned to tolerate Ai more... ever-so-slightly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vrains is probably the most interesting Yu-Gi-Oh series I've seen since the Toei original (though GX is a close third). While it's still a major part I like that the core plot is focused on something other than just the card game (hell, you could probably replace the Duel scenes with straight combat and very little would change) and the pacing has really improved ever since they switched to a new director.

Considering your average Yu-Gi-Oh show is typically over 100 episodes long there's still plenty of time for things to go south but right now I've been enjoying it for the most part (I hope Go comes back soon though, he was fun).

To be fair, 5Ds, Zexal and Arc-V had some interesting ideas as well but they all kind of came apart twords the end. Hopefully Vrains manages to stick the landing.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 30, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's revenge-obsessed and ruining his own life, that was the entire point of the last duel.

But I guess redeem was the wrong word, since Yusaku is still a fundamentally good person even if his mind can't break out of one specific thing he needs to do regardless of methods or consequences. I still expected him to be forcefully broken out of his loner personality soon because Friendship is as integral to Yu-Gi-Oh! as card games are. I guess he's learned to tolerate Ai more... ever-so-slightly.

Not really? The duel seems pretty clear that Yusaku's a very tragic character and not in a good place right now, but his life was ruined before he decided to get revenge. It's not his fault. In fact Zaizen's the guy who's wrong. He's a good person who legitimately wants to help but he has no right to tell Yusaku that he should just stop when he doesn't know a thing about the kid in the first place. He doesn't know Yusaku tried for 10 years in therapy to move on, he doesn't know Yusaku has friends who can't even leave the house because of what happened, he doesn't know Yusaku at all and is projecting his own experiences onto him that don't fit and show he doesn't understand at all. He's revenge obsessed and it's not having a good impact on his life, but even if he stopped he wouldn't be having a normal fun childhood, and he's doing it to save someone who saved him and help the other kids who got rescued. The duel portrays him as pretty in the right honestly.

If anyone's ruining their own life it's Zaizen. Considering the whole unsubtle metaphor about how his ace monster gets stronger when the cards representing a positive relationship between himself and his sister are dead in the grave.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, where the previous shows this bad about clip show episodes? We just had one about 2 months ago after all and there was barely even anything to remember this time (AI's narration was kind of funny though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 5, 2017

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

With the exception of Arc-V, yes.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Hey, at least we got some dumb pic's out of it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

How did Yusei cheat again? Is it just because he doesn't need to have any cards in his extra deck or what?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Testekill posted:

How did Yusei cheat again? Is it just because he doesn't need to have any cards in his extra deck or what?

He created Saviour Dragon (and, consequently, Saviour Star Dragon) out of nowhere every time they had to be used, thus modifying his decks mid-match. He also did it once for the other Stardust evolutions but they then became normal parts of his Extra Deck so that's fine.

In general Yusei's one of the more fair protagonists though, he could only create one card out of nowhere and said card stopped mattering once the Dark Signers arc ended.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaden was the most fair though, he was just inexplicably lucky.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

At one point Jaden used Polymerisation to fuse himself with the person he was dueling, which I guess was still using a legal card he's always had and all but it feels like that thing should be sorta against the rules.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It was Super Polymerization and the person he was duelling was a card themself and it was in monster world so that's totally legal. More legal than his opponent trying to use it to fuse the twelve layers of reality, anyway.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Judai is the least cheaty character. The main 'cheat' thing he did was use the Philosopher's Stone that his teacher made that could function as another card 3 times before fading away. And he didn't make that card and it was legally in his deck before then I believe.

EDIT: And he used it to create LEGAL cards, not "Whatever I can imagine"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

Judai is the least cheaty character. The main 'cheat' thing he did was use the Philosopher's Stone that his teacher made that could function as another card 3 times before fading away. And he didn't make that card and it was legally in his deck before then I believe.

EDIT: And he used it to create LEGAL cards, not "Whatever I can imagine"

Technically he imagined Neo Spacians :v:

But seriously as far as protagonists go, Jaden is the most fair duelist so far.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dabir posted:

It was Super Polymerization and the person he was duelling was a card themself and it was in monster world so that's totally legal. More legal than his opponent trying to use it to fuse the twelve layers of reality, anyway.

I irrationally hate this sequence because it shows Yubel running Gate Guardian for a level 11 even though one of her own forms is Level 11, and Chain Material lets you use materials in the grave. :goonsay:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Clearly Yubel is a memelord who runs Gate Guardian for the lolz?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

I irrationally hate this sequence because it shows Yubel running Gate Guardian for a level 11 even though one of her own forms is Level 11, and Chain Material lets you use materials in the grave. :goonsay:

Didn't it also show Obelisk too (at least in the non-dub)? I think they just randomly added cards.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/momentcorefly/status/835437355775344641

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad the coolest character is back and destroyed 4 people in a spaceboard fight and is about to beat up this nerd.

Anyway, I like that Go is dueling for the fate of a bunch of teenage coma patients but all the audience watching cares about is whether he's going to be able to recover his falling popularity. Vrains is kinda silly sometimes. :allears:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Whoever on the team decided that Go as a kid should have his massive head, a mullet and a skinny body deserves a raise. I was dying throughout that episode.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

This was the best episode. Of anything. Ever.

I will cheer Dark Onizuka forever, and his DNA cannot be stopped.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr. Genome sure is an intolerable opponent. DNA DNA DNA DNshut the gently caress up.

Dark Onizuka is the best and that he's fully willing to go hell for ENTERTAINMENT makes me wish he could meet Jack, they'd be friends for sure.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
:drat: Dark Onizuka was a nice touch, the second I say Ogre get a mask, I knew it was time for the Heel Turn!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh My God, he uses the Poison Mist. Dark Onizuka is incredible!! :swoon:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh My God, he uses the Poison Mist. Dark Onizuka is incredible!! :swoon:

the actual card better require you to do the mist irl

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Yu-Gi-Oh! Players Banned From Gaming Stores for Spraying Noxious Gas - OCT 2007

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hjalmar posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh! Players Banned From Gaming Stores for Spraying Noxious Gas - OCT 2007

Dario Cueto needs to open a gameshop where people can TRULY duel.

Wheel of Shadow Realm and a Weapons of Mass Destruction Duel.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I love how the Red LP Danger Zone was pretty much avoidable, but hey, incredible comebacks are pretty much par for the course with Yugioh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That twitch marathon is going to start soon.